Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Spring Roll chat was a little while back, (for the record I like both crispy fried spring rolls, and the non-fried rice paper ones. Will confirm that fresh veggies make a huge difference.

But Spring Roll adjacent, (in a very slight way):

I have always felt un-Australian for this, but I can't stand Chico Rolls. They have always seemed to me to be a mushy, weirdly flavourless yet yucky mockery of a good honest Spring Roll.

I understand the cultural importance of the Chico Roll poster in Fish and Chip shops up and down the country, but I will not buy or eat one, because they are unpleasant to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure Balfours trucks are basically the Australian equivalent of Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BrigadierSensible posted:

Spring Roll chat was a little while back, (for the record I like both crispy fried spring rolls, and the non-fried rice paper ones. Will confirm that fresh veggies make a huge difference.

But Spring Roll adjacent, (in a very slight way):

I have always felt un-Australian for this, but I can't stand Chico Rolls. They have always seemed to me to be a mushy, weirdly flavourless yet yucky mockery of a good honest Spring Roll.

I understand the cultural importance of the Chico Roll poster in Fish and Chip shops up and down the country, but I will not buy or eat one, because they are unpleasant to eat.

I don't think I've ever had a chico roll unless - do they have corn and are mostly this sort of mushy white stuff?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Strumpie posted:

gherkins are nice in moderation with appropriate pairing.

pickled foods in general are for weirdos, we have refrigerators you know. pickled onions, what is wrong with you.

don't get me started on jams! (jelly for the English impaired)

Sounds like someone so doesn't appreciate a good kimchi

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Xelkelvos posted:

Sounds like someone so doesn't appreciate a good kimchi

or a glorious pickled herring

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I picked up a thing of hot dogs today, and I ate two of those bad boys with peanut butter and dill relish

It’s me, I’m the villain

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Relish is great. Chutney is amazing. Pickles are extremely good. All of them. Except the too-sweet gherks I guess but I will eat those anyway.

I also hydrate well and this is why I am full of piss and vinegar

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
As an interesting aside you can clean up piss with vinegar should you ever accidentally piss all over something.

Or deliberately I'm not here to judge.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

You can clean loving anything with vinegar it's OP as gently caress

Woden
May 6, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I don't think I've ever had a chico roll unless - do they have corn and are mostly this sort of mushy white stuff?

That's a corn jack, inferior to both the battered sav and the Chiko Roll.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Bread and butter pickles are good

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

henkman posted:

Bread and butter pickles are good

Bread and butter pickles are dogshit. Pickles should be sour and astringent and sometimes spicy. Their purpose is to cut through the fattiness of BBQ meats, cheeses or sweet sauces. That's what they are there for, to add that tangy, sharp note to whatever you're eating so that it isn't all fats.

What the gently caress do you put a sweet pickle on? Why would you even bother?

I hope you choke on sweet pickles, you freak.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

empty sea posted:

Bread and butter pickles are dogshit. Pickles should be sour and astringent and sometimes spicy. Their purpose is to cut through the fattiness of BBQ meats, cheeses or sweet sauces. That's what they are there for, to add that tangy, sharp note to whatever you're eating so that it isn't all fats.

What the gently caress do you put a sweet pickle on? Why would you even bother?

I hope you choke on sweet pickles, you freak.

on liver pate sandwiches

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Strumpie posted:

pickled foods in general are for weirdos, we have refrigerators you know. pickled onions, what is wrong with you.

Do you keep onions in the fridge?

I dont, and I pickle them with the odd butt of fennel, chiles, cuke, or celery ive got laying around as a sort of mild pickle salad. Its good and I use a combo of cider and sherry vinagre with some regular sugar and bay leaf to balance them out. They are really nice on a leftover brisket sandwich.

naem
May 29, 2011

here is a wholesome dad video about how america’s painful history of race relations helped create BBQ our greatest world contribution

https://youtu.be/GwkRWIwZ43A

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

i got some of this on your say-so forums poster and i will say it is very good ty again

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020
Someone brought up kimchi this morning, and i've thought about it all day since. Going to have to get some now.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Star Me Kitten posted:

Someone brought up kimchi this morning, and i've thought about it all day since. Going to have to get some now.

Same but I don't feel like schlepping all the way to a T&T

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Star Me Kitten posted:

that was me.

not directly, but via the butterfly effect.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm a white guy who grew up in the northern Canadian prairies. I was raised on what might be considered a stereotypical "midwest" diet. Plain everything. Meat & potatoes. If my father felt like something a bit "spicy", he might put some green bell pepper on it.
The way I forced myself / was coerced to expand my diet was going to work for 6 months as a co-op student on a ship where everyone else onboard was from a very different culture from my own. Limited to zero availability of junkfood, and all the meals were cooked for you. The food that was prepared for everyone was the only choice.

Eat this or starve will take away a lot of picky tendencies.

I now enjoy a much wider range of foods than I would have ever tried previously.

Eta: that said, I will never eat goat or goat dairy again.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
make some kimchee its really easy

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

my last bite of my meal must contain every bit of everything that I ate.

OR

the best portion has to be eaten last, so I have longer lasting memory of the good stuff

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Worked with a guy who said he didn't like onions. When I asked him why, he admitted he'd never tried them but he "could just tell."

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smBgwCmXhY8

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel sad for people who don't like onions

But I also get it, I guess.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

ok you have to stop.

:mods:

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
is it because i called you Funky Pee Funky Poo that one time.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Strumpie posted:

I wish you had plat dude.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Star Me Kitten posted:

I wish you had plat dude.

my posting is a form of public self-flagellation in the vein hope i can atone for my sins and the greater the misery the closer i am to an epiphany.
suffer with me my brothers and sisters.

onions have the worst texture, i can't stand it. caramelised they're fine.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Strumpie posted:

my posting is a form of public self-flagellation in the vein hope i can atone for my sins and the greater the misery the closer i am to an epiphany.
suffer with me my brothers and sisters.

onions have the worst texture, i can't stand it. caramelised they're fine.

Yeah I am still going to try and get you plat. With a side of onions!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Strumpie posted:

That was you?!

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/kYy-qJHLD4Q

corn

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wizchine posted:

Worked with a guy who said he didn't like onions. When I asked him why, he admitted he'd never tried them but he "could just tell."

This feels racist against onions. Like he sees a neighbor enjoying a juicy onion covered burger and says "well there goes the neighborhood"

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Thinking about the similarities between kimchi and sauerkraut, I have to wonder if spicy saurkraut is a thing. That sounds delicious.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Jalapeno pickled eggs are surprisingly delicious after 6 or 7 beers. Just make sure youre not sharing a tent.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

B33rChiller posted:

Eta: that said, I will never eat goat or goat dairy again.

I am crazy about goat cheese (a goat cheese pomgranade salad is godly) but yeah goat and goat accessories is just overwhelmingly.... Well, goaty and it's very overpowering.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The_Continental posted:

Jalapeno pickled eggs are surprisingly delicious after 6 or 7 beers. Just make sure youre not sharing a tent.

I’m interested and terrified.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Shaddak posted:

Thinking about the similarities between kimchi and sauerkraut, I have to wonder if spicy saurkraut is a thing. That sounds delicious.

It's definitely a thing and really delicious. You can throw chilies and other herbs/spices in when making sauerkraut.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I tried a Twinkie wiener sandwich tonight. It wasn’t bad at all, just way too rich. One of those things where one is enough

I’ll probably give it another go in a day or two, see if I like it any better once I’m more used to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

bread and butter pickles are good. they remind me of being at my grandmas house. nostalgic. also good: pickled okra and beets. I think i just like to eat vinegar.