Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambs
Feb 11, 2014

haha comments on this are wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AceOfFlames posted:

Psssh. If you want REAL drama and complex themes, you need to go with Transformers:

I already know and love it. Last Stand of the Wreckers got me on board, More Than Meets the Eye kept me there.

I'll always have a soft spot for Furman and his Furmanisms, to the point where I sometimes end up using Furmanisms in my own writing without realizing it, but James Roberts is on a whole other level.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 21, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I love Optimus Prime the political theory nerd

Also seems implied that the Transformers actually picked up democracy from humans. Kinda easy to forget that Optimus Prime is basically a monarch by divine right.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also seems implied that the Transformers actually picked up democracy from humans. Kinda easy to forget that Optimus Prime is basically a monarch by divine right.

Weirdly enough "the planet full of robots pick up things from exposure to Earth culture" is a concept visited a few times. Those are some good books!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

AceOfFlames posted:

Psssh. If you want REAL drama and complex themes, you need to go with Transformers:

:stare: Never thought I'd see Transformers quoting Tony Benn, but we live in strange times.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

Another possibility: Pluto. It definitely has some of the same DNA.

I was gonna say in response to the GDT news that who gives a flying gently caress about a new Pinocchio movie, at least update it and make it a cyber Pinocchio or something and then I realized that would just be Pluto and why the gently caress is GDT not making a Pluto movie.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I have the feeling GDT’s Pinocchio will turn out like Fantastic Mr. Fox and Isle of Dogs: Great cast, gorgeous stop motion animation...and get middling views and be completely forgotten about in a few months.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Spotted my first Tenet review and oooboy

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/aug/21/tenet-review-christopher-nolans-thriller-is-a-palindromic-dud

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Regardless of Tenet's quality, I am happy to hear that Michael Caine is once again back to explain the core premise of this Nolan movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tenet-review-christopher-nolan-long-160022957.html

Got a C- here.

lol if he delayed the overseas release for a middling flick.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Awful lot of Nolan fanboys gonna be real mad

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Hakkesshu posted:

I was gonna say in response to the GDT news that who gives a flying gently caress about a new Pinocchio movie, at least update it and make it a cyber Pinocchio or something and then I realized that would just be Pluto and why the gently caress is GDT not making a Pluto movie.

Sounds like you might dig "Pinocchio in Outer Space"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAB9z7-aGz0

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Tenet mystery im most interested in solving is if John David Washington's beard is real. Dude looks like a GI Joe doll from the 60s.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm guessing bcause his live action adaptation of Monster did not work out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Tenet mystery im most interested in solving is if John David Washington's beard is real. Dude looks like a GI Joe doll from the 60s.

Dude shut up or else he

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nolan rules, pseudo-intellectual film critics trying to prove they’re smarter than the material drool

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I love Nolan’s films because I actually prefer my films be a bit too self-serious but I cannot defend him anymore after he demanded the poors die of the plague so he could be a savior of cinema.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yVPewAybZw

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AceOfFlames posted:

I have the feeling GDT’s Pinocchio will turn out like Fantastic Mr. Fox and Isle of Dogs: Great cast, gorgeous stop motion animation...and get middling views and be completely forgotten about in a few months.

Am I imagining things or did Isle of Dogs have an angry group of people online mad that the movie existed?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Fantastic Mr. Fox is amazing though

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

Isle of Dogs had a bad script. It doesn't matter how good your animation is if your script is as languid and clunky as that. Hopefully GDT has had this thing in the back pocket long enough that he's got an airtight script, but looking at his track record, well... I'm more expecting an Isle of Dogs. The guy makes cool movies, but they're generally uneven.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Taintrunner posted:

Nolan rules, pseudo-intellectual film critics trying to prove they’re smarter than the material drool

Several seemed upset it wasn't funny which lol at that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tenet-review-christopher-nolan-long-160022957.html

Got a C- here.

lol if he delayed the overseas release for a middling flick.

bro have you looked outside? $300,000 is enough for number 1 at the box office

bad boys for life is going to be the smash hit of the year

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I mean whatever your personal feelings on Nolan, there is no way Tenet's ever going to live up to expectations after all the waiting and bizarre bullshit that's built up around it.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

feedmyleg posted:

Isle of Dogs had a bad script. It doesn't matter how good your animation is if your script is as languid and clunky as that. Hopefully GDT has had this thing in the back pocket long enough that he's got an airtight script, but looking at his track record, well... I'm more expecting an Isle of Dogs. The guy makes cool movies, but they're generally uneven.

the Over The Garden Wall guy is writing it! I anticipate good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Len posted:

Am I imagining things or did Isle of Dogs have an angry group of people online mad that the movie existed?

There was some concern that for a movie set in Japan most of the cast was very white.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's about 50/50, the Japanese human characters were (afaik) all voiced by Japanese people, whereas white people pretty much only voiced dogs and one foreign exchange student character.

edit: as I remember it the criticism was that it otherizes Japan pretty hard, acting like it's this mysterious foreign land. Also I think the Japanese in the script and printed on signs and stuff was perfunctory at best and generally pretty stilted, like they put very little effort into the Japanese language in the movie.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wes Anderson is but one in a long tradition of American film directors with a self-professed fascination with Japan yet whose work demonstrates little interest beyond surface-level appropriation of symbols and decor

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

the Over The Garden Wall guy is writing it! I anticipate good.

Huh. Okay then, now I'm fully on board.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

All I know about Tenet is that involves the time manipulation like the King Crimson stand, but has no humour or homo-eroticism to accompany.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

is there a :wom: like in inception? If not my head canon says the theme music is VROOOOOP

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I think all Nolan movies (haven't seen memento) are fairly mediocre. They're Okayish and usually look good but they never grab me very well.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

is there a :wom: like in inception? If not my head canon says the theme music is VROOOOOP

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1295766099313729536?s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

oh yeah lol

that's honestly the most "cool dad" thing he's done considering his resistance to just about everything else hip and fresh

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fartbox posted:

I think all Nolan movies (haven't seen memento) are fairly mediocre. They're Okayish and usually look good but they never grab me very well.
Of the Nolan movies I've seen (missed the most recent couple), the best were his lower-key, more personal ones: Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige. His big-budget actioners feel... empty, somehow. There's a clinical, sterile feel to them that works against any emotional engagement. He's as technically proficient as, say, James Cameron, but it all comes off as almost mechanical.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

Kinda blowing my mind that :wom: is also an ambigram :aaaaa:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Kinda blowing my mind that :wom: is also an ambigram :aaaaa:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
:aaaaa:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Several seemed upset it wasn't funny which lol at that

I love these reviews. All hail Marvel; having dominated the audience, they now move on to the critics.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Klowner posted:

Wes Anderson is but one in a long tradition of American film directors with a self-professed fascination with Japan yet whose work demonstrates little interest beyond surface-level appropriation of symbols and decor

I mean overall the movie is fine, it's occasionally pretty humorous and the plot isn't that bad, as someone who doesn't speak or read Japanese it didn't stand out to me. I think it's something that would have had a good opportunity for another layer so it's a shame he didn't find a Japanese screenwriter with a similar aesthetic to him to collaborate with. I think it would have given some nice dimension and would allow for some bilingual jokes.

Payndz posted:

Of the Nolan movies I've seen (missed the most recent couple), the best were his lower-key, more personal ones: Memento, Insomnia, The Prestige. His big-budget actioners feel... empty, somehow. There's a clinical, sterile feel to them that works against any emotional engagement. He's as technically proficient as, say, James Cameron, but it all comes off as almost mechanical.

Someone on these forums was talking about Interstellar when it came out and made the point that it's really weird how it's a movie essentially about reproducing but it's totally sexless. Not like that it doesn't have people loving, there's like this anhedonic element of sterility suffusing the whole thing because all of his movies are like that.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/zacksnyder/status/1297246597974077441?s=21
lol