Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

I guess my vow not to play any more this league doesn't prevent me from spending half an hour screwing with pob like a rubik's cube on someone else's build.

Take a look at https://pastebin.com/bVJW1dsU. You're getting 30-40% more dps for a tiny dip in life by prioritizing attack over crit, which especially makes sense if you're ditching the power charge clusters. Making crits your primary damage contributor is one of those things that just doesn't pay off until you have a lot of points and decently tuned gear all contributing toward it. It can be very strong past that tipping point, but you're definitely not there yet. I also threw in arrow dancing with a spare point. I'm not entirely sure it's a great pickup for cobra lash because I've never played it, but generally you're way more threatened by volleys of ranged attacks than getting swarmed in melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

please knock Mom! posted:

Weapons which drop in a t16 map shouldn’t be allowed to drop with 2-5 flat phys rolls

I would love it if items would only roll the highest tier modifiers they can roll and not t10 mods.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

search engine posted:

Yeah apart from tooling around a bit on my remaining living characters I'm definitely done. If there's anyone out there still playing hc I can dump a decent amount of random gear/currency and about a thousand maps on you.

League Content: 6/10 - the finnicky complexity of the farming wasn't great, nor was regularly disrupting game flow to go manage it. League bosses and items, entirely forgettable. Crafting itself was pretty cool

Balance/Skill Stuff: 8/10 - some fun and interesting additions and reworks without any of it feeling particularly overpowered except maybe glancing blows. That one should have remained gated behind a timeless jewel. The two hander + slam changes finally made big/slow weapons feel viable. Staves especially are really appealing now.

League Overall: 7/10 - drastically increased availability of high end gear and the balance changes opened up a lot of new builds. between that and the ongoing plague apocalypse, I re-ran the "ok just one more build because x+y+z looks like it could be really cool" process about 3 times more than I expected to. I would like to see some of the harvest crafting options go core, but streamlined and reduced in volume. Make them currency drops, and find a balance in between the current core experience of good influenced gear being basically unobtainable mirror tier, and the league experience of saving up a few ex and ending up with a 140 life astral sporting 4 huge influence mods.

I usually give HC trade a go once a league or so. If you wanna drop some stuff on me I'll see if I can make it to maps again. Any build recommendations?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Is there a good guide to blight encounters? I have no clue how to do them properly. I've gotten some oils from a couple but I fail most of them.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Rallos posted:

I usually give HC trade a go once a league or so. If you wanna drop some stuff on me I'll see if I can make it to maps again. Any build recommendations?

Hmm, I'm not sure any of my leftover junk will resolve to a particular build, but I'll take a look once I'm on. Can drop by in about a half hour if you're online. Whats your in-game name?

edit:

Hamelekim posted:

Is there a good guide to blight encounters? I have no clue how to do them properly. I've gotten some oils from a couple but I fail most of them.

It's a harder to do them with some builds than others, but the random ones you encounter in maps should almost always be winnable. Mainly it's about locking down one set of lanes with towers and handling another set of lanes yourself. Plays a lot like tower defense. Look for choke/convergence points where your towers will have a lot of targets in range, and then focus your resources there. Preferences differ but an easy generic combo is level 1 fireball, shock, chilling all grouped together and then as points come in, upgrade them one at a time to meteor, arc, cage in that order. You usually won't get them all done before the encounter is over. Can build a couple of random chilling towers on the lanes you're handling yourself to help keep mobs bunched up.

