Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

quote:

There are forum ranks, with exclusive rewards and perks both on the RSI site and in game depending upon how much money you have contributed toward development in total. Becoming a member of the Chairman's Club entitles you to Concierge Services and rewards.

High Admiral = $1000+

Grand Admiral = $2500+

Space Marshall = $5000+

Wing Commander = $10,000+

Praetorian = $15,000+

Legatus Navium = $25,000+

At $7,512 I am half way between Space Marshall and Wing Commander, the date on the certificates is wrong I've been a Space Marshall since 21st December 2015 but the certificates were only awarded on 19-11-2018 to everyone who qualified.

My favourite perk is having the hardbound copy of the Chairman's Handbook.

quote:

They are listed on the website I linked. In game clothes and equipment. Access to in game Chairman's Club Lounges - they are not open yet but there is one at TEASA Spaceport, and another coming at Orison on Crusader, there will be more.

There are in game services planned for Chairman's Club such as Sharrington Cross online catalogue, Epulae Dining, Imperial Access - a Chairman's Club only VIP access to in game events - includes VIP tickets to in game sporting events and the opera house on Mars or the Fashion Week held on Prime - Terra II etc. There are exclusive resorts to stay at such as the Lagora Island Chateau on Tangaroa. They have a luxury travel service called Visangio, they operate a fleet of luxury Genesis Starliners.

Real World

Access to Concierge account section. Preferential access to our own dedicated customer service rep. Access to the Concierge section of the forums.

PTU access to wave 1. Early access to sales of new concepts and physical goods in the RSI store etc. Early access to ticketed event sales - the majority you meet at CitizenCon are Concierge members. There have been Chairman's Club only public events, you can buy tickets to those. There has been only one CitizenCon that had a Chairman's Club lounge but there will be more. Chairman's Club members also sometimes get a different type of 'goody-bag' at CtizenCon - all attendees get one but the contents may be 'extra' for Chairman's Club. In 2017 at CitizenCon Frankfurt, Concierge members got an Intel Optane SSD drive in their goody-bag, if I recall correctly.

Real world items: Concierge card - metal credit card sized. other physical goods. Limited editions. Chairman's Handbook - limited edition.

All players of Squadron 42 will have the right to buy an F8C Lightning in the PU for in game credits after Squadron 42 release, but Chairman's Club members Wing Commander and above get theirs gifted as of right without the need to complete Squadron 42 Chapter One. Praetorian and above get a gold skinned F8C Lightning. Legatus Navium also get an exclusive Executive edition 600i ship -'free'.

They add more as time goes on. The latest was a zip file with 2 tracks from the official soundtrack - track 1 and track 18 - uncompressed one of which is 'new' and not heard before.

quote:

Imagine paying $7500 for a video game

quote:

No-one needs to pay any more than $45 for lifetime access and all future additions and upgrades are free.

We did that - because WE wanted it that way. I bought Skyrim V 6 times because I wanted it for PC, Xbox and VR. $240 for basically the same game and still none of the original bugs fixed. Without it's community of modders it would be a buggy mess and a lot less engaging.

Chris Roberts offered to attempt what everyone said was impossible.. that's why. Not for 'a game', but for a belief that collectively we could do better.

How much is a season pass for a game that you constantly have to pay to have additions for? Do you count 10 years of season passes and addons as the price of a game? No - because you'd rather be bamboozled than accept reality. If you want to make change, you have try something different.

If I stop paying for a season pass I can no longer play that game online no matter how many years I paid before. I could decide today never to give Cloud Imperium another penny and I still have lifetime access to everything that will EVER be in the game. My account keeps it's value forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
Good to see all the positive comments on the new "roadmap." Seems like it's a way to just show that people are working on poo poo while ignoring any major end goals like releasing a game. Kinda like those Squadron 42 email updates that are a bunch of meaningless jargon on random features. Hey we're working on stuff! What is this stuff crobbling together into? Hell if I know!

