Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This just hit my timeline and is a great read.

https://twitter.com/patagonia/status/1293607855518617602

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I did a Wednesday night/friday night and then SAT/SUN with Colorado Mountain School like 5 years ago. It was good and I didn't have to take a day off work. I have done a rescue course with APEX out of Avon and they were also good.

I agree go later in the year (but also if you want to get out there you can risk going earlier). I did a late December class and I would say we just had enough snow. It would have been more interesting later in the season though.

Dangerllama posted:

I liked Colorado Mountain School, but that was about eleven or so years ago. YMMV, but I believe they’re still doing strong work. I stayed in Estes and we drove into the park for field work.

One other thing worth mentioning, I found it helpful to take the course mid-season. A decent snowpack made for a better experience when digging pits and, of course, getting to do some skiing at the end of the class.

Thanks for the input. Meant Colorado Mountain School in my last post. Appreciate the advice about timing also, was thinking of doing it pretty early but was wondering about amount of snow. I'll at a minimum avoid any November / early December courses.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

highme posted:

This just hit my timeline and is a great read.

https://twitter.com/patagonia/status/1293607855518617602

Yes

E: I dunno if you can find the mountainfilm documentaries but there’s a whole movie about this

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 13, 2020

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It might have been a fever dream but has anyone else heard rumours of Union making new bindings that are side entry?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Side entry? Like back side? Like Flow?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

We were talking about Canadian immigration a while back. Well my buddy and his wife got denied immigration by BC. Something about his business plan not being viable and pointing to his successful american business as the reason, which is a total :psyduck: They are probably looking elsewhere now despite having a house and toys up there (most likely Montana/Idaho/Washington). He is already planning on buying a sled in Washington and keeping it at my brothers for this winter since he doesn't think the border will reopen to people from the US.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

well in their defense, america is infested with successful american businesspeople and look where it got us

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I just heard that the wastewater treatment plant here estimated there were 27,000 people here in the last week of July. For reference, there are about 3,000 residents and our biggest music festival draws about 14,000 people.

Holy gently caress.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So, that leads me to believe my plan to use up a years worth of vacation to squirrel myself away in a mountain town for a month this Winter is the same plan wealthy folks have, and maybe not a great idea after all.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

drat that is crazy.

What do the numbers look like around Christmas/New Year's?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Update--94---COVID-19-Emergency---City-of-Big-Bear-Lake.html?soid=1133972934733&aid=0BMQBC1cX9k

The Big Bear community update ruffled a bunch of feathers asking second home owners who are currently enjoying "their" community to bring their own groceries and pissed off said second-home owners (they've since re-worded it) considering the home owners pay taxes and own their houses. They say that supplies are low but let's be honest they just don't want all the visitors in their grocery stores creating lines.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So, that leads me to believe my plan to use up a years worth of vacation to squirrel myself away in a mountain town for a month this Winter is the same plan wealthy folks have, and maybe not a great idea after all.

Oh yeah. I’m up in Winter Park for the rest of the month and it’s already busy up here, but predictions are that a shitload of wealthy people are selling their places in Denver and buying up all the property up here. It’s already happening from what I hear. Sadly, you rich fuckers from the rest of the country won’t stop moving to Denver, so prices keep going up.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Biohazard posted:

Oh yeah. I’m up in Winter Park for the rest of the month and it’s already busy up here, but predictions are that a shitload of wealthy people are selling their places in Denver and buying up all the property up here. It’s already happening from what I hear. Sadly, you rich fuckers from the rest of the country won’t stop moving to Denver, so prices keep going up.

Maybe but also Denver had the most closing and the highest average price ever last month.

kiimo posted:

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Update--94---COVID-19-Emergency---City-of-Big-Bear-Lake.html?soid=1133972934733&aid=0BMQBC1cX9k

The Big Bear community update ruffled a bunch of feathers asking second home owners who are currently enjoying "their" community to bring their own groceries and pissed off said second-home owners (they've since re-worded it) considering the home owners pay taxes and own their houses. They say that supplies are low but let's be honest they just don't want all the visitors in their grocery stores creating lines.

I get pretty torn by stuff like this, especially as a second home owner in a mountain town. When COViD hit we stayed in Denver and locked down. Now we spend 3 days in Dillon and 4 days in Denver. I didn't mind staying in Denver when asked but at some point I am paying to be there.