Blighted maps are a different story. Some builds are really pretty screwed on those.

search engine fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 10, 2020

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Hamelekim posted:

Here's one idiot's opinions:

*Sucks to be you if you're melee. Ranged and minion characters can usually dump all over Blight encounters without even moving no problem while melee has to run around like a chicken with its head cut off.
*Icons over the top of the portals indicate what those monsters are resistant to, not weak against. Not terribly intuitive.
*Generally, it's about creating chokepoints. One tower handling 3 lanes is usually better than 3 towers handling 1 lane.
*My usual strategy is to put minions by the portal(s), fireball further back and empowering to cover both of them. If I can build anything more in the empowering's radius it'll most likely be a chilling. In case of resistances, sub minion for chilling, chilling for seismic and fireball for minion. Shock nova really only comes out if bosses show up.
*Best position for you is a toss-up. Moving by the different portals means you're quicker to upgrade towers. Closer by the pump means you can serve as the last line of defense. Which one is best usually depends on your build.
*When bosses show up, you need to be on them ASAP as they are pretty much all tanks. Your towers alone probably won't be able to stop them.
*Don't forget to anoint rings to buff your towers.
*If the game puts 3 portals and only 1 tower spot within 5 feet of the pump, that just means you haven't given Chris Wilson enough of your money. Take a hint.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Hamelekim posted:

the only thing I've ever considered in blight is that apparently towers that are off-screen are frozen/not-active due to how poe only updates/processes on/off-screen. so all those fancy towers you made two screens away are doing jack poo poo for you.

so what i've started doing is stack "increased range of scout drones (max level minion towers)" on my ring annoints, and build a ton near the spore

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hamelekim posted:

If you have a good ranged build, you can't go wrong with setting up a buff tower next to the pump and debuff towers everywhere else. Not the most effective way to do it, but you'll never see blight portals that are immune to debuff towers.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There is an anoint that makes it so that frost bolt towers affect freeze-immune enemies, I use that one plus the “frost bolt towers fire more projectiles” and spam those.

But really it just comes down to DPS in my experience

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

There is an anoint that makes it so that frost bolt towers affect freeze-immune enemies, I use that one plus the “frost bolt towers fire more projectiles” and spam those.

But really it just comes down to DPS in my experience

I could be wrong, but since that anoint says "Your Freezebolt Tower deal full damage to Cold Enemies" I don't think it freezes them.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Thanks for the tips.

I didn't care about the encounter until I found out I could anoint an amulet to get a skill tree node anywhere on the tree which would be super useful. Now I need to do all of them to find the oils I need.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

oils are cheap as hell this league. golden is under 30c

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
^^ yeah Harvest has made oils really easy to obtain. I have 4 goldens in my stash SSF.

Corpse explosion or any other means of chaining kills are super good for blight. As for tower types, I find it hard to go wrong with level 3 shockwave towers with level 3 empowers, with additional damage towers (meteor/arc) as a luxury afterward.

Be wary of fire type lanes, they can spawn lines of enemies that will all shoot fireballs at you. It tends to hurt.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of which, the POB community fork now has the option to highlight the strongest notable for a specific stat, which is super useful for anointing.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Speaking of ring anoints, after doing a ton of blighted maps I finally tried the meteor burning ground anoint and I wish I'd known earlier how good it is. The burning ground dot basically insta-kills any normal mob that runs into it, which shores up the weakness meteors have in crowd control. Since then I've been running t16s as a melee character using 90% meteor towers and just a few arcs and cages to stop stragglers.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Don't feel too bad since I think that's one of the new ones they added with indigo oil

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Oh I misread I thought you were talking past leagues but yeah I like that one + meteor towers always stun

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

search engine posted:

I guess my vow not to play any more this league doesn't prevent me from spending half an hour screwing with pob like a rubik's cube on someone else's build.

Take a look at https://pastebin.com/bVJW1dsU. You're getting 30-40% more dps for a tiny dip in life by prioritizing attack over crit, which especially makes sense if you're ditching the power charge clusters. Making crits your primary damage contributor is one of those things that just doesn't pay off until you have a lot of points and decently tuned gear all contributing toward it. It can be very strong past that tipping point, but you're definitely not there yet. I also threw in arrow dancing with a spare point. I'm not entirely sure it's a great pickup for cobra lash because I've never played it, but generally you're way more threatened by volleys of ranged attacks than getting swarmed in melee.