If they get people to lose the forest for the trees they might have a few years (decades) of this grift left yet.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
yeah so sq42 prelude is gonna be done sometime in 2021/2022 (at the earliest) now, and that's with two other outside studios working on it

just lol

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
🎵🎶
And I'm proud to be a Refundian, where at least JPGs are free
And I won't forget the Crobbler's lies, nor the lies from CIG
And I'll proudly stand up next to goons, and shitpost here today
Cos despite Lowtax I love this page, God bless the forums of SA

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

1. The price will go up when it nears release.
  2. You never have to pay a single penny more to get everything in the game, all future updates are included and no season passes.
  3. You're not buying a game, you're helping to fund a different way of developing games. If you prefer the buy now, pay again later for addon content and multiplayer passes... sure, that's your choice. We 'bought the game' when all there was was an idea so that you, and anyone else in the future could have better choices. To us.. that is priceless.
You think $45 is expensive?

You think Star Citizen has only a few features for an Alpha unreleased game?

In EA's Starwars Squadrons can you:

Walk around in first person? No, cockpit view and briefing cut-scenes camera view only.

First person, on foot fighting, boarding of ships attacking bases etc? No.

Enter capital ships, space stations and ground locations at will and walk around them? No.

Are there separate in universe multiplayer racing modules, dog-fight swarm modules, and historic battles/location modules for multiplayer - in simpods? No. (Here's the irony - in the Star Citizen universe we have 'small games' made by EA - Electronic Access).

How many locations in the Star Wars Squadrons game? 6.

Can you use land vehicles in the Star Wars Squadrons game? No.

Can you engage in mining, trading, delivery missions, bounty hunting players? Shopping? Cave exploring? Attend in game special events? No. No. No.

Personally I think all those 'extra' features in SC right now are worth the 'extra' $5.. don't you? No? OK then.. don't 'buy' Star Citizen, good luck have fun.

NB: For $65 you get access to the Star Citizen (Alpha) multiplayer and the whole of Squadron 42 Chapter One single player.. expensive huh? Do EA let you exchange the price you paid for their games for 'store credit' at any time no matter how long you've already played the game, so that you can use that money again to buy other things?

I'll tell you what... If you bought a copy of EA's Out of the Park Baseball 19 for $40 but you've had enough of playing it, ask EA can I please exchange last years game for the new Star Wars Squadrons.. please. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to let you do that.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheAgent posted:

yeah so sq42 prelude is gonna be done sometime in 2021/2022 (at the earliest) now, and that's with two other outside studios working on it

just lol

Using Crobear logic, that means that SQ42 can be directly compared to any other game that took a decade or more to develop, and if there are any good games in that list, Chris will think his game is their contemporary. He'll name drop those games right next to his grift and hope people will make the association. Everything with CIG is implication.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/opjfzh2.gifv

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Mirificus posted:

quote:

No-one needs to pay any more than $45 for lifetime access and all future additions and upgrades are free.

We did that - because WE wanted it that way. I bought Skyrim V 6 times because I wanted it for PC, Xbox and VR. $240 for basically the same game and still none of the original bugs fixed. Without it's community of modders it would be a buggy mess and a lot less engaging.

Chris Roberts offered to attempt what everyone said was impossible.. that's why. Not for 'a game', but for a belief that collectively we could do better.

How much is a season pass for a game that you constantly have to pay to have additions for? Do you count 10 years of season passes and addons as the price of a game? No - because you'd rather be bamboozled than accept reality. If you want to make change, you have try something different.

If I stop paying for a season pass I can no longer play that game online no matter how many years I paid before. I could decide today never to give Cloud Imperium another penny and I still have lifetime access to everything that will EVER be in the game. My account keeps it's value forever.

"We paid a conman because he told us what we wanted to hear". Just plainly stating they are paying thousands of dollars for wishes and dreams with zero awareness or reflection. Amazing.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The weirdest thing for me was getting an Anaconda and realizing that the best end-game ship for me was a Python...

