Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Egg Moron posted:

I get what you mean and I think it got sucked into the pop culture black hole that was formed by the explosion of superhero movies that were made in the last 20 years. Brian Singer and Sam Raimi really kicked off this era with their trilogies and after 2000 at least a few comic book movies were made every year, picking up steam steadily and the movies began to loom larger in the culture. You had the a ton of misfires, Monkeybone in 2001, some weird gems Josie and the Pussycats also in 2001, but in general there were more and more comic book adaptations every year. Hulk 2003 and 2008, the Ghost Rider films, Hellboy, The Punisher, all before the first Iron Man film really lit the fuse on the MCU entertainment supernova.

The Nolan Batman movies basically alley-oop'd it to the MCU and the whole thing is one smeared poo poo obliterated dead zone in our minds.

the third one is some of the indulgent garbage i have ever seen, a really stupid movie pretending its super smart. i took a while for people to process this fact tho, everyone thought it was good at release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i still remember the sheer feeling of dread when batman fell down the hole and i realized i was going to have spend forty minutes watching him try to climb out of it and that whatever bullshit he was going to pull to do it successfully the third time wasnt going to make any sense

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

KomradeX posted:

I watched La Llorona on Shudder last night. Pretty good. And I had finished reading Killing Hope earlier in the day

La Llorona is really good, it's the only movie I've ever seen in that Mayan dialect/language and somehow managed to do the "supernatural revenge imposed on genocidaires who escaped temporal justice" in a way that is both compelling and classy. and it's also interesting horror, no jump scares or hosed up gore, just some tense moments and some really clever misdirects.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hellboy has enough plot for one hour (and that's generous) but last about two hours becuase they pad it out with unnecessary bullshit like a visit to Merlin's cave and a cgi-fight with some giants.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Alhazred posted:

Hellboy has enough plot for one hour (and that's generous) but last about two hours becuase they pad it out with unnecessary bullshit like a visit to Merlin's cave and a cgi-fight with some giants.

i really cannot say enough how disgusting a choice it was to have ian mcshane as a vomit ghost in the last act of that movie

i was disappointed and i just went in for david harbour eye candy, what a waste of a movie, loving merlin

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

babypolis posted:

the third one is some of the indulgent garbage i have ever seen, a really stupid movie pretending its super smart. i took a while for people to process this fact tho, everyone thought it was good at release

I like Dark Knight Rises, it's going to be a long time before we get an American blockbuster that's that baldly reactionary again.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

General Dog posted:

I like Dark Knight Rises, it's going to be a long time before we get an American blockbuster that's that baldly reactionary again.

We have had like a thousand Bayformer movies since DKR.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
dark knight rises changed the world by giving us baneposting

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Alhazred posted:

We have had like a thousand Bayformer movies since DKR.

Transformers is full fascist, rather than.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What are the best websites (and print magazines) to read for cultural analysis and generally interesting articles? I have a moderate tolerance for liberal bullshit so I get some value out of reading articles on places like The Atlantic that aren't too politics-focued

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Aglet56 posted:

For you

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Aglet56 posted:

dark knight rises made this possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBxpbQkJ3ic

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

blue squares posted:

What are the best websites (and print magazines) to read for cultural analysis and generally interesting articles? I have a moderate tolerance for liberal bullshit so I get some value out of reading articles on places like The Atlantic that aren't too politics-focued

n+1.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I watched that An American Pickle movie last night. It's... ok? Kinda muted and murmured, directionless, but never horrible. It reminded me of something Adam Sandler would do; not the cash grab gently caress-around-with-friends movies, and not the rare Safdi bros\Anderson film that makes you wish he'd give a poo poo more often, but instead one of those high-concept-slight-effect films he occasionally stars in for reasons only really known to him. Like The Cobbler. This was Seth Rogen's The Cobbler.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I’m becoming a big believer in the C.H.U.D. -> Home Alone -> Eyes Wide Shut extended universe.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

finally watched one punch man specifically the second half of the first season because im a lazy bum who only watches whats on cable and i can confirm that it very much meets expectations my impression of it from the way its been described was that it strikes a chord with millennials because the main character is hypercompetent but incapable of proving it because he lives in a pseudo meritocracy where image is more important than competence and his lifestyle is completely detached from caring about image

consequently the only real surprise was that the high level heroes are for the most part shown to be competent but also some of them just gently caress around and do nothing or are engaging in shady poo poo thats probably going to destroy the world sooner or later or have borderline psychotic personalities or some combination of all three and it really is telling that societys jokerfication has gotten to the point that only the competence part of all that seems at all unrealistic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

josh04 posted:

Transformers is full fascist, rather than.

