Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Julias posted:

I like how the MHA thread constantly devolves into chatting about other shonen series instead :allears:

Anyways Orochimaru getting amnesty always read as all the kages admitting that if Orochinaru didn't resurrect the hokages, then Madara/Kaguya would have won, and thinking to themselves that if they killed him, he'd just revive himself via another bullshit backup scheme. I could also definitely see Naruto stepping in and saying "ehhh don't do human experiments anymore and we're fine" to go along with the theme of the Pain arc.

I assume the ninja CIA is all over Orochimaru's lab, even if he's aware of it and they're doing a little dance of mutual intelligence-gathering. we're all buds now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Chapter

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-282/chapter/21193?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007488

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Man, I really like how intense all of the action shots in this chapter were. And you guys weren't kidding about how hardcore Aizawa was, drat. Great chapter to look at and read.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Who was it that predicted Todoroki was the third light?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wonder if Shigaraki managed to successfully blind Aizawa or if it's going to be another Hood/Endeavor situation.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Aizawa was very much prepared to chop off his leg, but it looks like he does't get a chance. He flinches, which lets Shigraki use a shockwave to launch himself and attempt to gouge out his eyes. Unclear if Shigaraki was successful, but he did make Eraserhead lose eye contact.

Duku used his arm at 100%. :ohdear: That's uh, bye-bye mobility in his left arm, right? Or I guess it would be, but it looks like he can wrap it in black whip and move it around that way.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Aizawa was very much prepared to chop off his leg, but it looks like he does't get a chance. He flinches, which lets Shigraki use a shockwave to launch himself and attempt to gouge out his eyes. Unclear if Shigaraki was successful, but he did make Eraserhead lose eye contact.

On page 6, panel 1 you can see his lower leg clearly separated from his knee. He flinched because of the extreme pain of chopping off your own leg.

Shigaraki praises Eraser for actually going through with chopping his leg off on the next panel where he's flinching from the pain.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

SKULL.GIF posted:

On page 6, panel 1 you can see his lower leg clearly separated from his knee. He flinched because of the extreme pain of chopping off your own leg.

Shigaraki praises Eraser for actually going through with chopping his leg off on the next panel where he's flinching from the pain.

Oh, I took that for a really floppy broken leg, but yeah that's reasonable. Holy gently caress that's a sharp knife though. Like one slice at a bad angle sharp. I guess he cut it where it was broken, but still.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Aight so with the cleaner scan it looks like Aizawa's left eye is still open a sliver, so it looks like Shiggy didn't succeed in completely blinding him. Time will tell though, I guess.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bible Ian Black posted:

Aight so with the cleaner scan it looks like Aizawa's left eye is still open a sliver, so it looks like Shiggy didn't succeed in completely blinding him. Time will tell though, I guess.

Shiggy says "Oh so I guess you protected him, Oh well that just delays the inevitable" after getting knocked away from Eraserhead by Todoroki's arrival. He's got his eyes still

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There's some amazing expressions in this chapter - Endeavor's first panel, Deku getting blown away by Shiggy, and "Finally I'm about to clear this stupid game" is the face everyone makes after they finally reach the end of an absolutely brutal section with one hit point and no items left

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Shigaraki bitting Deku and ruining his jaw.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I can't tell if he caught Deku's arm in his mouth or if Deku just punched through his face.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pretty hardcore even if it all regenerated back.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Trivia!

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1300115123718115329?s=19

One thing of note is that Eraserhead takes the bullet in his already hosed up leg, so him chopping it off makes even more sense. Hopefully Endeavor has enough juice to cauterize it though :ohdear:

Also, with Todoroki here, are we gonna see him cooling off his dad and tag teaming to hold Shiggy off?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think the paneling was pretty bad this chapter, not gunna lie. The action is pretty hard to follow, and seemingly important moments aren't given attention. Shouldn't it be a somewhat big deal that Aizawa cut off his own drat leg? Yet it's drawn so tiny and out of the way that it's very very easy to miss - and even if you don't, it's hard to tell what he's doing anyways. Deku's Wyoming smash is a... Elbow drop I guess? So how does Shiggy bite his arm? Did he catch Deku's arm in his mouth? But Deku clearly hits the back of his head. Is Deku punching his mouth? What's happening? Bakugo destroying the other bullet really doesn't come across clearly either. I can barely tell who's hand it is, and even after being told it's the bullet being burned up I still can't see it. Basically all the scenes with Deku grappling Shiggy look like a jumbled mess. Did Aizawa blink at the end there? If so, that's a huge loving deal, why is it not made more clear or have any attention drawn to it? Shiggy apparently used a "shockwave" to get away from Deku, but how did he do that? Did he just somehow suddenly overpower Deku and jump away? But wasn't he all tied up and had Deku's arm in his mouth?? I also didn't notice Deku even grabbed Shoggy's leg with the black tendril until the above tweet pointed it out, and it certainly doesn't read that Deku's pulling him away from Aizawa - a tiny little "yank" sfx doesn't cut it. Granted, maybe some of these things are intentionally ambiguous to make for more clarification later on, but it just feels sloppy imo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've been kinda ready for Horikoshi to get the gently caress on with it for like two months now. Like, at this point we get it. Just knock Shiggy out and do your time skip.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Aizawa....is a pretty cool guy....

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

also my prophecy is one step closer to completion

rannum posted:

Gigantomachia's internal thoughts: I may have effortless broke through all her plans and all the heroes on the way to Master but somehow...it feels like I'm the one who TRULY lost

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So Gang Orca and presumably anyone else at his level is down, Shiggy is back to full strength, and Machia is booking it at 100mph if the completely unaware civilians are anything to go by. They are fuuuuuuuucked.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Yeah, unless Deku magics another Quirk out of a hat, they're turbofucked.

The action is really hard to read, and what can be seen sometimes doesn't make sense. It's gorgeous but all over the place.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

rannum posted:

also my prophecy is one step closer to completion

It'll turn out that Momo's distraction slowed down Gigantomachia just enough that he arrives just as Shigaraki gets KO'd or passes out from being at only 75%. Machia then grabs Shigaraki and books it to safety.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Find myself thinking that Mt Lady + the kids subduing Gigantomachia would've been better for the narrative. For one, it gives Mt Lady/Midnight/Momo a win when they've just not had one, but Shigaraki learning his trump card is out of play would be a good excuse to let him bail out of the fight. He can still have this brawl, fire the deleter round to get Aizawa off his case, and use the space he creates to flee to rescue Giga and the rest of the League.

Deku's momentarily out of commission from consecutive 100% attacks, Bakugo isn't able to stop Shigaraki solo and knows it, the pro heroes are beat to poo poo. Shiggy blows in to free his comrades before they teleport out or whatever.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This was a 16 page chapter that really feels like it needed another 3 pages to clear up the action. Still really tense stuff though- even if the heroes somehow drive everyone off I can't imagine the damage gigantomachia is going to do not reflecting poorly on the heroes' inability to stop him when it counted.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Skypie posted:

Find myself thinking that Mt Lady + the kids subduing Gigantomachia would've been better for the narrative. For one, it gives Mt Lady/Midnight/Momo a win when they've just not had one, but Shigaraki learning his trump card is out of play would be a good excuse to let him bail out of the fight. He can still have this brawl, fire the deleter round to get Aizawa off his case, and use the space he creates to flee to rescue Giga and the rest of the League.

Deku's momentarily out of commission from consecutive 100% attacks, Bakugo isn't able to stop Shigaraki solo and knows it, the pro heroes are beat to poo poo. Shiggy blows in to free his comrades before they teleport out or whatever.

This can still totally happen. Momo said that the more Machia moved the faster the anesthetic will work on him so him collapsing out of nowhere can still happen. Shigaraki stopping on the edge of total victory to help his allies would really show how far he's come and tie a bow on the evil friendship theme.

My money is still on either Shigaraki collapsing himself or Deku unlocking Float and dragging him high enough that they both faint from lack of air or something similar though. I think Float is going to happen since it was highlighted right before this arc started to be expected soon.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 30, 2020

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
One big non-obvious thing heroes have going for them is that with Todoroki there to act as a cooling unit, Endeavor can completely ignore the downsides of his quirk and go really all out, which might be enough to give even current Shigaraki a pause. Also Eraserhead just flinched, (and cut his own leg, which uuuuhhh...might be a bit of an issue) he doesn't appear to be unconscious or anything, so the possibility of him re-canceling Shigaraki quirks is still in the game...

