Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Dramicus posted:

There's not even that much of a grind since you can start by renting a c208 and immediately doing jobs that pay well.

This. The only thing (as far as I can tell) reputation matters for is getting loans, and you don't need a loan to hop straight into a plane that can make you a ton of money.

There's also FSEconomy which does not give a single solitary gently caress how you fly* as long as you get from A to B without crashing or running out of fuel. It also has a much better UI than OnAir. That's right, I said it. OnAir is definitely "more modern" and "prettier"(though it's certainly not pretty) but holy poo poo it's a complete garbage fire of a UI that is in no way user friendlier or more intuitive than the older looking UI garbage fire that is FSE.

*The only thing FSE cares about when it comes to how you fly is whether you properly lean piston engines, but the penalty for getting it wrong is that the aircraft owner has to pay a tiny bit more for the 100hr inspection, so even that doesn't really matter. Especially if you're only renting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

The only downside of a Google --> MSFS mod would be that you probably couldn't stream the assets in on demand, but would have to download big honking mod packs for every location you want.

Great, I just need 2 petabytes of local storage now. So I guess not only is FS2020 the new Crysis in terms of required CPU/GPU horsepower, its also the new Call of Duty Warzone in terms of required disk space.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Just LOL if you're not running a 48U server rack with 4 petabytes of local storage!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Someone needs to add this ship and flight model so I can zoom around the world sightseeing.

This would also be acceptable

Gimmie the Ship of the Imagination from Cosmos

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

JayKay posted:

This Cell Phone Stand placed between my yoke and keyboard.

The angle seems a little wonky, but it seems to work fine. It actually works really well placed on top of the yoke, or just behind it.

Thanks. I picked up a $10 phone tripod at Target this morning and it seems to work

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Someone just go all out and mod Kerbal Space Program into the game.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
So, I may be dumb, so help me out here.

Is the TBM still utterly incomplete? I notice that I can't load up an approach procedure if I didn't choose one in the World Map menu before starting the flight. Am I doing something wrong?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Gimme a Skyranger with a deployable XCOM team.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Macintosh HD posted:

So, I may be dumb, so help me out here.

Is the TBM still utterly incomplete? I notice that I can't load up an approach procedure if I didn't choose one in the World Map menu before starting the flight. Am I doing something wrong?

I used this video to get acquainted with the G3000 and it seems to work (so far)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbdmBcsk6OA

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I used this video to get acquainted with the G3000 and it seems to work (so far)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbdmBcsk6OA

Are you able to select an approach on the touch screen if you just picked a direct VOR flight in the world map?

EDIT: For clarity, that's what I'm unable to do. I expect that I should be able to do that.

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 28, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Macintosh HD posted:

Are you able to select an approach on the touch screen if you just picked a direct VOR flight in the world map?

EDIT: For clarity, that's what I'm unable to do. I expect that I should be able to do that.
If you check your flight plan in the console does it have the airport as a waypoint?

The airport waypoint feeds into the approach and arrival functions. If the VOR setup in the map flight planner isn't including it, you can add it in. If it's in there and it still doesn't populate in the screens, then yeah it's probably bugged.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i hope they fix the flight portion of flight simulator to be even close to good before further fixing the gigantic geographic leap the simulator made

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Zero One posted:

Someone just go all out and mod Kerbal Space Program into the game.

You can actually use the developer menu to go up to 275,000 feet, so it'd actually be pretty awesome if someone modded in the Space Shuttle so you could try landing it at Kennedy Space Center!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wooten posted:

It's interesting to me what they decided to add as landmarks. They have fly geyser in nevada, which is right next to burning man, but if you fly over burning man right next door it loads a town with factories and stuff on the empty festival area. Why would they add a custom landmark that sits next to a much better known landmark and not clean the other landmark up at least a little? It definitely points to how rushed everything was.

I mean, it’s the entire world. I can’t blame them for missing parts

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is importing Google maps data an actual thing that can happen?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Macintosh HD posted:

I've been successfully putting in approaches into the TBM garmin, but not 100% of airports have the correct approaches in my experience.

I put in the origin airport first, then destination airport. Then go back to MFD main menu and hit Procedures and select the landing procedure I want. Then hit activate and load, and you should be good to go!

Actually only found one airport so far that is missing procedures but I'm sure there are plenty more.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Popete posted:

When you start a campaign you can select your rank. From the difficulty settings you should be able to set an option to start near your objective.

So this doesn't seem right, the options for starting rank are either command unit by appointment, at the beginning or not at all. And in the realism options there's only the setting to start in air rather than on the runway. I think the BoX series just hates the way i want to fly :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm just flying over Brazil and there was an airport tagged SV80 and an airfield SV31. I tried to find information about them on Google, which pretends there's no such thing. Is there any comprehensive list of airports to search in?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

Is importing Google maps data an actual thing that can happen?

It has already happened. People are posting a lot of small changes and improvements to their cities using Google maps data in the MSFS reddit, the problem is it's all piecemeal. It really needs to be collected up into one universal package.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It sucks that we'll pretty much never get that officially because google maps is a competing product, so they are stuck with whatever is in Bing maps or whatever it's called.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm just flying over Brazil and there was an airport tagged SV80 and an airfield SV31. I tried to find information about them on Google, which pretends there's no such thing. Is there any comprehensive list of airports to search in?

Are you sure you're not over Venezuela? SV- prefix is usually Venezuelan airports.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
The addon market for scenery will surely explode. Honestly, there's a lot of great stuff already and were I flying FS2020 right now I'd already have rebought OrbX's Tacoma Narrows (aside: the default one is actually alright, but missing a couple key details).

Once there's actual useful documentation for the SDK we'll likely see a lot of free stuff showing up that's just that: straight imports of Google and other data for scenery. If it's true that's it's fairly similar to FSX, it wouldn't even be that hard to learn and do yourself if you're willing to put in the time. People (including myself) do this all the time in X-Plane for orthographic imagery and autogen, this kind of thing de rigueur for flight sims.

What I hope happens is people will glom around a certain set of standards to hopefully lower the barrier of entry. Things have gotten a little easier for ortho in X-Plane, but it's still a bear to do some times.

EDIT: I'm very glad to get away from landclass, once FS2020 is in good working order, this is absolutely a huge step forward to have by default in a flight simulator.

Gomez Chamberlain fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 28, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sadly, though, anything containing Google assets is going to have to be installed and maintained the old fashioned way, Microsoft could never allow it to be posted to the in-game market, even as a free open source add-on.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That unknown friend guy I spotted on the globe yesterday came from my Steam friend list. Seems it's integrated.

Negostrike posted:

Are you sure you're not over Venezuela? SV- prefix is usually Venezuelan airports.
Seems you're right.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fortunately, though, anything containing Google assets will have to be released for free, so at least people won't be pulling an OrbX with them and gouging you twenty bucks for a pack containing 5 low-res 3D models of famous landmarks.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

MikeJF posted:

Sadly, though, anything containing Google assets is going to have to be installed and maintained the old fashioned way, Microsoft could never allow it to be posted to the in-game market, even as a free open source add-on.

There's a lot of room for a community solution here. In X-Plane, I've been using X-Organizer ever since it became available, and things like this make it so much easier to manage addons. Most of what it's doing is just reading directories and adding the requisite config file entries for you. Something like this is likely to be very possible in FS2020.

It did cost :10bux: but for what it does, and for that price, that opens up a lot of things. Hopefully there's not some bullshit licensing in FS2020 but if OrbX can use their manager I can't imagine someone else couldn't make one.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Hopefully what it does is give Microsoft a good reason to move forward with improving Bing maps stuff and doing more aerial scanning. They can market Bing maps through MSFS, and have another reason to improve Bing maps to also improve the game.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Combat Pretzel posted:

That unknown friend guy I spotted on the globe yesterday came from my Steam friend list. Seems it's integrated.

