Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ford already had made the perfect t bird just needed to put a reliable engine in it that got better then 2 miles per gallon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Are you implying the 460 was a thirsty gal?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just saying it would cost me $20 in gas to go buy a 59 cent taco.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Elephanthead posted:

Just saying it would cost me $20 in gas to go buy a 59 cent taco.

How else did you enjoy driving for Uber Eats?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Actually they look like the factory lights but it's got an entirely different front bumper/grille that makes it look completely stupid. Obviously everything behind that is terrible as well.

I feel like Ford was actually close to making a cool car with the final T-bird but they ended up loving the dog and what should have been a great send-off to a classic model ended up as a wet fart.

Same. I thought they looked kinda neat, but it got a unique variant of a Jag engine stuck to a Ranger transmission, which might be one of Ford's weirdest ideas to make production.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Colostomy Bag posted:

That T-bird never had the 460, not that it got great mileage anyway.

We almost ended up with an even smaller T-bird instead of the 77-79, it wound up being developed into the Fairmont Futura.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Godholio posted:

Same. I thought they looked kinda neat, but it got a unique variant of a Jag engine stuck to a Ranger transmission, which might be one of Ford's weirdest ideas to make production.

I actually just saw one (stock) the other day and had the thought again that it almost looks pretty good. I actually like the rear end and the profile's not too bad, but the front is just kinda goofy. I think a Coyote + new trans swap would do wonders for the car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They seem to be listing for 8-11,000 here. Hm.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Godholio posted:

They seem to be listing for 8-11,000 here. Hm.

Paint/wrap the stupid chrome windshield surround, find a top without the opera window, toss some H&R springs on it, get some dark wheels and sticky tires, grab a pair of Flowmasters, and go piss off some Boomers. Didn't Jag make a supercharged version of that 3.9? Hmmm...

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Didn't Jag make a supercharged version of that 3.9? Hmmm...
The AJ-V8 was made in multiple displacements. Some of them were supercharged, the 3.9L was not one of the supercharged ones. The 4.2L in the Jaguar Type-S was available supercharged.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I actually just saw one (stock) the other day and had the thought again that it almost looks pretty good. I actually like the rear end and the profile's not too bad, but the front is just kinda goofy. I think a Coyote + new trans swap would do wonders for the car.

I saw not only a stock last-gen T-bird this weekend, but a first gen as well. Different days, and in different locations, but still... The real one, and the poser.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

While I get that the last T-Bird wasn't exactly a work of art nor a real drivers car, I don't quite get the utter hate and contempt that seems to be around it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

slidebite posted:

While I get that the last T-Bird wasn't exactly a work of art nor a real drivers car, I don't quite get the utter hate and contempt that seems to be around it.

It’s anecdotal, but I’ve never met a neo-Tbird owner that I didn’t desperately want to punch in the throat.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

slidebite posted:

It's got a real dumb face, a goofy engine, and a thoroughly lame transmission. Also,

MrYenko posted:

It’s anecdotal, but I’ve never met a neo-Tbird owner that I didn’t desperately want to punch in the throat.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It's got a real dumb face, a goofy engine, and a thoroughly lame transmission. Also,

And for all that I'd still rather see one than any number of copy paste CUVs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

Because Ford came so close to doing something awesome, but managed to hit all 1s just off the bullseye.

Tweaks to the grille and a more familiar powertrain would've gone a long way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh sure, it could have been so much better, no doubt. Like 90% of all American cars, and especially decade 00 North American cars.

MrYenko posted:

It’s anecdotal, but I’ve never met a neo-Tbird owner that I didn’t desperately want to punch in the throat
Fair, but it's also fair for me to say that's literally every Jetta driver I see.

StormDrain posted:

And for all that I'd still rather see one than any number of copy paste CUVs.
By a country mile.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Also thanks in part probably to the GTA effect I saw a last Gen T Bird like a quarter mile from my house after posting that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Godholio posted:

Because Ford came so close to doing something awesome, but managed to hit all 1s just off the bullseye.

Tweaks to the grille and a more familiar powertrain would've gone a long way.

I'll never understand how they didn't just put the Mustang drivetrain in it, I think they did with the second-to-last generation.

It's kinda like the Prowler, 95% of the way to a super awesome cool car, but just stumbled over the finish line.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Elviscat posted:

I'll never understand how they didn't just put the Mustang drivetrain in it, I think they did with the second-to-last generation.

It's kinda like the Prowler, 95% of the way to a super awesome cool car, but just stumbled over the finish line.

I honestly don't know if the 4.6L would have fit. Those things are a mile wide.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm of the thought that the bumper situation did in the Prowler.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That and lack of suitable powertrain options. Everyone rags on that V6 but it was just about the best option they had at the time.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've also heard that the Tbirds (last gens) were too expensive. Like for that price they *should* have had a "better" engine, transmission etc.

THe Prowler I always thought was cool too, but maybe if it came with a real manual it would have sold better? THe engine, for the time was decently powerful was it not? Like 250hp or so for a v6?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Was there any "retro styled" american cars that were actually considered "good"? The SSR, HHR, Prowler, Thunderbird, PT Cruiser, they all sucked in numerous ways.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Octopus Magic posted:

Was there any "retro styled" american cars that were actually considered "good"? The SSR, HHR, Prowler, Thunderbird, PT Cruiser, they all sucked in numerous ways.

The PT cruiser is the butt of many a joke but it was a huge sales success and AFAIK fairly reliable and cheap to maintain for what it was. I personally am not a huge fan of retro styling but the Charger is great at being what it is, a big silly muscle car that looks good.

The Mustang and Camaro are well regarded of course but IMO they look so much better now that they have gotten away from retro styling a bit. I was interested in a used fifth gen Camaro as a platform for a track toy but looking at the pre-facelift ones made my stomach churn. God they’re awful.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 26, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the prowler is cool

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Octopus Magic posted:

Ford GT and maybe the Bronco but I haven't read much about if they are good or not yet, Challenger?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dodge is stuffing in 600-800 HP engines. It could look like a toaster oven and I would think it was cool.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dodge needs to grow some balls and make a half hemi. Just chop the hellcat/demon engine in half to have the most ludicrous 4 cylinder out there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Coredump posted:

Dodge needs to grow some balls and make a half hemi. Just chop the hellcat/demon engine in half to have the most ludicrous 4 cylinder out there.

a 350hp 3.1 liter wouldn't be all that special. Mercedes makes a 382hp 2.0 and a bunch of companies make 400hp+ 3 liters.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Powershift posted:

a 350hp 3.1 liter wouldn't be all that special. Mercedes makes a 382hp 2.0 and a bunch of companies make 400hp+ 3 liters.

Maybe they could just try to implement some kind of quality control instead, then.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

Maybe they could just try to implement some kind of quality control instead, then.

nah just add 300 more HP to the helldemon.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Take half a hellcat engine, throw it in a small Peugeot since they own them now and make a 209 TI 16. Or don’t because you know Peugeots since 2001.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Half of a Hemi, jesus christ what a glorious paint shaker that would be.

The Prowler needed easily removable bumpers that wouldn't leave holes in the body and a V8, any V8 just to say it had one.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

They could call up Mitsubishi again and ask if they could borrow some more 4GXX engines.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d/houston-bronco-xlt-sport-4x4/7185981775.html

no way this is real, unless they forgot a zero or something. they do have a website though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Runs good very
Full power

:hmmyes:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's a scam, you rube. It's always a scam

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Something something OJ joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If an ad has its own website, something is up. Also all broncos have huge dents everywhere