Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

dialhforhero posted:

I always hated how she has been a little too vain as she aged with all her botox and plastic surgery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I was, as I assume you know, referencing a comment by Steve Earle about Townes and though I agree he's a close second to Dolly, perhaps even her equal, however sadly he died and is thus no longer in the world. Also a lot of his albums sufferered from over production though I don't think that was his fault.

Old Hank would have both of them beat.

But not by much.

kiimo posted:

He's dead?

He died in a car crash and they replaced him with an impersonator called William "Billy" Shears.

Content;

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 21:10 on Aug 14, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The Dolly we all love is as much of a manufactured lie as any other brand, but it sure is a sweet one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't read all that. What did she do?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

SimonSays posted:

I can't believe I'm hearing Paul Simon be slandered in public like this

Libeled, even. Using words you never heard in the Bible.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Solice Kirsk posted:

She's from the South.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Solice Kirsk posted:

its basically saying no one gets anywhere with just hard work and that everyones success is do in large part to a combination of luck and being born at the right time. So that her image of pulling herself up by the boot straps is a manufactured lie she got lucky meeting the right people and being born when her songs would make her popular. i disagree on the second point because you can always make music you dont particularly like yourself to make sure your music is sold. Ice T is a prime example of this the dudes a loving metal head and he made gangster rap because that poo poo sold.

They are also trying to blame her for the practices of the hfe company the runs dollywood.

snergle has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Aug 14, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ice Ts best stuff is his Crossover Trash work with Body Count. Their first album in 1992 is genuinely one of the best metal/punk albums of the 90s if you can get your hands on the uncensored version that still has Cop Killer on it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

snergle posted:

its basically saying no one gets anywhere with just hard work and that everyones success is do in large part to a combination of luck and being born at the right time. So that her image of pulling herself up by the boot straps is a manufactured lie she got lucky meeting the right people and being born when her songs would make her popular. i disagree on the second point because you can always make music you dont particularly like yourself to make sure your music is sold. Ice T is a prime example of this the dudes a loving metal head and he made gangster rap because that poo poo sold.

They are also trying to blame her for the practices of the hfe company the runs dollywood.

Also she's racist and white nationalist for reasons that I can't quite follow? It kinda goes off the rails towards the end.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Dolly Parton is the best songwriter in the whole world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you were Romeo

I was the scarlet letter

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

People got pissy that Dolly Parton wouldn't say that she is a feminist because, at the time, she thought it was equivalent to being a misandrist.
Some folks never let that go and it's kinda pathetic.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jose Valasquez posted:

Also she's racist and white nationalist for reasons that I can't quite follow? It kinda goes off the rails towards the end.

It's the same stick that people hit Taylor Swift with a few years ago, 'She smiles and takes the money of people with abhorrent views and lets them idolize her so she must believe the same things they do.'

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

None of the cast of Parks and Rec have denounced the Pinochet regime so I can only assume that they are all supporters of it. #cancelparksandwreck

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

snergle posted:

that must be a new law because i definitely bought booze between 2 and 6 from a 24hr winco. Im pretty sure i also bought it from a few different bodegas around 3. Wouldnt surprise me though if they are slowly limiting when you can buy booze what with all the mormons in norcal.

Since the Fifties, if not earlier.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Folks online sure do always be hankerin for a cancellin

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I like Trent Reznor because at least he was a sad drug addict, just like Johnny Cash, except the original version.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

YOU!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

doverhog posted:

I like Trent Reznor because at least he was a sad drug addict, just like Johnny Cash, except the original version.

Was?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like NIN but I still cringe hard when I hear lyrics like "I play a game, it's called insincerity"

the man just can't write em, bless his heart

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

He seems to be addicted to gettin' swole now.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

not gonna lie he looked pretty badass in twin peaks season 3

doverhog
May 31, 2013

NIN lyrics are very sincere, in an embarrassing way. That's why his best album is the Quake 1 soundtrack.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Face it: Pretty Hate Machine rocked.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

doverhog posted:

NIN lyrics are very sincere, in an embarrassing way. That's why his best album is the Quake 1 soundtrack.

This was my first NIN purchase. A shareware CD of Quake / Hexen that had the full soundtrack on it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

doverhog posted:

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

i haven't listened to this in years. was a pretty big deal when i was a miserable teen tho!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7CnLIXuEGU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Still like NIN, but mostly listen to instrumental tracks. You gotta take the lyrics with the context. Teen me also thought they were the height of genius.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

uber_stoat posted:

i haven't listened to this in years. was a pretty big deal when i was a miserable teen tho!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7CnLIXuEGU

Gotta love "lay my hands on heaven and the sun and the moon and the stars while the devil wants to gently caress me in the back of his car" and then the meow mix kittens on lsd start chanting in the background chorus.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It blows me away to this day that Trent Reznor created Pretty Hate Machine in a studio that he would clean and sweep up so the owner would allow him to fool around on the equipment.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Think this is my fave NIN track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LSDzlc7YU Nine inch Nails - Happiness in Slavery (Remix)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

doverhog posted:

Think this is my fave NIN track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LSDzlc7YU Nine inch Nails - Happiness in Slavery (Remix)

a girl my friend brought over once got sensory overload and left abruptly because we all got super stoned and listened to "gave up" hella loud

it just devolved into static and screaming and she got up and left without really saying anything lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDgt-hw8A40

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

doverhog posted:

Still like NIN, but mostly listen to instrumental tracks. You gotta take the lyrics with the context. Teen me also thought they were the height of genius.

Down In It was genius to teenager me first experimenting with hallucinogenics

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

for Reasons the sega master system and megadrive were massively successful in Brazil in a way that they were not in other places and in fact they still sell a ton of consoles even today. so sega stuff is culturally significant in Brazil to an extent that it is not elsewhere.

I don't know why they're just saying the word sega over and over though.

Perhaps it's an educational programme teaching them Italian (where "sega" means "wank")

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

and was released 31 years ago :gonk:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
David Lynch did something to Trent so he thinks acid jazz saxophone is real and good smdh

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

Down In It was genius to teenager me first experimenting with hallucinogenics

Now listen to the original, Dig It by Skinny Puppy.

kiimo posted:

It blows me away to this day that Trent Reznor created Pretty Hate Machine in a studio that he would clean and sweep up so the owner would allow him to fool around on the equipment.

That what most interns do in recording studios.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think he was actually a paid janitor, if I remember correctly. If the music thing hadn't worked out he would have had his family's HVAC empire to fall back on though.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

There's an NPR Fresh Air interview with him from a few years ago where he talks about how miserable he was, all the time, how he got help, and considers himself a "pretty happy person" now. It's actually a great interview, as he just dispels all of the mythos around the tortured artist equalling a great artist.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

A bunch of hardcore NIN fans were PISSED that he was happy too, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Elviscat posted:

A bunch of hardcore NIN fans were PISSED that he was happy too, lol.

Part of me is surprised that this is the case, but the rest of me is breathing a heavy, heavy sigh.