Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Payndz posted:

See 'Orbit' for the inevitable result.

That's slanderous. It was Avon, Vill and Orac sniping. God it must be 20 years since I saw that episode and it's stayed with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I reached the end of the 11 era in my rewatch last night and, even though the events leading up to it are still a gigantic mess, I still love Smith’s final episode. Having him spend what he believes are his final years defending a small farm town from every enemy in the universe as he becomes the heart and soul of that town is just so genuinely endearing. His goodbye speech still breaks my heart.

As great as Capaldi was and Whitaker has been, I don’t think I’ll ever stop missing 11 :unsmith:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I reached the end of the 11 era in my rewatch last night and, even though the events leading up to it are still a gigantic mess, I still love Smith’s final episode. Having him spend what he believes are his final years defending a small farm town from every enemy in the universe as he becomes the heart and soul of that town is just so genuinely endearing. His goodbye speech still breaks my heart.

As great as Capaldi was and Whitaker has been, I don’t think I’ll ever stop missing 11 :unsmith:

:hfive: I will always remember when the Doctor was him

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

War Games is great, but could honestly lose 2-4 episodes.

Boo! BOOO!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

11 was fantastic, I really miss him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Big same. I got free HBO Max with my internet package and my first thought was "ooh I can watch Matt Smith again"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

His ending speech was such a wonderfully stark contrast to "I don't wanna go" from 10 (even if 11 still did kind of go through a bit of that himself with Trenzalore)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ten's "I don't want to go" was brilliant, since he had spent his entire incarnation saying "Let's go!" ("Allons y!")

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've uhh

I've never liked the goodbye speeches.

(Except for The Cities Made Of Song one. That one owns.)

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 21, 2020

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The setup is absolutely *perfect* now for the Doctor just to fall down and die without 400 hours of ever-more-maudlin speeches and farewell tours and for it to be a massive gut punch in a way it couldn't have been before.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've uhh

I've never liked the goodbye speeches.

(Except for The Cities Made Of Song one. That one owns.)

Which was recorded via ADR when they found out after filming was complete that it was all ending. Ghost Light was the last thing actually shot for Who.

EDIT: talking of Survival, yesterday was Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, and Anthony Ainley’s birthday.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 21, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Only Nine's goodbye speech worked. Preparing Rose (and the viewer) for the shock that was about to hit. Really wonderful stuff. Ten's was like, 30 minutes of seeing old friends? Eleven wasn't so bad but imaginary Amy was a bit much. Twelves's goodbye wasn't all that great either.

Best ever was Four.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Never seen 12's end. Always felt like it would be a bit too personal as the team were leaving too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rhyno posted:

Only Nine's goodbye speech worked. Preparing Rose (and the viewer) for the shock that was about to hit. Really wonderful stuff. Ten's was like, 30 minutes of seeing old friends? Eleven wasn't so bad but imaginary Amy was a bit much. Twelves's goodbye wasn't all that great either.

Best ever was Four.

The best was Troughton complaining about how he hated every single possible regeneration

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Two through Five all have good outros. Five's is also good because it's just the Master laughing maniacally.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh no, we’re talking about 12’s regeneration. That means I’m obligated to post this. Don’t watch, echoplex, you will absolutely cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZW5tWXvn7A

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Big Finish Presents: The Twelfth Doctor's Continuing Parting Monologue Adventures Series 5

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
12's final episode has issues which largely stem from the fact that his penultimate episode was meant to actually be the final one, but then when Moffat heard Chibnall wasn't starting with a Christmas special he felt like he had to write one to avoid losing the Christmas Day slot, which in the end they did anyway

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

<the TARDIS lands>
The Doctor: ...and again, for the 14th time, be kind. Never ever eat breakfast at the Cafe Gallery in Paris, the croissants are frozen. Remember to tie your shoelaces. Don’t swim on a full stomach. If you find yourself in London 1989, don’t go and see ‘Run for your Wife’. Smile. Wear sunscreen...
<the TARDIS takes off>

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The best was Troughton complaining about how he hated every single possible regeneration

This is the best goodbye. Four has the best moment choosing a costume when he comes out in a clown suit and then sad walks back into the TARDIS in response to Sarah Jane's disapproval, even though Tom is inexperienced enough to break and has half a grin the whole time.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The_Doctor posted:

<the TARDIS lands>
The Doctor: ...and again, for the 14th time, be kind. Never ever eat breakfast at the Cafe Gallery in Paris, the croissants are frozen. Remember to tie your shoelaces. Don’t swim on a full stomach. If you find yourself in London 1989, don’t go and see ‘Run for your Wife’. Smile. Wear sunscreen...
<the TARDIS takes off>

lol yessss

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

2house2fly posted:

12's final episode has issues which largely stem from the fact that his penultimate episode was meant to actually be the final one, but then when Moffat heard Chibnall wasn't starting with a Christmas special he felt like he had to write one to avoid losing the Christmas Day slot, which in the end they did anyway

it's hard to imagine why Moffat apparently cared so much. "oh no not the xmas day early evening schedule we don't want to miss that" says who?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cerv posted:

it's hard to imagine why Moffat apparently cared so much. "oh no not the xmas day early evening schedule we don't want to miss that" says who?

Well there was a time when Doctor Who having that slot was a sign of how prestigious and respected it was. By the time Capaldi ended that had pretty much dried up of course, and now its none existent.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cerv posted:

Having the Christmas day slot is apparently a big deal in the UK.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d imagine it’s also an easy audience as far as ratings go since lots of folks are just sitting at home doing holiday stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Having the Christmas day slot is apparently a big deal in the UK.

Basically everything is shut on Christmas Day, so people are trapped at home, and viewing numbers are high.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Basically everything is shut on Christmas Day, so people are trapped at home, and viewing numbers are high.

At least in America we have Chinese food.

Or we did.

God Christmas is gonna suck this year.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

At least in America we have Chinese food.

Or we did.

God Christmas is gonna suck this year.

oh god my local restaurant probably had to close again

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

oh god my local restaurant probably had to close again

the best local buffet got shut down for HUMAN GODDAMNED TRAFFICKING and just reopened under new ownership at the start of the pandemic. They closed up again in June, probably for good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, you think you know what the worst reason to have your favorite food place to shut down for is...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

You know, you think you know what the worst reason to have your favorite food place to shut down for is...

Just to show I ain't full of poo poo here

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/human-trafficking-concerns-prompted-teppanyaki-grill-raid/531-02357a9a-7d08-47c7-adc8-1aae2645d5a3

The location here was closed for something like 18 months.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No, trust me, I believe you.

Though this is something good to show others. 'Good'

Goddamn. I can't even blame 2020 for that mess

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I know, it was years ago but it's still a weird vibe going there.

Or it was, I haven't had chinese since January.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

I know, it was years ago but it's still a weird vibe going there.

Or it was, I haven't had chinese since January.

Fun fact- I completely forgot we were in the Doctor Who thread until just a moment ago.

Absent mindedly opening this page from my UCP and starting with The Doctor and then you I thought that the Christmas talk bled from Secret Santa stuff in the Transformers thread. I guess this is more appropriate here!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m definitely convinced there’s only 20 posters on this entire forum.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I’m definitely convinced there’s only 20 posters on this entire forum.

Well, 20 cool ones.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Just dropping in to say that Douglas Camfield was the best director Doctor Who ever had

Rhyno posted:

Well, 20 cool ones.

Also all the people who post in this thread

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d imagine it’s also an easy audience as far as ratings go since lots of folks are just sitting at home doing holiday stuff.

It also definitely had that spot long enough to become a tradition, which is not a small thing, especially on an event like Christmas. My whole family would go out of our way to watch it most years, despite only me and my dad watching the show at any other time.

You can swing that on New Years', too, but it's much harder; at least on Christmas you generally know people's schedules and can slot in accordingly. My favorites are 'any given cable channel in the AM hours', because every single one knows that what people want is consistent background noise, so they'll just throw on a marathon of whatever largely entertaining show they've got a lot of episodes of. Discovery over here pretty much always had Mythbusters.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 22, 2020

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I've finished all the missing episodes now, also watched the handful of Hartnell stories I'd not seen yet and figured I'd round out the 60s era with the Peter Cushing Dr. Who movies. I can remember having seen them both on TV when I was a kid, but only really remembered a few scenes from each of them and I thought they'd be a fun campy thing to revisit.

Dalek Invasion Earth 2150AD was a fair enough adaptation of the TV story and it was fun to see a young Bernard Cribbins mucking around, but Dr Who & The Daleks was pretty shite. The version of Ian in it was awful, the Thals looked hilarious and it was also weirdly tame compared to the original. Case in point, it kept the scene where the Thal cut the rope to save Ian and sacrifice himself - but then he landed somewhere safe and just climbed back up? Some of the set designs were fun, but they also have hands-down the worst TARDIS interior of all time.

Incidentally, I'd posted about not having seen Torchwood several months ago and that I'd take the plunge now it's on BBC iPlayer. I've put it off so hard that I've prioritised watching telesnaps, the Cushing movies and the bloody Web Planet instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Voting Floater posted:

Incidentally, I'd posted about not having seen Torchwood several months ago and that I'd take the plunge now it's on BBC iPlayer. I've put it off so hard that I've prioritised watching telesnaps, the Cushing movies and the bloody Web Planet instead.

Given that the alternative is "actually watching Torchwood", I'd continue to stick to this gameplan if I were you. :v: