Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Ayin posted:

Mozilla laid off 250 people.

From which department? Well given where I'm posting, you may have figured already

https://twitter.com/MichalPurzynski/status/1293220570885062657
(and some others)

it is incredibly depressing and unsurprising news.

the fact that most really good software(-adjacent) work has no really reliable funding is a huge ongoing issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quote:

In 2017 Firefox was used by 11% of all internet users, but that number has fallen to less than 4%, according to statistics from the U.S. government’s Digital Analytics Program.

Didn't know it had gotten so bad for them.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
security in my browser?
:nsacloud:
nein danke!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i still use firefox but what is better i will not use: chrome safari internet explorer/edge

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that’s not the product security team, afaict; it’s an ops team I believe. not that such work is worthless, but it’s more a concern if you were worried about someone owning the corporate network or web servers than about software review and fixes not happening

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Subjunctive posted:

that’s not the product security team, afaict; it’s an ops team I believe. not that such work is worthless, but it’s more a concern if you were worried about someone owning the corporate network or web servers than about software review and fixes not happening

:nsa:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

akadajet posted:

Didn't know it had gotten so bad for them.

lol 11% of people used firefox in 2017?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah when I was there it wasn’t in a separate function from ops, so I dunno what they have at risk there and how much of the work came from now-cancelled projects like the IOT bridge or whatever

I haven’t fully understood what people at Mozilla do for the last 500 employees though, really

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Mozilla Corporation/Number of employees
Image result for how many employees does mozilla have
Mozilla Corporation has just over 1,000 employees worldwide.

lol what? how

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, what browser should I use?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Methanar posted:

Mozilla Corporation/Number of employees
Image result for how many employees does mozilla have
Mozilla Corporation has just over 1,000 employees worldwide.

lol what? how

image result for how many employees does mozilla have:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Shame Boy posted:

image result for how many employees does mozilla have:

i'd rather rule in the ballpit than serve in the chuck e cheese

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Carbon dioxide posted:

the answer is still firefox. we’ll let you know if that changes.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Carbon dioxide posted:

Netsurf was trending earlier and it was probably an insider Mozilla leak

Or failing that, I hear Gopher is making a comeback

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

neoplanet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
NetPositive, for sure

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
lynx

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Edge

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I haven’t fully understood what people at Mozilla do for the last 500 employees though, really
Seriously.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i went to a meetup at the mozilla berlin about contributing to their open-source products and the guy who ran it said he didn't know anything about contributing to the open-source products but that now (2017) was a really good time to publish an open source rust library that i could then spend the rest of my life being "the guy" for

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

whoa that takes me back to my addiction to skinning every ui

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
cyberdog

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
not much, whats cyber with you?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1293100307438874624

E: Oh, a hoax. https://nypost.com/2020/08/11/john-mcafee-apparently-arrested-for-wearing-thong-instead-of-face-mask/

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 14, 2020

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Carbon dioxide posted:

you can't go wrong with ncsa mosaic

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Just a question, is anyone familiar with this service called privacy.com?

What they do is you can make virtual, but valid credit cards there and use them to make a single purchase or repeated purchases from 1 webshop with them. The advantage is you can cancel the card at any time and put a very strict spending limit on it, so it can be used if you don't trust a company with your real CC info.

Someone described it as "a password manager but for credit cards".

I haven't heard from them before but it sounds like not a terrible idea, at first glance.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’ve used it before for an nzb aggregator with a sketchy payment processor, it works really well. I especially liked their use case of signing up for a gym membership with a unique number, that way you can just walk away without dealing with cancellation hassles.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

the one good thing about the Apple Card is requesting a new # whenever you want.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my mastercard has that, it's cool, if not as convenient

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

devmd01 posted:

I’ve used it before for an nzb aggregator with a sketchy payment processor, it works really well. I especially liked their use case of signing up for a gym membership with a unique number, that way you can just walk away without dealing with cancellation hassles.

i mean the gym can still gently caress you over with collections

but yeah i've had no issues with it and it seems safe enough

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Just a question, is anyone familiar with this service called privacy.com?

What they do is you can make virtual, but valid credit cards there and use them to make a single purchase or repeated purchases from 1 webshop with them. The advantage is you can cancel the card at any time and put a very strict spending limit on it, so it can be used if you don't trust a company with your real CC info.

Someone described it as "a password manager but for credit cards".

I haven't heard from them before but it sounds like not a terrible idea, at first glance.

my bank used to offer that with its credit cards. it worked pretty well but the browser plugin the service used was based on flash and the bank turned the service off a couple of years ago, citing improvements in other areas of fraud protection. i never heard of any compromise of the generated numbers, but then again my main number has only been compromised twice and if i’m doing risky purchases i do it with a prepaid card anyway.

given all that i wouldn’t pay for this service, and if you elect to use it be aware that it’s one more company you’re giving your credit card usage details to and if you use their free service the only way they have to make money off you is by selling that data. they are totally selling all the data though.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Midjack posted:

my bank used to offer that with its credit cards. it worked pretty well but the browser plugin the service used was based on flash and the bank turned the service off a couple of years ago, citing improvements in other areas of fraud protection. i never heard of any compromise of the generated numbers, but then again my main number has only been compromised twice and if i’m doing risky purchases i do it with a prepaid card anyway.

given all that i wouldn’t pay for this service, and if you elect to use it be aware that it’s one more company you’re giving your credit card usage details to and if you use their free service the only way they have to make money off you is by selling that data. they are totally selling all the data though.

they make money off the credit card fees, so they don't have to sell your data.

whether they do anyway, I can't say.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dylan16807 posted:

they make money off the credit card fees, so they don't have to sell your data.

whether they do anyway, I can't say.

i’m not sure this outfit is in a position to capture the credit card fees, a bank still has to be involved somewhere to manage the credit account and they definitely aren’t a bank. proceed with caution.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Midjack posted:

i’m not sure this outfit is in a position to capture the credit card fees, a bank still has to be involved somewhere to manage the credit account and they definitely aren’t a bank. proceed with caution.

they act like a credit card to the site you're paying, and collect credit card fees from them. then they connect directly or via debit to your bank account, which costs significantly less. they keep the difference as payment.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

edit: forget it. they can make some profit with that setup even though they're splitting the fees.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

can you expand on this? to me having the interface makes sense as it needs to present an L3 gateway to route traffic via

Shaggar posted:

the windows native VPN also creates interfaces for VPN connections (as does wireguard), so he may be talking about specific interface types maybe? Not really sure.

either way i think its still a problem with openvpn as other 3rd party proprietary SSL/ipsec VPNs do the exact same thing and dont have some of the same performance issues as openvpn.

ewiley posted:

Oh my Goooooood I had to deal with this fuckery when we moved from win7 to win10. They added some magic to the windows networking stack to silently prefer some interfaces while ignoring the actual OS routing table. Using find-netroute was literally the only way to see it in action. The upshot was when using full-tunnel VPN Windows would end up looping traffic through the “very fast” VPN pseudo-interface away from the regular interface despite there being a /32 route to the vpn gateway. Windows would read the iftype of the interface in the registry but the OpenVPN TAP adapter (and all other VPN provider adapters) showed up as ‘ethernet’. Microsoft has a ‘vpn’ adapter type, but that’s only for their PPP virtual adapters that didn’t work with the lazy code that VPN software developers used assuming their virtual adapters work just like Ethernet adapters (with respect to things like DHCP address assignment, ARP, etc).

It's this. Microsoft adapter types are flagged as VPN whereas the other ones just treated as a standard networking adapter. this becomes an issue due to a win10 feature where it prefers IPv6 ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS AND FOREVER by default.

connected to wifi that has ipv6 enabled? vpn won't work because the wifi adapter IPv4 network is on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet and you're trying to reach 10.10.10.10. doesn't matter that there is another adapter right there with a route for 10.0.0.0/8. if there is an ipv6 adapter present and connected all traffic goes there. period. full stop. end of story.

there's no gpo to fix this directly but there is a registry key where you can invert the preference to ipv4 over ipv6 which works for corporate computers but in the age of corona where people are connecting from whatever they have at home well......

however that isn't the only problem. if you're on vpn and have split brain dns (internal DNS gives you a different, private/vpn only IP than internet facing dns) you can run into a lot of issues. back in win8 MS added a feature called Smart Multi Home Name Resolution (SMHNR). basically W8+ will query all available DNS servers and take whatever responds the fastest. if there isn't a published external DNS record the DNS set on the non-vpn adapter will just return NXDOMAIN so SMHNR will wait and get the correct internal IP from the VPN DNS

however, if there are entries for both internal and external you can run into issues where you're intermittently getting an external IP address for a service while on VPN depending on which DNS server responds faster. or just straight failures if you don't have hairpin NAT and depending on internal routing

~Coxy posted:

WFH these last couple of months I have had nothing but trouble dealing with split tunnelling on the corp VPN.

split tunneling plays into it but I've had way less of those problems once I figured out the ipv6 behavior

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG posted:

connected to wifi that has ipv6 enabled? vpn won't work because the wifi adapter IPv4 network is on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet and you're trying to reach 10.10.10.10. doesn't matter that there is another adapter right there with a route for 10.0.0.0/8. if there is an ipv6 adapter present and connected all traffic goes there. period. full stop. end of story.

this sounds extremely bizarre and doesn't make sense. v4 and v6 route tables are separate and shouldn't affect each other. when routing to a v4 address it will select the most specific v4 route with the lowest metric. the only instance where what you describe could happen is if the 10/8 route has the wrong gateway and/or interface. that or there are duplicate routes and one on the wifi adapter has a lower metric.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yes you can manually set the interface metric to like 1 or something on the vpn interface as a workaround

e: it’s been a while so I looked this up again. it looks like it’s not routing but is actually dns again. if an interface has ipv6 that dns is getting used and if it returns NXDOMAIN well then it must not exist

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018
idk if anybody's posted this yet but lol webass is full of holes

not the VMs. the code itself can still be exploited, using basically old school stack smashing. they took out canaries etc because "it's in a VM so it's secure" :allears: