Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

anatomi posted:

In Sweden on Midsummer we dance around the maypole and we sing a song called "Små grodorna", or "The Little Frogs." This stupid, stupid song and the image of their drunk adult relatives stumbling around to it are deeply ingrained in the heart of every Swede.

Here's a translation:

"The little frogs, the little frogs are funny to behold.
The little frogs, the little frogs are funny to behold.
No ears, no ears, no tails do they have.
No ears, no ears, no tails do they have.
Kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack ack kaa.
Kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack, kou ack ack ack ack kaa."

The reason I'm relating this is because the melody is based on an old French marching song, of which the Brits changed the words to make fun of their frog-eating enemies.

Hardly any Swede is aware of this origin of "Små grodorna" — and no one knows why we started to sing it, or why we keep doing it every loving summer.

I was literally wondering that last night. Been here over four years and haven’t seen a drat frog yet there’s that song dancing around to totally not a dick pole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Der Kyhe posted:

Probably does not come as a surprise but in Finland we have this exact same song to the degree where the literal translation to English would be exactly the same.

Usually associated to drinking cognac because "pienet sammakot" (little frogs) and "pienet konjakit" (small cognac) has the same amount of syllables.
That's the flimsiest and greatest reason to drink cognac I've ever heard lol. Amazing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rysithusiku posted:

I'm pretty sure that I heard that all of Napoleon's personal bodyguards were over 6', which was huge back then. So yeah he looked small, but in the same way Arnold Schwarzenegger looked small standing next to Andre the Giant.

A friend who's into bodybuilding / strongman competitions showed me this photo and I was like "Wow impressive, but who's that scrawny guy in the middle? Oh wait holy poo poo"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

anatomi posted:

That's the flimsiest and greatest reason to drink cognac I've ever heard lol. Amazing.

Welcome to the Finnish People

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Data Graham posted:

A friend who's into bodybuilding / strongman competitions showed me this photo and I was like "Wow impressive, but who's that scrawny guy in the middle? Oh wait holy poo poo"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Data Graham posted:

This was exactly the photo I had in mind, actually :D

e: I went looking, and I got some of it right and some of it not quite right. It wasn't grenadiers specifically, it was the Old Guard of Napoleon's Imperial Guard who had selection criteria that you had to be over 5 foot 10 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Guard_(France)). A cursory google suggests Napoleon was in fact around 5 foot 6.

And the Grenadier Guards are a British unit, so I got that bit completely wrong.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Aug 20, 2020

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
They did surgery on a grape

Bean

Liam Nissan

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's also been happening for pretty much all of human history and was (if anything) much much worse in the past. Don't forget that the English made fun of Napoleon's alleged lack of height for centuries even though it was apparently just propaganda anyway.

The Vikings went even further and took that whole "You can't be a real man unless you have a big dick" thing way too seriously

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/oct/10/artsandhumanities.research

Romans on the other hand were all "haha I heard Mentulius has a big dong haha that's gross haha his big dong is grotesque haha" but then write "I WANT TO SEE MENTULIUS'S BIG DONG IN THE BATH WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS WEARING A TOWEL MENTULIUS" on the temple wall.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Romans on the other hand were all "haha I heard Mentulius has a big dong haha that's gross haha his big dong is grotesque haha" but then write "I WANT TO SEE MENTULIUS'S BIG DONG IN THE BATH WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS WEARING A TOWEL MENTULIUS" on the temple wall.
It's all about the monster dong you don't see. The makers of Cloverfield XXX could learn a thing or two from Mentulius

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Just would like to point out, there are men who feel lovely about being short for other reasons than internalized toxic masculinity, like being trans and experiencing dysphoria around it.

e: vvv lol'd at "the decaf detective" on the side

Stroop There It Is has a new favorite as of 14:00 on Aug 20, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/TeenageStepdad/status/1296223754196881414

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Data Graham posted:

Standing next to an immortal demon named The Mountain will make anyone look little by comparison.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i would not compare being short to being trans, but i was short all throughout my childhood and am still a little short. im sure their are worse hangups that i do not notice, but i always have dreams (nightmares!?) that i can dunk a basketball and when i wake up to grim reality, it always hurts.

and here is some content brought to you by the hilarious @factsweird

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hackers film 1995 posted:

and here is some content brought to you by the hilarious @factsweird

Should have painted it like a Kryptonian cradle/rocketship.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
To be honest I feel like it doesn’t make him look small, rather it reinforces just how big the other guys are.

