Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Incrementing model numbers backwards like a boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’s a countdown. Given what they were working with, I’m sure there was a few fiery booms somewhere along the line.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RD-350, a rocket engine that spews pure hydrogen fluoride out the back. Certainly nothing can go wrong with this.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Edit: I love the smell of the odorant. It is garlic.

Sometime in the late 80's National Geographic had a put out an issue focuses on smell, it came with a strip of like a dozen unlabeled scratch & sniff spots + a survey to fill out. In a follow-up they talked about the stats, and noted that one of the odors was a mercaptan warning odor for natural gas, but like 10% of respondents and 30% of older adults had described it as pleasant. Smelled like onion skins imho. They suggested that this be Looked Into, but I'd guess that there's a good financial reason for not making it unambigiously gross. Probably as simple as "an occasional hint of garlic blends in well with kitchen, as opposed to a stove that smells like farts."

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

When the list of biggest non-nuclear explosions came up earlier, I was surprised that the SS John Burke wasn't on it down around #9 or #10. It was an ammunition ship that took a direct hit from a kamikaze in WWII. Also notable because it was caught on camera. Liberty ships carried about 10k ton of cargo, so a decent % of that would have been high explosive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thbQKQ094ho

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1292872115952201728?s=20

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm just tired of telling people on twitter that a) Yes, contaminated AN stored in a warehouse that's on fire next to confiscated illegal fireforks (also on fire, natch) can actually explode, b) no, it didn't take an Israeli missile to set it off, and that blob in your video is probably a bird or some debris, and c) no, this was certainly not a nuke.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Computer viking posted:

I'm just tired of telling people on twitter that a) Yes, contaminated AN stored in a warehouse that's on fire next to confiscated illegal fireforks (also on fire, natch) can actually explode, b) no, it didn't take an Israeli missile to set it off, and that blob in your video is probably a bird or some debris, and c) no, this was certainly not a nuke.

I'm just tired of telling people that the shock pulse from a bulk AN detonation doesn't yield the same damage circles as a unitary TNT blast or a comparably-scaled nuclear blast due to the impulse of the pressure wave. You can't make yield estimation from fireball size. You can't really make yield estimation from straight overpressure effects from the videos that have been released, either.

Like jeez, people, sure it's 300 tons unitary equivalent, but that's not .3kt, nor is it the result of "only 300 tons" going off.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
no see it was an israeli super thermite nano nuke, ignoring that if israeli agents WERE behind this they’d just need to start a fire and let 2700 tons of the material responsible for a dozen other massive industrial disasters do what it does when it catches on fire, that being cause a massive industrial disaster

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It was interesting to see all the wild theories flying around twitter in the immediate aftermath while meanwhile I'm posting "yeah I'm 99% sure that's a fertilizer explosion" and being studiously ignored because that's clearly not wild enough for the world today.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Vando posted:

It was interesting to see all the wild theories flying around twitter in the immediate aftermath while meanwhile I'm posting "yeah I'm 99% sure that's a fertilizer explosion" and being studiously ignored because that's clearly not wild enough for the world today.

That poo poo doesn't get likes or clout.

My extraterrestrial energy weapon theory, on the other hand...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Make your own fun:

https://observatory.db.erau.edu/generators/signs/

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I mean you aren't wrong, if you're inhaling iron vapor it won't be good for you

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ooh thanks, that link is fun for the whole family.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I figured this needed the dog somewhere, but wasn't sure where

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LifeSunDeath posted:

I figured this needed the dog somewhere, but wasn't sure where

:tviv:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

E:

Phy has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Aug 20, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

If I start a new factory job and they ask "How good at you at platforming?" I'm going home.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

By the way, this image link is where automatically generated images are placed.

Every time you refresh this page, you'll see a different picture.

Edit: Oh, seems it only updates if someone presses the random button on the page.

jaken97
Aug 1, 2013

Hell Gem
New form of Nitrogen has been found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxPKuxrrG7A

https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.124.216001

I wonder how explodey this stuff is

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

“Studies of polynitrogen phases are of great interest for fundamental science and for the design of novel high energy density materials.”

So, probably very.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Given that they say it only forms at 1.4 million atmospheres at 4000C+, it'll probably be a while before we find out..........or we'll find out rather quickly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Get Klapotke on the case.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

AAAAAAAAAA

Jesus gently caress that episode hosed me up when I was an literal childe. It was the first and last time I tried to watch that show, and I don't even remember what it was about.

(The PBS affiliate used to show that late-night on Saturdays).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I tried to make a FOOF sign and failed

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

This thread often talked about Command and Control and other rockety stuff, so figured this would go here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzR-uaJSZBo

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

LifeSunDeath posted:

This thread often talked about Command and Control and other rockety stuff, so figured this would go here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzR-uaJSZBo

Jesus, at least it was only for Sidewinders. Although I'm 100% certain the lockout/arm keys for nukes couldn't have been that much more secure.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if you're gonna pick the lock on your missiles while they're in the air/while you're flying the plane/while your trainer is in the rear cockpit I'm pretty sure a better lock won't stop you.

Like it's clearly meant to just stop you shooting them accidentally.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
He has a video on Master LOTO locks, which have probably the best cores Master makes, in plastic bodies with unhardened shackles, because they're not there to make it impossible to access something, but to make it impossible to access a thing without it being obvious.

Sort of the same principle here.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Jesus gently caress that episode hosed me up when I was an literal childe. It was the first and last time I tried to watch that show, and I don't even remember what it was about.
The boy is "infected" with an alien healing nanogene. When arriving on earth the nanogenes scanned the first human it encountered to establish a baseline, which happened to be the injured boy wearing a gas mask. It then incorrectly assumed the gas mask was part of the human and anyone without a mask was missing part of their body.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Jesus, at least it was only for Sidewinders. Although I'm 100% certain the lockout/arm keys for nukes couldn't have been that much more secure.

The Brits used a *bicycle lock* on the WE.177.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2007/11/british-nukes-a/amp

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Uhh holy poo poo the second part of that:

quote:

But an even-more unnerving fact remains. The BBC alleges that British Trident nuclear submarine skippers can still launch their missiles – without any code being sent from their commanders. According to the BBC, the Ministry of Defence said that "the safeguards that other countries built in... were not relevant to British submarines."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, British boomers go out on the honor system because it's theoretically feasible that the Russians could vaporize their NCA before they could send any go codes.

The "Letters of Last Resort" are :stare:-worthy and have supposedly never been seen except by the PMs who wrote them. It's been rumored that Thatcher's was simply "Avenge us."

BIG HEADLINE has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Aug 24, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's been rumored that Thatcher's was simply "Avenge us."

Yeah I'll get right on that *sound of me pissing on Thatchers grave begins*

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Yeah I'll get right on that *sound of me pissing on Thatchers grave begins*

That's the best possible response, but honestly "Avenge us" is pretty loving brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

cakesmith handyman posted:

That's the best possible response, but honestly "Avenge us" is pretty loving brutal.

My response would be a simple paper sheet with the lyrics to Rick Astley's "Never gonna give you up" scrawled on it