Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Mike_V posted:

JR seems like a real piece of poo poo

Yeah it's extremely lovely because while Schultz hasn't been great he's been getting and probably playing through injury constantly.

Coaching change is eh, it would have to happen eventually I guess.

Edit: :gonchar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Pronman lists him a tier below Byfield (so, from the Special/Elite bubble to the Elite/High-End one). In his latest mock draft, he says those in the industry think it's a coin flip between the two.

For the top guys, an interesting article Pronman does each year is the top draft prospects of the last 5 years where he does the top 31 based on their draft day projections (So no hindsight, no post draft development, just how they were viewed heading into the draft).

Laf slotted in at 4th behind Laine, Matthews and Dahlin. Byfield was 6th after Jack Hughes and before Kappo and Stutzle was 18th just behind Hischier and Cole Caufield and ahead of Dubois and Patrick.

It’s from June around the original draft date though so I don’t know if he’s seen more tape or something that would have moved the needle since then.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Recchi's neck looks bigger than his head.

Pens I am disappoint.

Mark Necchi

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

pseudodragon posted:

For the top guys, an interesting article Pronman does each year is the top draft prospects of the last 5 years where he does the top 31 based on their draft day projections (So no hindsight, no post draft development, just how they were viewed heading into the draft).

Laf slotted in at 4th behind Laine, Matthews and Dahlin. Byfield was 6th after Jack Hughes and before Kappo and Stutzle was 18th just behind Hischier and Cole Caufield and ahead of Dubois and Patrick.

It’s from June around the original draft date though so I don’t know if he’s seen more tape or something that would have moved the needle since then.

Yeah, I was also going to post this information too, but for whatever reason, chose not to.

In his mock draft, Pronman doesn't mention anything about his own personal feelings, but is just pointing to how those in the industry view them. Because his mock draft is more about what he thinks will happen based on conversations.

For whatever its worth, Pronman also has Stutzle on the same tier as Raymond and Perfetti. He has those guys 22nd and 29th on his top-31 based on the last five years.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1293599123132866565

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol you're alright, Dubas

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/1293606835950432259

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ah yes the ol’ “our internal metrics are better than public data.”

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Jovial Cow posted:

Carp the Rangers beat writer on the athletic seems pretty convinced the Rangers are going to buy out Hank after JD and Gorton said they’re not going into next season with 3 goalies.

I gotta think you have to try and shop Georgiev no? The cap hit on these buyouts with Shattenkirk and now potentially Hank become a bit onerous.

Wasn’t Tyler Wall tearing it up in college? And then we just drafted Lindbom as well? Why not have Hank go one more year and then Wall can back up Igor. I mean if no one is offering anything on Georgiev I guess I get it but it just seems bad to keep doing this.

I think a huge part of it is salary cap. Also:

ThinkTank posted:

You'd think that Lundqvist at 50% retained would be a great option for a team looking for a short term starter solution. Someone like Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver would probably be interested. I'm not sure why they'd want to buy him out unless he's said he won't play for any other team than the Rangers.

I'm not really sure anyone is interested in taking Lundqvist at 50% retained without a sweetner and I think the Rangers would rather take a buyout hit next season rather than waste an asset in a trade.

But basically trading Georgiev is definitely an option and I expect they're looking at that too (he alone probably can't net them a 2C or top 4 LD obviously but perhaps as part of a package) but at the same time if the cap crunches make it more necessary to free up some cap space this year then they might go for the buyout instead. Keeping Georgiev around for another year to help Shesterkin handle the load and also try to pump his value up some more, give Wall time to adjust to pro hockey, etc.

I'll be honest I also think the Rangers really want to bring back Fast. He's one of the best forechecker/board workers on the team and they missed that against Carolina, and he's always been a well liked and valued member of the team. But if you're looking at Fast, you're looking at re-signing Lemieux, looking at DeAngelo...something's gotta give cap wise. And yeah Lemieux is blah as a player a lot of times but he is another sand paper guy that the Rangers lack and we know they want to be "harder to play against" and are likely keeping guys like that.

e: I also like Buch a lot in general but yeah as mentioned he's a prime possible candidate to be moved for help elsewhere and free up some cap space. Especially if they re-sign Fast who was very effective playing with Panarin this season (even though that always feels cringy since his actual offensive abilities aren't great) and can realistically expect Kakko to take a step forward and perhaps at least match Buch's production, maybe have Kravtsov pushing for a RW spot, etc...
Also wonder if they're more likely to let Strome go/trade him as he looked pretty weak in the 3 Carolina games and the Rangers seemed annoyed and upset that their forwards weren't getting to the net which is never a strong part of Strome's game

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 12, 2020

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Mind_Taker posted:

My internal metric of "I paid him a lot and it would be embarrassing to admit that was stupid" is through the roof

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

I'm not really sure anyone is interested in taking Lundqvist at 50% retained without a sweetner and I think the Rangers would rather take a buyout hit next season rather than waste an asset in a trade.

