Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

runawayturtles posted:

Were the calibrated settings on those fairly consistent? If so, can you share them? I know given the variance that they won't be perfect, but there's not much info out there for this model and something should be better than nothing.

I loaded the RTings ICC profile and then manually tweaked from there with HCFR. I don't have the settings for the other ones, but my panel is at:

35 Brightness, 70 Contrast, 50 Sharpness

54 Red, 50 Green, 47 Blue

I do like my screen a little warmer though, so it has a few more clicks on red than the calibration recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's the one, go for it if you can. I'd see if you can find it from elsewhere for a similar price though, that seems like an awful long time to wait.

I can wait. My current monitor isn't broken, just very disappointing and I am a spoiled child.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Paul MaudDib posted:

yup, that's the one

also it'll probably ship before October, Amazon's delivery estimates are usually pessimistic. So be prepared for it to hit your card at some point here.

Thanks, looking at an upgrade of most of my home workspace. Just got a new mouse and keyboard this week, and then over the next two months I'm planning on getting my study repainted and changing out my desk, monitors, and video card (if not my whole PC). Based on the OP's interest, got 2 of these things on backorder for myself.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

What monitor is comparable to the LG 27GL83A but is more in stock?

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Maigius posted:

What monitor is comparable to the LG 27GL83A but is more in stock?

LG 27GL850 is the same but with USB ports
LG 27GN850 is the 2020 model with different stand

These are pretty much interchangeable

Also there's the Lenovo Legion 27 y27q-20 which uses the same panel but has different software, better stand and is boostable to 165 hz (which leads to some bugginess with gsync on 1060, 1070 etc generation of gpus, if there's too big framerate changes the screen goes black for a few seconds) You can also just limit that to 144hz and it works fine.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Can I please get suggestions for a 120/144hz monitor:
At 1080p, with the best colour depth possible?
The same, at 1440p, but only if the final price is <700 CAD?

I'd appreciate it.

E: Looks like the 27GN850 is the one?

Does anyone know if it has VESA compliance? I assume, but I need that.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 22, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The 27GL850 supports 100mm vesa mount yeah.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Hey gang, I recently picked up an ASUS VG27AQ 27 (yes, I know I probably should have gotten the LG that this thread recommends, but alas), and I am using the display port for my connection from my 1080ti. I'm noticing it takes ~10 seconds to wake from sleep - this seems like a common issue with this one. Does anyone here know what might be causing that? I've read that it may be related to deep sleep settings, GSync (My HDR if off), or possibly that the cable provided isn't 2.1. Just thought I'd ask here as I'm having trouble finding solutions on the internet.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Kragger99 posted:

Hey gang, I recently picked up an ASUS VG27AQ 27 (yes, I know I probably should have gotten the LG that this thread recommends, but alas), and I am using the display port for my connection from my 1080ti. I'm noticing it takes ~10 seconds to wake from sleep - this seems like a common issue with this one. Does anyone here know what might be causing that? I've read that it may be related to deep sleep settings, GSync (My HDR if off), or possibly that the cable provided isn't 2.1. Just thought I'd ask here as I'm having trouble finding solutions on the internet.

I can't offer a solution, I'm afraid, but I have an ASUS XG279Q and I've noticed a similarly long boot-up time. Maybe it's just a quirk of that brand?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Jinnigan posted:

I just got an arm swivel mount from Monoprice, which was nice. I ended up having to drill a hole into my desk since my original plan of just clamping it on was prevented by ... well, the shape of my desk. So definitely look into that. Also I need to add like ~2 feet to my HDMI/displayport wires since they were just dropping down to my computer instead of running along the swivel for cable management. Just something to consider.

Mounting with a grommet kit is almost always going to be the best way to mount a monitor on a desk. Clamps can slide off and are generally lovely.

One 3/8”-1/2” hole in your desk and you’re set. Looks better and allows you to reposition your monitor without worrying that you’re going to knock your clamp off. Also clamps can be janky as gently caress or just not work at all depending on the desk.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kragger99 posted:

Because there is no solution as far as I know. It's just something that's been there since the monitor has been available. The work around is to never put your machine to sleep or turn off your computer entirely.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Paul MaudDib posted:

yup, that's the one

also it'll probably ship before October, Amazon's delivery estimates are usually pessimistic. So be prepared for it to hit your card at some point here.

I checked again and Amazon already bumped up their delivery window to September 27th. So that's not too long.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

exquisite tea posted:

I checked again and Amazon already bumped up their delivery window to September 27th. So that's not too long.

Thanks for pointing this out, btw. I'm also in a non-urgent 'i should get a new monitor at some point' market and snapped one up at this price too. Here's hoping it actually ships!

Shows same as you at the moment:
> Arriving Sep 27 - Sep 28

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
In the market for a gaming monitor. I've been using an LG ultrawide 34" 60hz. I have a nvidia 1070, so I thought I might add a 27" 144hz monitor to play games on.

I see the LG 27GL850-B 27" was recently recommended - $489.99

Monoprice has: Dark Matter by Monoprice 27in Gaming Monitor - FHD, 240Hz, 1ms, DisplayHDR 400, AMD FreeSync, Fast IPS-Type AHVA - $299.99

I found out that Nvidia will use freesync monitors:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/nvidia-freesync-how-to-enable-graphics-card-gsync-compatible

Is the LG worth $200 more? Is there another 27-32 inch monitor out there with 144hz that I should look at?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The monoprice is a 1080p monitor, not 1440. I personally wouldn’t want 1080 at 27”.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Kalman posted:

The monoprice is a 1080p monitor, not 1440. I personally wouldn’t want 1080 at 27”.

Thanks I missed that! Do you think a i7-6700 with a GTX 1070 could handle 1440 resolution gaming?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Yes but most titles you aren't going to get super high FPS. And if you want to take full advantage you'll have to upgrade your GPU in the future.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SA Forums Poster posted:

Is the LG worth $200 more? Is there another 27-32 inch monitor out there with 144hz that I should look at?

The Nixeus EDG-27 and -27S are good high-refresh 1440p displays and occasionally go on sale for ~$279-299, but they're very much NOT at that price point right now, and it's a better buy to go with the Amazon LG model.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

tehinternet posted:

Mounting with a grommet kit is almost always going to be the best way to mount a monitor on a desk. Clamps can slide off and are generally lovely.

One 3/8”-1/2” hole in your desk and you’re set. Looks better and allows you to reposition your monitor without worrying that you’re going to knock your clamp off. Also clamps can be janky as gently caress or just not work at all depending on the desk.

I've got a Fully monitor arm clamped to the back of my desk and I want to drill a grommet hole so I can push the monitor a bit further back without bumping the wall behind the desk.

Did you mean 3 3/8th inches or just 3/8ths of an inch? Are you suggesting just drilling a small hole to run just the bolt through? It seems like that might actually reduce wobble even more than having the bolt floating around inside of a 3+" wide hole.

I'm having trouble finding a standard size Grommet hole so I'm interested in what a good choice is if I'm drilling a new hole just to mount a monitor arm to.

Edit: happy to ask in the desk thread if that's a better place for this...

Happy Pizza Guy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 24, 2020

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Most monitor arms will ask for a small hole just big enough for the bolt.

Monitor grommet mounts designed for a full 2" or 60mm grommet do exist, but involve more exotic bolt-through plates. Of course, one could probably DIY something with a slotted steel bar from your local hardware shop. A good design could allow you to use the same hole to hide the monitor cable.

If you have trouble with a monitor arm clamped to the back of your desk for wall-edge reasons, one solution is to clamp the monitor to the side of your desk.

ronya fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 24, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

SA Forums Poster posted:

This is the monitor people are telling you to get.

Essentially the same monitor as the 27GL850. Worth the money. Will almost certainly ship sooner than they say it will.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

ronya posted:

Most monitor arms will ask for a small hole just big enough for the bolt.

