Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Roman posted:

my only real problem with him was that he made this face constantly

And in that spirit Bale Batman had his mouth breather voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mandrel posted:

I was thinking about this while watching the Burton ones again last night for the first time in a while. Obviously it was a long time ago and the need echo chamber didn’t quite exist yet, and I do remember people being outraged at the Keaton casting, but I don’t remember people being mad about all the dudes Burton’s Batman kills in cold blood. Like, honestly in ways much worse and more deliberate than Snyder’s Batman to me. It’s been a minute, but iirc Batfleck’s Batmobile uses guns in that one chase primarily to clear a path with no regard for the likely collateral damage, and he lets those dudes blow up to save Martha.

In the 89 movie not only does he straight up pop miniguns out of the batwing which he then uses to open fire directly on Joker’s parade float surrounded by gothamites, but he remote drives the Batmobile into that factory full of Joker’s men, comically drops a huge explosive at their feet (WITH A COMEDIC BEAT), and then watches as the entire place is incinerated, presumably killing everyone inside. There’s also that moment in the factory where he just vanishes with a weird grin for some reason allowing Joker to shoot Lieutenant Not-Bullock dead, only to reappear and continue beating him.

In Returns I vaguely remember Batman grinning before shoving that dude with a bomb down a manhole and nonchalantly walking away from the subsequent explosion, which was very cool but feels like dorks would pitch a fit if Snyder’s Batman had done that. Maybe I’m wrong and nerds did care about this stuff at the time and I just didn’t know any of them.

Side note: I love Michael Keaton and acting wise thought he was fine but that casting choice still makes those movies hilarious to me. He’s such a unassuming skinny little nerd who Burton somehow managed to make look even smaller and less imposing than he already is even when he’s in costume. He’s looking up at Kim Basinger in some shots. Nicholson’s Joker looks like he has about 50 lbs on him. That opening scene in 89 when he just appears and stands there like a dork with his cape in the air, gets shot and crumples over, then stands up and just sticks his cape in the air again while these two thugs probably each twice his size scream in terror is so loving funny

Honestly I think you can point a huge amount of that at Batman: The Animated Series which basically defined Batman for a generation and probably continues to define Batman even if people aren't aware of it. Comic fans were obviously aware of the stuff but it was B:TAS that put such emphasis on certain traits of the character that they linger to this day. You can go outside the TAS mold but the further outside it you go the more you're likely to see pushback even from people too young to have watched TAS when it was new. It's hard to define just how much of what people view Batman as is owed to that one TV show.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Crackbone posted:

If you're in the US, :laffo: at the thought of theaters being open in two months.

lol Austin TX just opened theaters this weekend and the showings all sold out. we're hosed here man

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There was this thing from back then:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I think you can point a huge amount of that at Batman: The Animated Series which basically defined Batman for a generation and probably continues to define Batman even if people aren't aware of it. Comic fans were obviously aware of the stuff but it was B:TAS that put such emphasis on certain traits of the character that they linger to this day. You can go outside the TAS mold but the further outside it you go the more you're likely to see pushback even from people too young to have watched TAS when it was new. It's hard to define just how much of what people view Batman as is owed to that one TV show.

that’s probably true

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

lol Austin TX just opened theaters this weekend and the showings all sold out. we're hosed here man

gently caress this dumb earth.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

This would make sense, as I’m someone who never watched the animated series and so came to that sort of presentation of the character much later in life (never watched the whole series, probably never will, I don’t think I finished Mask of The Phantasm until I was an adult). Literally didn’t know Hamill was The Joker until, god, probably the early 2000s and someone told me so. And I don’t really have any hang ups about Batman’s depictions. Didn’t really see any Superman media until later in life, too, although I had an action figure of him I was very fond of.

But I can see that/those (if we consider the Timm Superman series as potentially having a similar effect), as an anchor of weekday afternoon kid’s programming, having a very heavy pull on people’s perceptions of a character and what the character does and represents. The shows and movies that were your childhood routine definitely help define how you’ll view certain things.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

In the beginning of Batman Returns he also uses the exhaust from the Batmobile to set a goon on fire.

I think the point about TAS is pretty accurate. I remember watching some reaction videos for BvS and a lot of the commentary around Batman revolved around how accurate he was (or wasn’t) to TAS.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spacebump posted:

I can't figure out how they are going to make the Snyder Cut fill out 4 hours.