As a Canucks fan if Markstrom demanded $6m plus on a 4+ year deal I'd move a 5th for Lundqvist at $4.25m instead. :shrug:

He'd be a great mentor to Demko, Pettersson, et al. and can still be a serviceable split time starter.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Gobias Ind. posted:

Mark Necchi

:thurman:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I hope this isn't foreshadowing Ceci re-signing.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I’m 100% sure it’s microstat nonsense like “cycles disrupted” and “stick checks per 60” or whatever else that doesn’t actually equal more goals for/fewer against in a season.

Ceci grades out ok in some possession/rate metrics but it’s likely a “playing with Auston Matthews and Morgan Rielly firewagon possession hockey” that once again doesn’t make him a good defender.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Cody Ceci is gonna be one of those players that plays like 20 years in the league and sucks rear end for all of them, but every coach/GM that has him loves him

The next Ron Hainsey basically

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think the Rangers in a normal situation where the cap wasn't going to go down significantly and teams might even get an amnesty buyout would keep Lundqvist around for his last year and try to deal Georgiev, but they likely will buy him out if they have to get under a much lower cap threshold.

Still, they are loaded with wingers and I think a package of Georgiev+Buchnevich+2nd to a team that's further behind in their rebuild for a 2C is quite feasible for them to do.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1293639232305725440

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I hope Pittsburgh completely collapses next year.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I hope Pittsburgh completely collapses next year.

Crosby’s fading star is a grim reminder of my own deterioration

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

When Crosby retires, I am going to start looking into getting an old man cane.

He's slightly younger than me, but he's the first superstar I remember coming into the league that was around my age. I have followed his career since the beginning.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Koopa Kid posted:

I’m 100% sure it’s microstat nonsense like “cycles disrupted” and “stick checks per 60” or whatever else that doesn’t actually equal more goals for/fewer against in a season.

Ceci grades out ok in some possession/rate metrics but it’s likely a “playing with Auston Matthews and Morgan Rielly firewagon possession hockey” that once again doesn’t make him a good defender.

Ceci was the only Toronto defender with negative xG 5v5 for the leafs this playoffs with a lovely 45% expected goal split. Muzzin was 2nd worst at 50/50. Everyone else was 55% expected goals for or better. So I would love to see what 'internal' metrics are used to pretend it's a good idea to resign him (while letting Barrie walk, which I understand the aggravation towards doing that). Also GMJR still has Tom Wilson living inside his pudding brain firing synapses off so :toot: for JMFJ to retain a D spot despite being loving trash.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Also, the UFA class this year seems... pretty good? Lots of solid players available - I think with the year the Panthers had, they might be trying to offload expensive guys and probably won't re-sign one or both of Hoffman and Dadonov - Dadonov particularly would be a great investment for teams in need of offense.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Jovial Cow posted:

Carp the Rangers beat writer on the athletic seems pretty convinced the Rangers are going to buy out Hank after JD and Gorton said they’re not going into next season with 3 goalies.

Yeah but Carp is easily the dumbest and worst Rangers beat writer around, narrowly edging out Larry Brooks. Brooks is at least occasionally entertaining-ly bad.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

fawning deference posted:

I think the Rangers in a normal situation where the cap wasn't going to go down significantly and teams might even get an amnesty buyout would keep Lundqvist around for his last year and try to deal Georgiev, but they likely will buy him out if they have to get under a much lower cap threshold.

Still, they are loaded with wingers and I think a package of Georgiev+Buchnevich+2nd to a team that's further behind in their rebuild for a 2C is quite feasible for them to do.

Trick is finding a team that is interested in a package like that and has a center to spare.

Rangers have sniffed around players like Lindholm before but while I can see Calgary having a use for a goalie like Georgiev who can become a good starter, Lindholm is young and under a contract that's not atrocious.
Calgary does apparently have a billion centers and not a lot of RW's on their roster though

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Twin Cinema posted:

When Crosby retires, I am going to start looking into getting an old man cane.

He's slightly younger than me, but he's the first superstar I remember coming into the league that was around my age. I have followed his career since the beginning.

Same but Iginla... Sigh.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

The Penguins tried to do this same poo poo to defend the JJ signing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
[This space reserved for the Dallas Stars]

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Levitate posted:

Trick is finding a team that is interested in a package like that and has a center to spare.

Rangers have sniffed around players like Lindholm before but while I can see Calgary having a use for a goalie like Georgiev who can become a good starter, Lindholm is young and under a contract that's not atrocious.
Calgary does apparently have a billion centers and not a lot of RW's on their roster though

That would be interesting actually - they are deep down the middle and that would be a good package for them.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Ceci was the only Toronto defender with negative xG 5v5 for the leafs this playoffs with a lovely 45% expected goal split. Muzzin was 2nd worst at 50/50. Everyone else was 55% expected goals for or better. So I would love to see what 'internal' metrics are used to pretend it's a good idea to resign him (while letting Barrie walk, which I understand the aggravation towards doing that). Also GMJR still has Tom Wilson living inside his pudding brain firing synapses off so :toot: for JMFJ to retain a D spot despite being loving trash.