Thanks a bunch! Yeah, that'd definately be the way to go, but I'm out of regret balls due to switching to Mistwalker. Ah well, I might switch that way piece by piece when I get some more (assuming I don't die before that)! Might also just see if I can't make the crit stuff work if I manage the eternal lab + get some power charge stuff.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

search engine posted:

Hmm, I'm not sure any of my leftover junk will resolve to a particular build, but I'll take a look once I'm on. Can drop by in about a half hour if you're online. Whats your in-game name?

All of my characters are Rallos_<something>

Are you in the goon guild?

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Nah I haven't bothered since the chat doesn't cross over. I'm on as ol_dick_sizzler at the moment.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I thought guild chat does go over HC/SC, and it's the global channel that doesn't?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Yes, guild chat connects everyone. It's globals that are segregated between HC and SC.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Next patch will (supposedly) fix the "oh god why is everything covered up by a black box?" issue.

Preview notes

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Wait is that new. Wasn't there some 5555 channel specifically to get around it

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

search engine posted:

The 5555 channel doesn't cross leagues, but it lets goons in Softcore who aren't in the guild talk with other goons. It's ended up doing a lot to drive HC goons out of the conversation but has definitely made it easier for people who are in small guilds with friends to chat with other goons in the same league.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

5555 was created because we cant fit all the goons in one guild

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

search engine posted:

It's been like that forever. What those two said is why 5555 exists.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well guys, I think I have to accept the fact that I don't actually suck at this game

Did I play it super duper safe since after level 85? Yes
Was Zana a jerk for never giving me an Untainted Paradise to help me out? Absolutely
Was Oshanti an even bigger jerk for not giving me any Physical Exalts so I could actually craft a better axe than my ilvl 54 one? Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

This calls for a scotch and a ~month hiatus from the game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

whypick1 posted:

Well guys, I think I have to accept the fact that I don't actually suck at this game

Was Zana a jerk for never giving me an Untainted Paradise to help me out? Absolutely
Was Oshanti an even bigger jerk for not giving me any Physical Exalts so I could actually craft a better axe than my ilvl 54 one? Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Congrats!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

whypick1 posted:

Congrats bro

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Pretty decent league. At first I didn't want to play because of the league mechanic but I didn't have much else to do. Started 2 weeks late in the end. Overall I'm very satisfied about what I achieved. I always try to do something different each league. Since the endgame revamp I haven't made it past yellow maps because I got bored.

This time around I wanted to focus on learning conquerors + sirus. I also thought it might be a good idea to get a bit more into crafting and playing an ES character for the first time (1100 hours played).

Chaos dot trickster was really fun for mapping, however boss damage was lacking. I stubbornly stuck with spellslinger ED/cont all the way, with self cast blight + wither totem. I hit a bit of a rough patch between 90-92 when I wanted to just blast maps but needed to get some better gear. I pretty much only played during weekends and stuck to this one character. Ended up at a 95.4 this time around which I think is my 5th 95+ character overall.

My 2 cents on xp penalty on death. I like playing softcore and I feel it has its place. Even though a lot of my deaths feel out of my control I think playing around that is possible. What I personally do after I hit 90-92 is I blast all maps and dont reroll nasty mods at all, mostly for atlas completion. I dont care too much about deaths at that point. When I get to around 40-50% into a level I start playing more safe and usually finish the level off in delve. I never die in delves for some reason. After I hit 95 I just completely stop caring, play sloppy and it's just whatever.

In the end I got to know conqueror mechanics pretty well because of how slow my build was at killing bosses. Killed sirus at a6, failed a8 because I was playing badly. Got to 24 challenges and called it a league. The league mechanic itself was 7/10 for me.

