Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
As a PPL I suggest keeping Auto-Mixture on unless you really want a full sim challenge and only after you've gotten a lot of practice. For beginners just get practice flying around without worrying about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can someone give a breakdown of how to use VOR gauges and Course Select stuff? Sagebrush, hit me with your wisdom. I'm flying totally solo and it tells me the heading of each destination. I just take off, gain alt, and change course directly to that heading and keep it until ETE is reached, yeah? And also what cabin air and cabin hit do. I thought it'd open the cockpit window lol

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Enos Shenk posted:

Big difference after removing the dumb default controls like twist-rudder (I have pedals, game) and that look around analog stick. The default rudder pedals sensitivity is ludicrously high as well, like I dialed it down to -25% before it felt vaguely usable.
Seconding the rudder sensitivity, zeesh. I am using the T.16000 throttle paddle bit for rudder and have it at -60% sensitivity and I think it could even be a little less. The elevator trim knob was like crazy too, the slightest touch would be too much.

Sapozhnik posted:

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Packages\fs-base-onboarding\logos
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\Packages\fs-base-onboarding\html_ui\Pages\Logos\Logos.js
Oh thank Glob for you. It is bad enough it takes 30 seconds after clicking PLAY before anything actually comes on the screen, but then oh watch these ads for a bit while we do nothing in the background.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Trying to fly under the Coronado Bridge in San Diego counted as me crashing, 0/10 literally unplayable :colbert:

Zero One posted:

WOW. That is my assessment so far.

I took my 172 up from a small airport near me and did a tour of my house and then the Orlando parks. Then I flew back to the airport and nailed the landing.

I had a huge grin the whole time because of how real everything felt. I could recognize roads, stores, landmarks, builds, everything looked great.

It just feels super close to real flying.

Some screenshots:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to check out WDW, although it does show the age of their photos in that part of the world if the hat is still there at studios. Although my house is on there and it's a new build so I guess there's a wide variety

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Zero One posted:

WOW. That is my assessment so far.

I took my 172 up from a small airport near me and did a tour of my house and then the Orlando parks. Then I flew back to the airport and nailed the landing.

I had a huge grin the whole time because of how real everything felt. I could recognize roads, stores, landmarks, builds, everything looked great.

It just feels super close to real flying.

Some screenshots:
Looks great, thanks for sharing.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

After fiddling around with the settings a bit Ive finally managed to stay airborne for the most part, on the easiest mode with all the help functions online. Lol, flying is quite hard as it turns out.

Game looks amazing though, it's just a joy to find places that I recognize, or that I want to go.

Only problem I have is that I can't change the weather on the fly, even after turning off all multiplayer functions. It's a shame, I was looking forward to this quite a bit. anybody else have this problem?

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I am playing with controller and the Throttle/Trimming functionality seems really really clunky.

Throttle is controlled with the A and B buttons, but it doesn't seem accurate, I have to hold the button down for the throttle to start moving and then when I let go it might or might not stop at the right time.

With the trim I cannot see how much trim I am adding/removing so I over/undershoot it every time. Any suggestions?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In third person view you get a UI element for trim so you can see how much trim your inputs are applying. In cockpit view I guess you're just supposed to gauge it off the instruments? I'm new to airplane

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

in the 172 the trim wheel is right below the throttle and next to the pilots leg and you can see it turn (fast or slow) when you hit your trim buttons.

some planes have button trims on their yoke, some have buttons on the pedestal, others have wheels. it varies

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
One thing I'm struggling with is knowing how far away my destination is. I get in the air, point myself in the right heading and start the stopwatch. But my ETE is always much shorter than my actual flight time. I'm scanning the horizon for the airport miles before I need to. So I must be going too slowly. Am I flying too high/spending too much time climbing?

I'm trying not to "cheat" too much with extra info and popups. Right now I"m using just the navlog panel.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Qubee posted:

Can someone give a breakdown of how to use VOR gauges and Course Select stuff? Sagebrush, hit me with your wisdom. I'm flying totally solo and it tells me the heading of each destination. I just take off, gain alt, and change course directly to that heading and keep it until ETE is reached, yeah? And also what cabin air and cabin hit do. I thought it'd open the cockpit window lol

The VOR receiver essentially lets you select one of 360 radials that come out of a VOR station. To go directly to a station (assuming you have the right frequency set into the radio), turn the course select knob (the OBS or Omni Bearing Selector) on the VOR indicator until you have a "to" indication (the face of the gauge will have either something saying "to/from" or an arrow that points up or down) and the white needle (the CDI, or Course Deviation Indicator) centers.

With the needle centered and a "to" indication, just fly the heading that's at the top of the VOR indicator, and the CDI will then represent the desired course, so turn towards it to re-center the CDI if it wanders off because you're not exactly on the heading or there's wind present.

There's a pretty good VOR simulator out there (http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/nav/vorzip/index.html) that I used to help students understand exactly how VOR's work depending on where you are relative to the station.

As for the cabin air, that generally opens a small door on the side of the nose to allow fresh air into the cockpit, and the cabin heat knob controls a baffle that pulls air past the engine exhaust and into the cabin.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Fawkner (suburb near me) got a skyscraper too!

What is the giant Prometheus-like vertical ring next to the skyscraper?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Did I see right that there’s an AP bug? Mine in the C172 just slammed me right into the ground, ignoring HDG and spiraling into the sweet embrace of death.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Qubee posted:

"How to do radio nav" is a big question. I suppose the absolute most basic way you can work with a VOR is to just home in on it:
- find a VOR in your area and note its frequency (skyvector.com, see below)
- tune that frequency on your NAV radio
- turn the knob on the CDI/OBS (VOR receiver instrument) until the needle is centered and the little flag inside says "TO" (if it centers saying "FROM" then rotate it 180 degrees)
- note the heading on the ring around the outside
- turn to fly that heading
- if the needle deviates from center, fly towards it (i.e. if it's off to the left, adjust your heading left 10 or 20 degrees until it's centered again)
- eventually the needle will start swinging rapidly, the flag will disappear, and then it will pop up again saying FROM. You have just passed over the station. If you look down you should see a little building that looks like a circus tent or merry-go-round
- rinse and repeat.

Here is what a VOR looks like on a chart. Its frequency is 114.7

Cabin air in a small plane opens a little duct to the outside that lets air in through the cabin vents, just like in your car. Cabin heat runs the air past the muffler to warm it up. If you feel dizzy the first thing you do is turn off cabin heat because maybe you have an exhaust leak.

No Mods No Masters posted:

In third person view you get a UI element for trim so you can see how much trim your inputs are applying. In cockpit view I guess you're just supposed to gauge it off the instruments? I'm new to airplane

Aardvark Barber posted:

With the trim I cannot see how much trim I am adding/removing so I over/undershoot it every time. Any suggestions?

Next to the trim wheel there will be a little indicator of some sort. In the 152 it's the stick in the slot:

However, the way you adjust trim in real life is by holding the nose where you want it to be, so e.g. maintaining level flight, and then turning the trim wheel until the control pressures go away and you can let go and it just stays there. Sim joysticks don't have that functionality so instead you turn the trim so that the nose stays at the correct attitude when the stick is centered. You can also cheat and just look at your vertical speed indicator and trim until that reads 0.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

kanonvandekempen posted:

Look closer.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

This is working great with an Xbox controller, except the rudder pedals (Xbox triggers). Despite being an analogue control, it seems to work digitally and doesn't have a sensitivity control in the menu like the yoke.

Otherwise this is fantastic. My father in law has an A5 but I'll never get to fly it, so now I can fly a fake one into his house.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Curious, is there a time compression option? It'd be nice to speed up time whenever I'm doing a transatlantic flight or whatever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

One thing I'm struggling with is knowing how far away my destination is. I get in the air, point myself in the right heading and start the stopwatch. But my ETE is always much shorter than my actual flight time. I'm scanning the horizon for the airport miles before I need to. So I must be going too slowly. Am I flying too high/spending too much time climbing?

I'm trying not to "cheat" too much with extra info and popups. Right now I"m using just the navlog panel.

If the ETE is calculated for you before the flight and you're taking much longer to get there, you're probably just not flying the best airspeed, or are deviating from your plan in some other way. Having the numbers work out correctly relies on you following the altitudes, airspeeds, and power settings that you plan out. If you climb to a higher altitude than planned, then yes, you'll take longer to get to your destination.

Other things to check:
- did you remember to retract your flaps and landing gear?
- is your throttle at the correct power setting?
- are your manifold pressure and RPM correct, if applicable?
- is your mixture leaned for the altitude?
- are you flying coordinated?
- are you following the most direct route to your waypoints?
- have the winds changed since you did your calculations?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 18, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Relogged and the downloader is now fetching my Premium stuff.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yo we need to make a list of really cool back country air strips. There's one on an island in the middle of the great salt lake that is dope at sunset

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Funso Banjo posted:

This is working great with an Xbox controller, except the rudder pedals (Xbox triggers). Despite being an analogue control, it seems to work digitally and doesn't have a sensitivity control in the menu like the yoke.

Otherwise this is fantastic. My father in law has an A5 but I'll never get to fly it, so now I can fly a fake one into his house.

Did you tweak some settings? I'm having the same digital/analogue issue with the elevator/controller knobs. There would be basically no input until I'm halfway at the knob limit and I'm unsure if the controller is slowly dying (still using a 360 one) or if I missed something in the settings.

Edit: Had a deadzone setting for some reason in the Steam big picture config. Though it still feels extremely imprecise.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 18, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Anyone having an issue with their throttle mapping? I have a slider but it seems to only recognize top and bottom so either full or zero throttle.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Handsome Ralph posted:

Curious, is there a time compression option? It'd be nice to speed up time whenever I'm doing a transatlantic flight or whatever.

I don't recall what it's mapped to by default, but yes.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I was flying around today and I decided to do some comparison screenshots with some photos I took on vacation last month. I'm very impressed with how close they are.

I didn't match up the lighting on the last one.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I was flying around today and I decided to do some comparison screenshots with some photos I took on vacation last month. I'm very impressed with how close they are.

I didn't match up the lighting on the last one.

Very nice, where at? I feel like it might be cool to have a thread dedicated to awesome landing strips or location that just look awesome. Having viewed a bunch of different locations, some are definitely better than others.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mmkay posted:

For those having problems with slow download speeds, you can try tweaking this:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/window-auto-tuning-in-windows-10

Friend had way downloads and it shot up to ISP limits after twiddling with these settings (don't ask me details, I didn't have a problem with it).

I tried this and it did absolutely nothing, so I turned it back to default. The download only really sped up when I got to about 50%, once it got past all the small individual files. Then I was getting 700-800Mbps

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have the Premium Deluxe Edition on Steam, and I can't find the Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner in the content manager. How do I get this aircraft?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kanonvandekempen posted:

It's a hatch on the plane window.

I said come in! posted:

I have the Premium Deluxe Edition on Steam, and I can't find the Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner in the content manager. How do I get this aircraft?

There's been an issue with the premium content, should be resolved within a day.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Should I buy msfs on steam or thru Microsoft?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Steam, the Xbox app is a trashfire

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Keep restarting and stuff. I didn't have it last night but this morning it checked for updates and added all the premium airplanes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yes, push the R key, then push ctrl + numpad plus or minus. Keep track of how many times you've pushed it because in the beta at least there was no on screen indication.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

UnknownTarget posted:

Should I buy msfs on steam or thru Microsoft?

If you ever think you might have an xbox and wanna play it there, MS.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I had the same situation, just restarted and it's now downloading additional packages.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

MS store is great for this. There is no reason to use Steam.

You will likely be doing a lot of transactions for DLC through the MS Store and it auto installs and auto updates. Which is insane compared to how it used to work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm not sure that the achievements are working properly because I just did 3 laps at an airport with 20 knot winds and didn't get the one for landing in >15kt

my cheevos

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I prefer Steam, I knew I wanted to own this sim, and the platform is just easier to use for me. I also wanted to be able to stream it to my TV, and Nvidia Shield Pro doesn't really support anything but Steam for that.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I assume no, but is there a faster drone or a camera mode for just checking out environments and setting up shots without a huge time commitment?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Dineren posted:

There is OnAir, but it has a $3 monthly sub after a free trial.

That does look very cool, thanks. Only issue so far is that it will generate missions to airports that don't exist in FS2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
If you're in need of headtracking and have a decent webcam, FaceTrackNoIR may be worth checking out. Like all head-tracking, it needs significant tweaking to get right, but it is supported by the new game.