Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Terebus posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but could people donate directly and specifically to their local USPS branch, and if so can they request that money be used directly for mail in ballots?

It's not gonna stop the postmaster from yanking out ballot sorting machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Terebus posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but could people donate directly and specifically to their local USPS branch, and if so can they request that money be used directly for mail in ballots?

don't know about specific branches, buuuuut

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Or deciding in the 11th hour to just not deliver ballots from Democratic leaning areas, period.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The piss tape is real?

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's probably impossible but theoretically if a local USPS branch had enough money could they buy their own sorting machines?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

welp, as predictable as the sunrise.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1293938354988425216

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

The piss tape is real?

It always was

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Is there any reason companies like Amazon that make heavy use of USPS can't put up a disclaimer about the cuts to the postal service leading to increased delays, and maybe voting in Democrats in the fall would allow for proper funding and on time deliveries for Christmas? I've already seen Facebook posts by smaller places about the delays and the causes for it.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Abner Assington posted:

Does Twitter go into inane derails for several pages? Checkmate.

Well, yes.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Solenna posted:

Is there any reason companies like Amazon that make heavy use of USPS can't put up a disclaimer about the cuts to the postal service leading to increased delays, and maybe voting in Democrats in the fall would allow for proper funding and on time deliveries for Christmas? I've already seen Facebook posts by smaller places about the delays and the causes for it.

Sure they can, but it will piss off the cultists who are sure Democratic sorcerers made their back hurt and turned them bald.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Legalize Weed

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Solenna posted:

It would be pretty ironic if the rise of Amazon as a popular company was the reason people start caring about USPS getting defunded in the age of Trump.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Terebus posted:

It's probably impossible but theoretically if a local USPS branch had enough money could they buy their own sorting machines?

I don't think that USPS branches are independent enough to have much control over this sort of thing. And fundamentally the Republican sabotage doesn't have anything to do with the USPS' financial situation. But at the end of the day, supporting the use of the USPS will only benefit it and the system as a whole.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Craig K posted:

don't know about specific branches, buuuuut

I like model cars because I'm a self diagnosed sperg so this is more up my alley.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Aside from what other people have said, there's the same problem as in every other non-monstrous agency of the federal government (and some of the monstrous ones): loss of institutional knowledge.

Some of the people will come back, a lot of it can be rebuilt, but not instantaneously. It'll continue causing increased human suffering for quite possibly years.

Normally that’s the case but for the USPS poo poo going on now I get the distinct impression that the postmaster is loving things up mostly through mostly fairly easy to reverse poo poo like eliminating overtime and prohibiting employees from doing things to offset being understaffed. He’s also doing some poo poo that will cause lasting damage like loving with senior management, but the USPS that most people interact with should be able to snap back pretty quickly if they got funding and he got fired.

He seems less like every lovely new boss ever. Come in, perfunctory reorg to put his own stamp on things, cut costs in pound-foolish ways to boost his short term metrics, and demand changes in procedures he has no understanding about to “shake things up”.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Solenna posted:

Why should they, they are licking their lips on the prospect of owning massive chunks of mail delivery areas themselves.
Whole cities that will have to pay for you to deliver birthday cards, business mail, and now even their own courier sent items.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shifty Pony posted:

Normally that’s the case but for the USPS poo poo going on now I get the distinct impression that the postmaster is loving things up mostly through mostly fairly easy to reverse poo poo like eliminating overtime and prohibiting employees from doing things to offset being understaffed. He’s also doing some poo poo that will cause lasting damage like loving with senior management, but the USPS that most people interact with should be able to snap back pretty quickly if they got funding and he got fired.

He seems less like every lovely new boss ever. Come in, perfunctory reorg to put his own stamp on things, cut costs in pound-foolish ways to boost his short term metrics, and demand changes in procedures he has no understanding about to “shake things up”.

Yeah, I was mostly thinking about at the administrative level, which still matters, but I'm still a little concerned about the possibility of people quitting from the strain.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 13, 2020

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

TwoQuestions posted:

Or deciding in the 11th hour to just not deliver ballots from Democratic leaning areas, period.

