Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

goldrush posted:

https://twitter.com/ConorRyan_93/status/1294114857311252481?s=09

Tuukka sounds excited to be here. He's trolling the Boston media at this point, right?

He's not wrong. Having no fans is just bizarre and it does take a lot of the excitement out of the games. It's going to feel especially awkward the deeper into this thing we get.

I went to game 5 vs the Preds a few years ago and it was an amazing atmosphere and I won't soon forget it. It sucks that a lot of fans are going to miss out on that experience due to the pandemic. There really is nothing like going to a Stanley Cup finals home game for your team live. It's a different atmosphere even compared to normal playoff hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It sucks not having a crowd, but I rest easy knowing I still got to hear this crowd in person this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Lsal4SsEo

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

If they'd cancelled the playoffs this year all the players would be going on about how they'd prefer to play in front of empty arenas for a chance to win the cup and that they don't need fans to build that intensity.

A hell of a lot of games have had bad blood even with the empty stands. I've not noticed the lack of fans for the most part.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey, here's a thing:

https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/1294286992113635330

ThinkTank posted:

If they'd cancelled the playoffs this year all the players would be going on about how they'd prefer to play in front of empty arenas for a chance to win the cup and that they don't need fans to build that intensity.

A hell of a lot of games have had bad blood even with the empty stands. I've not noticed the lack of fans for the most part.

Is there a difference in how the crowd noise is piped-in on the broadcast? FOX Sports Ohio hasn't seemed to have it to the level NBCSN has in the games I've watched.

Shinjobi posted:

It sucks not having a crowd, but I rest easy knowing I still got to hear this crowd in person this season.

And I didn't realize just how much I needed an Ohio Stadium Winter Classic in my life until right now.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is there a difference in how the crowd noise is piped-in on the broadcast? FOX Sports Ohio hasn't seemed to have it to the level NBCSN has in the games I've watched.

I think so. First games I watched were Ranger games on MSG and didn’t get what the big deal with crowd noise was but when I watched a game on NBCSN it was very loud and noticeable. They need to tone it down a notch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, plus someone posted an in arena clip yesterday (May have been on Discord) and it sounds much crappier and obviously artificial.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, plus someone posted an in arena clip yesterday (May have been on Discord) and it sounds much crappier and obviously artificial.

So it IS heard in-arena and not just piped into the broadcast, then. I wasn't sure if it was or if they had the full beer-league sound experience.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/1293616516051722245

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I also noticed on the broadcast last night (at loving 0130 because that start time is absurd) that they do some sort of digital scrambling so that you can't hear the, uh, conversations happening in the scrums. Guess they don't want to risk having any fun a heated gamer moment or rag related incident.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Cocaine Bear posted:

I also noticed on the broadcast last night (at loving 0130 because that start time is absurd) that they do some sort of digital scrambling so that you can't hear the, uh, conversations happening in the scrums. Guess they don't want to risk having any fun a heated gamer moment or rag related incident.

Yeah, they're on a slight delay so they can reverse the audio when they hear a no-no word. loving FCC.

They seem to have their signal chain fixed so we don't get ref calls that sound like Sims.
https://streamable.com/e/edz9ck?loop=0

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN posted:

Canadiens coach Claude Julien was released from the hospital and will return home to Montreal to rest after having a stent inserted into his coronary artery, the team announced Friday.

Julien was admitted to St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto on Wednesday after experiencing chest pains following his team's 2-1 loss in Game 1 of its first-round playoff series against the Philadelphia Flyers.

Doctors expect a full recovery, the team said.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Cahter broke poor Julien's Haht :downsrim:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Dzus posted:

Yeah, they're on a slight delay so they can reverse the audio when they hear a no-no word. loving FCC.

They seem to have their signal chain fixed so we don't get ref calls that sound like Sims.

They still sometimes manage to reverse the NBC commercial break transition music and such, and it reverses the fake crowd noise, which it shouldn't either if they were smart.

It seems so obvious to me that the reversing should only affect rinkside mics and nothing else, but now it seems to affect everything except commentary.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cocaine Bear posted:

Apparently it had Razor cracking up on commentary cause you could clearly tell words were flying

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

goldrush posted:

I remember the whole "is this the end of superstar goaltending needed to win Cups?" narrative that peaked at that time, following the period of the first five seasons after the lockout featuring a lot of Cup finals teams without that traditional star goalie like we got used to during the Roy/Brodeur/Hasek/Belfour era. That Niemi/Leighton final was the zenith. That narrative ended up fizzling out with the stellar Thomas/Quick seasons that followed.
I don't know how you can say that while looking at a list of recent Cup winners and stick with that statement.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Isn't one of the issues that there isn't any goalie on the tier of Roy/Brodeur/Hasek/Belfour? Lundqvist and Luongo come the closest, and even they feel far off.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Luongo and Lundqvist are miles ahead of Belfour who was the Johnny Quick of his era.

