Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

numberoneposter posted:

i havnt had a flat in 9,122.5 km on my road bike :smug:
Just ran over a cool nail on the bike lane while on the way Tuesday night group ride thus ending my longest no flat streak at 9,262.2 km. :mrwhite:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

numberoneposter posted:

Just ran over a cool nail on the way Tuesday night group ride thus ending my longest no flat streak. :mrwhite:

At least you got a cool nail out of it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Voodoo is real.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Bud Manstrong posted:

Other companies have started using similar attachment systems to 1up, but they’re more expensive (Saris) for more plastic parts and not quite as easy to adjust the bike position. The 1up wheel lock system also provides a bit more security than the cable locks on other high end racks.

I'll note that a couple of my friends have the Saris 1up-style rack and they've both had parts break. Saris customer service has been good but it shouldn't happen. It's also heavy as all gently caress. If you want a "1up-style" rack you just want a 1up. Buy once, cry once.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

VacaGrande posted:

Buy once, cry once.

Well, until you need to buy an add on

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

e.pilot posted:

Thanks for the quick turnaround on my goof with the jersey cost and taxes, I've gotten the extra $5-10 from all but 6 people 2 people in barely over 12 hours, y'all rock. :unsmith:

Is knowing how much international shipping will cost going to be one of those "find out when you've got the kit at your end" kind of things?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VacaGrande posted:

I'll note that a couple of my friends have the Saris 1up-style rack and they've both had parts break. Saris customer service has been good but it shouldn't happen. It's also heavy as all gently caress. If you want a "1up-style" rack you just want a 1up. Buy once, cry once.

Make sure to get the bottle opener when you buy it, otherwise what’s the point?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I went on a proper climb up a small mountain/large hill in South Carolina with a friend of mine. Paris Mountain if anyone is familiar with Travelers Rest/Greenville Area. I found my Stuntman™️ didn't have enough low end gearing for my liking as I climbed, this is likely due to me being a big boy ~245 lbs. While I work on getting down to race weight I do want to improve my low end gear. I already got a smaller tooth front chain ring for the front of my bike going from 42t to 40t. I have a Sram apex crankset with the asymmetric arms so my chainring choices are limited. I'm looking into getting a 38t oval chainring next.

The other thing that has my interest is that since the Stuntman™️ can with a Sram Rival groupset I could do the Garbaruk derailleur upgrade as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFzCwjlH4E and put on a Sunrace 11-50t 11 speed rear cassette.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

e.pilot posted:

:siren::siren::siren::siren:Order is in, keep in mind it is AliExpress, so it will arrive in approximately eventually:siren::siren::siren::siren:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
e:
I apparently hosed up the math on how Barton does orders, if you ordered a complete kit (jersey and bib) the cost will be an extra $5 versus what I thought it was going to be, I will send out emails as applicable.

ee:
Also apparently AliExpress charges state sales tax, I am in California so I am 8.5% short on every order, I have hosed this up mightily, more emails will be going out shortly.

eee:
Apparently there are extra fees for international PayPal, if your order is international you can do the $5, tax, and shipping all in one go once I get the jerseys in.
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Let me know if there's a round 2–been caught up with vacation and now moving so this totally slipped by.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is knowing how much international shipping will cost going to be one of those "find out when you've got the kit at your end" kind of things?

yeah, I won’t know until I have the weight and everything

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

e.pilot posted:

yeah, I won’t know until I have the weight and everything

Just to make sure, you're ok with me waiting until I have a total bill to send it all over - it costs a couple of dollars or something to send internationally, which is a big proportion of the payments

vvv cheers!

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 26, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Just to make sure, you're ok with me waiting until I have a total bill to send it all over - it costs a couple of dollars or something to send internationally, which is a big proportion of the payments

absolutely, it’d be dumb to pay a $1+ fee to send $2 worth of tax

I have a spreadsheet that I’ve kept track of everything on, so I’ll have a total for all the international orders once they’re ready to go

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You guys, did you know brooks made a purple B17?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

nm posted:

You guys, did you know brooks made a purple B17?
Can't wait to get a big purple splotch on the rear end of my jeans.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CopperHound posted:

Can't wait to get a big purple splotch on the rear end of my jeans.
LOL. My green brooks always turned my pants green.

So I'm buying it but only wearing bike shorts with it.

edit: Or purple pants.

nm fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 26, 2020

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
My cygolite 360 died last week and it was a devastating loss for me. I didn't know it when I bought it six years ago, but headlights that can be ran indefinitely on external power are incredibly rare. Most major brands can't run and charge simultaneously, but for the few that can they still don't charge faster than the depletion rate. Of course the big solution is a dynamo system, but I only needed the indefinite running thing a few times a year so that was a tiny bit of overkill.

Then a buddy messaged me about this sale and how perfect was that timing?! A good price on what appears so far to be a solid enough headlight. 2 amp USB c changing will keep things topped up when needed. And hopefully the charging port itself won't give up the ghost after six years (which is ultimately what killed my 360).

If Serfas actually sucks lemme know so I don't get my hopes up with this light. If they don't suck then jump on that deal if you need a light. The light I received from them was clearly an open box item, but everything was there and it's in great shape.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I have a serfas front light, though much less powerful. It's fine?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crumps Brother posted:

My cygolite 360 died last week and it was a devastating loss for me. I didn't know it when I bought it six years ago, but headlights that can be ran indefinitely on external power are incredibly rare. Most major brands can't run and charge simultaneously, but for the few that can they still don't charge faster than the depletion rate. Of course the big solution is a dynamo system, but I only needed the indefinite running thing a few times a year so that was a tiny bit of overkill.

Then a buddy messaged me about this sale and how perfect was that timing?! A good price on what appears so far to be a solid enough headlight. 2 amp USB c changing will keep things topped up when needed. And hopefully the charging port itself won't give up the ghost after six years (which is ultimately what killed my 360).

If Serfas actually sucks lemme know so I don't get my hopes up with this light. If they don't suck then jump on that deal if you need a light. The light I received from them was clearly an open box item, but everything was there and it's in great shape.

Now I’m wondering if the Metro and Ranger I have charge while in use. The blinking light turns solid but who knows if that means anything.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Now I’m wondering if the Metro and Ranger I have charge while in use. The blinking light turns solid but who knows if that means anything.
They will, but only the newer Metro Pro models charge fast enough to run SteadyPulse forever. I think some of them work with low mode, but I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crumps Brother posted:

They will, but only the newer Metro Pro models charge fast enough to run SteadyPulse forever. I think some of them work with low mode, but I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head.

The Ranger is “above” the metro pro I believe, not sure if that changes anything. It does charge quick though.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The Ranger is “above” the metro pro I believe, not sure if that changes anything. It does charge quick though.
I checked and you're right. Steadypulse world do the trick.

code:

Run Times
Boost: 1:15 hrs
High: 2 hrs
Med: 3 hrs
Low: 9 hrs
SteadyPulse: 4 hrs
Zoom: 4 hrs
Triple Flash: 25 hrs
DayLightning Flash: 15 hrs
Walking: 30 hrs
Charge Time: 3:30 hrs

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 26, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I biked again, same route, same hot weather (90s) but had my new shoes on quite a bit looser. Definitely an improvement.

Basically when tightening, right after the last BOA wire thing touched the tongue I tried leaving it there on both feet. This is loose enough such that when pedaling, you can feel the heel move up just slightly on each rotation when your leg is moving upwards. After like 30 minutes my feet felt pretty much fine, except on my left foot there was a slight sensation which I couldn't distinguish between a hotspot and numbness. Also when I got off my bike I had some crotch numbness. After hiding behind a sign where I had been touching my crotch, I tightened both shoes a tad. This felt pretty much fine on the way back - I could feel my heel still moving up a tad but it was a very tiny amount. I also felt the area below my ankle move up slightly while pedaling. At the end of my ride (another 30 minutes), I got some light numbness in my right toes.

I think my plan for next time is to keep it on the loosest setting (right after the last BOA wire makes contact with the tongue) on the right, and slightly tighter than that on the left.

Also the velcro strap isn't especially loose or tight. It's fully covering the part where it attaches, no more and no less.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

PolishPandaBear posted:

I read a lot of reviews about the Thule and Kuat racks where the plastic bits eventually got UV damage after a few years and would break. I didn't want to deal with that. I also like the modularity, that I can just have one tray if I wanted. The additional trays are easy to put on and take off.

The trays also fold down really nicely and can be stowed away in the super heavy duty boxes that they come in for storage.

In the end, the cost in the end isn't much different than the expensive Kuat. Sure I don't have the mobile works stand or other bits, but the all aluminum construction was worth it for me.

Crumps Brother posted:

One thing I like about the 1up style is that you get a bit of wiggle room for bike positioning. You can move the bikes forwards/backwards a bit and it goes a long way towards making sure multiple bikes can fit around each other with no problems. I'm just waiting for them to get off of backorder so I can get my order in for an Equip-D.

Cool, this is actually helpful in a way that I've not had described before. I've got a full 2+2 kuat now, so I doubt I would be shopping for a 1up at any point soon (unless i put a hitch mount on my sedan), but will bear in mind.

kimbo305 posted:

Setting aside the need to fix an adjustment issue with the bike, pedaling at a laid back 60rpm is getting you to 18mph on the gearing. You might consider using an easier gear and upping cadence.

Did I miss where he said either the speed or cadence he was riding at??

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Steve French posted:

Did I miss where he said either the speed or cadence he was riding at??

Nay, I was figuring a relaxed cadence and speed in top gear (40x12 for that bike), the only cog in danger of dropping to the outside.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

1upUSA is open for orders if anyone, like me, was waiting for them to take orders again.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Guinness posted:

get it get it, and post pics

:discourse:

great ride, not too tough but i was definitely disappointed that the campsite at the midpoint being closed because i wanted some water

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

10 miles rides are a lot harder than i thought...
But at least i got my shoes now, but no pedals yet...

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

ElMaligno posted:

10 miles rides are a lot harder than i thought...
But at least i got my shoes now, but no pedals yet...

Keep at it and eventually 10 miles will be your warmup distance. Good job.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

actionjackson posted:

I biked again, same route, same hot weather (90s) but had my new shoes on quite a bit looser. Definitely an improvement.

Basically when tightening, right after the last BOA wire thing touched the tongue I tried leaving it there on both feet. This is loose enough such that when pedaling, you can feel the heel move up just slightly on each rotation when your leg is moving upwards. After like 30 minutes my feet felt pretty much fine, except on my left foot there was a slight sensation which I couldn't distinguish between a hotspot and numbness. Also when I got off my bike I had some crotch numbness. After hiding behind a sign where I had been touching my crotch, I tightened both shoes a tad. This felt pretty much fine on the way back - I could feel my heel still moving up a tad but it was a very tiny amount. I also felt the area below my ankle move up slightly while pedaling. At the end of my ride (another 30 minutes), I got some light numbness in my right toes.

I think my plan for next time is to keep it on the loosest setting (right after the last BOA wire makes contact with the tongue) on the right, and slightly tighter than that on the left.

Also the velcro strap isn't especially loose or tight. It's fully covering the part where it attaches, no more and no less.

Have you tried adjusting your Q factor at all?

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/what-is-q-factor-and-does-it-make-a-difference-187403

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Been using toe clips for a while since the last time I tried clipless they hurt my knees. Got a new pair of clipless shoes and pedals (Giant Flux, Giant Trail Elite) and rode on Saturday and my knees hurt again. Did some reading about how to properly position the cleats for fatass goons like me (inside, forward) and adjusted them and I feel pretty good today after a 20 mile ride. I'll see if i feel good when I wake up.

We're looking at a 75 mile ride on Saturday as we stretch ourselves out to get a 100 mile day before the riding season ends so I hope I didn't gently caress myself by swapping to the clipless setup. It does help climb hills though and we've got a shitload of those around here.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I've never heard of that. After looking up some more info (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEeSJoul8F4) the "A" measurement at 32 seconds into that video is about 3.5 inches, so double that is 7 inches or 178 mm. My bottom bracket is a Praxis works M24 if that helps at all.

I know I can't really make this distance shorter, but do you think maybe I should at least adjust my cleats a bit so my stance width is slightly less? move the right shoe cleat to the right a bit, and the left one to the left.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 27, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
This is more The Great Indoors, but there's a YLLS goon looking for buddies for a bike trainer smart device thingamajig, so please holler if you do that thing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938075

Thanks!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Been using toe clips for a while since the last time I tried clipless they hurt my knees

Yeah that's entirely an adjustment issue. How long did the 20 mile ride take? If it was substantially over an hour then you're quite probably set up good enough if you didn't have any pain at the time or after.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah that's entirely an adjustment issue. How long did the 20 mile ride take? If it was substantially over an hour then you're quite probably set up good enough if you didn't have any pain at the time or after.

1:22, my wife still uses toe clips so I borrowed her bike for a second and noticed that my toes splay outwards naturally. Pushed the cleats inwards and turned the tips in and it seemed to work. My knees are in good functioning condition today.

Should have gotten the SL cleats, they seem more adjustable, but we don't do a lot of road riding.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Got my pedals today! :unsmith:

But i dont have a size 8 hex key or grease fo it... :smith:

But i can get those local! :unsmith:

But there was only one cleat (and assorted screws, spacers and stuff) in the box... :smith:

But REI is sending me some free cleats! :unsmith:

and they arrive next month :negative:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you should definitely have a set of hex/allen tools, one for taking with you while you ride and a set at home

i really like my bondhus gold hex tools for use at home

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I've never heard of that. After looking up some more info (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEeSJoul8F4) the "A" measurement at 32 seconds into that video is about 3.5 inches, so double that is 7 inches or 178 mm. My bottom bracket is a Praxis works M24 if that helps at all.

I know I can't really make this distance shorter, but do you think maybe I should at least adjust my cleats a bit so my stance width is slightly less? move the right shoe cleat to the right a bit, and the left one to the left.
Have you thought about just biking in something more comfortable, like crocs?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

BraveUlysses posted:

you should definitely have a set of hex/allen tools, one for taking with you while you ride and a set at home

i really like my bondhus gold hex tools for use at home

I do, but I don't have em in size 8

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Wolfy posted:

Have you thought about just biking in something more comfortable, like crocs?

Unironically this:
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/apparel-accessories/shimano/SH-SD500.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I also have about 5 sets of allen keys but didn't have a size 8. I bought a small bike tool that I can bring on rides and that fixed it up.

I also rode a bunch with the pedals hand tightened and it seemed fine :shrug: