Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dreqqus posted:

I got a Qanba Drone a while back to try and learn stick but my dumb brain and stupid hands are too old to learn new things as it turns out.

Same. I actually just did some extensive testing and I think keyboard is the way to go for my brain, particularly using WASD although that makes down-up moves interesting and circle moves really tricky (but I don't play those characters really anyway). I still suck but I feel like the keyboard is getting in the way a lot less than gamepad or stick where I don't feel super-confident I'm not subtly loving up directional inputs somehow (when I gently caress up inputs or timing on keyboard I realize it immediately). Might have to just migrate to PC for fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Thanks gang, I'm going to get back on it soon, temporarily distracted by Fall Guys

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Endorph posted:

well kanos and i just gave very different opinions so now we have to fight to the death

Kanos posted:

Honestly the only point where I actually disagree with you is [...]

this is very gundam, good job staying on-brand

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Hace posted:

poo poo like that is why i fear anything that isnt qanba, hori, or a custom board.

I have a MayFlash5000 (I think?). It's not the Elite which I believe is newer, but it was the higher-end of the 2-3 models available when I bought it roughly two years ago. I replaced the buttons and stick with all Sanwa parts, and the thing works great with both my Switch and PS4. In fact, its build reminds me a lot of the first Mad Catz TE from the early days of SF4. My only complaint is you have to plug a PS4/Xbox controller into a USB port on the front of the stick itself when playing on those respective consoles, but there are wireless dongle options available. It's really the only drawback.

I can't comment on PC/Mac performance, as I've never used it on either.

All of this is to say that the MayFlash5000 is a solid, quality, and affordable stick that works on a range consoles/devices. And one should not fear it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

Try implementing more sidesteps into your combos. And yes, all the crossbone suits are very strong. They even all have free anti-beam cloaks which is amazingly useful.

Thanks for the tips!

Any ideas on what the go to melee suits are? The melee part of the game is the most fun to me, even though it's a challenge getting in a lot of the time.

I feel like I should probably be sticking to 2k or 2500 suits at the most, I can't be trusted with more responsibilities than that yet

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Arche Bael any red frame Qant

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Thanks for the tips!

Any ideas on what the go to melee suits are? The melee part of the game is the most fun to me, even though it's a challenge getting in a lot of the time.

I feel like I should probably be sticking to 2k or 2500 suits at the most, I can't be trusted with more responsibilities than that yet

The thing that's hard to get a grasp on in EXVS is that even for the melee dedicated suits, melee is a sometimes thing. A dedicated melee suit might spend the entire match jockeying to land 2-3 combos total.

If you absolutely want to melee at all costs, Bael is the pick - its tools are all braindead effective, and its combos are high damage, hard to cut, and easy to use.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

I have a MayFlash5000 (I think?). It's not the Elite which I believe is newer, but it was the higher-end of the 2-3 models available when I bought it roughly two years ago. I replaced the buttons and stick with all Sanwa parts, and the thing works great with both my Switch and PS4. In fact, its build reminds me a lot of the first Mad Catz TE from the early days of SF4. My only complaint is you have to plug a PS4/Xbox controller into a USB port on the front of the stick itself when playing on those respective consoles, but there are wireless dongle options available. It's really the only drawback.

All of this is to say that the MayFlash5000 is a solid, quality, and affordable stick that works on a range consoles/devices. And one should not fear it.

I was thinking of picking up a Mayflash F300 to try my hand at some modding. I've been using a Razer Panthera for a while now, and it's been great, but I've built PCs for decades now and wanna try my hand at putting together a custom stick eventually. The F300 seems like a decent, cheapo $50 base to start with replacing the gate and buttons myself. I came across this video and it looks super easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-4sXIsLCbc

That'll be a fun project one of these days :)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Kanos posted:

The thing that's hard to get a grasp on in EXVS is that even for the melee dedicated suits, melee is a sometimes thing. A dedicated melee suit might spend the entire match jockeying to land 2-3 combos total.

If you absolutely want to melee at all costs, Bael is the pick - its tools are all braindead effective, and its combos are high damage, hard to cut, and easy to use.

Yeah, this has been hard to get through my head to be honest. Thinking about the neutral in this game as ranged projectiles and beams and such is still kind of foreign to me, especially as this is my first arena fighter style game.

What about suits with capable melee that can play the more neutral game I guess? I don't want to necessarily build bad habits, but I do like dumb flashy attacks and such.

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Have the stock version of this stick, wondered how much difference did the sanwa upgrades make, particularly for directional input? Worth the cash? The thing feels a bit off to me but I’m pretty sure it’s mostly me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Yeah, this has been hard to get through my head to be honest. Thinking about the neutral in this game as ranged projectiles and beams and such is still kind of foreign to me, especially as this is my first arena fighter style game.

What about suits with capable melee that can play the more neutral game I guess? I don't want to necessarily build bad habits, but I do like dumb flashy attacks and such.

From the sound of your preferences, Crossbone X1 Custom is the suit you want to play. Its neutral tools serve mostly to facilitate it getting in. It has one of the best boost dash melees in the game, a super armor option to crush enemy melees, and the godly power of its whip that makes existing within a certain distance of it untenable.

