Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

they call me cheap

they call me easy

but they always come back to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i ordered a shitload of that minerva mackerel its pretty special

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

what if.... smoked oysters were better?

i mean they are... just spreading the word.

obviously you want to get the ones farmed in korea or anywhere but china, heavy metals, bottom feeder etc. They need to be raised in pin or harvested from clean waters.

blob of franks or mustard on a saltine or ritz.

if you want to get real fancy you add a little slice of the sharpest cheddar cheese you can find.

i mean you're dads failed you if they only ever had the dines and no oysters!

dines are okay but also kinda gross.. the spinal column or gut tube or whatever that shows up when you cut a big one in half.... I ate them a handful of times when they were in the mustard sauce because the taste was so strong you couldn't taste the nasty little fishies

oysters are rubber erasers with a gooey center and only good because i remember eating them with my dad late at night watching tv when i was in elementary school

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 17, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

we always ate fresh oysters. smoked oysters are ok, but nowhere near as good as fresh.

oysters are kind of a treat thing or an otherwise not every day thing, dines are an everyday thing

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

oh i wouldn't eat either more than once a month personally but sometimes i need that nasty hit of canned oiled seafood!

(we don't get any fresh seafood in kansas)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I can tolerate raw oysters but that's about it. Cooked oysters have a texture I don't like, and have also given me the worst food poisoning I've ever experienced. Having them from a can doesn't sound appealing.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I can tolerate raw oysters but that's about it. Cooked oysters have a texture I don't like, and have also given me the worst food poisoning I've ever experienced. Having them from a can doesn't sound appealing.

Point of order... *SMOKED* then canned.

Thanks for reading and drain off like 99% of the oil.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a raw and tinned oysters fan but my goto lunch at home will always be dines smooshed on buttery toast.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The Voice of Labor posted:

they call me cheap

they call me easy

but they always come back to me

the costco ones are always boneless, skinless, and flavorless sadly. Works okay as extra protein to add to other things but was incredibly disappointed all around.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Wendigee posted:

oh i wouldn't eat either more than once a month personally but sometimes i need that nasty hit of canned oiled seafood!

(we don't get any fresh seafood in kansas)

Really? I thought there was a local species called prairie oysters?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the canned oysters i've had have always been really gross and unpleasant with a bad flavor and offputting texture

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

BigDave posted:

Really? I thought there was a local species called prairie oysters?

You're thinking of Rocky Mountain Oysters. Wendigee is in Kansas, which isn't quite close enough to the Rocky Mountains.

I've had deep-fried Rocky Mountain Oystets when I visited a friend in Montrose, CO. They're a'ight.

EDIT: just looked it up and TIL prairie oysters are a thing.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

what I wanna know is, where do the chinese buffet places get those mussels that are the size of like, chicken wings

I mean, I'm sure they each contain several drops of mercury apiece or something, but drat.

e: like this:

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I eat a lot of Otter Kingdom and Crown Prince smoked oysters, both in olive oil, they're good. Both brands are packed in S. Korea. I used to buy a bunch of other kinds but when they switched to Chinese sourcing they got bad.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Big Beef City posted:

what I wanna know is, where do the chinese buffet places get those mussels that are the size of like, chicken wings

I mean, I'm sure they each contain several drops of mercury apiece or something, but drat.

e: like this:

:eng101: Most of the ones sold in the US are either fresh from PEI or imported frozen from New Zealand.

Unless you're lucky enough to live in the Northeast and can actually get some fresh mussels from farms in Maine.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yea, thank you.
I can get frozen and fresh! mussels right here in Green Bay WI, as a matter of fact.
But the chinese buffets get these particularly LARGE ones, which I haven't been able to find.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every frozen mussel I've had has been completely full of sand. Don't even need to brush your teeth after. I miss getting fresh from the seafood market or Costco.

Get gulf oysters instead which are fine to cook and decent raw in R months but 100% eating crude oil and they are also obviously different from mussels.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Myron Baloney posted:

Otter Kingdom

Hold up. I need to know a lot more about and possibly visit this.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
you really otter

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

zedprime posted:

Every frozen mussel I've had has been completely full of sand. Don't even need to brush your teeth after. I miss getting fresh from the seafood market or Costco.

Get gulf oysters instead which are fine to cook and decent raw in R months but 100% eating crude oil and they are also obviously different from mussels.

Hamburgers...also good. Something to think about.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Big Beef City posted:

Yea, thank you.
I can get frozen and fresh! mussels right here in Green Bay WI, as a matter of fact.
But the chinese buffets get these particularly LARGE ones, which I haven't been able to find.

Honestly they're probably frozens, Chinese restaurants only bought frozen mussels from us.

I used to work for a fish and seafood wholesaler.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BigDave posted:

:eng101: Most of the ones sold in the US are either fresh from PEI or imported frozen from New Zealand.

Unless you're lucky enough to live in the Northeast and can actually get some fresh mussels from farms in Maine.

We have them on the West Coast, too. Oregon produces a fair amount.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i like my mussels and clams out of a jar not a tin

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
Since I could not find them locally, I ordered some KO cracked pepper 'dines. As someone who considers black pepper as a food group, I loved them. I won't say I liked them more than the KO Meds, but I love them. KO lemon will be my next purchase.

And, as is proper, my first can was eaten with nothing else, just a fork, standing over the sink.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I made a pan bagnat with some French bread, garden tomatoes, basil, garlic, kosher dills, onion, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper and KO dines instead of the usual oil packed tuna. Wrapped tightly in plastic and rested overnight.

Was pretty good but needed more acid. Next one will up the pickle and vinegar percentage.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

i own every Bionicle posted:

I made a pan bagnat with some French bread, garden tomatoes, basil, garlic, kosher dills, onion, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper and KO dines instead of the usual oil packed tuna. Wrapped tightly in plastic and rested overnight.

Was pretty good but needed more acid. Next one will up the pickle and vinegar percentage.

I think I saw that Food Wishes YouTube video a couple days ago. Good to know to be mindful of the ratios.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Some fucker in this house stole my sardines.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Captain Splendid posted:

A damnable offense!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Captain Splendid posted:

Do you have any cats, or cat-like creatures?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

Someone does that to mine too!

Usually it is me though.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I have a growing apocalypse cache of seasons. I probably wouldn't even notice unless they ate 10 cans at a time

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I see KO has a bunch of new flavors. What's the best to try, Dijon mustard, EVOO with lemon, or zesty tomato?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Olive oil with lemon sounds delightful straight up or with pasta. The zesty tomato would go great in my fisherman's shakshouka. I would eat a sardine sandwich made with the Dijon mustard one.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

:smug:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
very good, very good

had a sardine sandwich for lunch, tried the water-packed kind. not my favorite, it might be good in some cases but overall olive oil is king

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'd say how loving awesome that is but you'd get mad

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
gonna need a trip report on those Briosa mackerel fillets

the minerva ones are delish

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

isaboo posted:

gonna need a trip report on those Briosa mackerel fillets

the minerva ones are delish

they threw in the briosa and bela mackerel as freebies, in the drug dealer sense

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Captain Splendid posted:

Ok, I did some thinking and realised it was me the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/5YkvBE-24BA