Say 1 hour and 30 minutes are what we got in the film. (with shots by Snyder instead of his reshot/worse shots ) Maybe an hour goes to Cyborg and Flash scenes (with Cyborg getting more time than the Flash.) What fills out the extra hour and 30 minutes?

It's known there's already one 30-minute subplot that isn't part of the Cyborg/Flash stuff. You'd be surprised how much of a movie sometimes winds up on the cutting room floor to make a cinematic release. If Snyder had been aiming for a 150-minute cut he could easily have wound up with 50-75 minutes that wouldn't have made it in. Turning the movie into a mini-series means he can add all of it back in, even stuff that wouldn't normally made it into a director's cut. Factoring in that it's a mini-series which presumably will have intro and outro credits and possibly a brief recap on each episode, that's pushing four hours.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

It's also not unprecedented, they did the same with The Hateful Eight extended version. Four 1 hour episodes

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
While the Rock being Black Adam is cool and all, I really don’t want to see him bring his “brand” into it. I didn’t think Shazam was that great either but I hope Black Adam goes for a different feel. Even if it won’t neatly fit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gatts posted:

While the Rock being Black Adam is cool and all, I really don’t want to see him bring his “brand” into it. I didn’t think Shazam was that great either but I hope Black Adam goes for a different feel. Even if it won’t neatly fit.

I can't really imagine what that movie is going to be like and how the Rock really plays out there because apparently Black Adam committed genocide. Like, maybe they just remake the second third or Apocalypto and then just plop the Rock in there wrecking poo poo, but even that sounds kinda problematic.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jedit posted:

It's known there's already one 30-minute subplot that isn't part of the Cyborg/Flash stuff. You'd be surprised how much of a movie sometimes winds up on the cutting room floor to make a cinematic release. If Snyder had been aiming for a 150-minute cut he could easily have wound up with 50-75 minutes that wouldn't have made it in. Turning the movie into a mini-series means he can add all of it back in, even stuff that wouldn't normally made it into a director's cut. Factoring in that it's a mini-series which presumably will have intro and outro credits and possibly a brief recap on each episode, that's pushing four hours.
Snyder was joking on a podcast that everyone knows he makes really long movies. He said “a shot description that says Victor runs down the field and scores a touchdown, I could turn that into a 5 - 10 minute scene easily.”

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Grendels Dad posted:

I can't really imagine what that movie is going to be like and how the Rock really plays out there because apparently Black Adam committed genocide. Like, maybe they just remake the second third or Apocalypto and then just plop the Rock in there wrecking poo poo, but even that sounds kinda problematic.

Yeah but it depends, they’re apparently reforming him in the comics where it may not have really been him and clear his name and such. That could be part of the movie where he’s a anti hero blamed for something. I’m getting scorpion king vibes.

In other ways Black Adam reminds me of Namor. Namor is a heck of a fun character.

On the other hand what you describe could have been awesome if it was an Apocalypto type movie.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

just looked it up, IMDb has Keaton listed at 5’9”. there is absolutely no chance that is accurate. he’s a tiny, slight little manlet

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gatts posted:

Count me as someone who prefers the Alien Knives design of Steppenwolf. He looks much more intimidating. Plus Superman and he going at it is a great shot.

Also while it is obvious there's a long way to go for the special effects, I do feel like Darkseid design is a bit lackluster. On one hand I dare say it looks like a young Darkseid but maybe it's because I prefer a bit more bulkiness and physical intimidation in a God of Death. Maybe because the cartoons and comic book have that sort of look to him.

EDIT: Ok, nevermind, it's hard to describe. Because he's clearly beefy but something about it is off. Perhaps it just needs finished effects. I do like the Omega Symbol on him though,.

I think it actually is young Darkseid. I keep people saying he's Uxas which is apparently his pre-Darkseid name

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Just learned this is Colin Farrell as Penguin in the teaser

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think it actually is young Darkseid. I keep people saying he's Uxas which is apparently his pre-Darkseid name

Yeah basically all the New Gods have "normal" names but if they impress Heggra (sp?) enough then they get super powered up and get to choose from a pool of god names. Darkseid was the existing god name he chose because he was all about tyranny and ruthless conquest and such.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Usually when I think of black adam I think of him being this regal, imposing figure, and the rock wasn’t really bringing that in his narration so there’s going to be a disconnect for me. Let’s see if I get over that. The JSA is going to be in the movie, might be hype

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Roman posted:

That's clearly Richard Kind.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Roman posted:

I believe you'll find that's a typo and it's actually Norm McDonald.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Adun posted:

I'm excited for the movie but there's no chance it'll be judged as a commercial success so I'm even more excited for the next Batman movie when they finally realized they don't have to make everything so depressing

It’s the latest instalment of one the most famous franchises in the world that’s directly aping the aesthetic of its most successful entry that made a literal billion dollars.