Yeah it’s obvious they’re not looking at publicly available/popular macros for their evaluation, or at least not weighting them highly. Which I think is a mistake but hey, some of their moves make more sense now.

I‘m going to choose to believe they’re just doing the thing where they show their players they stick up for people and they’re not actually laying the groundwork for re-signing Ceci. They probably couldn’t afford him lol

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Levitate posted:

I think a huge part of it is salary cap. Also:

But basically trading Georgiev is definitely an option and I expect they're looking at that too (he alone probably can't net them a 2C or top 4 LD obviously but perhaps as part of a package) but at the same time if the cap crunches make it more necessary to free up some cap space this year then they might go for the buyout instead. Keeping Georgiev around for another year to help Shesterkin handle the load and also try to pump his value up some more, give Wall time to adjust to pro hockey, etc.

I'll be honest I also think the Rangers really want to bring back Fast. He's one of the best forechecker/board workers on the team and they missed that against Carolina, and he's always been a well liked and valued member of the team. But if you're looking at Fast, you're looking at re-signing Lemieux, looking at DeAngelo...something's gotta give cap wise. And yeah Lemieux is blah as a player a lot of times but he is another sand paper guy that the Rangers lack and we know they want to be "harder to play against" and are likely keeping guys like that.

e: I also like Buch a lot in general but yeah as mentioned he's a prime possible candidate to be moved for help elsewhere and free up some cap space. Especially if they re-sign Fast who was very effective playing with Panarin this season (even though that always feels cringy since his actual offensive abilities aren't great) and can realistically expect Kakko to take a step forward and perhaps at least match Buch's production, maybe have Kravtsov pushing for a RW spot, etc...
Also wonder if they're more likely to let Strome go/trade him as he looked pretty weak in the 3 Carolina games and the Rangers seemed annoyed and upset that their forwards weren't getting to the net which is never a strong part of Strome's game

I like Fast, he's a perfectly competent bottom 6 W, but he is way more replaceable than Buch. Bottom six guys aren't hard to find and he wouldn't sniff minutes with Panarin if the team had a better option up there. Buch was hovering around 50pts in 3 or his first 4 seasons. Buch has more trade value, but until at least one of the young wingers they have shows up, I think he needs to at least get a bridge deal. The only scenario where I think trading him is worth it is if they add a genuinely good center to slot in behind Z.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I like Fast, he's a perfectly competent bottom 6 W, but he is way more replaceable than Buch. Bottom six guys aren't hard to find and he wouldn't sniff minutes with Panarin if the team had a better option up there. Buch was hovering around 50pts in 3 or his first 4 seasons. Buch has more trade value, but until at least one of the young wingers they have shows up, I think he needs to at least get a bridge deal. The only scenario where I think trading him is worth it is if they add a genuinely good center to slot in behind Z.

Didn't Buch already get bridged?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Didn't Buch already get bridged?

Yeah he signed his 2 year deal last summer.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Are there any UFA dmen that Toronto actually has a shot at?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Alizee posted:

Schultz ?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I mean the only justification for JR saying what he said is that the Penguins are not re-signing Schultz and they are stuck with JJ.

But then again it still is a pretty lovely thing to do.

The biggest problem with the Pens is JR at this point. After they won two cups he traded for Ryan Reaves and since then has he made a good move? John Marino I guess was a trade, that worked out well so far

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

myron cope posted:

I mean the only justification for JR saying what he said is that the Penguins are not re-signing Schultz and they are stuck with JJ.

But then again it still is a pretty lovely thing to do.

The biggest problem with the Pens is JR at this point. After they won two cups he traded for Ryan Reaves and since then has he made a good move? John Marino I guess was a trade, that worked out well so far

I have a hard time seeing the Zucker trade burning them. THey'd have to collapse harder than SJ did and anything's possible but they'd be really hard-pressed to do it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Alizee posted:

Cody Ceci.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Who ironically does not have a shot himself.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Radko Gudas is UFA after the playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Leafs have 4.5 million to deal with having an iffy defensive core and not enough depth scoring. Have to think Barrie walks and gets like I dunno 6x7mil or something dumb so there goes a bunch of offense from the blueline and replacing that isn't cheap and rummaging around in the bargain bin for depth scoring can be difficult at the best of times. The cap not moving anywhere the last 2 years or so really screws the leafs over hard too since Matthews/Marner/Tavares continue to eat up a significant % of cap space. Moving Nylander does nothing but shuffle deck chairs unless you replace those 60 points up front and somehow get a cost controlled defenseman to put up 30+ points as well. Go knock in the Rangers door tbh. DeAngelo/Buch for something like Nylander and Kappenen/Johnsson with some other junk throw in might get you there.

Edit: Otherwise you're trying to get something like Shattenkirk on a real cheap deal like he has in Tampa. Fast/Ennis I dunno Leivo on the cheap as well and hoping for the best.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 13, 2020