Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Renault is filled with a bunch of cowards who will never be as successful racing point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Khablam posted:

You're missing the greater point.
They're not running Merc's brake ducts this year. They're running their own, which happen to be identical to last year's Merc, like the rest of the car.
Racing point claim they copied the car from photographs, and showed the FIA some CAD drawings and "work in the margins" which "proves" the car was uniquely designed for them.

The brake ducts became a listed part.
Racing point forgot to make up their CAD drawings for it. Renault got wind (inside man at a guess) that they didn't fudge the CADs for the brake ducts, and protested it as a litmus test that the rest of the car is so made.
They won.

I expect they've got a list of other unique parts they can protest, so now it's a race to see if Racing point can make up their data for any other parts RP claim they're making.
Inside geometry of the airducts, diffusers, that kind of thing.

It's not over.

This is all assuming that RP paid Merc for blueprints for the entire car. They bought the blueprints for the brake ducts in 2019 because they were allowed to. You can't "unlearn" that knowledge for your 2020 copy. This is the basis for Renault's protest, that RP was using the old (now illegal) blueprints on the car. If Merc had sold them the blueprints for the entire car, then they would also be going against the rules, and Merc isn't going to do anything to jeopardize a title for their precious baby boy.

The majority of the aero surfaces are visible so I do believe that RP could just outright copy it from photographs. All you need to know is the size of a real world reference (like the tyres), the focal length of the lens, and the distance to the object (or another photo of the same point from a different angle) and from there you can calculate the actual dimensions of anything from a photograph.

Not that RP would need to do that because they probably bought every available photo of the 2019 Merc from all of the photographers wandering around the paddock.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Slotducks posted:

Ehhhh but didn't the brake ducts they bought last year also contain valuable data not surrounding the brake ducts itself but the things it mated with?

you can read the whole thing here:

https://www.fia.com/news/f1-renault-protest-decision

don't see anything about that

This bit made me LOL though:

"Well the rules are ambiguous so we have to default to French law and thus Renault wins"

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Wonder how large that check was lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

looooooolllll

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Lamo the sound Sebs engine makes when it let's go is fantastic

https://streamable.com/f79nnr

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Now that racism has been seconded, will F1 be voting on racism with a yea/nay show of hands?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Renault will still lose and i will still lmao

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Now that racism has been seconded, will F1 be voting on racism with a yea/nay show of hands?
We're waiting to hear from the French courts on how we do this.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Racism costs you 2 points but further racism will only result in a reprimand, they feel it unreasonable to ask teams to suddenly stop being racist in the middle of the season.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Teams are limited to a sliding scale of sensitivity training hours depending on last year's constructors standings

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You can pay the FIA undisclosed amounts of money off the books in order to settle secret tribunal decisions on your racism

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

GramCracker posted:

Lamo the sound Sebs engine makes when it let's go is fantastic

https://streamable.com/f79nnr

you can see that he went wide on that corner before the engine died, i refuse to believe that car is so bad thats undrivable

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
https://twitter.com/f1/status/1291818166449053699

the storyline of this season will be the tracing point saga

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Frank Prisinzano, a very accomplished New York chef, has gone on a rant about using cast iron because idiot hipsters keep asking him about it.
"This is really comical to me because we’re way past cast-iron now."

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Zeta Acosta posted:

https://twitter.com/f1/status/1291818166449053699

the storyline of this season will be the tracing point saga

Unclear to me is, are they appealing because the decision was not strong enough or go far enough or is it because they think it was too harsh and should be lessoned or reversed?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheBacon posted:

Unclear to me is, are they appealing because the decision was not strong enough or go far enough or is it because they think it was too harsh and should be lessoned or reversed?

maybe the bit about banning photographic copying, which seems unenforcable
    "We do plan with very short notice to introduce some amendments to the 2021 sporting regulations that will prevent this becoming the norm," said Tombazis.

"This will prevent teams from using extensive part of photos to copy whole portions of other cars in the way that Racing Point has done.

"We will still accept individual components to be copied in local areas, but we don't want the whole car to be fundamentally a copy of another car."
https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/copy-designs-outlawed-2021-tombazis/4851201/

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I think they think it’s not harsh enough because they got a penalty last year for their engine, and they had to stop using it. So, maybe the appeal is to ask why Racing Point can continue to use the brakes, while they weren’t allowed to keep using their engine.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
God forbid a team become competitive in F1. We can’t have that lmfao

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Pragmatica posted:

I think they think it’s not harsh enough because they got a penalty last year for their engine, and they had to stop using it. So, maybe the appeal is to ask why Racing Point can continue to use the brakes, while they weren’t allowed to keep using their engine.

Ferrari had months to redesign their engine. Racing Point has two days until the next race. What the gently caress do people expect the FIA to do? Ask Racing Point to go make a design that's more crap?