It also has a ridiculously flashy special melee extender(press R2/BC during a melee combo) that is actually useful when you catch somebody in a 1 on 1 and have time to style on them for massive damage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah x1 deems like your kinda suit. Dark Hound or Zeydra too, check them out. Dark Hound has good assists and an awesome machine gun along with good melee and flashy wire combos, and zeydra pairs a laser cannon with a super mode and a rider kick.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Kanos posted:

From the sound of your preferences, Crossbone X1 Custom is the suit you want to play. Its neutral tools serve mostly to facilitate it getting in. It has one of the best boost dash melees in the game, a super armor option to crush enemy melees, and the godly power of its whip that makes existing within a certain distance of it untenable.

It also has a ridiculously flashy special melee extender(press R2/BC during a melee combo) that is actually useful when you catch somebody in a 1 on 1 and have time to style on them for massive damage.

Oh dang, that sounds perfect! I'll give it a try as soon as I play again.

Endorph posted:

Yeah x1 deems like your kinda suit. Dark Hound or Zeydra too, check them out. Dark Hound has good assists and an awesome machine gun along with good melee and flashy wire combos, and zeydra pairs a laser cannon with a super mode and a rider kick.

These sound amazing as well, gonna try out all 3

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

teagone posted:

I was thinking of picking up a Mayflash F300 to try my hand at some modding. I've been using a Razer Panthera for a while now, and it's been great, but I've built PCs for decades now and wanna try my hand at putting together a custom stick eventually. The F300 seems like a decent, cheapo $50 base to start with replacing the gate and buttons myself. I came across this video and it looks super easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-4sXIsLCbc

That'll be a fun project one of these days :)

So looking on Amazon, I have the F500. There's also the F500 Elite, but that looks like it already comes with Sanwa buttons and a Sanwa stick, eliminating the need to replace those parts.

Honestly though, I'd recommend spending the extra $30ish to buy the F500 and modding that. The build is better/sturdier than the F300. It really is reminiscent of the original TE.

At any rate, replacing the buttons and stick is super easy, takes maybe a little over an hour the first time, and requires like 2 tools: a Phillip's Head screwdriver and some pliers.

Lorcrimes posted:

Have the stock version of this stick, wondered how much difference did the sanwa upgrades make, particularly for directional input? Worth the cash? The thing feels a bit off to me but I’m pretty sure it’s mostly me.

In short, yes they make a huge difference imo, especially the buttons. They're considerably more responsive, and last for-loving-ever. Between SF4 and MvC3, I spent (I'm embarrassed to say) somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 hours before the buttons started to die. This is on top however much time (probably thousands more hours) I spent with other fgs of that era, like KOFXIII, 3S Online, the MvC2 rerelease, ST Remix, etc.And none of that counts going to meet-ups, tournos, etc.

I'd say the same for the stick, which I never had to replace. Considerably more responsive than a stock generic.

As an aside, when I modded the F500 originally, I replaced the square gate on the Sanwa stick with an octagonal gate, and absolutely hated it. I'm curious to try the octa gate again though...

The next mod I want to try is replacing the spring in the stick itself. I'm curious if any of you have experience with that.

JesusLovesRonwell fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 13, 2020

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

How are the Mayflash buttons? Don't mind replacing them, but if they're passable that seems like a great backup stick.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3
They're fine. I'd say serviceable.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The F500 for being like a cheapo stick is pretty cool with just how easy it is to cobble it into something better pretty easily, that and it's a nice little canvas for art, I've seen so many mayflashes turned into cool things.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
So it seems that RPCS3 (PS3 emulator) has online working now, somewhat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7uvDFSw6A0

quote:

This server code, along with the hefty amount of improvements made to RPCS3 enables users to play in multiplayer and co-op modes in games that don't require a custom server in addition to PSN, or already have one. One such example for the latter would be Demon's Souls, which now fully works in multiplayer with RPCN as the private PSN server and DeSSE (by ymgve) as the private DeS custom server, with every feature intact.

It should be noted however that RPCN is far from being finished yet, so only a very small number of games work at the moment. In our current testing, Bomberman Ultra and Demon's Souls are the only ones that work reliably, but hopefully the community will discover others that work well too!

What are the chances that this could work for fighting games, like Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown for example? It would be a very cool way to play some older FGs from that era if it works.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Big Scary Owl posted:

What are the chances that this could work for fighting games, like Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown for example? It would be a very cool way to play some older FGs from that era if it works.

Depends if they needed a master server to talk to at all, which would require someone reverse-engineering it to be able to talk to the clients.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
parsec would almost certainly be a better option than emulating psn netplay

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

univbee posted:

Same. I actually just did some extensive testing and I think keyboard is the way to go for my brain, particularly using WASD although that makes down-up moves interesting and circle moves really tricky (but I don't play those characters really anyway). I still suck but I feel like the keyboard is getting in the way a lot less than gamepad or stick where I don't feel super-confident I'm not subtly loving up directional inputs somehow (when I gently caress up inputs or timing on keyboard I realize it immediately). Might have to just migrate to PC for fighting games.

