Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Green Intern posted:

If I remember correctly, Uncle Max never showed up again after this arc, because Watterson found it awkward that he couldn't have Max call his brother by his name. Mom and Dad were always supposed to be Mom and Dad, never named.
I had one of the commentated collections as a kid, and Watterson mentioned that and also that he had no idea what to do with Max. Which is why he never showed up again.

CzarChasm posted:

Oof.

From what I hear Larson is a genuinely nice guy and whether he's returning because he needs the money, or just has something he wants to say or just create again, I'm all in favor of.
Please tell me you know Kelly's schtick and are just making a side comment.

2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

gently caress em up, Anne.

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

(Deep, shuddering inhale)

YUP.

Oh my satan, the only reason Batiuk wrote the wildfire into his comic is to make Les flashback to saving St. Lisa and use that to finally give his full support to Marianne playing the role of Cancerwife. This is beyond tasteless.

gently caress YOU, BATIUK!

CzarChasm posted:

From what I hear Larson is a genuinely nice guy and whether he's returning because he needs the money, or just has something he wants to say or just create again, I'm all in favor of.

Here's the story of how Gary Larson started doing more Far Side again. It's really heartwarming. :3:

https://twitter.com/DaveScheidt/status/1280652819977179136

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kelly is good, Larson is good.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Boy, don't you just love it when the first thing an abuser does when they see you is invade your personal space? Michael's look of discomfort in the last panel can even be interpreted to him not happy to have his abuser to close to him.

Lynn tried to make this sound sentimental but it's completely unearned. You just know she'll be back to verbally abusing her son the next day, or making some snide comment about how glad she is that her son's girlfriend left him since it proves her right.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I want to live in an Obnoxious Mansion

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Kelly is good, Larson is good.

Rose is Rose

Literally an open fret? That's the one she forgot??

Is the joke that everyone in this strip is insufferable and brainless? Because man that was yesterday's punchline too.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Third wife? Do we know who wife number 1 is (assuming this is wife number 2)?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"One of you will betray me," Mary says, as they each take a piece of banana bread, representing her body.
And again with the banana bread. What the hell is going on here?

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Well looks like my prediction that Margo would answer was wrong.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Banana bread is really good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Third wife? Do we know who wife number 1 is (assuming this is wife number 2)?

Nope. It's a tantalizing loose end introduced intentionally.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bongo Bill posted:

Speaking of which, there's more The Far Side New Stuff,

This one is so, so good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

[

The Phantom

The ghost who walks..away.

The ghost who ghosts you.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Alhazred posted:

The ghost who walks..away.

The ghost who ghosts you.

The ghost that is hiding behind a bush.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Haifisch posted:

Please tell me you know Kelly's schtick and are just making a side comment.

Yes. I'm familiar with Kelly and I usually enjoy his comics. I don't know why this one tripped me up. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy

Dear god that middle panel, drat. Edit out the balloons (or leave them in even) and it's a perfect avatar.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Mikl posted:

Dear god that middle panel, drat. Edit out the balloons (or leave them in even) and it's a perfect avatar.
Curious what you thought you were quoting since although the kids in Locher Tracy are terribly drawn, they're not that bad. :v:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Haifisch posted:

Curious what you thought you were quoting since although the kids in Locher Tracy are terribly drawn, they're not that bad. :v:

Took me a few moments to realize was saying (speech) balloons.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

EasyEW posted:

9 "Oh God, they're not done yet?" Lane

What the gently caress is happening in that second panel!!! What the gently caress is happening to everyone's anatomy!!! Why does this comic always make me so angry!!!

Looked too fast and thought that was Squidward

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EBB posted:

Mämmilä has been wonderful this week

I agree, but I have to admit at some point I completely lost track of what's going on. I think I got lost in all the politicking and now that it's become the main story arc, I haven't been able to really catch up.

Anyway,

More timg'd Conan Jun. 30th- Jul. 6th, 1980

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mikl posted:

catlord posted:

I agree, but I have to admit at some point I completely lost track of what's going on. I think I got lost in all the politicking and now that it's become the main story arc, I haven't been able to really catch up.

