Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kiimo posted:

You know Paul McCartney is still alive right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdCH7ZewAfY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
hahahaha, what funny pictures

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I like this song.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Temporary Secretary is easily in the top 10 of songs written by McCartney. A large part of his Beatles era output is, as John "Wife beater" Lennon put it; 'loving grandma music'

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

FreudianSlippers posted:

'loving grandma music'

Isn't that all of the Beatles?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

This article is a slightly longer-form Super Mechagodzilla post

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

doverhog posted:

Isn't that all of the Beatles?

Grandma music by their era.

I guess Great-grandma music by today's standards.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

FreudianSlippers posted:

'grandma loving music'

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

null_pointer posted:

There's an NPR Fresh Air interview with him from a few years ago where he talks about how miserable he was, all the time, how he got help, and considers himself a "pretty happy person" now. It's actually a great interview, as he just dispels all of the mythos around the tortured artist equalling a great artist.

Elviscat posted:

A bunch of hardcore NIN fans were PISSED that he was happy too, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4H5h-oHvuo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elviscat posted:

A bunch of hardcore NIN fans were PISSED that he was happy too, lol.

And why is that?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Because "Hey guys, life is great! I couldn't be any happier!" Kinda runs counter to the message of angry nihilism in NIN's lyrics.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FreudianSlippers posted:

Temporary Secretary is easily in the top 10 of songs written by McCartney. A large part of his Beatles era output is, as John "Wife beater" Lennon put it; 'loving grandma music'

Wasn't skiffle a weird ironic throwback thing even then, like some guys starting up a barbershop combo or a pirate shanty band like my brother did?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

holy poo poo i thought the christmas song was the worst thing he ever wrote

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

NIGHT OF FIRE

https://twitter.com/leather_Riv/status/1293799556547657736

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i had this same link queued up, you bastard. how dare.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Flyinglemur posted:

This is a pretty good take on her relationship with Porter Wagner, summed up in 6 minutes by a drunk dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK40qogSdFI

these are great! the arsinoe one with lyric lewis is particularly good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Because "Hey guys, life is great! I couldn't be any happier!" Kinda runs counter to the message of angry nihilism in NIN's lyrics.

Ah, so he showed his rear end and revealed that he was a giant phony that doesn't actually hate life like everyone was assuming. I can get that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He definitely had issues, like he recorded Downward Spiral at the loving Sharon Tate house with a huge pile of heroin. He just sobered up and got therapy, and kept putting out music which isn't all that dark frankly.

edit: I like NIN enough, overall kind of lukewarm about them, but Trent puts on a really good show. There are a couple professionally filmed, soundboard-audio recordings of shows on Youtube from the last couple tours, check them out.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

He definitely had issues, like he recorded Downward Spiral at the loving Sharon Tate house with a huge pile of heroin. He just sobered up and got therapy, and kept putting out music which isn't all that dark frankly.

This isn't meant to sound snobbish or anything I just don't keep track of music at all.

Oh wow, I hadn't realized he actually had addiction problems, I thought he was just making music and it managed to get popular. I thought it was just people getting mad that the persona he had in his music wasn't actually what he was like in real life.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The worst thing Paul McCartney did was let Linda sing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb25jQ06J_4

picture tax:

edit: If we are talking about phenomenal songwriters, Don Walker .should at least get a mention

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Aug 15, 2020

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

FreudianSlippers posted:

Dolly Parton is the best songwriter in the whole world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Dolly Parton is the best songwriter in the whole world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

MizPiz posted:

We're talking about good songwriters, not middling.

You spelled midden wrong.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

:hmmyes:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

RareAcumen posted:

And why is that?

Turns out creating an identity around someone else is a bad idea if they change. Trent got buff, got clean and got married.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

that's not a picture of balls?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Whooping Crabs posted:

that's not a picture of balls?

pee is stored in the bulbs

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

pee is stored in the bulbs

:hmmyes:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lyrics are overrated

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Snowy posted:

Lyrics are overrated

Agreed

https://twitter.com/shempiii/status/1121980954778558464

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Aleph Null posted:

He seems to be addicted to gettin' swole now.

That and making kids, 5 of them in a decade. Papa Trent Reznor.

Also, nobody linked to the best early NIN song :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk5Ki3qv-Dk

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

RareAcumen posted:

This isn't meant to sound snobbish or anything I just don't keep track of music at all.

Oh wow, I hadn't realized he actually had addiction problems, I thought he was just making music and it managed to get popular. I thought it was just people getting mad that the persona he had in his music wasn't actually what he was like in real life.

Downward Spiral is about his substance abuse.
He wrote that album with "the only way out is suicide" as an ending. Any "fan" that isn't happy he didn't blow his brains out is pathetic.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Those dudes don't look like Prince.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1294383567452209152?s=20

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Downward Spiral is about his substance abuse.
He wrote that album with "the only way out is suicide" as an ending. Any "fan" that isn't happy he didn't blow his brains out is pathetic.

Oh wow, yikes. That gives it a lot more context now, yeah gently caress those guys. With titles like that I can see these people being 'fans' of his music that immediately turn around and stab him in the back. Weird, I was more expecting this kind of reaction from gamers and sports fans. Like Andrew Luck retiring because eventually the damage he's sustained was just getting to be too much.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/aug/24/andrew-luck-retires-indianapolis-colts-quarterback

I'm sorry, that wasn't funny at all.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sorry, that wasn't funny at all.

“Hmmm... Yes... I could jerk off to this”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The funny thing about English is how you can say someone is the best ‘songwriter’ and it be true, and then say someone else is the best songwriter and, in a different context of ‘best’, also be true.