Have you seen The Mountain next to his wife? I mean, I feel like the logistics/ergonomics of their sex life must be...complicated.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dialhforhero posted:

Have you seen The Mountain next to his wife? I mean, I feel like the logistics/ergonomics of their sex life must be...complicated.

Yeah I think about that a lot too haha.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Does this mean Neeson changed his name from Dotson?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

dialhforhero posted:

To be honest I feel like it doesn’t make him look small, rather it reinforces just how big the other guys are.

A former coworker was like Lurch-tall and his wife was literally half his height. I did my best to avoid thinking about it too much.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

dialhforhero posted:

On the contrary I would assume being able to lift your partner with one hand drastically simplifies things.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

gleebster posted:

Does this mean Neeson changed his name from Dotson?

Dotson? Even if he had changed to Dotson nobody would care.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

dialhforhero posted:

:wth:
That is a hell of a height difference.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/HUUvhw0.gifv

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

His beard says Kung Fu Hitler.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/vuRjZSR.gifv

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

raverrn posted:

Dotson? Even if he had changed to Dotson nobody would care.

Nice hat.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Toxic masculinity has done a lot of dirty work on height and dick size

I think its more patriarchy, generally than toxic masculinity, specifically. Toxic masculinity excludes the fact that the same attitudes about short men are also pretty prevalent in women.

I'm short and i didnt really have issues in online dating (cause i'm funny and have realistic expectations) but when i first got in i was a bit shocked at how many girls had height requirements listed in their profile.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Splicer posted:

On the contrary I would assume being able to lift your partner with one hand drastically simplifies things.

It's pretty great! Especially if the little one is flexible and in good shape!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I uh... I'd avoid using the phrase "little one"

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

it's a gender-neutral way of describing one smaller partner in this scenario where one person is bigger than the other person

no one thinks they're a pedophile

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Thread: Please turn back, only death lies ahead.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Purgatory Glory posted:

Eating her out is the next cinnamon challenge.

:hmbol: cooch as dusty as a pharaoh's tomb. dare you brave the mummy's curse?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

LifeSunDeath posted:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

AFewBricksShy posted:

:wth:
That is a hell of a height difference.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

:hmbol: cooch as dusty as a pharaoh's tomb. dare you brave the mummy's curse?

have a puff

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LifeSunDeath posted:

username/avatar/post combo

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BrigadierSensible posted:

Thanks for this, this makes sense.

The explanation I heard was the English kept calling Napoleon short because 1)it was funny to insult and demean their enemy, which lead to 2)a famous cartoon with a little Napoleon in Wellington's hand.

One story about Napoleon I remember (that I cannot find corroboration for at the moment) is supposedly Thomas-Alexandre Dumas once got mistaken for Napoleon, and the people who saw him were so impressed with Dumas that when the real Napoleon showed up they were visibly disappointed. This irked Napoleon so much he wrote a law that didn't called out Dumas by name but basically blocked officers of color from entering Paris, at least when he was there.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

His beard says Kung Fu Hitler.

He doesn’t have a beard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

marshmallow creep posted:

One story about Napoleon I remember (that I cannot find corroboration for at the moment) is supposedly Thomas-Alexandre Dumas once got mistaken for Napoleon, and the people who saw him were so impressed with Dumas that when the real Napoleon showed up they were visibly disappointed. This irked Napoleon so much he wrote a law that didn't called out Dumas by name but basically blocked officers of color from entering Paris, at least when he was there.

This is true and my evidence is just look at him