Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

I still have to balance-test them all, I've made a ton of mods for myself (I made this because my last character just, did not have a very difficult time once I hit level 20) but this is the first one I've ever considered releasing and I want to do this Right. Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Great work! PM me the file ty
Do you know about cleaning esp files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Great work! PM me the file ty
Do you know about cleaning esp files

Sending a PM with the .esp WIP yes. I still need to do a bunch of balance work on it, it's hard for me to get a sense of what's a reasonable encounter level with a test-character, and the only "natural" character I have is a level 30 Telvanni wizard.

I've been keeping an eye on things with EnchantedEditor and I gave it a run through TES3cmd. It--should be??--clean. I haven't touched any cells to do my best to keep it compatible, and any new items and spell effects have the mdmd_ prefix (tentatively calling it more deadly morrowind denizens because i couldn't find any other mod that used mdmd abbreviation and i didn't want to risk duplicating ids). I don't actually know how compatibility will work with certain mods. I'm going to do a few tes3merge passes and see what load order works best with what of the mods I use? I'm used to cobbling stuff together for my own duct-taped home-use purposes only up until this point I guess but I've spent the past like 2 days staring at TES editor spreadsheets so I'm taking a breather for now.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

...What are we supposed to be noticing here? It looks like your standard Dwemer ruins floor.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
these loss memes, man

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

hooah posted:

...What are we supposed to be noticing here? It looks like your standard Dwemer ruins floor.

Bed frame
2 dwemer ashes in bed
Dwemer tube by ashes
Flask of dwemer oil on the night stand

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeeaaaahhhh, that seems like a stretch to me. But to each their own, I guess.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I always thought that was a hilarious dildo joke

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Lesbimer

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

FlocksOfMice posted:

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Can Umbra be given levitate, so that he can follow a player up onto the nearby rocks?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can Umbra be given levitate, so that he can follow a player up onto the nearby rocks?

Umbra has an awesome mod dedicated to him already (by melchior dahrk) that gives him a bow

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah there's no way I can match MelchiorDahrk's Umbra mod so he's being left completely alone.

Under Meyers-Briggs Testicle's advice I've taken out all the Tribunal-esque buff-abilities and focused on making enemies more individualized and unique instead, with enchantments and spell-lists that are relevant to their identity (Molag Bal cultists getting Paralyze and Daedroth combos, Malacath cultists getting curses). Instead of lolsuperbuffs I'm aiming more to give enemies fights that are better than "Cast Burden 3 times then die" or "Hit you with Iron Sword."

I also went kind of insane over the weekend and started tweaking nearly every Daedric shrine inhabitant in Vvardenfell. I'm going to have modular versions of this so there'll be an .esp that just touches boss fights (artifact owners, faction quest bosses), too. But, there will be a version to make Daedric Shrines and Dunmer Strongholds--places that are singular, highly visible landmarks that people warn you to be wary of--into more challenging, exciting mid-level content. (6th House strongholds are left alone since the 6th House Rebalance is the gold standard that inspired this mod anyway)

I've given nearly every Daedric shrine inhabitant either a custom spell-list reflecting the nature of their god, or a weapon with a minor enchantment reflecting same. Few weirdly underleveled cultists have been brought up to mid-level. Some of the weaker cultists got vanilla enchanted weapons, or at least an offensive scroll. None of it is especially overpowered, and the powerful stuff's been limited by harsh Charge/Cost ratios. I'm aiming for "unique, memorable" over "argh super hard mode kaizo edit."

I have a Malacath knight whose sword lays a long-lasting all-Attribute Drain curse on the target in the first hit, then needs a long-rear end time or a bunch of soulgems to recharge. A Mehrunes Dagon knight has a Steel Axe that does 1 damage per hit, but with an enchantment that deals 20 damage (Steel Axe's default max) to everything within 10 feet to represent it striking with a thousand blades of destruction. Cultists near Telvanni hotspots have stolen Telvanni-enchanted weapons. One cultist near Holamayan has a stolen sword with an Azura theme to it. A cultist in Vivec has a smattering of damaged, stolen Ordinator armor. Little things to take into account their location and identity, to make individual shrines feel less same-y and forgettable.

You will not believe how many Malacath orcs Bethesda forgot to give weapons to. I cannot believe how many enemy mages had no actual combat spells whatsoever. Part of it is just fixing stuff like that.

I'm going to split it into modules, though, for people who don't want all the stuff. I'm up to 194 NPCs edited, 80 unique enchantments created, and 115 new NPC-only spells, to create variety, faction identity, and proper challenge.

because seriously half the spellcasters ive worked on have had weakness to X element and no X element damage spells smdh

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 17, 2020

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Does the Morrowind Patch for Purists allow you to do all the classic exploits like stacking Fortify Intelligence potions and the like? I've never actually messed around with that stuff in all my years of playing. I kinda want to do a fairly minimally modded run, mostly bugfixes and essentials like Graphic Herbalism.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

Does the Morrowind Patch for Purists allow you to do all the classic exploits like stacking Fortify Intelligence potions and the like? I've never actually messed around with that stuff in all my years of playing. I kinda want to do a fairly minimally modded run, mostly bugfixes and essentials like Graphic Herbalism.

Yes

The mod that fixes exploits is morrowind anti-cheese

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

flock of mice: "i'm working on a complete npc overhaul and have a pastebin of justifications and changes spanning 200 npcs"
me: https://streamable.com/9vxdoa

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

FlocksOfMice posted:

Yeah there's no way I can match MelchiorDahrk's Umbra mod so he's being left completely alone.

Under Meyers-Briggs Testicle's advice I've taken out all the Tribunal-esque buff-abilities and focused on making enemies more individualized and unique instead, with enchantments and spell-lists that are relevant to their identity (Molag Bal cultists getting Paralyze and Daedroth combos, Malacath cultists getting curses). Instead of lolsuperbuffs I'm aiming more to give enemies fights that are better than "Cast Burden 3 times then die" or "Hit you with Iron Sword."

I also went kind of insane over the weekend and started tweaking nearly every Daedric shrine inhabitant in Vvardenfell. I'm going to have modular versions of this so there'll be an .esp that just touches boss fights (artifact owners, faction quest bosses), too. But, there will be a version to make Daedric Shrines and Dunmer Strongholds--places that are singular, highly visible landmarks that people warn you to be wary of--into more challenging, exciting mid-level content. (6th House strongholds are left alone since the 6th House Rebalance is the gold standard that inspired this mod anyway)

I've given nearly every Daedric shrine inhabitant either a custom spell-list reflecting the nature of their god, or a weapon with a minor enchantment reflecting same. Few weirdly underleveled cultists have been brought up to mid-level. Some of the weaker cultists got vanilla enchanted weapons, or at least an offensive scroll. None of it is especially overpowered, and the powerful stuff's been limited by harsh Charge/Cost ratios. I'm aiming for "unique, memorable" over "argh super hard mode kaizo edit."

I have a Malacath knight whose sword lays a long-lasting all-Attribute Drain curse on the target in the first hit, then needs a long-rear end time or a bunch of soulgems to recharge. A Mehrunes Dagon knight has a Steel Axe that does 1 damage per hit, but with an enchantment that deals 20 damage (Steel Axe's default max) to everything within 10 feet to represent it striking with a thousand blades of destruction. Cultists near Telvanni hotspots have stolen Telvanni-enchanted weapons. One cultist near Holamayan has a stolen sword with an Azura theme to it. A cultist in Vivec has a smattering of damaged, stolen Ordinator armor. Little things to take into account their location and identity, to make individual shrines feel less same-y and forgettable.

You will not believe how many Malacath orcs Bethesda forgot to give weapons to. I cannot believe how many enemy mages had no actual combat spells whatsoever. Part of it is just fixing stuff like that.

I'm going to split it into modules, though, for people who don't want all the stuff. I'm up to 194 NPCs edited, 80 unique enchantments created, and 115 new NPC-only spells, to create variety, faction identity, and proper challenge.

because seriously half the spellcasters ive worked on have had weakness to X element and no X element damage spells smdh

this is awesome

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

flock of mice: "i'm working on a complete npc overhaul and have a pastebin of justifications and changes spanning 200 npcs"

Please tell me this works with the Cliff Racers lift and carry mod.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm still tweaking it before release I'm not 100% on the balance of it and some NPCs aren't casting the spells I want still but it's nearing the finish line. Also apparently the read-me explaining all the NPC changes I made adds up to 15,000 words. I think I've gone insane.

i think that's how the inside of my brain feels atm tbh

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

I'm the cliff racer on the right

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
https://twitter.com/cybreco/status/1297366663994568704?s=19

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

FlocksOfMice posted:

I'm still tweaking it before release I'm not 100% on the balance of it and some NPCs aren't casting the spells I want still but it's nearing the finish line. Also apparently the read-me explaining all the NPC changes I made adds up to 15,000 words. I think I've gone insane.

that's just the CHIM building up, keep going

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ask an outlander to retrieve my booty, call that Fargoth's ring

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48745

After spending the past two days basically just testing and changing the difficulty and making sure no one spawns naked I've hit the point where I'm just going to keep changing the numbers back and forth forever so whatever. It is UP.