Overall, I'm still pretty hyped tbh. This chapter basically served to further highlight Shigaraki's competence and power and how much of an badass Eraserhead is, and as far as I am concerned that's a good use of a chapter.The only sour note is that it seems that Momo's plan failed and Gigantomachia is on his merry way to Shigaraki, because of course, but I am pretty much past caring about that particular issue.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Momo is actually the traitor and instead of anesthetic, she tricked the class into giving him the quirk boosting drug. :tinfoil:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the tensions set up kinda cool though rn. both machia and shiggy are rapidly gaining in power rn as in they're beating their enemies real fast but they're also supposed to be on ticking clocks, the anasthetic and the 75% thing. makes us worry about how crippled our heroes will get while knowing that the core components will remain intact reasonably within the framework of the story

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It also depends on how many heroes are permanently down. I mean, Recovery Girl still exists so even if everyone at the mansion is KO'd if they aren't dead or crippled she could spend a week or two and get most of them back on their feet. So I wonder how bad it really is- it probably is going to be pretty bad since Horikoshi correctly addressed the fact that any losses from the PLA or villain side didn't matter all that much so long as Twice lived, so Twice had to die.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

It also depends on how many heroes are permanently down. I mean, Recovery Girl still exists so even if everyone at the mansion is KO'd if they aren't dead or crippled she could spend a week or two and get most of them back on their feet. So I wonder how bad it really is- it probably is going to be pretty bad since Horikoshi correctly addressed the fact that any losses from the PLA or villain side didn't matter all that much so long as Twice lived, so Twice had to die.

The last time we saw Midnight a PLA villain was going for the coup de grace on her with no one around (even narratively) to bail her out as they were all either at the mansion or were chasing after Machia with Majestic's help.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Fabricated posted:

Can Recovery Girl regrow limbs/body parts though?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It occurs to me that Endeavor is the only hero who has actually beaten Super Regeneration, against High End and the Black Nomu he fought in Hosu. All Might only managed to overpower the USJ Nomu's Shock Absorption. Presumably once it landed, it would have been able to keep moving and fighting if it was sentient in any way.

Endeavor is truly the Number One Hero and our only hope at defeating Shigaraki.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Recovery Girl can only speed up normal recovery, she can't do poo poo about missing limbs or other permanent injuries.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Neo_Crimson posted:

Can Recovery Girl regrow limbs/body parts though?
No, which is why I mentioned crippled alongside dead as factors. If most of the heroes are injured so badly they can't fight anymore even after being healed that would count as their losses being accounted for. I imagine that'll probably be the case but we'll need to see.

If we get one, I wonder what the biggest emotional gut punch in the arc is going to be. It'll either be whatever happens with this fight with Shigaraki or in the denouement- like Shigaraki and the league have to retreat somewhere because gigantomachia and Shigaraki pass out, and the big "oh poo poo" moment is literally just everyone finding out the casualty count and reacting to it. Say, instead of cutting back to the mansion before finishing this fight out- the fight just concludes however it's going to conclude and you find out what happened to the mansion crew in a debriefing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fabricated posted:

Say, instead of cutting back to the mansion before finishing this fight out- the fight just concludes however it's going to conclude and you find out what happened to the mansion crew in a debriefing.

We also have to find out what happened to the other heroes (Wash, etc.) that were ambiguously caught in Shigaraki's awakening Decay wave.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

We also have to find out what happened to the other heroes (Wash, etc.) that were ambiguously caught in Shigaraki's awakening Decay wave.

I hope the Wild Wild Pussycats made it out okay, poor Kota has suffered enough.

Rock Lock also needs to survive after he made it past all those death flags in the Overhaul arc.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

This is all going to be nice to see animated. Rip the poor team that has to animate it though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fat and Useless posted:

This is all going to be nice to see animated. Rip the poor team that has to animate it though.

Speaking of, has there been any announcement regarding Season 5 yet (not sure how long the gap usually is between anime adaptations)?

On that subject, I kind of hope My Villain Academia winds up getting its own unique OP, ED, and possibly even title card (hell, maybe have one of the LOV do the usual opening monologue and episode preview as well)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 31, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's no release date set yet. My guess is early 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Neat.

https://twitter.com/shibuyasmash/status/1300298495379664897?s=20