Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
At the other end of the spectrum, I went backpacking with a guy who carried a .357 handgun “as bear protection”. No idea whether it would stop a bear with anything less than a direct hit, but the weight alone would’ve been enough to make me beg for the bear to take me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

zedprime posted:

Anybody decrying the human killing potential of a 22 is probably the sort of person really worried about their kills per hour in a "zombie" apocalypse.

MizPiz posted:

Have fun pistol whipping a wolf to death

Checks out.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

At the other end of the spectrum, I went backpacking with a guy who carried a .357 handgun “as bear protection”. No idea whether it would stop a bear with anything less than a direct hit, but the weight alone would’ve been enough to make me beg for the bear to take me

Are you perhaps the protagonist in an Award-Winning Canadian novel from 1976?

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

Thaddius the Large posted:

.357s are fairly powerful but i've heard they have a habit of tunneling underneath skin against a bear's skull. S&W released a true 50 caliber handgun earlier this decade whose only valid purpose is protection against grizzlies

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

A friend of mine told a story about someone fooling around with a 22 rifle when he was at a high school party. Kid sat the gun on his lap and it fired into the neck of the kid next to him. Paralyzed him for life.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hardon Crime posted:

.357s are fairly powerful but i've heard they have a habit of tunneling underneath skin against a bear's skull. S&W released a true 50 caliber handgun earlier this decade whose only valid purpose is protection against grizzlies

Theres a goon-made Fallout New Vegas mod called The Armory, and one of my favorite guns is a .50cal (Anti Materiel Rifle version) break action one shot pistol called The Armbreaker. It actually does damage to your arm when you fire it.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
I'd also like to point out that .22 isn't specific enough to determine exactly how powerful the round is. technically 5.56nato falls within the .22 caliber dimensions

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I have some concerns about the structural integrity of a break action .50 cal.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

Volcott posted:

thats just an elephant gun from ~1880

(probably bigger than 50 cal too!)

e: they were also typically produced for very wealthy people so old school full gauge elephant rifles are some of the rarest, most beautiful and most valuable guns around

Hardon Crime has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Aug 16, 2020

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Hardon Crime posted:

Call me back when there's a pistol that fires anti-material rounds

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Volcott posted:

Just make it really big and you're good.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Hardon Crime posted:

The 500? I think that was in the aughts and holy poo poo is that fucker L O U D

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hardon Crime posted:

These are extremely fun to shoot

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Here's the IRL version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkOXbfkosKU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MizPiz posted:

PYF Funny Pictures: Have fun pistol whipping a wolf to death

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

oh yeah it was 2003

well thank god time doesn't exist

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
2 pages of loving gun chat.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

2 pages of loving gun chat.

Please do not gently caress the guns. It's bad for them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Please don't spread disinformation

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's actually been no documented cases where a .22 caliber weapon has killed a grown human. It's just a myth that TV/film likes to spin. They're like wolf attacks, there's never been a documented fatal wolf attack on a human being since the 1600's.

I'm surprised RFK assassination conspiracy theories aren't more popular. He had an entire 22 revolver unloaded into him at point blank range and it was still only a 1 in a million shot that entered directly into his earhole that ended up doing any serious damage to him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Atticus_1354 posted:

That's a ray gun, you can't convince me otherwise.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Atticus_1354 posted:

Pretty sure that's Megatron.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Bismuth posted:

Veterans day is now sanitation workers day

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's actually been no documented cases where a .22 caliber weapon has killed a grown human. It's just a myth that TV/film likes to spin. They're like wolf attacks, there's never been a documented fatal wolf attack on a human being since the 1600's.

Lol, nope, 22LR is plenty deadly. Off the top of my head, Brenda Spencer killed 2 grown men with a Ruger 10/22:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Elementary_School_shooting_(San_Diego)

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
There's been plenty of research using artificial substances that simulate bone and tissue and they show that at point blank range any pistol can easily penetrate your average skull with .22 LR and from a good rifle, it can not only hit but does serious damage to a turkey-sized object at 50 meters.

I've personally recreated that shot at 100 meters on a still day on the sears-roebuck rifle I inherited from my grandfather

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

To test this theory, i will equip a .22 pistol and fight a wolf.

No you fool, you need to be covered in wolf bait and trying to kill another human, killing a wolf with a .22 pistol won't prove anything!

Knormal posted:

Pretty sure that's Megatron.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Stocky Manhood posted:

Lol, nope, 22LR is plenty deadly. Off the top of my head, Brenda Spencer killed 2 grown men with a Ruger 10/22:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Elementary_School_shooting_(San_Diego)

The quote you're replying to is trying to create a firearms version of "sharks are smooth" where a bunch of people pretend to believe an easily verified falsehood and try to bait people into correcting it because that's apparently where we're at as far as forums humor.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Yeah it sounds like a bomb going off. My brother and his friends were firing one off the other week, when I was trying to sleep. It was $70 for 12 shots

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MotU posted:

Sanitation workers deserve to dress up in full military-esque regalia, they're the real troops

The thin brown line...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Facebook Aunt posted:

buddy, they won't even let me &c

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The quote you're replying to is trying to create a firearms version of "sharks are smooth" where a bunch of people pretend to believe an easily verified falsehood and try to bait people into correcting it because that's apparently where we're at as far as forums humor.

Can you shoot a shark with a 22, or are they too smooth?

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Facebook Aunt posted:

Only with a wadcutter bullet, and only if you hit exactly 90 degrees to the surface of the shark's skin. Since most bullets are pointed, and sharks are curved and smooth, any deviation from a perpendicular hit just slides off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

The bullet or the shark?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Fister Roboto posted:

The bullet or the shark?

Or bullet sharks?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Shark bullets :colbert:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

On the subject of break action fun - I inherited a break action 12 gauge pistol. It's a handmade relic made by the Philippino resistance during WW II. It looks like a .45.

There is no way in hell I would ever put a shell in that thing, much less pull the trigger. It's sitting in a display case with a letter from the Philippine military.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Facebook Aunt posted:

You just need lube. It's called Gun Oil.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

You just need lube. It's called Gun Oil.

Gun oil is what I apply to my arms before bodybuilding shows.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ookiimarukochan posted:

Perhaps it's an educational programme teaching them Italian (where "sega" means "wank")

'Cega' is Portuguese for 'blind'. The old lady in the sunglasses in the clip is blind and the rest of the family is freaking out about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Fister Roboto posted:

Shark bullets :colbert: