Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I think honestly it might have just come down to the Caps never really getting a consistently good goaltender--that might have been what made the difference. If that's somehow just it then I consider it a mildly disappointing success only in the sense that that one good one could have made it a lot better. But I don't know. It's really too bad that Kolzig wasn't around in this era. I remember we were stuck with Theodore who everyone thought was bad. I don't remember all of them. Of course Holtby was good in the cup year but seemed kind of average at best in other years. Then we had Varlamov who we thought was maybe good but dumped I think due to injury concerns or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Kawalimus posted:

Ultimately was the Ovechkin era a success or a failure for the Capitals? It's a tough call for me to say. Because of course you have the Stanley Cup year which was easily the best time in Capitals history. But they never even made the conference finals any other year. I think you have to consider it a failure for the most part looking at the whole of the years rather than just that one and not getting too enamored with just one success. The team failed to build a core that didn't consistently get bounced out of the playoffs despite having arguably the best goal scorer in NHL history.

I know I will be sneered at for this but I think you have to look at these Capitals teams and try to avoid structural flaws in the future that might lead to this. I'm not even saying they needed more than one cup for it to have been a success, just that NEVER making the conference finals outside of one year to me points to some inherent flaw that the team never corrected.

It was a success. No team is perfect and makes it to the conference finals every year or wins the championship.

I just watched 8 years of the rangers getting to the playoffs and not winning a cup, getting to the conference finals twice and a cup finals once and they never won the cup and it was a pretty successful run.

In closing, shut the gently caress up and enjoy your goddamn recent cup win.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

In closing, shut the gently caress up and enjoy your goddamn recent cup win.

No I can look at things from multiple perspectives. Just because I say that doesn't mean I don't have great memories of that cup run and love it. Just like I think the 2000 Ravens were not that great of a team and lucked out in who they faced but also were great in the ways they needed to be and it's still the year that hooked me into being a fan.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

There are like 2 teams that I would say were definitely more successful than the Capitals since Ovechkin started: the Penguins and the Blackhawks. I'd say Boston is pretty similar even though they made a few more deep runs than Washington. And even though LA won twice they are boring as poo poo and missed the playoffs a bunch so I wouldn't say they were more successful.

Like even in Washington's "bad" years they would still win the division or get second in the division. They missed the playoffs one time since they weren't just rebuilding. It's a massive success that is going to be over soon unfortunately.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Kawalimus posted:

No I can look at things from multiple perspectives. Just because I say that doesn't mean I don't have great memories of that cup run and love it. Just like I think the 2000 Ravens were not that great of a team and lucked out in who they faced but also were great in the ways they needed to be and it's still the year that hooked me into being a fan.

You got to watch a generational talent in Ovechkin for 10+ years and won a cup. Just don't watch sports if you're going to be this glum, Jesus Christ.

My team's won 1 cup in 80 years and I can look at the Rangers recent runs with Hank as a success.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

You got to watch a generational talent in Ovechkin for 10+ years and won a cup. Just don't watch sports if you're going to be this glum, Jesus Christ.

My team's won 1 cup in 80 years and I can look at the Rangers recent runs with Hank as a success.

Like I said I can have multiple perspectives.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
All of those President's trophies in the rafters in DC count for something right?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

All of those President's trophies in the rafters in DC count for something right?

Yes I am a fan of that. Unfortunately it's hard to really get excited over that cause in fan culture those count against you if you don't also win the cup. I always thought it would be better if people weighted the President's Trophy and Stanley Cup kind of equally. And I try to do this but people just laugh at me. Like if you say "Well we had this many President's Trophies" and people are like well you lost the cup. But really they should be equally valued. But the Stanley Cup is more dramatic so that draws the attention away. And teams who win the President's and Stanley should be considered really legendary and maybe have a third trophy just to commemorate it. Just like how I think there should be a special trophy and ring in football for a team that goes undefeated.

So I try to care about those just as much but others don't go along.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Lol I was kidding

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

Lol I was kidding

I wasn't. I think the President's Trophies should absolutely count for a lot. But sports has become this thing where nobody cares about what you do in the regular season if you don't win the championship even though failing is built into postseasons. It would be a lot easier to look at the Ovechkin era as a huge success if those President's trophies were valued the way they should be but the drama of the Stanley Cup changes things.

Just a few posts earlier someone is like "Well we were in first or second in the division all the time" to weight our success. So if that's a symbol of success why shouldn't the President's Trophies be just as much and even more because it's the whole league? It doesn't make sense and the trophy is unfairly maligned. Especially like others said in the era where teams are a lot closer in quality. So winning multiples of those should mean something.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 22, 2020

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Bring it in, buddy. I got you. :glomp:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Some of y’all should read some of Kawalimus’ posts on the Ravens sometimes. :allears:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I didn't give a gently caress about the playoffs the year the Caps won but I heard they were lucky frauds who faced one of the worst runners-up of the last 20 years and also gently caress you, sore winner eating delicious sweet and tangy sour grapes

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

fartknocker posted:

Some of y’all should read some of Kawalimus’ posts on the Ravens sometimes. :allears:

I haven't and I refuse. As a lifelong Browns fan, gently caress everything about the Ravens.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Flyinglemur posted:

As a lifelong Browns fan

Bring it in, buddy. I got you. :glomp:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kawalimus was the first poster I put on ignore

Worth it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Fellas, is it a failure to win a Stanley Cup?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Escape Goat posted:

Answer: obviously yes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Flyinglemur posted:

As a lifelong Browns fan,

I'm pretty sure this meets the definition of "self harm".

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Escape Goat posted:

Yes, because then unless you lucked out with a previous trade, you aren't going to get the #1 overall pick, and then how are you going to win a Stanley Cup.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Kawalimus posted:

I think honestly it might have just come down to the Caps never really getting a consistently good goaltender--that might have been what made the difference. If that's somehow just it then I consider it a mildly disappointing success only in the sense that that one good one could have made it a lot better. But I don't know. It's really too bad that Kolzig wasn't around in this era. I remember we were stuck with Theodore who everyone thought was bad. I don't remember all of them. Of course Holtby was good in the cup year but seemed kind of average at best in other years. Then we had Varlamov who we thought was maybe good but dumped I think due to injury concerns or something.

You've got Hunter Shepard now, so that problem is actually solved.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Kawalimus posted:

Ultimately was the Ovechkin era a success or a failure for the Capitals? It's a tough call for me to say. Because of course you have the Stanley Cup year which was easily the best time in Capitals history. But they never even made the conference finals any other year. I think you have to consider it a failure for the most part looking at the whole of the years rather than just that one and not getting too enamored with just one success. The team failed to build a core that didn't consistently get bounced out of the playoffs despite having arguably the best goal scorer in NHL history.

I know I will be sneered at for this but I think you have to look at these Capitals teams and try to avoid structural flaws in the future that might lead to this. I'm not even saying they needed more than one cup for it to have been a success, just that NEVER making the conference finals outside of one year to me points to some inherent flaw that the team never corrected.

I think it will historically be looked at as a success but a measured success that could have been much more- kind of how Wings fans view the Babcock yeas

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Winning the Stanley Cup was one thing, but raising the bar in celebrating a Stanley Cup win was the definition of success. Sure, the Penguins won a cup, but did they really *win the cup* before Phil Kessel ate hot dogs out of it to mock a lovely sports journalist?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

grack posted:

I'm pretty sure this meets the definition of "self harm".

Also Indians and Cavs (Pre-2000)

The Pens are all I have :(

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
winning the cup is the second greatest hockey accomplishment, only surpassed by beating a team with their 42 year old zamboni driver as your goalie

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Big Leg posted:

winning the cup is the second greatest hockey accomplishment, only surpassed by beating a team with their 42 year old zamboni driver as your goalie

Justin Williams is the real GOAT

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

Winning the Stanley Cup was one thing, but raising the bar in celebrating a Stanley Cup win was the definition of success. Sure, the Penguins won a cup, but did they really *win the cup* before Phil Kessel ate hot dogs out of it to mock a lovely sports journalist?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's gross and he's dumb.

Real champs dance shirtless in bars, with class.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

eXXon posted:

I didn't give a gently caress about the playoffs the year the Caps won but I heard they were lucky frauds who faced one of the worst runners-up of the last 20 years and also gently caress you, sore winner eating delicious sweet and tangy sour grapes

It was a meaningful and strong win. They were down in every series, beat the Penguins and Lightning, and never lost when they had three wins.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The Caps will always be a failure of a team so long as they continue to be the Washington Capitals, a group of morons and goons freeloading on the effort of an enthusiastic supporter of Russian ethno-nationalism.

But also, they have one more Cup than the modern Leafs.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

That was fast.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1297547950923620352

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
https://twitter.com/samanthajpell/status/1297549059100737537?s=21

Good.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Kawalimus posted:

Goaltending has been a big strength of the team actually. Varlamov --> Vokoun --> Neuvirth --> Holtby --> Samsonov is like... 11 years of .910+ SV% goaltending.

Holtby himself is also a four-time All-Star and Vezina winner who was consistently fantastic outside of this year and (ironically) the Cup-winning year.

I don't understand this exercise of redefining what success means so you can be disappointed about something, but I guess I forget who I'm talking to.

Makes sense.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
If they're going to fire Reirdon than they should also fire whoever made the decision to not re-sign Trotz.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Maybe get a coach who’s had some success at the NHL level this time instead of gambling on another first timer.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Flyinglemur posted:

If they're going to fire Reirdon than they should also fire whoever made the decision to not re-sign Trotz.

Can’t fire owners.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Necessary

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
After so many years of wet farts in the playoffs the Caps finally got Trotz, who was widely considered to be a great coach and then win the cup that year. Then the owner immediately decides coaching isn’t actually important and lets him walk and goes back to hiring no-namers

It’s becoming blatantly obvious recently that billionaires aren’t billionaires because they’re that much smarter than everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Not gonna fix the problem of an aging core