Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Switchback posted:

I suspect that attitude has made a whoooooole lot more people broke than it has made rich.

Yeah. Speaking from experience as a worker for a startup that had a cool product, you either put in so much money in while your company is starting up in marketing and sales or you might as well not even try.

The owner of that startup was smart enough to bail while not spending too much, though, but yeah.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

It still blows my mind that adultery while serving in the military can land you a court martial. :thumbsup:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

It still blows my mind that adultery while serving in the military can land you a court martial. :thumbsup:

I believe it's because.. you gently caress someone else, they threaten to tell your wife or you tell them state secrets. Cheating / adultery comes up with security clearance etc as well I believe.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Also for chain of command purposes, usually you are either sleeping with someone who is a superior/subordinate or the spouse of such. You don't want someone reenacting the Charge of the Light Brigade with a company just cause a captain's pissed off that Private Dumbdick has been loving his wife. Even if it's a good tactical call it muddies the waters of are your orders good or are they due to personal influence, either putting someone in danger or unduly keeping them out of it.

That may sound a bit dumb but some of these standards were made to prevent stuff like Count Bertolemew from protecting nephew Fauntleroy while other people die in his place back when aristocracy was more of a thing. These days the blackmail explanation is reason enough.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 18, 2020

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

My grandma has a story from the Korean War where grandad's commanding officer threatened to send granddad to the front if grandma didn't sleep with him. Grandad was friends with a colonel from temple who requested granddad for his staff to get them out of that situation.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't have a lot of insight into these rules because I have never served in the military, but it abstractly makes sense to me why a soldier would have fewer personal liberties than a normal citizen and would be subject to a lot of community-oriented rules.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Counterpoint: if I want my husband to be able to get laid on a deployment, the simple act of doing it shouldn't jeopardize his career

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is poly military a thing

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Alan Smithee posted:

is poly military a thing

It is. Though those doing it are either recognize how prevalent cheating is in the military world and keep it way on the down low, or are exactly the drama filled shitshow you expect when you combine poly + enlisted.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

It is. Though those doing it are either recognize how prevalent cheating is in the military world and keep it way on the down low, or are exactly the drama filled shitshow you expect when you combine poly + enlisted.

I'd watch a movie about the Sacred Band of Thebes except that instead of 150 gay couples it's a 300-person polycule.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tomfoolery posted:

I'd watch a movie about the Sacred Band of Thebes except that instead of 150 gay couples it's a 300-person polycule.

300 meets Queer Eye. Lots of impalement and stabbing with spears. Also gossip and sass

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

300 meets Queer Eye. Lots of impalement and stabbing with spears. Also gossip and sass

Honestly this is just the Illiad

Including the sex parts.

especially the sex parts

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Cum with your shield, or on him

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BonerGhost posted:

Counterpoint: if I want my husband to be able to get laid on a deployment, the simple act of doing it shouldn't jeopardize his career

wrong!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Lol what

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

it's a security risk for all the reasons posted upthread, it ain't just about people bangin

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if I want to be in an open relationship with multiple financial institutions who is uncle sam to care

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

if I want to be in an open relationship with multiple financial institutions who is uncle sam to care

This is how you get a Securities Trading Investgation/Infraction

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Being a security risk for a clearance is a separate thing from adultery in the UCMJ. Regardless, it's pretty tough to blackmail someone by threatening to tell their spouse when their spouse knows about it and is cool with it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

BonerGhost posted:

Being a security risk for a clearance is a separate thing from adultery in the UCMJ. Regardless, it's pretty tough to blackmail someone by threatening to tell their spouse when their spouse knows about it and is cool with it.

The blackmail fetishist is just waiting for the day the Chinese get compromising pictures of him.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pretty sure the findom piggies head straight to the truck dealership

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Soylent Pudding posted:

The blackmail fetishist is just waiting for the day the Chinese get compromising pictures of him.

PLA Intelligence Agent: "We have pictures of you with your daughters college roommate, what do you suppose will happen if they leak to Washington Post?"

O-6: ":flashfap:"

PLA: ":stonk:"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Alan Smithee posted:

is poly military a thing

I know a career air force couple who got propositioned three different times by three different swinger couples

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

BigDave posted:

PLA Intelligence Agent: "We have pictures of you with your daughters college roommate, what do you suppose will happen if they leak to Washington Post?"

O-6: ":flashfap:"

PLA: ":stonk:"

Hey, it worked for Sukarno.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

On a more serious note, depending on how your specific GO #1 is written, you're not allowed to get laid on deployment whether you're married or not.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

At my regiment a total loving idiot major started dating a lance corporal and the same year delivered the annual "values and standards" lecture.

Major seems to be the level that accumulates all the officer fuckwits. People with proper command potential breeze through it, anyone with imagination and ability quits before they get there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yond Cassius posted:

Hey, it worked for Sukarno.

KGB: "We have piss tape Sukarno"

Sukarno: "got any copies :haw:"

KGB: :stare:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Some great thread highlights in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg85H26wyLk

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Our accountant is on a Zoom call with about 20 other people - including outside vendors - and needed to access the financial system.

First, she shared her screen while logging in.

Then, she unshared the screen and dropped this in Zoom chat:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 19, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I hope you bought yourself a bidet off amazon on her dime and then posted "Do you know Ligma" on her facebook

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Alan Smithee posted:

I hope you bought yourself a bidet off amazon on her dime and then posted "Do you know Ligma" on her facebook

It would be the taxpayer's dime and I could buy millions of bidets with her login.

They would have to be approved by someone else, so it is a risky fraud move to try. But, if someone isn't paying attention and just approving all the requests from the accountant's account, then I could become a bidet god and use the most majestic $150,000 Japanese toilet as my throne.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Our accountant is on a Zoom call with about 20 other people - including outside vendors - and needed to access the financial system.

First, she shared her screen while logging in.

Then, she unshared the screen and dropped this in Zoom chat:

Lol. You have no idea how many times I've done that with auto-type in KeePass and IM's.

Followed quickly by "IGNORE THAT!" and me updating my password.

Then again, we use 20 different systems. Most of which have unique usernames.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It would be the taxpayer's dime and I could buy millions of bidets with her login.

They would have to be approved by someone else, so it is a risky fraud move to try. But, if someone isn't paying attention and just approving all the requests from the accountant's account, then I could become a bidet god and use the most majestic $150,000 Japanese toilet as my throne.
Order a bidet for someone else

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A PPB (pee poo bidet) loan for the people

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Citibank sent a hedge fund $175 million by mistake. Now it's struggling to get the money back

quote:

Citibank (C) said in court documents that it meant to send Brigade Capital around $1.5 million in interest payments on a loan the hedge fund made to troubled cosmetics company Revlon (REV). Instead, it wired roughly 100 times that amount of its own funds to the hedge fund. Other Revlon creditors also received erroneous payments adding up to $900 million.
Citibank, which acts as an administrative agent on the Revlon loan, alleges in court documents that Brigade Capital is refusing to return the money. "Brigade has taken the baseless position that Citibank's overpayment ... served to pay off Revlon's entire principal balance as well," the bank wrote in its complaint.

Well, if that doesn't sound exactly like what Citibank would do to you if you overpaid your mortgage....

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

canyoneer posted:

Citibank sent a hedge fund $175 million by mistake. Now it's struggling to get the money back

Well, if that doesn't sound exactly like what Citibank would do to you if you overpaid your mortgage....

With 175 million you can probably tie that up in court for a long-rear end time

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I love the unbolded part of "Other Revlon creditors also received erroneous payments adding up to $900 million." Not exactly a fat-finger transfer when you manage to gently caress up alllll the payments.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

It's hard to tell what's going on from the article, but it looks like the original amount was just interest payments, and the full amount could have been the entire value of the loan. So maybe they just have a couple buttons next to each other: "pay interest", "pay off loan"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

canyoneer posted:

My heart bleeds for Citigroup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

I (F 24) think my fiance (M 48) is financially immature and not sure how to handle it

quote:

I’ve (F 24) been in a relationship with my fiance ( M 48) for about 2 1/2 years. We recently got engaged and have been trying to make steps towards our future, such as buying a house. But he’s always broke. He will get paid, and need to dip into our savings just days later. Mind you, he didnt even know what we were saving for (the house we’ve talked about many times) and didn’t start contributing to it until months later. By the time he contributed, I had already saved over a grand. I know its not much, but I only made 11 bucks an hour at that point and still managed to contribute to savings(he makes good pay where hes working, much better than me...)...it bothered me for awhile that he didnt even know we were supposed to be saving.

Fast forward a bit, he has admitted to me that he feels he gambles too much. He does spend a good bit on lottery tickets every day. Typically before work in mornings. No big deal I suppose, but its like why are you gambling when you know we have bills due. Its frustrating and makes me worry about our future. During this quarantine, he was still employed and I was unfortunately laid off. I managed to continue to contribute to savings even tho only making unemployment. Our savings is pretty much depleted now though. Overall, he says he owes savings about 2500. I think its much more. Please note, we havent been saving long, and anytime we make progress, money gets taken out...so we dont get far ever.

He got paid two weeks ago, and needed to take about a paychecks worth of money out of savings a few days later to pay for his new truck (literally first payment, and the down payment for this new truck came from Savings) and all his bills. No explanation really on where the money went other than his portion of Rent. He gets paid tmrw, and just asked this morning to borrow twenty bucks again. Am I wrong for feeling a type of way about this? I dont care to lend money, thats not the point. Not trying to count favors. Im genuinely concerned about the future with the way he handles money now. I told him we need to get a joint bank account because its just getting to be worrisome at this point. He was okay with that. I also told him the I unfortunately just dont want to continue looking for houses until I can trust his financial decision making. I feel guilty, but I have to be honest right?

Tl;dr: My fiance who is significantly older than me seems to lack financial maturity and stability and it is causing me a great deal of stress. I’m not sure if I’m just being overbearing or if he truly is immature in that way.

I know most of the comments here are going to be harsh and I’m okay with that. I also realize how stupid I probably sound. But sorry ya’ll, I genuinely love him and don’t think its reasonable to just up and leave someone because they are reckless with money lol.