It should be reiterated that even if USPS had to sort every ballot by hand, they'd still be quite capable of doing it so long as ballots are turned in early in the election cycle. Generally ballots don't travel very far, and may not even get machine-sorted at all, since they get delivered to your local county election board. The solution here is to not wait until the 11th hour in the first place - which is already a good idea even without a sabotaging Republican involved.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if the us postal service went on strike right now until funding was secured

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Solenna posted:

the FEC might have something to say about political mailers but then again, freedom of speech? I don't know.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Questions about Cohen’s book please

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What if the us postal service went on strike right now until funding was secured

Trump would just fire all the strikers and bring in scabs from some grifter's company.

I don't think a strike is a bad idea but you would need it to be a general strike, it can't just be the post office. If like...drivers from UPS and FEDEX and the like also walked off the job then I think you'd be in business.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ought ten posted:

Questions about Cohen’s book please

we are gonna get questions about bidens mask mandate(which is good) and trumps hosed up USPS poo poo.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

I wonder if Trump's going to bring in blown-up versions of those lovely misleading charts he posted on twitter.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

we are gonna get questions about bidens mask mandate(which is good) and trumps hosed up USPS poo poo.

Okay, save the piss tape question for the end so he has to answer those before stomping off

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Hilariously a in February I received a gift card for AMC Theaters and thought to myself "maybe this will get me to actually go see a movie since they are so expensive now."

That's a big hell no to that idea this year I'm afraid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ought ten posted:

Okay, save the piss tape question for the end so he has to answer those before stomping off

so is the piss tape real now? i guess cohen is making a book.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, I was mostly thinking about at the administrative level, but I'm still a little concerned about the possibility of people quitting from the strain.

Fair enough. I don’t think that will be too big of a deal since this started when we’re (hopefully) very close to a new administration. Hunkering down and working to the letter of your job requirements until the latest political appointee gets shitcanned by the new admin is a well honed skill for most federal employees :v:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Apparently some folks in my city have set up a pop-up drive-in cinema that they plan to operate into November, so that's neat. I've never been to a drive-in, but it seems like it could be novel and fun.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

logger posted:

Hilariously a in February I received a gift card for AMC Theaters and thought to myself "maybe this will get me to actually go see a movie since they are so expensive now."

Movie tickets are not even *that* expensive. Its the concessions that are killer, which Im not sure if AMC is changing

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so is the piss tape real now? i guess cohen is making a book.

It’s not but I’m not sorry it’s back in the news

Kaal
May 22, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Postal workers are prohibited from striking, and Republicans would happily fire them all and wait until December to hire their replacements. Last time there was a postal strike, Nixon used the military to distribute mail in their place. This didn't work well, but modern Republicans wouldn't have an issue with that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._postal_strike_of_1970

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

ought ten posted:

It’s not but I’m not sorry it’s back in the news

Blasphemer

Edit: also it's pretty apparent that the democracy is really held together with tape and bubble gum and can't stand up to someone actively looking for exploitable vulnerabilities.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Kaal posted:

Postal workers are prohibited from striking, and Republicans would happily fire them all and wait until December to hire their replacements. Last time there was a postal strike, Nixon used the military to distribute mail in their place. This didn't work well, but modern Republicans wouldn't have an issue with that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._postal_strike_of_1970

Classic Nixon liberal move

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

happyhippy posted:

Why should they, they are licking their lips on the prospect of owning massive chunks of mail delivery areas themselves.
Whole cities that will have to pay for you to deliver birthday cards, business mail, and now even their own courier sent items.
my understanding was that for rural and other hard to get to areas USPS is the only service that isn't cost prohibitive since it is a federal service.

Also :420:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Movie tickets are not even *that* expensive. Its the concessions that are killer, which Im not sure if AMC is changing

Yeah, but there's free popcorn! lung

Kaal
May 22, 2002

plogo posted:

Classic Nixon liberal move

Ah yes, noted liberal Richard Nixon.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

logger posted:

You would have to be crazy to go to the movies this year - and all of the things worth making a trip to the theaters to see got pushed back until next year anyway.

That said, AMC got their poo poo together pre-COVID. They upgraded their theaters, started serving alcohol in a lot of locations, and had a $20/month subscription that let you see 4 movies a week with no limitations. In NYC, an IMAX or Dolby ticket was already 26.50, and regular showings around 21.50, so you just needed to go once a month to save money.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Solenna posted:

Why would Amazon give a poo poo, they've made bank during the Trump years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah the death of the cinema chain is a shame, but i think about the only place I'd less want to visit in a global pandemic is a Gym. I'm not stepping foot in either till there's a reliable vaccine.