More or less the cows are coming home. Heimo has escaped the relationship with his wife who now has to make ends meet somehow. Today is possible legal action being brought for all those junipers being illegally cut. Still some people left for karma to touch but I feel like we'll get there. We're seeing the "Punk Cave" attract a lot of good personalities while the new business attracted the greedy and in Pekka's case, the naive.

EBB fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 13, 2020

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

EasyEW posted:

Ted Forth's Brave New World

Me, at the first faculty meeting every year. As you young kids say, i been doxxed

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

sweeperbravo posted:

What the gently caress is happening in that second panel!!! What the gently caress is happening to everyone's anatomy!!! Why does this comic always make me so angry!!!

Looked too fast and thought that was Squidward

She's lifting her feet backwards up towards where her rear end would be if anyone in this comic had one, so she can kick off her shoes.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe

Rae the Doe's web archives

Rae Comes Out

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EBB posted:

More or less the cows are coming home. Heimo has escaped the relationship with his wife who now has to make ends meet somehow. Today is possible legal action being brought for all those junipers being illegally cut. Still some people left for karma to touch but I feel like we'll get there. We're seeing the "Punk Cave" attract a lot of good personalities while the new business attracted the greedy and in Pekka's case, the naive.

Ok, thanks for the quick recap.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 7/12/42

Get the lesson, 1942 girls? Pursue your man with singleminded dedication, no matter what he says or does, and he'll eventually give up and ask you to marry him!
Coincidentally also the motto of most of the rapey sex romp comedies of the 80s. "Girls only say no to make you prove your value, try harder!"

B Kliban

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mikl posted:

It's like an Orthodox Church icon, but with J. Edgar Hoover as Mary and Glenn Danzig as the baby Jesus.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Johnny Aztec posted:

Took me a few moments to realize was saying (speech) balloons.
:doh:

Goddammit, don't doxx me this hard. It's rude.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster ROckit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders So much text it's like Sally Forth

Zorro

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is blocking ads.

Working Daze is...god, I just can't.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix just let the camera roll.

Cul De Sac should have been there.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Edge of Diagnosis

"An obvious broken neck as the head is slightly detached!" Get a load of Dr. House here.

And if you were hoping for something that might clarify the time line of Lucinde's back story, this is absolutely no help. Unless she's actually something like eight.

I'm going to say that it'll be amnesia from a head injury.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac should have been there.

So, is this proof that that kid isn't imaginary, or am I getting him confused with a different character?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

FrumpleOrz posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

...what is she, then?

Ardeem posted:

So, is this proof that that kid isn't imaginary, or am I getting him confused with a different character?
Different character.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ernesto is imaginary.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

goatface posted:

Ernesto is imaginary.
Ernesto might be imaginary.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Darthemed posted:

...what is she, then?

Sanrio says she's just a British school kid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/28963085/hello-kitty-is-not-a-cat---shes-a-british-school-kid

quote:

You would be forgiven for having thought for your entire life that Hello Kitty was a cat.

After all, she does kind of look like one - and she is called Kitty.

But her creators Sanrio are adamant. She is a British school kid called Kitty White and she lives just outside London (although no-one is saying exactly where).

In fact, she has a whole life story and a family that includes a twin sister called Mimmy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
All comic strip characters are imaginary, you dummies!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ernesto might be imaginary.

It's can't be proven or disproven.

I miss Richard Thompson :(

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Even if he's really imaginary, I can see why someone might imagine that he's real.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Explain Batz Maru then

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

PainterofCrap posted:

Explain Batz Maru then

Batz is a penguin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sanrio has walked that one back some.

quote:

When Kotaku called Sanrio's Tokyo headquarters today and asked whether or not Hello Kitty was indeed a cat, a spokesperson explained, "Hello Kitty was done in the motif of a cat. It's going too far to say that Hello Kitty is not a cat. Hello Kitty is a personification of a cat."
https://kotaku.com/dont-be-silly-hello-kitty-is-a-cat-1627820750

How common, in regular speech, is the 10km mile in Scandinavia?

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 14, 2020