Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

If I'm still on iOS12.0.1 am I just boned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

This is the error you get if you trigger the post timer limit in QCS. This doesn't have anything to do with image uploads, though.

It's strictly a cosmetic issue, though.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
EDIT: NVM I just found the scraping part of the awful.app github repo. Reading that.

How does the iOS app get the data on posts?

Reason:

I’d like to make a scraper that walks through the resume/interview thread and compiles advice given on resumes so people can see more resumes and feedback.

My plan is to make a real dirty selenium scraper that does it once by finding posts with images and finding replies that quote that post...then manually pruning.

Is there an easier way?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 19, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

What's wrong with HTTP requests and just parsing the HTML returned?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

PIZZA.BAT posted:

What's wrong with HTTP requests and just parsing the HTML returned?

Eh that’s pretty much the same. I wanna do it once and python/selenium is quick to write for me.

Not as fast as if there’s an api endpoint or something though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CarForumPoster posted:

an api endpoint or something

lmfao

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

tbh i felt silly posting that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi not sure if this is possible but it would be awesome if we could save videos that were posted.

Like these

It would be nice to long press and save or share

Unless there is something I missing?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

CarForumPoster posted:

EDIT: NVM I just found the scraping part of the awful.app github repo. Reading that.

How does the iOS app get the data on posts?

Reason:

I’d like to make a scraper that walks through the resume/interview thread and compiles advice given on resumes so people can see more resumes and feedback.

My plan is to make a real dirty selenium scraper that does it once by finding posts with images and finding replies that quote that post...then manually pruning.

Is there an easier way?

The actual answer is that as far as I know, awful doesn’t do much scraping of the posts themselves. It uses Moustache templates to hammer the markup into a more mobile friendly format, then applies its own stylesheets to finish the formatting and bridges between the Swift code with JavaScript. Most other parts of the forums are scraped though, mostly by manually parsing the document tree.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

carry on then posted:

The actual answer is that as far as I know, awful doesn’t do much scraping of the posts themselves. It uses Moustache templates to hammer the markup into a more mobile friendly format, then applies its own stylesheets to finish the formatting and bridges between the Swift code with JavaScript. Most other parts of the forums are scraped though, mostly by manually parsing the document tree.

I spent about and hour tonight and got decently well along. I’ll have to figure out how I want to display and store it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

CoreData has a couple documented issues in that regard (pokeyman, et al, pp 80-84)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Hi not sure if this is possible but it would be awesome if we could save videos that were posted.

Like these

I’d like it if quoting those videos didn’t break horizontal scrolling.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
Embedding of Twitter seems to have broken in rendering everything but the text again

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It was working fine for me as of a minute or two ago. Chances are something messed up on Twitter’s end when you were browsing.

Edit: I’ve had VPNs mess with that before, might want to check that if you’re running one.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
Sorta assumed it was twitters fault, it worked yesterday and no new update has happened yet.
I don’t use a vpn where I am right now

fadderman fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 20, 2020

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
it was twitter.. all links broke for a minute

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Twitter still weird or broken but it’s not just in the app so dunno what’s up with that

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Twitter itself was serving up blank images to me earlier today. Straight from their website, desktop browser.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

The_Doctor posted:

Erm. How can I fix this?

Someday I'll fix it, honest. (Happy 3rd birthday to this issue in the issue tracker!)

Sandwolf posted:

Minimum is currently set to iOS 12.2. Are you stuck on 12.0.1? I don't think I have a good reason not to put it at 12.0, I just usually set it to the latest minor version in hopes of fewer bugs.

MarcusSA posted:

Like these

A fair request, and I don't think you're missing anything. I'll add it to the list!

carry on then posted:

The actual answer is that as far as I know, awful doesn’t do much scraping of the posts themselves.

I've thought about trying to make an HTML to BBcode parser just for fun. No idea what the point would be, but I'm sure we could find some excuse to crowbar it in!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pokeyman posted:

I've thought about trying to make an HTML to BBcode parser just for fun. No idea what the point would be, but I'm sure we could find some excuse to crowbar it in!

That sounds like absolute hell. Markup parsers are like #3 behind date/time and security for "good god no man use a library for the love of christ" in my estimation.

Though if there isn't such a library for Obj-C, uhhh

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Data Graham posted:

That sounds like absolute hell. Markup parsers are like #3 behind date/time and security for "good god no man use a library for the love of christ" in my estimation.

Though if there isn't such a library for Obj-C, uhhh

Writing an HTML parser for Awful was a blast, so I can only assume the same about writing another parser, even if this time there's no specification, available test suite, or intended use case!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Would let the app do “just quote selected text”, at least, which would be nice.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

pokeyman posted:

Minimum is currently set to iOS 12.2. Are you stuck on 12.0.1? I don't think I have a good reason not to put it at 12.0, I just usually set it to the latest minor version in hopes of fewer bugs.

I’m on an old iPhone 6 so I’m afraid how much of my storage going up will go, I only have about a gig free storage. It doesn’t seem to cause too many issues, but with the recent hiccup that caused big issues, every so often the app stalls out and I have to fullblown reinstall to fix it.

e; oh and dark mode stalls it out quicker

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 22, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

astral posted:

Just a heads-up that I plan to fix the thing where the forums are turning the 'original breadcrumbs' navigation into the 'redesign breadcrumbs' navigation with the fancy hover menu using javascript for some reason instead of just outputting the redesigned version to begin with.

:siren: If you have a third-party app or script that relies on the current breadcrumbs structure sent in the initial document you may need to alter it! :siren:

Tentatively, the goal will be for the forums to spit out HTML nearly identical to the result of the JS, but we'll see how well that goes.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Thank you, appreciate it!

I think this particular change won't cause Awful.app any problems. Appropriately broad selectors ahoy.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Thank you, appreciate it!

I think this particular change won't cause Awful.app any problems. Appropriately broad selectors ahoy.

Glad to hear. Also purging that hidden globalmenu div at the top, and I can't imagine anything would rely on that existing* but dropping a note just in case.

*SA's mobile.js (part of the 'mobile stylesheet') relied on it existing. :gonk:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

astral posted:

Glad to hear. Also purging that hidden globalmenu div at the top, and I can't imagine anything would rely on that existing* but dropping a note just in case.

*SA's mobile.js (part of the 'mobile stylesheet') relied on it existing. :gonk:

No globalmenu usage here.

And sorry for my tiny contribution to the horrorshow of mobile.js, which was answering a couple of "how do I do X" questions with answers other than "stop trying to make a 'mobile site'".

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like a moron but why can’t I upload GIFs? It goes right to non animated PNGs

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
There's something strange on an iPhone (6s, iOS 13.6.1) showing the Leper's Colony (or Rap sheets). I didn't have a problem with these on an iPad, but check out how Owlofcreamcheese's 3day is showing up (and everyone else on this page).

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

I feel like a moron but why can’t I upload GIFs? It goes right to non animated PNGs

Tbh I didn’t even know you could upload photos of any kind straight to sa. I use Imgur to upload and then just grab the link and Timg it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

teen witch posted:

I’ve tried a few ways people have suggested but never got it to work with awful :shrug:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Very small bug; I made a post with an image in it, went back to edit the post and the img tags had turned to timg tags - I had to check I hadn't hit quote instead of edit, nope.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Believe that’s done on purpose above a certain image size.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, that’s a feature, not a bug.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It can also be toggled off in Settings.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Diabolik900 posted:

It can also be toggled off in Settings.

huh, off on my phone but on on my ipad. Thanks for the info.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Did something change with the links for quotes? When I click a quote to go back to the linked post it’s not working correctly anymore. It looks like it goes to the latest unread post on the page instead.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Sandwolf posted:

I just upgraded from 12.4.1 for this reason. Hate the changes in 13 to Mail and Health so far but worth it to have Awful back.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The noseen=1 stuff has shattered some stuff when it comes to following quote/lepers colony links in a way that I’m having a hard time explaining because it breaks my brain. Basically it’ll make following quotes in a thread that has new unread posts do the unread posts instead, and hitting previous posts is broken. I haven’t been able to reliably replicate it and when it’s going on I’m too :psyduck: to really tell exactly what it’s doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Any thoughts towards adding user notes?