Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Its proper name is the Starwing.

see now I prefer assboat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

see now I prefer assboat

Nothing wrong about preferring assboat :heysexy:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone else surprised that the Moff from The Mandalorian was rocking a standard Tie and not something more exotic? Thought it was a nice touch showcasing how a post-Endor Empire had to "make do" and that they couldn't just fly the best of the best.

Also liked how non-republic factions were flying generic gunships and not everything was X-wings.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I liked how it portrayed x-wings and TIEs as actually terrifying to small ground forces/stations. 3 xwings obliterated that space station and one TIE in the air was enough to be a "big bad" like the at-st.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I think there also should be a limit to how many god drat varieties there are of stormtroopers, tie fighters, etc.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

I liked how it portrayed x-wings and TIEs as actually terrifying to small ground forces/stations. 3 xwings obliterated that space station and one TIE in the air was enough to be a "big bad" like the at-st.

It drew a big line between civilian and military ships and makes the X-wings being around at Yavin an actually big deal. It’s like if you’re flying a little Cessna with a gun duct taped to it and then suddenly show up in Rogue One with two squadrons of F-15s

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BlueGrot posted:

I think there also should be a limit to how many god drat varieties there are of stormtroopers, tie fighters, etc.

Messerchmitt would like to have a word with you.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TK-42-1 posted:

The way they matter-of-factly say, "they're launching a gunship" was pretty telling how much they actually feared it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

TK-42-1 posted:

Maybe it's mostly nostalgia from the old TIE Fighter game that couldn't run fast enough to display more than a few capital ships at a time, but I'm more interested in small fleet actions that just involve a couple of light cruisers (the campaign where you have to defend an interdictor from an MC40 and a Nebulon-B is pretty memorable). It's easier to see what's happening, and the stakes feel more comprehensible.

This fan film is a good example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6PVDbT6zHs

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

Maybe it's mostly nostalgia from the old TIE Fighter game that couldn't run fast enough to display more than a few capital ships at a time, but I'm more interested in small fleet actions that just involve a couple of light cruisers (the campaign where you have to defend an interdictor from an MC40 and a Nebulon-B is pretty memorable). It's easier to see what's happening, and the stakes feel more comprehensible.

This fan film is a good example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6PVDbT6zHs

They're using EC Henry's rebuild of the Colin Cantwell destroyer, cool.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

Reading this reminded me of that XWA mission where you have to juggle destroying an interdictor with defending a Nebulon-B and later, a MC80, from said interdictor and a Star Destroyer. Good times.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Reading this reminded me of that XWA mission where you have to juggle destroying an interdictor with defending a Nebulon-B and later, a MC80, from said interdictor and a Star Destroyer. Good times.

It was upsetting that for some reason in XWA they decided that none of the Rebel ships should get turbolasers, so there ended up being precisely zero memorable capital ship duels.

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Cross-Section posted:

That's the mission where you had to help get the defector out. I too remember that fondly, since it was one of the few missions in XWA that made good use of the option to have 4 separate mission areas where the action would continue, even if the player was in another area.
And you could land on the Liberty to repair/rearm in the middle of the battle (with red flashing alarms in the hangar if the cruiser was damaged enough), or even switch to another fighter.
Sadly those features were rarely used much in the rest of the campaign.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Did anyone else ever play https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Rebel_Assault (Rebel Assault)?

I remember playing that on my Mac Performa 550 as a kid. I was surprised to find out just now that X-wing (an actual sim instead of a rail shooter like Rebel Assault) apparently came out the same year.

I don't think I ever got past the "X-wing in an asteroid field" level and remember playing the Star Destroyer one a lot and only rarely getting past it. Looking at youtube reveals that there was apparently a third person shooter segment later in the game that I never reached.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I played the hell out of both Rebel Assault and Rebel Assault II back in the day. I remember that the second was far, far easier; I never got past the Hoth ice caves in the first game as a kid, and even getting that far was a struggle, but while II was a challenge it was still surmountable.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ahh yes, the memories, that was one of the if not the first PC game on CD in Germany I believe. I bought it with my CD-rom drive. I remember it being quite difficult but I was 13 or 14 at the time. I think I reached the shooting sequence 2 or 3 times, I remember the Star Destroyer and Beggars Canyon, but not much more.

I'd love to play it again today but the grfx would probably give me a stroke.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If we're talking about old Star Wars games im sad that Dark Forces hasn't gotten a good Doom style source port

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Ytlaya posted:

Did anyone else ever play https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Rebel_Assault (Rebel Assault)?

I remember playing that on my Mac Performa 550 as a kid. I was surprised to find out just now that X-wing (an actual sim instead of a rail shooter like Rebel Assault) apparently came out the same year.

I don't think I ever got past the "X-wing in an asteroid field" level and remember playing the Star Destroyer one a lot and only rarely getting past it. Looking at youtube reveals that there was apparently a third person shooter segment later in the game that I never reached.