Some of the bosses might be too strong, maybe. Gothren and Trebonius are nasty unless they're silenced, but I've been testing using a fake character with artificial stats and resources, so an actual long-lived character might have a bunch more options saved up to use against them. After a month of messing with it I'm running out of steam though.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 24, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So there’s the new sheath for Vivec’s Spear, word!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There's a joke here somewhere about the O being the centre/Tower and I dunno maybe the bum wrinkles are the Spokes? I can't quite formulate it. Do it yourselves

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

FlocksOfMice posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/48745

After spending the past two days basically just testing and changing the difficulty and making sure no one spawns naked I've hit the point where I'm just going to keep changing the numbers back and forth forever so whatever. It is UP.

Some of the bosses might be too strong, maybe. Gothren and Trebonius are nasty unless they're silenced, but I've been testing using a fake character with artificial stats and resources, so an actual long-lived character might have a bunch more options saved up to use against them. After a month of messing with it I'm running out of steam though.

good poo poo OP

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
So I haven't touched scripting in really in over a decade but I have an itch of an idea and I don't honestly know how reasonable it is.

You can use dialogue to cause a script to fire, right? And activators with scripts attached can be enabled/disabled by the scripts, like with strongholds, right? And even doors can be toggled, like stronghold doors.

So it should be, possible? to make a boat-house with a captain NPC (or an interactable object) who can "sail" the boat to different ports, by having their dialogue run a script that disables all the ships except the one in the destination port, and then disable nested doors so the doors all lead outside to the right ship? But all the doors would lead inside to the same interior? And on the next destination, it disables all the guys again, and enables the destination ship and its doors?

Has anyone fooled with morrowind's scripting functions enough to know if this is a pipedream or is this do-able? Before I spend a week fussing with it and find out I'm asking the impossible from it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

FlocksOfMice posted:

So I haven't touched scripting in really in over a decade but I have an itch of an idea and I don't honestly know how reasonable it is.

You can use dialogue to cause a script to fire, right? And activators with scripts attached can be enabled/disabled by the scripts, like with strongholds, right? And even doors can be toggled, like stronghold doors.

So it should be, possible? to make a boat-house with a captain NPC (or an interactable object) who can "sail" the boat to different ports, by having their dialogue run a script that disables all the ships except the one in the destination port, and then disable nested doors so the doors all lead outside to the right ship? But all the doors would lead inside to the same interior? And on the next destination, it disables all the guys again, and enables the destination ship and its doors?

Has anyone fooled with morrowind's scripting functions enough to know if this is a pipedream or is this do-able? Before I spend a week fussing with it and find out I'm asking the impossible from it.

That’s absolutely doable. See for example Private Mobile Base for an older mod I used to use that lets you teleport a giant fuckoff base to every city in Morrowind.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Cantorsdust posted:

That’s absolutely doable. See for example Private Mobile Base for an older mod I used to use that lets you teleport a giant fuckoff base to every city in Morrowind.

DANG ok I been looking for a mod that did something like this to use as an example and came up short. Awesome let's see if I can put something together faster than the headache scripting usually gives me makes me die forever irl.

oh shoot this mod kept the same door and just had a script on the door that changed where it teleported you based on what the location variable was. wild.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 26, 2020

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ah ive been beaten to it

another mod that uses it is Dwemeri Secret which (spoilers) gives you a ufo you can fly around

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-48-7142

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Cantorsdust posted:

Ok that owns

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Wow this is a lot more elegant than I had been thinking, the private base one actually physically moves the exterior to a new location. This is very intimidating and I'm not sure I can pull it off but I do very much want to live in a house boat since I'm tired of having to choose which city to live in as a character so maybe someday my mucking about with this will bear fruit.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The way you originally described is just as valid a method tbh dont sweat it. Morrowind scripting isnt as complex as the other games and if you can grasp the concept of conditionals and loops you've seen everything there is

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Whorelord posted:

Ok that owns

My favorite part about it IIRC was that it had a huge museum section, and I'm all about collecting and displaying my loot.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Okay, so I got some progress on this. The pilot NPC in the ship's cabin has a list of ports you can go to. In the finished version there'll be a fade and time pass, but right now you just pick "let's go here" and bam! The previous location is disabled and the new location is enabled.

It works perfectly, the ship "changes place" (all versions but the desired destination disable, desired location enables). But here's where I hit a problem.

You load faster than the newly enabled object does.

Using layered doors in the interior, you get dumped into the ocean, and then the ship loads on top of you a half-moment later.