The dog we adopted has heartworm and can't run around for the next 6 months or longer. He is going to miss a lot of ski season. I am already way sad for him. He insanely loves snow and being in the BC.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

spwrozek posted:

drat that is crazy.

What do the numbers look like around Christmas/New Year's?

About like Bluegrass during normal years, 14k to 16k people. I shudder to think what it’s gonna look like this ski season but I’m thinking it’s a good year to buy a snowmobile.

If you meant how are reservations looking for this year, we’ve seen our booking window drop from like 2-3 months to 5-14 days before arrival. People are waiting to book until the last minute so the numbers are skewed.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 15, 2020

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I'm glad I have a bc setup and I'm also glad my business does better the more families with kids are nearby

I'm pretty much in gently caress 2020 mode, so if something is good, I'm just going to focus on that instead of the 16000+ acre fire burning nearby

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We were considering renting a house in Tahoe for the week after Labor Day. My fiancee needs to do some stuff in SF and her parents live in Sacramento so we want to visit (as distanced as possible) but also be able to work from cabin and do some hiking to justify the drive time from LA. It seems everyone else in the bay area has this idea though, prices are ludicrous for that week and the subreddit is complaining that every trailhead is packed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So a few years ago our mayor got slammed for complaining about brown-baggers coming up from the city.

Anyway, that's basically all we have now, and I owe all the tourists from other parts of Canada and international destinations an apology. I always thought you were the ones making a mess and being awful. It turns out it's actually the locals, the people from BC who were the worst the whole time, because this year is awful for literring, garbage, and just general gross tourist behaviour.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I went for a picnic in Kootenay NP earlier this week and in the off the beaten path place we set up, behind the next tree I found where some previous visitor decided to have a poo poo. No hole dug, heaven forbid bringing a portable camp toilet, just paper littering everywhere.

I hate people

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Moey posted:

Side entry? Like back side? Like Flow?

May have been a joke post on an Instagram, but it said "n o this isn't unions new side entry bindings"

I imagine to try and compete with burton step in set up

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Bilirubin posted:

I went for a picnic in Kootenay NP earlier this week and in the off the beaten path place we set up, behind the next tree I found where some previous visitor decided to have a poo poo. No hole dug, heaven forbid bringing a portable camp toilet, just paper littering everywhere.

I hate people

Wife and I just did six days on isle Royale, which is only accessible right now by private boat or seaplane - 48 hikers per day, max. Probably the only national park not full of poo poo and piss and idiots right now and it was goddamn wonderful.

Back on the mainland there’s as many people here as 4th of July, even midweek, and we’ve had an epidemic of stolen goods for the first time in like 8 years. Looking forward to shoulder season no joke. Maybe we’ll get lucky and the colors will be poo poo this fall and all the tourists and snowbirds will leave early.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

I'm just going to focus on that instead of the 16000+ acre fire burning nearby

Focusing on this (and the new one by Henderson Mill) is my life right now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

We have had some decent snowfall in aus over the last two weeks. Had about 10cm of fresh stuff today to get stuck into this morning and finally getting the hang of riding in powder on easy mode (not so deep you can't walk out)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Just pick a really remote one.

I'm probably doing one more winter back in CO though which is sort of mixed news for me but hey it's better than tryign to scramble for new work right now.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any thread favourite glove recommendations? My trusty 10+ year old Spyder gloves are starting to fall apart.

These would be winter gloves (I’ve got good spring gloves) for use somewhere that doesn’t get super cold (New Zealand). Hard wearing is preferred.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I've been wearing Candygrind's "CG" gloves for a while, with a good nikwax treatment they're pretty durable for years. https://cghabitats.com/collections/gloves-mittens

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I've given up on fancy gloves and gone to heavily SnoSeal treated Kinco gloves. Most gloves are fine for casual use and some of the pricier gloves like Hestras are really good but for cheap hard wearing gloves for use all day the Kincos are a great value.