I have the Sega version at home.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That noise that disintegrates stormtroopers in RA2 is forever burned in my memory. So satisfying.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Trevor Hale posted:

My least favorite quirks of his is how he occasionally writes like a parts catalogue and not a fiction writer. He’s very big on spelling out proper manufacturer + model names

well i for one enjoy having an encyclopedic knowledge of fake companies and products tyvm

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Statutory Ape posted:

well i for one enjoy having an encyclopedic knowledge of fake companies and products tyvm

Trevor pulls out his slightly dinged Apple iPhone 11, running iOS 13. The device connects to his Google WiFi wireless router. Behind him, a 13” Honeywell box fan draws cool air into the room.

“¯\_(ツ)_/¯,” he types.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Trevor Hale posted:

Trevor pulls out his slightly dinged Apple iPhone 11, running iOS 13. The device connects to his Google WiFi wireless router. Behind him, a 13” Honeywell box fan draws cool air into the room.

“¯\_(ツ)_/¯,” he types.

The black fleet crisis trilogy sucked tbh

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Some of my more memorable XWA times were my friends and I loving around with the files to let people play as capital ships(in a super janky way) and then running fleet actions against each other.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Statutory Ape posted:

just lol if you didn’t have 4 different essential guides to star wars growing up

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Kanos posted:

Some of my more memorable XWA times were my friends and I loving around with the files to let people play as capital ships(in a super janky way) and then running fleet actions against each other.

I loved how the primary gun on those hacked ships fired just a single, continuous laser bolt, like a less-powerful superlaser.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ytlaya posted:

I remember being a real little kid at the time and prefering rebel assault over x-wing back then because "it looked better way better".

Arcsquad12 posted:

If we're talking about old Star Wars games im sad that Dark Forces hasn't gotten a good Doom style source port

Theres a source port (or i guess reverse engineered one since no one has the source) currently in development that should have its first release in november, at which point dark forces should be fully playable start to finish. Should even have stuff like support for perspective correct geometry, open gl, etc.

https://theforceengine.github.io/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tom Guycot posted:

Theres a source port (or i guess reverse engineered one since no one has the source) currently in development that should have its first release in november, at which point dark forces should be fully playable start to finish. Should even have stuff like support for perspective correct geometry, open gl, etc.

Oh poo poo, nice. I remember there was Dark XL from a few years back but last I checked it had fallen through. I hope this one goes better.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Is this DF remake still happening?

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/o52lB

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Blistex posted:

Is this DF remake still happening?

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/o52lB

What's the Mos Eisley 2016 project he references a few times in there? Is that the infamously canceled EA game?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Arcsquad12 posted:

Oh poo poo, nice. I remember there was Dark XL from a few years back but last I checked it had fallen through. I hope this one goes better.

Yeah was a shame about Dark XL, but I've been following this new one for a while and its author is incredibly active, I don't think theres any chance it doesn't hit its november release target. Its also looking like a way more accurate creation than dark XL ever was.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Tom Guycot posted:

Just download dosbox. But I see people just can't get enough of remakes

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

commando in tophat posted:

Eh, I wouldn't call this a remake. (Well, at least in the sense that most of these remakes are remaking it using new engines / graphics, instead of porting the assets across into a reverse engineered engine, which I believe is what is happening here). Ports like this allow for things like supporting modern resolutions, gameplay improvements, bug fixes, custom content, modern input options and on the crazy end of the spectrum, you can ultimately get stuff like Brutal Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPyq0jFgVjI

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 12, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TK-42-1 posted:

just lol if you didn’t have 4 different essential guides to star wars growing up

I had literally every version of every essential guide, quick reference, or encyclopedia

My friends called me obroa skai

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Jk I obviously didn't have friends

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

commando in tophat posted:

It was already stated but, yeah, the point of a source port isn't to remake the game, but to make it playable on a modern system without having to fumble around with stuff like dosbox. As well, also providing quality of life improvements like widescreen support, higher resolution rendering, modern bindable control schemes, etc. Its not at all like one of those unity rebuild projects, I mean you still need to own the original game and in fact save game files are still compatible since the engine is reverse engineered. Source ports just make playing old games easier, that might otherwise be a hassle, from doom to scummVM it keeps old games alive.

Source ports have kept the original doom alive for 25 years. No one would be building and still working with doom all these years later if you had to configure and run it all through dos box.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I love how doom is basically OSS now, because it has been rewritten so many times by the community

isn't the only part still under license the maps?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Maps and all art assets, yeah. There was even a project i remember called freedoom or something that replaced all the graphics and maps with legally distinct versions so the whole thing could just be provided online for free.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

is this the flight stick people were recommending? it looks in stock here https://store.x-plane.org/Gladiator-MK-II_p_595.html

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Tom Guycot posted:

I remember being a real little kid at the time and prefering rebel assault over x-wing back then because "it looked better way better".

L E V E L E D I T O R !!

This is literally all I will do with my life once the full level editor is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I just realized I need republic commando in VR.