Seems you're right.

Ahh well I was on the right mark with the friends list :P I have the Windows version.

But I did find an airstrip in Buttonwillow CA for example that I can't find any IRL info on. I'm not sure if it really is one or just a straight line it picked up? Now that I know about Skyvector I should try and track the code down again and look it up there.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
That's all to say this is a platform, they all are, and there will always be hoops to jump through to do cool poo poo. I hope though with the influx of people in the hobby the hoops get bigger and fewer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

piratepilates posted:

Hopefully what it does is give Microsoft a good reason to move forward with improving Bing maps stuff and doing more aerial scanning. They can market Bing maps through MSFS, and have another reason to improve Bing maps to also improve the game.

This is what I assumed Flight Sim was for. To market Microsoft's other products and how they can integrate into things like a game. No point in marketing it if their product is inferior to Google's.

Edit: Though maybe this is a backdoor way to get nerds to update bing maps for free.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 28, 2020

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was funny when I tried to find the Apple campus because I thought it'd be easy to spot from the air and then I realized that the data was from way before construction even began, there isn't any trace of it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

soggybagel posted:

Someone better Mod in a flying saucer.

I recommend the Ka-50.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Is there a good combat sim to play now that I have a HOTAS, I tried out DCS and it was okay but all the cool planes are 80 dollars a piece :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dear God the loading times in All Player mode in more popular areas is annoying as gently caress.

--edit:
Trying to make it work with my friend, seems rather finicky.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 28, 2020

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Is there a good combat sim to play now that I have a HOTAS, I tried out DCS and it was okay but all the cool planes are 80 dollars a piece :(

Try out IL2's BoX series: https://store.steampowered.com/app/307960/IL2_Sturmovik_Battle_of_Stalingrad/

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

For modern planes, it's basically DCS World or downloading a supermod of the old Falcon 4.0 game (Falcon BMS). I think there are some other older/indie'ish titles but I know zilch about them.

DCS modules go on sale pretty regularly, especially the older ones, so you can often grab them for $25 or so. It'll be a while before the newest hot poo poo is discounted that much, but there's plenty of fun to be had with the older modules, such as the F-5E. There's also the Flaming Cliffs bundle, which contains the F-15C, A-10A, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-29A, MiG-29S and Su-25. None of these have clickable cockpits (i.e. you have to use keyboard/HOTAS buttons for stuff) but they all have satisfying flight models, and there's a good variety of poo poo there.

For WW2, check out the IL-2 Great Battles series, such as Battle of Stalingrad/Kuban/Bodenplatte/etc. There's also a WW1 module, Flying Circus. War Thunder (F2P) also has a Simulator Mode designed for HOTAS players.

If you want to dick around with something for free, then try the demo of Rise of Flight, which includes two planes. These old planes are very easy to get up and going, since this is back when planes were simple, but they are also very... interesting to fly in combat, since this is back when planes were pieces of poo poo.

Shine fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 28, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For jets that's it. Someone might show up to recommend Falcon BMS to you, but don't believe them.

For what it's worth, the Su-25T is actually pretty fun because it has ridiculously huge Russian weapons, and if you aren't concerned about clickable cockpit the Flaming Cliffs pack comes with a number of planes.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i got the mig 21 and the f-86 sabre for super cheap and they're excellent fun planes, but i don't mp or anything. i used the f-5 during the free trial and that thing was awesome too

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I would love a tool to just import Google map data where I feel like flying myself on the fly, but I'm sure it isn't that easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

So when I fly around I see a lot of nametags close by but no planes. Why is that? I don't have "use optimized planes" checked on for multiplayer but I have only seen two actual aircraft nearby, despite the tag distance being less than a few thousand feet.

Also is there any global chat?