Monitor grommet mounts designed for a full 2" or 60mm grommet do exist, but involve more exotic bolt-through plates. Of course, one could probably DIY something with a slotted steel bar from your local hardware shop. A good design could allow you to use the same hole to hide the monitor cable.

If you have trouble with a monitor arm clamped to the back of your desk for wall-edge reasons, one solution is to clamp the monitor to the side of your desk.

The desk has a metal flange on the sides (it's actually the goon-approved Husky standing desk from home depot) so that's a no-go. Good to know about the small hole - it makes sense to me (and it'll be a lot less destructive than drilling a 3" diameter hole for no reason). Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bought a new monitor recently, so of course now Samsung has one that actually looks like a good VA (?!?) instead: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/32--odyssey-g7-gaming-monitor-lc32g75tqsnxza/

Maybe they’ll do a 4K/120 on HDMI 2.1 I can pick up in a couple of years.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The panel performance is good, but the 1000R curve is... extreme

It's not for everyone, I've seen a few reviewers say the curve is just too much for them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

1000R is a pretty serious curve, yeah. I wonder why they went that hard on it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It honestly feels very good to use, now that I've had it for a few weeks.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's because of the other downside of VA, the significant loss of chroma when you go off-axis. If you're willing to pay >50% more and put up with the curve, the performance is extremely impressive.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm itching to do a monitor upgrade from my x34 3440x1440p and thinking about the 48inch lg oled seeing how I'll be grabbing the 3090 so it will have proper hdmi 2.1

Does anyone here have one?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ampere will probably have HDMI 2.1 but we don't actually know for sure yet, probably best to wait 1 week for the announcement before making any moves

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

Ampere will probably have HDMI 2.1 but we don't actually know for sure yet, probably best to wait 1 week for the announcement before making any moves

Oh yeah im in wonderful upside down land (auz) so its not even available here yet so I have time to wait and see the concrete specifications on ampere

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Well I'm enjoying my LG 850, the screen looks great and the move up to 144hz is nice.

I do have two gripes though, the first is that it only has one dp input plus 2 hdmi. HDMI doesn't seem to run at 144hz as easily or at all, it would have been great to have 2 DP.

The second is I've had a few random reboots, one yesterday while fiddling with the hdr settings with no other load on the systen. Maybe it's something to do with having three monitors at different refresh rates but it's a bit lame in this day and age. 5700xt with latest drivers if it matters - has anyone else encountered this?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The latter is almost certainly because of AMD drivers, especially with the 5700 series, they are notoriously poor. The 5700 has one of the highest RMA rates for GPUs in the last year and bad drivers are a significant factor. Also GPUs from both vendors hate hate hate multiple displays at differing refresh rates

The HDMI thing, it could just be the cable, dodgy cables are much more common than most realize, if you can try a different cable that would be a good idea. Bandwidth shouldn't be a problem, HDMI 2.0 can do 2560x1440 at 144hz no problem. I've heard some people say that HDMI cables from the 1.4 era can't do HDMI 2.0 refresh rates but I don't know if that's actually true or not since I've had cables from the early PS3 era run 4K60 just fine.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I tried a 1440p display and decided I'm just too used to 4k to go down, even for 120hz, but I want some of the newer niceties like 10bit black.
So what's a good "I want as much colour depth as possible" 4K at the moment? We're so close to CRT level dark colours again I can smell it.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

And people laughed at me for having a Sony FW900. Yes it took up my entire desk and weighed 92 pounds but the colors, the resolution, gently caress you!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I've got a Fully monitor arm clamped to the back of my desk and I want to drill a grommet hole so I can push the monitor a bit further back without bumping the wall behind the desk.

Did you mean 3 3/8th inches or just 3/8ths of an inch? Are you suggesting just drilling a small hole to run just the bolt through? It seems like that might actually reduce wobble even more than having the bolt floating around inside of a 3+" wide hole.

I'm having trouble finding a standard size Grommet hole so I'm interested in what a good choice is if I'm drilling a new hole just to mount a monitor arm to.

Edit: happy to ask in the desk thread if that's a better place for this...