:same:

Python hit a sweet spot for me of just being fun and enjoyable to fly.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 19, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Tippis posted:

Finally! The roadmap roadmap: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17727-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Roadmap-Update — turns out it's not a roadmap, nor will the roadmap be one.

loving :lol:

They’re basically just absolving themselves of any pretense of release dates.

Some who follow us understand that just because something is not on the roadmap does not mean it’s not being actively developed. Others, however, believe that if something is not on the roadmap then it means that it is “delayed” or “cancelled.” This creates confusion in some cases and leaves us unable to properly communicate or present the actual work, simply because we don’t display something unless we have a good idea of when it’ll be ready for public consumption. Even then, because these are estimates, we still have to push things a quarter or two due to unforeseen issues or necessary pivots.

What is release anyway?

The new roadmap is just going to be a giant sprawl of meaningless jargon, just like their development update letters.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tippis posted:

Finally! The roadmap roadmap: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17727-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Roadmap-Update — turns out it's not a roadmap, nor will the roadmap be one.

More bullshit excuses as to why 8 years later, Star Citizen has made zero progress, and Squadron 42 will not reach beta like was promised for 3 years now.

colonelwest posted:

loving :lol:

They’re basically just absolving themselves of any pretense of release dates.

Some who follow us understand that just because something is not on the roadmap does not mean it’s not being actively developed. Others, however, believe that if something is not on the roadmap then it means that it is “delayed” or “cancelled.” This creates confusion in some cases and leaves us unable to properly communicate or present the actual work, simply because we don’t display something unless we have a good idea of when it’ll be ready for public consumption. Even then, because these are estimates, we still have to push things a quarter or two due to unforeseen issues or necessary pivots.

What is release anyway?

The new roadmap is just going to be a giant sprawl of meaningless jargon, just like their development update letters.

I like the unforeseen issues part, every single thing ever worked on with this poo poo show has been an unforeseen issue that needed to be pushed back to an undetermined release date and then disappears.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 19, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

IAbsolveMyself posted:

CRobbler and the criminal enterprise formerly known as CIG proudly present a sneak preview of a roadmap over two years in the making...
🎼🎺🎺 (fanfare)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17727-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Roadmap-Update

Edit: damnit

That's a lot of words.

A lot.

Someone got a tl;dr:?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

tuo posted:

That's a lot of words.

A lot.

parp?

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

tuo posted:

That's a lot of words.

A lot.

Not a roadmap, but a "this is what we're currently working on until we are not map." It will basically be a visual representation of the technobabble world salad they poo poo out on a monthly basis.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

tuo posted:

That's a lot of words.

A lot.

you know how we've revised the roadmap like 5 times now because it doesn't accurately represent what we're working on? well we're doing it again.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

tuo posted:

That's a lot of words.

A lot.

"We're working on the roadmap".

Citizens: applauding and commending CIG for going "in the right direction".

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Mne nravitsya posted:

Fun fact of the day: The head of Microsoft’s flight sim studio (Jörg Neumann) is the the same guy who spent years making the game Freelancer (after Roberts was fired from DA) and is one of the main reasons that It ever saw the light of day.

:allears:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

When I started thinking of citizens as art collectors and not video gamers they started making a lot more sense. Also if you're getting bored waiting for the roadmap of the roadmap of the roadmap some goons are slowly talking themselves into Ashes of Creation (brought to you by a guy who made his money from Mangosteen) over in its mmo thread.

e: dammit I skipped -one- page!

TheAgent posted:

I mean, it's really not new

Shroud of the Avatar
Ashes of Creation
Pantheon

All have/had big money asks, including $30,000 golden castles and $25/m subscriptions to forums for a game that's not even in a playable pre-alpha state

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 19, 2020

Scruffyhawk
Jun 30, 2005

FHNNNNNNN
Ramrod XTreme
Someone post that giant clusterfuck roadmap that was like 150 color coded rows stacked to varying degrees. Where did that land anyways? If 25% of those tasks actually got completed I'd be amazed.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Scruffyhawk posted:

Someone post that giant clusterfuck roadmap that was like 150 color coded rows stacked to varying degrees. Where did that land anyways? If 25% of those tasks actually got completed I'd be amazed.

Even if they completed 100% of each roadmap they'd be no closer to a game than they are now. Take this for instance, on recent roadmaps: "Body Dragging." Oh, body dragging you say?

Statement: You will be able to drag bodies around.

Implication: There will be reasons to do this that arise organically from the core gameplay. NPCs will notice bodies and react accordingly. Dragging bodies will allow you to hide people you've killed, or drag a friend out of a hot zone to administer life support behind cover.

Reality: There is no gameplay. Combat is not functioning, cover is not functioning, life support is not functioning, and, in fact, just walking around in a completely empty area is not functioning. At any time the server will crash and just walking around means you will eventually die spontaneously and/or clip through geometry and fall forever. The entire engine is an irredeemable mess and clusterfuck of the highest order, there are no ideas at CIG of what the game is supposed to be, and every day what is there grows more unstable.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Mne nravitsya posted:

Fun fact of the day: The head of Microsoft’s flight sim studio (Jörg Neumann) is the the same guy who spent years making the game Freelancer (after Roberts was fired from DA) and is one of the main reasons that It ever saw the light of day.

Nice — I just hope he enjoys this brief window where Flight Simulator doesn’t have to compete against Chris’s games in the marketplace. When they arrive, it’s over — for everyone.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

sharknado slashfic posted:

When I started thinking of citizens as art collectors and not video gamers they started making a lot more sense. Also if you're getting bored waiting for the roadmap of the roadmap of the roadmap some goons are slowly talking themselves into Ashes of Creation (brought to you by a guy who made his money from Mangosteen) over in its mmo thread.

e: dammit I skipped -one- page!

The most important question that will decide if Ashes of Creation will succeed or fail is "What's Lethality's take on it?"

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The whole concept of MMOs is sort of diffusing anyway, and I think CIG is taking full advantage of that. You've got your standard MMO formula - a persistent server you log onto and share the gamespace. Think Everquest, early WOW. Then you have what WOW has become now, where what server you're on has little influence on who you'll actually be playing with due to sharding, battlegroups, and the whole fuzzy idea of who phases where and when. But the world itself persists in some form. Then you have things like Destiny 2 - where does that fall? You can see other people running around you, but they come and go, it's "one server" but it's not really, obviously, and who you see changes from moment to moment unless you group. Then you have Division 2, which is very similar with the exception that you don't see other players out in the world, only in certain areas. Yet both games provide live services, regular events, and regular updates and balance changes. Are they MMOs?

Newer games are blurring the line even more. To me, the original idea of an MMO is a game where you see hundreds of players around you, engaging in the content. We've drifted into a hybrid model where yeah, there are thousands of players, but you can only see a limited number of them at once, unless you engage in specific content. But they're there - you can send them chats, etc. I'm playing Borderlands 3 right now and even though I'm playing single-player, I know there's some background hum of multiplayer just waiting for me to tick a box somewhere and suddenly boom - here are some people.

It's a natural evolution of our always-online culture, where everyone no matter where they are, are just a text, click, or message away, through one platform or another. And I have no doubt whatsoever that CIG is taking full advantage of the intermediate state of definition we find ourselves in to allow, even encourage, backers to interpret what Star Citizen will be in whatever way allows CIG to most easily continue to steal their money.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I mean the latest CoD multiplayer has like 200+ player maps and that I would deffo call an 'MMO' especially with the RPG aspects of xp/unlocks

same with warframe or any other giant multiplayer game that fractions players off into small subsets

unfortunately with star citizen, that means you would really need 1,000+ player battles based on their game design

so yeah, good luck with that CIG

loving fo76 has a more persistent mmo than you at this point which is just fuckin lol

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Scruffpuff posted:

The whole concept of MMOs is sort of diffusing anyway, and I think CIG is taking full advantage of that. You've got your standard MMO formula - a persistent server you log onto and share the gamespace. Think Everquest, early WOW. Then you have what WOW has become now, where what server you're on has little influence on who you'll actually be playing with due to sharding, battlegroups, and the whole fuzzy idea of who phases where and when. But the world itself persists in some form. Then you have things like Destiny 2 - where does that fall? You can see other people running around you, but they come and go, it's "one server" but it's not really, obviously, and who you see changes from moment to moment unless you group. Then you have Division 2, which is very similar with the exception that you don't see other players out in the world, only in certain areas. Yet both games provide live services, regular events, and regular updates and balance changes. Are they MMOs?

Newer games are blurring the line even more. To me, the original idea of an MMO is a game where you see hundreds of players around you, engaging in the content. We've drifted into a hybrid model where yeah, there are thousands of players, but you can only see a limited number of them at once, unless you engage in specific content. But they're there - you can send them chats, etc. I'm playing Borderlands 3 right now and even though I'm playing single-player, I know there's some background hum of multiplayer just waiting for me to tick a box somewhere and suddenly boom - here are some people.

It's a natural evolution of our always-online culture, where everyone no matter where they are, are just a text, click, or message away, through one platform or another. And I have no doubt whatsoever that CIG is taking full advantage of the intermediate state of definition we find ourselves in to allow, even encourage, backers to interpret what Star Citizen will be in whatever way allows CIG to most easily continue to steal their money.

EVE online is the last full world thing~ but is also trash

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm like the last remaining goon that still plays Eve-Online and enjoys it. I remember a time when 5000+ of us played it but then CCP destroyed large warfare PvP, so everyone noped out of that because that was Eve-Online's flagship feature to every single person playing it for years.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I said come in! posted:

I'm like the last remaining goon that still plays Eve-Online and enjoys it. I remember a time when 5000+ of us played it but then CCP destroyed large warfare PvP, so everyone noped out of that because that was Eve-Online's flagship feature to every single person playing it for years.

What's this, then? Did they destroy it forcibly through code/mechanical changes, or just structure it to be exceedingly punishing? Why would they do this?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

What's this, then? Did they destroy it forcibly through code/mechanical changes, or just structure it to be exceedingly punishing? Why would they do this?

Just lots of dumb balance/mechanical changes, adding lots of PvE, making the game free to play which brought in tons of dual boxing and botting. It's too easy to get ahead now in the safe areas of the galaxy where PvP isn't allowed, so why bother with 0.0 space?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Mne nravitsya posted:

:lol: 100% chance that Crisco Roberto is aware of this fact and is making his employees’ lives a screaming hell because of it.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

WEEOO!

so i leave my exile for one post to comment on my favorite cig topic of all...the roadmap.
more precisely: the draft of a roadmap for a future roadmap.
cig greatness in its truest form. space comedy on the edge of total madness.

its a convoluted, overengineered, full-of-excuses smoke grenade.
its a total travesty. a nothingburger the size of the milky way.

a roadmap should ideally be a chart that you understand without 3km of explanations and excuses beforehand.
but not in star citizenland. in starcitizenland the more you type bullshit, the more fans will love you.

the comment section: total extasy. joy. confidence.
the whole statement (and also the comments) is full of all the buzzwords everyone is laughing about since 5 years.

o7

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

just lol

You didnt say Hello tho

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Good to see all the positive comments on the new "roadmap." Seems like it's a way to just show that people are working on poo poo while ignoring any major end goals like releasing a game. Kinda like those Squadron 42 email updates that are a bunch of meaningless jargon on random features. Hey we're working on stuff! What is this stuff crobbling together into? Hell if I know!

If they get people to lose the forest for the trees they might have a few years (decades) of this grift left yet.

Oh great. So before it was already bad because there was no way to verify they were actually working on the stuff they were saying, since it was never delivered. But at least you could try and hold them to the target dates / quarters they had.

And so now not only there is still no way to verify they are actually working on what they say they are working on, but also we can not even hold them to any dates?

And backers are praising crobblers?

Well done CIG.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 20, 2020

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
ya know at this point im just going to root for CIG to get all the money they can from these people

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ronmcd posted:

Nah no need, I just mention it in case you were really hoping for it in Odyssey! I think it's about the only thing they've definitively said isn't on their roadmap, now the forum rage seems to have switched to walking in cockpits :)

That's my secret - I am not hoping for anything they don't explicitly announce, sometimes not even that ;3

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scruffyhawk posted:

Share and enjoy.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

"We paid a conman because he told us what we wanted to hear". Just plainly stating they are paying thousands of dollars for wishes and dreams with zero awareness or reflection. Amazing.
[/quote]

This is highly off-topic, but I miss the clock-box-on-head days of Portal :(

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i think its funny that they can say something is x% complete, like they'd know how much correct coding will go into the thing.

actually i dont know if thats funny or not, not being a programmer

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

tuo posted:

That's a lot of words.

A lot.

It's actually worth reading carefully, line by line. Part of me thinks that they've release wallofroadmaptext.txt because they're hoping gullible idiots will skip over it.

There's a lot in there that's worth unpicking, because it actually says a lot about the current turmoil inside CIG. There's the usual hubris and self-aggrandizing claims of being first out of the blocks with never-done-before-tech etc., but behind that there's a definite sense of uncertainty in the process, and some indirect references to poo poo maybe not being ready when they think it will be.

They're preparing the ground for more delays and more setbacks and more obfuscation, but the backers are too stupid to see it and are lining up to get hosed right up the arse.

quote:

This is a fantastic update, and it looks like you are aiming to deliver the transparency everyone is asking for.
I am excited to see the next iteration.
As always, great work, CIG team!

quote:

This is a vast improvement and I am looking forward to the changes! I hope that we'll see some of the "showstopper" features such as SSOCS and Server Meshing broken out into more granular sub-features so that we can visually see just how far away we are from a large, player-filled persistent universe!

quote:

YES. I LOVE STAR CITIZEN.
Millions of us are very thankful
Yours truly,
CEO of AEGIS DYNAMICS

quote:

Wow CIG, this is you sticking insanely true to your word. You once promised to treat your backers like you would treat a publisher and this is the fulfillment of that promise. I hope that this arrangement is not too uncomfortable for the devs, but i know this will build so much more trust with the community. Thank you guys. I'm proud to support this dream.

quote:

Thank you to everyone involved in helping improve the roadmap information !

Etc etc

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i think its funny that they can say something is x% complete, like they'd know how much correct coding will go into the thing.

actually i dont know if thats funny or not, not being a programmer

No, you're right. It's another one of those open, audacious lies. Sometimes you can take a set of features and divide them into a set and work a percentage that way, like "it takes these 5 things to make the bartender work, 3 are working, so we're 60% complete" but that's not what they're doing. It's just vague descriptions like "asset rendering 2.0" and it's 7% complete. It's not even a lie - it's just prose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jonny Shiloh posted:

It's actually worth reading carefully, line by line. Part of me thinks that they've release wallofroadmaptext.txt because they're hoping gullible idiots will skip over it.

There's a lot in there that's worth unpicking, because it actually says a lot about the current turmoil inside CIG. There's the usual hubris and self-aggrandizing claims of being first out of the blocks with never-done-before-tech etc., but behind that there's a definite sense of uncertainty in the process, and some indirect references to poo poo maybe not being ready when they think it will be.

They're preparing the ground for more delays and more setbacks and more obfuscation, but the backers are too stupid to see it and are lining up to get hosed right up the arse.

It also makes a lot of sense when viewed through the speculation raise through The Agent's last 'hello' that CIG is poo poo-scared to commit to a roadmap because it will have :siren:consequences:siren: for them in relation to their investors who are at the stage of demanding progress or they will start turning the screws.

The extra level of obfuscation and flexibility with reality is there to help keep the lights on.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 19, 2020