Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Not knowing exactly what i wanted to do with myself I downloaded Enderal: Forgotten Stories but now that I know Wasteland is coming out tomorrow I don't know if that's really enough time to fuss with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
looks like the embargo lifted, reviews are largely positive, the setting getting called out as setting it apart along with the humor and sound design

criticisms are mostly technical issues along with "not enough changes from the last game" which tbh is what I personally wanted

e: also end game A.I.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 27, 2020

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Found music from the game.

if this is the effort they are putting into the game I have a feeling this one is going to be special...as in Fallout New Vegas special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXeHwhLPKz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e7J9GuCo9Y

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

Finally watched some of those videos on character creation. Some interesting possibilities. Like, a Weird Science Big Guns Pyromaniac Disciple of Metal with Heating Element from Toaster Repair can presumably avoid the downside of their perk while nearly doubling all their armor-ignoring fire damage.

It also seems like a natural synergy is small arms and sniper rifles, because there is a Small Arms perk that benefits from Marking, which is exclusive to Sniper Rifles. You could have your sniper set up your small arms gunslinger, or take them both on the same character, since the perk abilities are cheaper than most of the regular attacks--3 AP to trigger Marking (reducing evasion by -50%), then another 3 AP Trick Shot (which has reduced aim by -40%) which gives +3 AP if it succeeds. Supposedly Evasion and Hit chance cancel each other out one-to-one, so that's still a +10% in that case. Do activated perks have a cooldown? Because otherwise it seems once a target is marked, you can just empty your revolver with Trick Shot provided you don't miss.

Also Serial Killer Quirk with Trigger Happy would be +6 AP with every kill with an automatic weapon. That's...wow.

Quoting from last page but per ESO's 40 minute overview, serial killer has now got a 'you can only gain AP once per turn' condition.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Most of the reviews make the same sound real good, especially if you liked Wasteland 2 in spite of its quirks.

Eurogamer's review is basically "This game is America.exe lmao" "Wasteland 3 is a no-holds barred teardown of the American Dream, a parody of a nation that is now beyond parody. It is a satire you get to direct, and I heartily recommend doing so."

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I remember being retroactively excited instead of sad the Reaganites did not make it into 2 once I realized how much better a Republican cult would play if it made it into 3.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Reminder that the game is on the XBox game pass and you can preload it.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dr. Quarex posted:

I remember being retroactively excited instead of sad the Reaganites did not make it into 2 once I realized how much better a Republican cult would play if it made it into 3.
Well they did have a church that wanted to cleanse LA in the name of (probably white)Jesus and family values so kinda close.

sean10mm posted:

Most of the reviews make the same sound real good, especially if you liked Wasteland 2 in spite of its quirks.

Eurogamer's review is basically "This game is America.exe lmao" "Wasteland 3 is a no-holds barred teardown of the American Dream, a parody of a nation that is now beyond parody. It is a satire you get to direct, and I heartily recommend doing so."

Hah. Poor Mur'ka. This might be extraordinarily well timed. Very excited for tomorrow. Can't believe they aren't screwing with us non Murricans and delaying this by a year or something. Maybe streaming has made me paranoid.
:canada:

So it's said - I will be playing the piss out of this so may not be posting much in the thread for a bit. I will try and update the OP with build info and whatever fun and juice tidbits you guys post. Feel free to leave cool/funny screencaps or vids as well as anything you want posted and I will try and not be a slacker of a thread creator. You guys rock and have fun getting high in the Rockies. :420:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I am worried, incredibly worried about this. I'm scared I'll never make a ranger team perfect enough to hit that 'start' button before ck3 comes out.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

No Steam preload or...?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

wtf release time

Well whatever, see you all in the frozen waste tonight

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah xbox says 27th but internet says 28th.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I liked wasteland 2 pretty sure I backed it so glad to see wasteland 3 getting decent feedback.

It is bullshit however that there is no preload I take it that was on purpose to make people get gamepass

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Release is tonight at 5pm PT

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

queeb posted:

yeah xbox says 27th but internet says 28th.

It's midnight GMT. Xbox is adjusting for your time zone.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I'm really looking forward to this (although i can't pick it up till payday) so I'm glad it's getting good reviews. The director's cut of the second one really scratched my XCOM itch but without the time pressure making me super stressed out, and it was nice to have the Mad Max-inspired/Fallout-inspiring setting without Bethesda writing.

Does anyone know if the PC version will have controller support? I figured most games that are also available on console would, but I don't see it listed on the Steam or GOG pages

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Defiance Industries posted:

It's midnight GMT. Xbox is adjusting for your time zone.

Funny side note... my Xbox Uno still won't accept that I'm not in England any more. Despite me changing everything aeons ago and being back in Canuckleland since before the Rona came it still wants me to purchase ultimate for a pound. This better not cause me any delay in playing. "We can't decide if you are a Brit or a Canadian so.... we are going to assume you are an Australian bogan and make you wait till 2022."

upgunned shitpost posted:

I am worried, incredibly worried about this. I'm scared I'll never make a ranger team perfect enough to hit that 'start' button before ck3 comes out.

I can help.
Make one dude your nerdy Ag Centre born skill guy that stands back and uses assault rifle. You can also max out charisma and he's the leader. You get a kiss rear end companion very soon so don't worry about speech unless you really want. Int =high cha=max and like 4 coord.
Make dude number two your sneaky serial killer. Punch or stabby depending on your preference. I'm going lockpick and maybe the barest pistols for early game since punchy can take a bit. Good str and int. Coord at 4. Speed will get some leftover love. One of the backgrounds was vengeful so I'm making him Sheriff Batman.

Dude3 make a pyromaniac big weapons, explosives and toaster. Find flamethrower and light poo poo up. Maybe melee as secondary. My goal is he lights things on fire, blows things up and fixes my vehicles.
Dude4 is sniper. All awareness and coord. Might make her animal companion or guncrafter.

Per the articles they say dont max out any attributes but charisma. You get stuff that can take it a level or two. Charisma only max because the plus for your party and xp bonus are extra insane. <not my take but a guy who played "release">

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 27, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

drat, I need to hurry up and finish W1 and 2. This looks awesome!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It is worth noting that a maxed out stat always has an extra bonus, usually double what you would normally get for leveling up the stat. So a capped stat is great but you may want to get there with equipment and trinket bonuses.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
can you increase stats through leveling up?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

can you increase stats through leveling up?

Yeah, pretty sure you get a point every level after level 3.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

5pm PDT meh

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Is there a max level in this system? Or is it more of a softcap thing? I'd assume softcap considering all the exp bonuses that can be stacked up. And if so, anyone know roundabout what it is? Trying to figure out how many total points I actually have to play around with in total.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Can I just say that I sincerely hope that WL3 doesn't start with a super guilt trip like 2 did?

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

Is there a max level in this system? Or is it more of a softcap thing? I'd assume softcap considering all the exp bonuses that can be stacked up. And if so, anyone know roundabout what it is? Trying to figure out how many total points I actually have to play around with in total.

A journalist was reporting that when he beat the game his characters were ~level 27 with basically all his characters having 1 in charisma, skipping a ton of random encounters, and probably missing out on sidequests. Max level is 50 so you could in theory grind it out if you really wanted.

Skuzal fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 27, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gonna guess mid thirties for reasonable amounts of completionism then, gives me a general idea to work with.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Forum feels too quiet wrt this game launch.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I'm just staring really hard at Steam wondering why I can't preload yet.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

MoaM posted:

I think a lot of people played Wasteland 2, realized it was groggy as hell, and checked out of the series. Personally, I had a somewhat miserable time with WL2, and it's making me pretty reluctant to jump into this one without doing more research and seeing more gameplay impressions.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I think a lot of people played Wasteland 2, realized it was groggy as hell, and checked out of the series. Personally, I had a somewhat miserable time with WL2, and it's making me pretty reluctant to jump into this one without doing more research and seeing more gameplay impressions.

same here. but after reading the reviews they seem to have touched upon pretty much all my gripes about the game. also I already have the game pass so I'll just dive in. My biggest issues were pacing, boring objectives, useless skills and the sheer randomness of unlocking skills and chest contents.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm only paying since it's on game pass, and never played the earlier ones.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
If you want an early companion make sure to make one of your custom dudes start off with either of the persuasion skills. Normal dialogue won't be able to save her.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MoaM posted:

That is probably true, though we had years of pre-existing Kickstarter enthusiasm (and decades of pre-Kickstarter enthusiasm) for the last game, which helped it get so much discussion. I mean I admit I do not know what normal game threads look like in the days leading up to launch, so maybe this is still quiet.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i've been checked out of the wasteland series after reading a lot of bad press about previous entries and from bad experiences with other inxile games. i'm gonna check this one out though.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So going by that video linked earlier you create 4 of your dudes, and other 2 are more story driven companions. This is gonna give me anxiety now cause I know ill make someone who has skills that overlap with one of the other companions and my min-maxing will be ruined.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Oh hey, looks like spoilers are up about the (currently known) companions and their builds: https://www.pcinvasion.com/wasteland-3-recruit-companion-guide/

For heretics like myself who like to meticulously plan your team, should be useful.

Evil Canadian posted:

So going by that video linked earlier you create 4 of your dudes, and other 2 are more story driven companions. This is gonna give me anxiety now cause I know ill make someone who has skills that overlap with one of the other companions and my min-maxing will be ruined.

Edit: Convenient timing lol

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Evil Canadian posted:

apparently you can ignore plot chars and just add another two of your own when the time comes

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I feel like apologizing for being a downer, just expected a little more oomph in the thread; we are in a pandemic so it don't matta really.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

black.lion posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

black.lion posted:

Yeah seeing their tweet last night bluntly saying no Steam preload, then turns out the Game Pass version does is just... baffling