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

I've played pretty continuously, but branching out on build experiments this league led me to learn a lot more about the conqueror fights too. Warlord always feels like a pushover regardless of how long he takes, and hunter is pretty safe so long as you bring some decent chaos res or just move around during the snake phases. The redeemer, I'd never realized how much of a pain in the rear end she can be on a short range character. Near death she spends the majority of her time hanging out unreachable in the tornado yelling about how I suck and throwing ice at me.

Crusader is in a league of his own by a couple grade levels though. I've played a stupid amount of this game and I still have a hard time dealing with the speed that he can hurl the volleys of aoe explosions out. Normally I'd just back off and play more cautiously but that means frolicking in the 90% of the arena coated in mana drain runes that apparently also explode after you stand on them long enough? Even with builds that I felt were pretty solid overall, I'd clear him once to say I'd done it and then swap over to my lacerate gladiator for any subsequent encounters. I really have no idea how to deal with that guy in a way that doesn't feel like a dps race on par with shaper.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
The gear this league is absurd and it's going to be such whiplash next league lol

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

search engine posted:

I've played pretty continuously, but branching out on build experiments this league led me to learn a lot more about the conqueror fights too. Warlord always feels like a pushover regardless of how long he takes, and hunter is pretty safe so long as you bring some decent chaos res or just move around during the snake phases. The redeemer, I'd never realized how much of a pain in the rear end she can be on a short range character. Near death she spends the majority of her time hanging out unreachable in the tornado yelling about how I suck and throwing ice at me.

Crusader is in a league of his own by a couple grade levels though. I've played a stupid amount of this game and I still have a hard time dealing with the speed that he can hurl the volleys of aoe explosions out. Normally I'd just back off and play more cautiously but that means frolicking in the 90% of the arena coated in mana drain runes that apparently also explode after you stand on them long enough? Even with builds that I felt were pretty solid overall, I'd clear him once to say I'd done it and then swap over to my lacerate gladiator for any subsequent encounters. I really have no idea how to deal with that guy in a way that doesn't feel like a dps race on par with shaper.

He does it on a regular beat, you gotta get in the rythym

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
absolutely unethicable filth
https://streamable.com/9cqaw1

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
All you guys talking like the season is over making me feel awkward since just started again.. I died to some blood rain thing last night, that was BS. I don't even remember such a boss in act 3 before. And there are 10 acts now?

I just wanted to ask if Harvest HC is as empty as it seems? I've seen 1 public party in the last 3 days.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

absolutely unethicable filth
https://streamable.com/9cqaw1

Thanks for ruining my day jerkass :argh:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Femur posted:

All you guys talking like the season is over making me feel awkward since just started again.. I died to some blood rain thing last night, that was BS. I don't even remember such a boss in act 3 before. And there are 10 acts now?

I just wanted to ask if Harvest HC is as empty as it seems? I've seen 1 public party in the last 3 days.

Plenty more people play SC vs. HC and after 2 months into the league the playerbase dwindles significantly. I'm not surprised you can't find any public parties in HC.

And if the last time you played Piety was the very last boss in the story (I'm assuming that blood rain thing is Dominus)....woo boy. You're basically playing an entirely different game now.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
You'll see people saying they're wrapping up the league like, a week in. Some people can go in really hard, you'll always find goons who are still playing though

If you are in a trade league you get to benefit from aforementioned players being willing to giveaway stuff, especially maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

Femur posted:

Wow, yeah you've been out for a while. Dominus is kind of a pain in the rear end from the piety-as-endboss perspective, but oh boy you've got a long road to travel from there. I never recommend starting in hardcore to people who have never played or haven't played in a long time. There are so many ways to die that you probably won't see coming. If you've got the time and strength of will for it, go for it, but that's a rough grind.

Hardcore leagues follow about the same trajectory as softcore for playerbase over time, just much smaller population to begin with. Around the 2 month mark it feels fairly empty off peak hours and anything but high end or high bulk trades are harder to come by. I handed off a bunch of random stuff to Rallos yesterday, so if you are starting out right now he can probably share some of it.