Using a scripted door that uses the Player->PositionCell command, you... still end up dumped into the ocean.

Once you've exited, you can enter/exit and it works fine, but on the first exit out of the ship you take a bath because the ship's newfound enabled status doesn't catch up as fast as the player does. It isn't like the enable script fires too late, the NPC's dialogue changes a global which instantly changes which ship exterior and door destination is active, and THEN you can go through the door.

I think the other mod using objectname->Position was a matter of necessity, but I'm not, sure? Anyone who's messed with the coding know a way to make this work or is it just not doable this way?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Yeah morrowind is weird, what's happening is you exit the cell and it sets you to the closest ground (which is water), then it enables the model. This all happens in one frame lol. I'm not at my computer to confirm the behavior but there are a few ways around that.

-move the model with positioncell, which works guaranteed. You can just copy paste the position from your disabled models into the script and leave them there as a shortcut to knowing where they are
-I think you can get away with an invisible activator platform that safely drops the player onto the boat but this might not be in the vanilla datafiles
-I dont think you can enable before hitting the cell. Enabling iirc sets a flag on activators to enable them as soon as the cell is loaded, but player placement from doors triggers first (again, I *think* this is the case but you can confirm by attempting the same thing but enabling the boat model before you hit the door. This would be easiest)

As always ensure you have references persist checked on your activators/models

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Yeah morrowind is weird, what's happening is you exit the cell and it sets you to the closest ground (which is water), then it enables the model. This all happens in one frame lol. I'm not at my computer to confirm the behavior but there are a few ways around that.

-move the model with positioncell, which works guaranteed. You can just copy paste the position from your disabled models into the script and leave them there as a shortcut to knowing where they are
-I think you can get away with an invisible activator platform that safely drops the player onto the boat but this might not be in the vanilla datafiles
-I dont think you can enable before hitting the cell. Enabling iirc sets a flag on activators to enable them as soon as the cell is loaded, but player placement from doors triggers first (again, I *think* this is the case but you can confirm by attempting the same thing but enabling the boat model before you hit the door. This would be easiest)

As always ensure you have references persist checked on your activators/models

Oh worm, positioncell deffo works? Tomorrow I'm gonna scrap this method and start over with the positioncell then. Sucks to redo the work, but half the work was relearning scripting in the first place so it shouldn't be too bad. (the other half of the work was trying to figure out why something wasn't working and then finding out it was because a script wasn't attached to an activator, because lol)

I did already do a cheaty version where I put an invisible activator so you just, step out onto the "deck", but the problem with that is I'm not really sure how to clean that up neatly after it serves its purpose and if it just sits there there's like... okay, it's only a few feet wide sheet, but it's still an invisible collision object in the middle of the air which I don't want to leave hanging around that just seems sloppy. Just gonna move the ship and its pieces to match dummy versions of it then delete the dummies.

Then I can get to the fun stuff of decorating and giving the pilot NPC an excessive amount of dialogue.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
One interesting note is that physics get enabled after the cell loads. It's a very short time period, but enough to cause some interesting effects. We exploit that a lot in speedruns to get out-of-bounds and move places faster.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

I did already do a cheaty version where I put an invisible activator so you just, step out onto the "deck", but the problem with that is I'm not really sure how to clean that up neatly after it serves its purpose and if it just sits there there's like... okay, it's only a few feet wide sheet, but it's still an invisible collision object in the middle of the air which I don't want to leave hanging around that just seems sloppy. Just gonna move the ship and its pieces to match dummy versions of it then delete the dummies.

A one frame delay should work, after you enable it set a variable to 1, and in the block above it check for that variable and disable

I.e.

Initial disable block

If disablenow == 1
Disable
Set all of your variables to 0

If traveledtohere == 1
Enable
Set disablenow to 1

That would ensure the player hits the block for one frame then gently lands on the surface.

Changing your code doesnt take much, leave your disabled boat models to save a ton of time with placement (of course this above method might work)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm here to be confused again, I'm so sorry.

I gave moving the ship activator with the PositionCell command a try instead.

But after moving position, the new ship activator has no collision until I reload the cell--which means when I step out of the ship, I, once again, fall into the water. I keep cliping through the ship until I enter and exit a nearby building to give the ship collision in its new position now. Is this another weird engine problem there's a workaround for?

And with the enable-disable method instead,

quote:

Initial disable block

If disablenow == 1
Disable
Set all of your variables to 0

If traveledtohere == 1
Enable
Set disablenow to 1

Wouldn't that hit the same problem of the object's enabled collision not applying until after the player's been placed in the water on the exterior cell load?