EDIT: I especially like them if you're going to be working outside like if you need to set courses or drag around netting and gates or otherwise need to deal with stuff that will beat the poo poo out of gloves. I started using them because my non-aK Burtons weren't doing well all day and a pretty significant number of ski patrollers and other mountain workers use Kincos.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 16, 2020

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I love Hestras but Kincos do the job just fine. I have like 4 pairs and use them for everything during winter, including skiing.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Hestras are great but at USD $160+ for the nicer Hestras vs $20-$30 for some Kincos, it's a big premium for that quality. I actually didn't like my Kincos that much because of the poor manual dexterity though until I got them really broken in.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A good in-between is the Flylow gloves that are basically their version of kincos. $40 for the all leather ones I think, and less for the ones with cloth on the back of the hand

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Pretty sure the Flylow ones are just rebranded Kincos, I've had both. You pay about $20 extra for a Flylow logo and a Snoseal treatment.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Well I gotta match my pants and jacket

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Red_Fred posted:

Are there any thread favourite glove recommendations? My trusty 10+ year old Spyder gloves are starting to fall apart.
I'm (and my family) are huge fans of hestra gloves, getting a pair of five finger gloves for most days and then mittens / 3 finger gloves for the more brutal days we get in the NE. Helps one of our local shops at the mountain will do a big hestra sale every number of years. Easily get a bunch of seasons out of them with proper care and normal use.

Yuns posted:

EDIT: I especially like them if you're going to be working outside like if you need to set courses or drag around netting and gates or otherwise need to deal with stuff that will beat the poo poo out of gloves. I started using them because my non-aK Burtons weren't doing well all day and a pretty significant number of ski patrollers and other mountain workers use Kincos.
Yup, almost all of the paid patrollers at my mountain swear by kincos. I'm weird and am a fan of truck gloves. However, I would note that if you're not doing work on the mountain (be it setting up courses or whatever), then I would probably recommend getting a higher quality glove and have comfier hands.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If it is above 15F and dry I wear these exact gloves and love them: https://smile.amazon.com/HEAD-Multi...97550366&sr=8-7

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This conversation reminds me I need spring glove recommendations actually.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I wear leather hestras when it's cold and Rad pipe gloves when it's not.

I used to have Pow leather gloves that I preferred but couldn't find a style I liked when I went shopping to replace them after their snot-wipe pad on the thumb perished so ended up with the hestras.

Hestra wax is poo poo compared to nikwax though. Don't buy it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m a big fan of my level gloves but that’s also in part because their plastic protection is better than most other glove manufacturers, but that’s not something most people have to consider.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Red_Fred posted:

These would be winter gloves (I’ve got good spring gloves) for use somewhere that doesn’t get super cold (New Zealand). Hard wearing is preferred.

Buy sherpa lined or thinsulate work gloves and treat them and call it good.

bawfuls posted:

This conversation reminds me I need spring glove recommendations actually.

Buy an unlined work glove.

https://www.amazon.com/Illinois-Glo...7586063&sr=8-13

Like this to me is an ideal spring glove.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Laserface posted:

I wear leather hestras when it's cold and Rad pipe gloves when it's not.

I used to have Pow leather gloves that I preferred but couldn't find a style I liked when I went shopping to replace them after their snot-wipe pad on the thumb perished so ended up with the hestras.

Hestra wax is poo poo compared to nikwax though. Don't buy it.

I agree that Hestra's wax does not seem to actually work that well. I do like Hestra's but I got my partner a pair of free the powder gloves last year and I honestly can't tell the difference and they were half the price (plus all of last years are on sale for another $20 off, pretty good deal a $60 if they have your size still).

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If it is above 15F and dry I wear these exact gloves and love them: https://smile.amazon.com/HEAD-Multi...97550366&sr=8-7

Man you must have some warm rear end hands.

Master_Odin posted:

I'm weird and am a fan of truck gloves. However, I would note that if you're not doing work on the mountain (be it setting up courses or whatever), then I would probably recommend getting a higher quality glove and have comfier hands.

These look really nice, especially for the price.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 16, 2020

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I've heard really good things about Joka gloves, though I don't own a pair myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Varg posted:

I've been wearing Candygrind's "CG" gloves for a while, with a good nikwax treatment they're pretty durable for years. https://cghabitats.com/collections/gloves-mittens

I have a buddy who swears by CandyGrind. Thinking about giving these a whirl for mid (cold) winter.

https://cghabitats.com/collections/gloves-mittens/products/game-changer-mitten-sz