Like all things, there's no one way to build a cup winner and having a world class goalie helps but is also not necessary like all positions. Looking at the few most recent championship teams and drawing sweeping conclusions about team construction from them is myopic in the extreme. The only surefire way to win a cup is to build up a lot of talent and depth top it off with a massive dollop of luck.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 14, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Luongo and Lundqvist are miles ahead of Belfour who was the Johnny Quick of his era.

I'm pretty sure he means reputation/star power wise. Today's goalies are all better than 3 of those guys and a good amount of them are better than the 4th.

It's a lot harder to be a goalie in the modern era. You can't just drink and sister gently caress your way into the record books anymore. Harder job, more variation, people don't get behind the guys in the same way and their reputations don't build up.

Except for Carey Price in Canada. The Sportsnet broadcasts this entire post-season have just been a close-up Carey Price blowjob (which is legal to show on basic cable in Canada.)

Every Toronto goalie is #1 in the world until he loses a game too.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

Billion-dollar Eddie has multiple individual seasons which exceed, in value, Quick's cumulative output to date.

Early-career Belfour is somewhat forgotten these days.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 14, 2020

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Avs need to fire their special teams coach after this season. No excuse for the powerplay to look this incompetent with the talent they have. It's like they are afraid to shoot the puck, unless the net is completely empty. So frustrating to watch

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

How do you knock the puck into your own team's net when it's not even a deflection or anything? :psyduck:. Avalanche look like crap today, so many dumb mistakes

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Early-career Belfour is somewhat forgotten these days.

Most players on those old Chicago teams were forgotten because Bill Wirtz was the worst owner in the history of professional sports and only games played in Chicago were broadcast and only on his lovely Blackhawks TV thing.

gently caress Bill Wirtz

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hand Knit posted:

Billion-dollar Eddie

Lol

E: feelin fine

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

I like the thing they do where they show footage of fans in their homes celebrating goals at the arena. They should show that on tv for every goal :)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Aphrodite posted:

I'm pretty sure he means reputation/star power wise. Today's goalies are all better than 3 of those guys and a good amount of them are better than the 4th.

It's a lot harder to be a goalie in the modern era. You can't just drink and sister gently caress your way into the record books anymore. Harder job, more variation, people don't get behind the guys in the same way and their reputations don't build up.

Except for Carey Price in Canada. The Sportsnet broadcasts this entire post-season have just been a close-up Carey Price blowjob (which is legal to show on basic cable in Canada.)

Every Toronto goalie is #1 in the world until he loses a game too.

To be fair Carey Price has been unreal these playoffs so far

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Not that I can remember many, but these playoffs have some of the best chaos energy I can remember

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Probably only going to get crazier as these tight scheduled games continue. Stars and flames have two late starts back to back then a day off then an early afternoon start. It's like 3 games in 60 hours or something. Gonna get messy with injuries and guys having enough of each other.

Should be fun!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Dzus posted:

i gotta love the NHL bringing back backmasking, and if they were smart they'd post this to Twitter with it reversed and Wes McCauley saying "Paul is dead, miss him miss him miss him" or "Turn me on, dead man"

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

I loving hate how much the Avs commentators say "shot... MISSED THE NET!". It's not that loving exciting when a player shoots the puck inaccurately.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I was there too. Best sporting event I’ve ever been to, aside from how long it took to get on the DART after.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

I feel like Avs got lucky to win that one. A bunch of Coyotes chances hit the post or hit Grubauer in the chest when he was looking in the wrong direction. I'll take it, though. Hope Francous starts next game, cuz Grubauer looked flat out lost on a lot of shots, he didn't even see them and would get lucky that they missed or hit him in the chest

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Habs in 5 or 6

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

stab posted:

To be fair Carey Price has been unreal these playoffs so far

Yeah but they started before he even played a game.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

not getting swept! :toot:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

gently caress Philly but gently caress Montreal too :cry:

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
As a Flyers fan: Have to hope that was just a matter of one team having a fluke fantastic game and one team having a fluke awful game and both of those flukes happening at the same time on the same ice.

But also, Philly barely scraped by in game one. So.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I mean holy gently caress, I can typically be like "lmao Philly" but there is absolutely no excuse for that level of play

I mean god drat

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, it's great! Chaos reigns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Flyers are back, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003