Like how are they supposed to unlearn what they've already learned about the 2019 Merc design? Even if the RP20 is banned from competition for 2021, and RP have to make an all new version I bet you anything the car they come up with is going to look quite a bit like the old one. They now have a design philosophy that works, they can continue to make evolution's on it that is 100% their own work and research but still be fundamentally a 2019 Merc as it's basis.

[edit] Rebus, please correct me if my assumptions are wrong. I can only guess at how engineering at this level works.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 7, 2020

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial posted:

Ferrari had months to redesign their engine. Racing Point has two days until the next race. What the gently caress do people expect the FIA to do? Ask Racing Point to go make a design that's more crap?

Like how are they supposed to unlearn what they've already learned about the 2019 Merc design? Even if the RP20 is banned from competition for 2021, and RP have to make an all new version I bet you anything the car they come up with is going to look quite a bit like the old one.

ban racing point and jail toto wolff or let ferrari bring back the special engine

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
renault has united the entire paddock to rally behind racing point. lmfao good job frogs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If I understood correctly, they can continue using the car as is because this was a sporting violation (they copied), not a technical violation (every part is within legal parameters). And they were given some leniency because it was arguably a grey area (which they should have made sure to clarify).

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
Oh I know. This is going to blow up spectacularly in Ferrari’s face if this is their angle.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

https://www.humblebundle.com is giving away pc copies of F1 2018. Fernando Alonso is in the game. The game is set in the year 2018. Guillermo del Toro wins Best Picture for The Shape of Water even though Pan's Labyrinth is a much better movie.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AYYY DEY NEVAH LEMME RUN A DA PESTO INJECTAFOGLIO NO MORE *appeals racing point decision*

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Is this the same Ferrari who cheated for half a season and then made a backroom deal with a former employee to keep the fact they cheated quiet ?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jolo posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com is giving away pc copies of F1 2018. Fernando Alonso is in the game. The game is set in the year 2018. Guillermo del Toro wins Best Picture for The Shape of Water even though Pan's Labyrinth is a much better movie.

F1 2019 is now on GamePass

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

MustardFacial posted:

Like how are they supposed to unlearn what they've already learned about the 2019 Merc design? Even if the RP20 is banned from competition for 2021, and RP have to make an all new version I bet you anything the car they come up with is going to look quite a bit like the old one. They now have a design philosophy that works, they can continue to make evolution's on it that is 100% their own work and research but still be fundamentally a 2019 Merc as it's basis.

[edit] Rebus, please correct me if my assumptions are wrong. I can only guess at how engineering at this level works.

Pretty accurate. 95% is evolution or optimising of existing ideas to achieve a target (e.g. fix a drop out in a certain condition, eliminate a flow separation on a piece of bodywork/wing, etc).

Totally new ideas are generally dealt with toward the start of a new set of regs, or if there is something massively wrong with the car when you go to testing.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

FAUXTON posted:

AYYY DEY NEVAH LEMME RUN A DA PESTO INJECTAFOGLIO NO MORE *appeals racing point decision*

:laffo:

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
this is not about the rp brakes but about the wolff, stroll relationship. shady things going on between mercedes and aston martin

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Ferrari's protest of this decision is going to end up getting Haas retroactively banned from every season they've competed in because Ferrari are just that catastrophic right now.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tsaedje posted:

Ferrari's protest of this decision is going to end up getting Haas retroactively banned from every season they've competed in because Ferrari are just that catastrophic right now.

Wollf did bring that up in an interview that the first Haas car was a 1:1 Ferrari copy but that nobody complained about it because they weren't very competitive anyways.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Khablam posted:

Frank Prisinzano, a very accomplished New York chef, has gone on a rant about using cast iron because idiot hipsters keep asking him about it.
"This is really comical to me because we’re way past cast-iron now."

you'll notice he didn't give an endorsement for teflon pans either, but you left that bit out

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

you'll notice he didn't give an endorsement for teflon pans either, but you left that bit out

The case for Teflon pans does not hinge on “it’s what the professionals use”. The case for cast iron does.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the corona quid posted:

The case for Teflon pans does not hinge on “it’s what the professionals use”. The case for cast iron does.

i've never made that point

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

:haw:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pragmatica posted:

Oh I know. This is going to blow up spectacularly in Ferrari’s face if this is their angle.

Yeah I kinda want the appeal to end up with "after further investigation and deliberation, and considering Shitteria Failrarri's appeal, we are amending our decision regarding the RP20 to 200k fine, and no points loss. We would also like to take this opportunity to remind certain teams that the FIA did a secret deal with them due to how much they were cheating, and let them go scot free, so don't push it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

just make them keep vettel but make sure binotto is drunk every race