Yeah, like the other guy had said, you only want the hole about as big as the bolt going through. I use 3/8” because it’s slightly too small for the bolt that came with my mount, I bore the hole a little bit bigger and then insert the bolt through the plate and up into the mount. You’ll be able to move, tilt or rotate your monitors with confidence that you’re not going to have your monitor drop once you’ve got the mount secured.

Common sense but don’t install the monitors onto the mount until the mount is secure. Oh, and if you have a wood desk, once you’ve got it as tight as it can go with your hands, don’t over tighten it with a wrench— you can crack the wood. Once you’ve got it hand tightened, a good turn with the wrench until you get real resistance is more than enough. Most kits will come with a wrench you can use.

Good luck!

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Building my first PC and went 2060S because I like the idea of ray tracing but didn't have the budget or need really to 4k super high settings or anything. Literally have an old garbage Insignia TV as my WFH setup right now so I need a monitor as well. Should I be bothering to try to get something above 1080p, based on the GPU? Still educating myself on response times and refresh rates and stuff and what plays nicely with my card.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GD7H18F?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1
This seems pretty good to me? The curve seems pretty dramatic but it's a nice price. Can post the full PC specs if helpful.

edit: FWIW I'm trying to stay fairly cheap with the monitor, probably max spend $300US

JoeGlassJAw fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 25, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Building my first PC and went 2060S because I like the idea of ray tracing but didn't have the budget or need really to 4k super high settings or anything. Literally have an old garbage Insignia TV as my WFH setup right now so I need a monitor as well. Should I be bothering to try to get something above 1080p, based on the GPU? Still educating myself on response times and refresh rates and stuff and what plays nicely with my card.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GD7H18F?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1
This seems pretty good to me? The curve seems pretty dramatic but it's a nice price. Can post the full PC specs if helpful.

edit: FWIW I'm trying to stay fairly cheap with the monitor, probably max spend $300US

A 2060 Super is pretty comparable to a 2070, and should be fairly competent at 1440p - I considered getting one when I upgraded my monitor. I eventually went for a 2070 Super instead, but that was partly because I wanted a better chance for it to last me a couple years.

That said, it really depends on the games you play, your expectations for graphics detail, and what you consider an acceptable framerate. For me the 2060 Super was right on the borderline, and the 2070 Super a bit past it. For you the 2060 Super at 1440p might be more than enough, or it might be nowhere near adequate, depending on your needs and expectations.

I will say that after being at 1440p going back to 1080p would feel like a significant downgrade.

I'm not sure what the most current market pricing is but I got my 1440p monitor for around $300 and been happy with it, but the pandemic has made the monitor market a bit nuts.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

IMO a 2060S is easily a 1440p GPU, certainly not max settings in demanding games but that'd be my target. That said, right now the value buy is the LG 27GL83A which at $380 is out of your budget. There's always the old trusty Nixeus EDG 27 v2 but even that is $330 now and the difference in the stand, build quality, and performance make it a worse buy than the LG IMO. If you don't mind staying at 1080p then there are several 24" 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors such as the Asus VP249QGR, the Acer VG240Y Pbiip, and AOC 24G2 that can be had close to $150 at times. My argument is that your monitor will easily be the longest lasting component you have, and it's not the place to skimp.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Thanks to you both. I'm not a super competitive gamer; I play some Modern Warfare with friends but I'm trash and I just do it for fun so I'm not counting frames or anything. I'll go forward with the confidence of pulling off 1440p; unfortunately that thread-recommended LG seems either very out of stock or more than that (lowest price buying option on Amazon in the US right now is $480). I could talk myself into eating $380 with how well reviewed it's been in here but looks like most offerings on it are a bit high atm. I'll try to scratch around over the next few days and see if I can find it for a reasonable price. Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's almost always out of stock but will almost certainly ship much sooner than Amazon says it will. Set up an alert with nowinstock and it should pop up soon. It's not even a covid thing, LG is very, very weird with monitor stocking across the board. It's not like normal consumer products and I don't know why.