Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ShimaTetsuo posted:

Quebec has a history of adapting american TV shows for our local audience and then having them be cancelled very quickly because no one watches them e.g. "La Job" (The Office) or SNL Quebec (this skit might look familiar) only lasted ~10 episodes each. Most people don't want to watch the knock-off version of anything if they know the original exists. The adaptation of Brooklyn 99 has not begun airing yet but who knows how long it will actually last.

In return we have provided the world with Just for Laughs: Gags, a prank show without any talking parts (thus easy to export), and "Un gars, une fille", a comedy based on common stereotypes of the differences between men and women which has been adapted in like every country (although not successfully in the US, I think).
https://twitter.com/chronoexpert39/status/1277785692240859136

don't be so down on yourself you've also provided us with Quebecois Boomhauer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I discovered today that "Life Is a Highway" is not by Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, or any other hard-rock group. It's by Tom Cochrane, essentially a one-hit wonder (though other songs of his charted in his native Canada, because of course they did).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hirayuki posted:

I discovered today that "Life Is a Highway" is not by Guns N' Roses, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, or any other hard-rock group. It's by Tom Cochrane, essentially a one-hit wonder (though other songs of his charted in his native Canada, because of course they did).

It's by Rascal Flatts now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Beachcomber posted:

It's by Rascal Flatts now.

Welp, just figured out it’s not by them. And wasn’t part of the marketing push for Cars

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

Tom Cochrane was also the lead singer for a different one hit wonder act, Red Rider, who sang "lunatic fringe" another song that's constantly misattributed to random other rock bands.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Huh, I had no idea. Our high school sports program played Lunatic Fringe weekly for football pregames, because we our team was called the Red Riders.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Probably reealy dorky, but I saw that nice 'frolicking' tweet and only then made the v. obvious connection between 'frolic' and 'fröhlich'.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pookah posted:

Probably reealy dorky, but I saw that nice 'frolicking' tweet and only then made the v. obvious connection between 'frolic' and 'fröhlich'.

I hadn't made the connection until just now. Apparently it made its way into English via Dutch.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Phlegmish posted:

I hadn't made the connection until just now. Apparently it made its way into English via Dutch.

When you say it out loud, it's 95% the same drat word but obviously you don't really ever say it in the same context.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The pronunciation of the 'ch' part in German is pretty strongly different from the English ending, though. Frolic is more similar to the Dutch 'vrolijk' in that regard.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

poo poo, I'm Dutch, studied English at uni with a healthy dose of linguistics and never made that connection, lol.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rodbeard posted:

Tom Cochrane was also the lead singer for a different one hit wonder act, Red Rider, who sang "lunatic fringe" another song that's constantly misattributed to random other rock bands.

If you want to momentarily confuse yourself, give "White Hot" by Red Rider a listen and see how he pronounces "Somalia"

Bryan Adams, Tom Cochrane, Kim Mitchell and Colin James are all sort of on the same continuum for me of "extraordinarily white Canadian rocker of the 80s and early 90s"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

The pronunciation of the 'ch' part in German is pretty strongly different from the English ending, though. Frolic is more similar to the Dutch 'vrolijk' in that regard.

The ch to c change is extremely common in german english cognates though, so once you notice the one you start to notice them all. I'm assuming that ch to k is similar for german-dutch

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Elizabeth Olsen is not one of the Olsen twins

her name not being marykate or ashley should probably have tipped me off in hindsight

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

On the subject of language: Old English, surprisingly understandable, or still gibberish?

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEaRBAT0TLs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Dagt3SWoo

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mackers posted:

her name not being marykate or ashley should probably have tipped me off in hindsight

The disposition of the third Olsen is probably something QAnon should look into.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sweevo posted:

On the subject of language: Old English, surprisingly understandable, or still gibberish?

Yes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Harald Hardrada should've won in 1066 so english could've been in a proper cognates club instead of being germanic with romance characteristics and monolingual anglos struggling with both.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mackers posted:

Also their given names were Mary and Kate. People kept misinterpreting the credits so they changed their names.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also their given names were Mary and Kate. People kept misinterpreting the credits so they changed their names.

Ah yes, that makes se -

Wait a minute, it's Jerry 'JC' Cotton!!!

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
A little late to the Vasquez/John Connor's Foster mom/Titanic person debate but maybe, just maybe, that actress was cast in all those roles had something to do with the Director?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think early on they actually were credited as "Mary-Kate Ashley Olsen" for some reason.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I think early on they actually were credited as "Mary-Kate Ashley Olsen" for some reason.

Their names were Mary Ashley-Olsen and Kate Ashley-Olsen.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Mary-Kate, And-Ashley Olsen

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Their actual legal names are in fact Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen. Mary-Kate was even married to Olivier Sarkozy, brother of the former french president Nicolas. She filed for divorce recently but covid happened so they're still technically married.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Their actual legal names are in fact Mary-Kate Olsen and Ashley Olsen. Mary-Kate was even married to Olivier Sarkozy, brother of the former french president Nicolas. She filed for divorce recently but covid happened so they're still technically married.

Yeah, NOW.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Tequila and root beer make a good mix.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MariusLecter posted:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

MariusLecter posted:

I usually mix tequila with inadvisable sexual encounters, but I'll deffo try that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I was wondering if there were any cocktails with root beer in them

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I've never seen a cocktail on a bar menu that used root beer, but it goes just fine with plenty of poo poo.

Most things you would put with a coke are just fine in root beer. Rum, whisky, rye, sure what the gently caress ever. It would be weird if you used top shelf stuff for this, but cheap/middling brands taste just as fine in a root beer as they do in a coke.

Those weird flavored vodkas like whipped cream or vanilla bean? Dump it in some root beer.

I personally like but have never had anyone else agree that ginger brandy with root beer is good. It's a lot of strong flavors thrown together but I think they complement each other.

I'm trying really hard to imagine a highbrow cocktail that would use root beer. Citrus slices and bitters all seem like a bad idea. I can't think of any strongly flavored liqueurs that would work with root beer either.

Maybe anise liquors?????

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Letting a tequila and fruit punch monster sit for too long it turns into watered down cherry cough syrup like substance.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just put root beer labels on actual beer then sharpie quotation marks around the word root

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Most red wines and coke are good, especially if the wine is Manischewitz.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Rum and whisky are both better with root beer than with cola.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Spiced rum and diet coke somehow tastes like root beer or cream soda depending on the rum.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Do I out myself as a secret sorority girl if I say that fireball and root beer taste good?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Most red wines and coke are good, especially if the wine is Manischewitz.
:chloe:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Tastes fine even if it's not kosher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

rydiafan posted:

Do I out myself as a secret sorority girl if I say that fireball and root beer taste good?

this makes my teeth hurt