Bayformers has its own wacky poo poo going on, SMG probably is right saying they're parody, albeit through Bay's extremely weird lens

Pain and Gain is supposedly the Rosetta Stone for Michael Bay's brain

Some Guy TT posted:

finally watched one punch man specifically the second half of the first season because im a lazy bum who only watches whats on cable and i can confirm that it very much meets expectations my impression of it from the way its been described was that it strikes a chord with millennials because the main character is hypercompetent but incapable of proving it because he lives in a pseudo meritocracy where image is more important than competence and his lifestyle is completely detached from caring about image

consequently the only real surprise was that the high level heroes are for the most part shown to be competent but also some of them just gently caress around and do nothing or are engaging in shady poo poo thats probably going to destroy the world sooner or later or have borderline psychotic personalities or some combination of all three and it really is telling that societys jokerfication has gotten to the point that only the competence part of all that seems at all unrealistic

I love the one guy who is considered a top level hero in the equivalent of the Justice League and it turns out he has no powers or skills and only got there through sheer coincidence, failing upward and getting the credit for the protagonist's feats, and no one's more terrified by this than he is

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was a period where there was a lot of movies about people trying to steal money from others (The Wolf on Wall Street, The Bling Ring, Springbreakers) and Pain and Gain was by far the dumbest of them all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

There was a period where there was a lot of movies about people trying to steal money from others (The Wolf on Wall Street, The Bling Ring, Springbreakers) and Pain and Gain was by far the dumbest of them all.

The most insane thing is that iirc it's very faithful to the real story. Or at least that the real story reads like some truly insane poo poo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alhazred posted:

it was the best one of them all. it’s a magnificent deconstruction of the American Dream mythos, making the bold move to center the movie around the antagonists, who are just absolute scumbags all the while marky Mark is yammering about the American dream and how anyone can make it. a masterpiece of satire.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my favorite part of pain and gain was how the rich guy whose identity the protagonists clumsily steal is so obnoxious and widely hated by literally everyone he knows that they simply tell him to gently caress off whenever he pops up to say im not dead yet

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

maam didnt you think it was suspicious when your old boss disappeared without explanation and you were taking orders from this new guy youd never seen before

but the old boss was an rear end in a top hat and the new one lets me take smoke breaks

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

it was the best one of them all. it’s a magnificent deconstruction of the American Dream mythos, making the bold move to center the movie around the antagonists, who are just absolute scumbags all the while marky Mark is yammering about the American dream and how anyone can make it. a masterpiece of satire.

It certainly tries it's hardest to be a satire but then gets lost in all the dick jokes.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The most insane thing is that iirc it's very faithful to the real story.
It's really not: https://slate.com/culture/2013/04/pain-gain-true-story-fact-and-fiction-in-the-new-movie-starring-mark-wahlberg-photos.html

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is a satire, and the dick jokes fit the characters - a bunch of roided out bodybuilder criminal scumbags, that are not very bright. pain & gain is phenomenal.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bayformers has its own wacky poo poo going on, SMG probably is right saying they're parody, albeit through Bay's extremely weird lens

Oh yeah, I loved Pain and Gain. I just mean that regardless of whether you read it as a satire, Transformers is saying "society would be better if there were a God to enforce American values" where TDKR only really gets as far as "better things aren't possible".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

It is a satire, and the dick jokes fit the characters - a bunch of roided out bodybuilder criminal scumbags, that are not very bright. pain & gain is phenomenal.

The other movies also had not that bright scumbags, but those movies were actually good.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

josh04 posted:

Oh yeah, I loved Pain and Gain. I just mean that regardless of whether you read it as a satire, Transformers is saying "society would be better if there were a God to enforce American values" where TDKR only really gets as far as "better things aren't possible".

its an open question whether thats the actual message of the transformers movies given that they go to really weird lengths to acknowledge that optimus prime has dragged earth into an alien civil war that the autobots already lost

like if theyd just let megatron take the first movies macguffin and go home there wouldnt have been enough conflict for one movie let alone five

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alhazred posted:

The other movies also had not that bright scumbags, but those movies were actually good.

Wolf of Wall Street was terrible, get real. The main takeaway from that movie is being a rich cokehead is loving awesome, it completely fails what it was trying to do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

its an open question whether thats the actual message of the transformers movies given that they go to really weird lengths to acknowledge that optimus prime has dragged earth into an alien civil war that the autobots already lost

like if theyd just let megatron take the first movies macguffin and go home there wouldnt have been enough conflict for one movie let alone five

And when left to their own devices, america literally tracks down and murders all transformers they can find including their allies and turns them into slaves and toys

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
i need to sit down with pain and gain again

it gave me severe southland tales vibes about whether or not I liked it a lot or hated it and there was never any in between with either

i don't think it was just ogling the rock in both of them either

wolf of wall street had good performances in a bad script which means I never want to watch it again but am glad I did, and I also really want to try quaaludes

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The most insane thing is that iirc it's very faithful to the real story. Or at least that the real story reads like some truly insane poo poo

its not. most notably the point in the film where he blazes text on the screen "THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED" is one of the most invented parts. its a wonderful distillation of desperation at the crumbling myth of self-made american success yielding to aspiration, greed, and bootstrapping during the reality tv era. pain and gain is legitimately great, and the only film where those subversive readings of bay work and the movie is watchable without the urge to claw at your eyes and ears after 5 minutes. id consider it the best of films listed, but i also despise wolf of wall street and consider it among scorcese's worst, which i know is an outlier opinion

Serf
May 5, 2011

michael bay is the greatest living american filmmaker. no one else captures how ugly american culture is while simultaneously dressing it up and giving it mass appeal. dude gets millions upon millions of dollars and the full cooperation of the american empire and he creates these utterly fascinating alien robot car movies that are filled to the brim with product placement and pure jingoism. everything is as hollow and soulless as america is, and there are no attempts made to hide it. bay just acknowledges that there is nothing but spectacle left. there's no substance, just big explosions, supermodels, spotless brand-name cars and american military hardware.

the transition from the first 3 transformers movies to the 4th one is pretty funny because the transformers are being portrayed with 100% accuracy as basically the kurds. useful allies against a former threat (as well as helping american forces take down iran) but immediately forsaken at the earliest moment of political convenience. loving frasier plays a deep state cia ghoul who has allied with a tech billionaire and an alien psychopath for stock options because he thinks that he wasn't paid enough lmao

i think its funny that bay is friends with spielberg because they're at the opposite end of this spectrum. michael bay's films expose america in the real, while spielberg's movies mythologize an america in the ideal that never really existed. the ideal film viewing to understand america, i think, would be "saving private ryan" followed by "bad boys 2"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Wolf of Wall Street was terrible, get real. The main takeaway from that movie is being a rich cokehead is loving awesome, it completely fails what it was trying to do.

Do you also think that the main takeaway from Goodfellas is that it's loving awesome to be a mobster?

Serf posted:

michael bay is the greatest living american filmmaker. no one else captures how ugly american culture is while simultaneously dressing it up and giving it mass appeal. dude gets millions upon millions of dollars and the full cooperation of the american empire and he creates these utterly fascinating alien robot car movies that are filled to the brim with product placement and pure jingoism. everything is as hollow and soulless as america is, and there are no attempts made to hide it. bay just acknowledges that there is nothing but spectacle left. there's no substance, just big explosions, supermodels, spotless brand-name cars and american military hardware.

"No, no, he makes bad movies on purpose!"

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Alhazred posted:

"No, no, he makes bad movies on purpose!"

doesn't have to be on purpose to be compelling

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

animist posted:

doesn't have to be on purpose to be compelling

I mean, feel free to read whatever you like into his films, just not pretend that Michael Bay even knows that kurds exists.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alhazred posted:

Do you also think that the main takeaway from Goodfellas is that it's loving awesome to be a mobster?

one was a good movie, the other was not. moot point.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Zvahl posted:

it gave me severe southland tales vibes about whether or not I liked it a lot or hated it and there was never any in between with either

I think I love Southland Tales so much because I’ve read a lot of Philip K Dick and, despite not being an adaptation of anything he ever wrote, it’s the only film that feels like a PK novel. Like, so many people want the weird and cool concepts, but nobody wants the overworked blue collar 70s hippie schizophrenic speed freak writer outlook and aesthetic. The hilarious and trashy satire worlds, damaged spirituality, and wounded vulnerability of the writer himself are more charming to me than the kinda repetitive theme he used to explore his own condition and sense of existential dread arising from it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kelly referenced Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said in a very unsubtle way. He was absolutely trying to invoke the PK novels. And in my opinion he succeeded in that.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Kelly referenced Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said in a very unsubtle way. He was absolutely trying to invoke the PK novels. And in my opinion he succeeded in that.

Oh yeah, Lovitz partially quotes the book title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Egg Moron posted:

when I see that a movie is 87 minutes long