Stick takes some getting used to, really just pick whichever control method suits you and stick with it.

Normally I'd say use a ps4 compatible controller bc of locals and tournaments but that won't be a thing for awhile...

Also, for whoever asked about sanwa parts, yes, definitely replace your mayflash parts with samwa or seimitsu parts. It's not that expensive and you can feel the difference

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I got some stiffer springs and larger actuators to play around with on my sanwa stick. They were cool but I always found myself switching back to the stock parts for fightgames. I did like the stiffer spring for non fighting arcade games like metal slug, beatmeups, etc. They're easy to swap out and very cheap so getting a range and experimenting isn't too cost prohibitive. I keep the stock parts in an obsidian and use the stiff spring in a drone that I upgraded.

Sanwa vs stock drone lever was a huge improvement but the buttons didn't feel any different stock vs sanwa. In the obsidian i put in the newer sanwa silent buttons which are pretty cool and quite a lot quieter without having a super dull bottom-out like the old style with foam pad silencers. Add a phreakmods link removable lever and the drone makes a fantastic travel stick.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Posting to sing the praises of the Seimitsu LS-32 as a good, solid stick with a firm throw for meat-handed gamers who just want to slam-jam their way to the win screen.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I use the same lever, it's good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Icons is Back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWjFqxDLPh0

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Was Robo-Ky the first kinda...I guess trope of having a robot version of a character?

I dunno if the Cyber Ninjas in MK count for that.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Was Robo-Ky the first kinda...I guess trope of having a robot version of a character?

I dunno if the Cyber Ninjas in MK count for that.

MechGief predates Robo-Ky by a few years, but he's basically just a grey palate Zangief with hyper armor and no blocking until the costume finally got brought back and polished up for SFIV, so I dunno how much he counts for you.

Melty Blood also beat it by a few months with Mech-Hisui, I think.

Robot Sub-Zero definitely counts but he didn't exist until MK9. Smoke... might count? There is both a human and a robot Smoke... but we got the robot Smoke first so... eh?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

MechGief predates Robo-Ky by a few years, but he's basically just a grey palate Zangief with hyper armor and no blocking until the costume finally got brought back and polished up for SFIV, so I dunno how much he counts for you.

Melty Blood also beat it by a few months with Mech-Hisui, I think.

Robot Sub-Zero definitely counts but he didn't exist until MK9. Smoke... might count? There is both a human and a robot Smoke... but we got the robot Smoke first so... eh?

I didn't know about MechGief, but from what I could tell GGXX came out in May 2002 while Melty 1 was December or something.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Mech-Hisui predates the proper GGXX#R Robo-Ky as a playable character, but there are versions of RK in GGX Plus and GGXX that are just different versions of normal Ky and not really their own real characters

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Veib posted:

Mech-Hisui predates the proper GGXX#R Robo-Ky as a playable character, but there are versions of RK in GGX Plus and GGXX that are just different versions of normal Ky and not really their own real characters

Ahhh, okay. It's all starting to make sense now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mr. Locke posted:

Smoke was first playable in MK3 as a robot but human Smoke first appeared as a secret CPU character in MK2.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Smoke was first playable in MK3 as a robot but human Smoke first appeared as a secret CPU character in MK2.

Oh god, was he one of those bullshit palette swaps with hyper-obscure fighting requirements that nobody even knew existed in MK2 until a decade later? Cause they don't count. Nobody knew Smoke was a thing until Robot Smoke because nobody legitimately ever fought MK2 Smoke until the planets aligned sometime in 2001 or something.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Locke posted:

Oh god, was he one of those bullshit palette swaps with hyper-obscure fighting requirements that nobody even knew existed in MK2 until a decade later? Cause they don't count. Nobody knew Smoke was a thing until Robot Smoke because nobody legitimately ever fought MK2 Smoke until the planets aligned sometime in 2001 or something.
Nah, the three secret fights in MK2 were all known about at the time, and heavily advertised in magazines and such of the era, especially once the home ports arrived.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

quote:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted

Mr. Locke posted:

Oh god, was he one of those bullshit palette swaps

Awwwwkward

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mr. Locke posted:

I don't know exactly how long it took people to find out how to get him to appear but he and the other secret characters weren't a secret, they literally jump out between rounds and taunt you to find them, they peek out from behind the trees in that one stage, etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Dave posted:

Awwwwkward

In his defence I have a terrible username. Bad av too

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also didn’t every arcade have that guy that would be selling printed out move lists and telling everyone about secrets?

Oh god my brother and I bought a Killer Instinct pack from him.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, everyone knew about MK2 Smoke, even if they hadn't fulfilled the requirements, because just like MK1 Reptile, all three secret characters in MK2 would randomly appear before matches to drop clues.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Big Scary Owl posted:

What game is this for? UMvC3 is great on parsec, MvC2 and CvS2 work great on NullDC - what PS3 fighter doesn't already have a better PC setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/1294184486159015936