If industrial civilisation still exists in 2021, it’s making money.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 24, 2020

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
So, I watched the Batman trailer again. Dunno why people keep saying it’s set in the 90’s (music aside). You can see two smart phones and one of the goons is filming batman beating that guy on his iPhone.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
The batman was reported to be set in the 90's , but evidently that changed .
It is intresting that they managed to make such a compelling trailer with only part of the movie even filmed .

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

admataY posted:

The batman was reported to be set in the 90's , but evidently that changed .
It is intresting that they managed to make such a compelling trailer with only part of the movie even filmed .

It looks like they reuse the first scene a few times.

Guy is murdered
Police check the area
Cat woman robs the place

The funeral also looks like it has two parts:

Funeral has car smash through with a bomber with Bruce Wayne.
sometime later, Batman shows up to try and dismantle bomb (can even see the police bomb robot)

Eararaldor fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 24, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole thing of how Superman can't just throw Darkseid in jail reminds me of this scene, which presents exactly that problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyILB1cVS7g&t=206s

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm curious to see how effectively Snyder handles something like that in Justice League if it's touched upon. Like the anti-life equation is less that people die because of you and more that their will is subsumed to them dying for you and you being the only reason for which they exist and how that lack of personal identity is antithetical to sentient life and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 24, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Eararaldor posted:

It looks like they reuse the first scene a few times.

Guy is murdered
Police check the area
Cat woman robs the place

The funeral also looks like it has two parts:

Funeral has car smash through with a bomber with Bruce Wayne.
sometime later, Batman shows up to try and dismantle bomb (can even see the police bomb robot)

Please please please please let this be the third movie to have "some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" even if Adam West was the only one to actually say it out loud.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
ugly Collin Farrell owns

Also, i feel bad for Alex Winter. twitter sucks

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Puzzle nerds have solved the code in the card in the batman trailer
https://twitter.com/crypticcracking/status/1297630422889828354

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Don't really need to be a nerd to get the answer to a joke like that

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Sweet. Can't wait for the scene now where Pattman reads the riddle aloud so I can yell out the answer in the theatre.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
"'He lies still.' Hmm, still, still...I have it! The Riddler is holed up in the old Stillwater processing plant!"

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
What about the obvious owl sounds and owl picture on the card?

Disappointed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

"'He lies still.' Hmm, still, still...I have it! The Riddler is holed up in the old Stillwater processing plant!"

"You sold a nuclear submarine no questions asked to a Mr. Pen G. Winn?"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I watched Superman III (1983). I thought the first half was better than a lot of Superman I or II. Then it turned terrible at the part where the almost-Kryptonite inexplicably turned him evil. Even a cliche mind control story would've been a step-up from that kind of a cop-out. Then there was the part where Richard Pryor's supercomputer became self-aware at the end. Most bad movies are terrible or bland all the way through, but Superman III has the biggest shift in quality as I perceive it. I wanted to say "Boo! This sucks!" right along with Superman's in-universe audience. The ending where Richard Pryor refuses the job offer kind of seems like it reflects 1980s opinions about people on unemployment and the chronically unemployed. In the first half, I actually liked all the gags like the crosswalk men fighting each other. I liked the problem-solving scenes with "How is he going to get them all down? Carry them one at a time?" then he rips a tanker with a ladder on it right out of the ground, or "How is he going to carry a lake? Oh, right, freezing breath". It averages out for an all right movie.

edit: also I liked how Lana Lang seemed to have a crush on Clark Kent but not Superman. I liked their continual Freudian misunderstandings where one of them is talking about food or chores and the other thinks they're talking about relationships or vice versa. Also, Clark Kent is the kind of guy who'd eat dog food if he found out he liked the taste before being told what it was

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 26, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd say all of the old Superman movies are like that, the first half is really good and then the last half is just really bad.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The wires wrapping around people at the end of Superman 3 scared the poo poo out of me when I was a kid

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Answer him, Gunn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Snowflame might yet lurk in the film

Never let the dream die