Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Yiggy posted:

“This card doesn’t seem to get out of my hand much. I’ll just swap it for Nissa and- ah dammit!”

You could not live with your brew, and where did that bring you? Back to Nissa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I think I'm done with Amonkhet draft after 18 runs. Games started to feel really similar and at double set size it's not worth grinding out to a full rare set. I'm at level 89 in the mastery pass so I guess I'm in "do your dailies and quit" mode till Zendikar Rises.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They should expand Brawl to the full historic card pool and then ban Agent of Treachery. It’s still just the strongest card in the format and Thassa’s ubiquity with all the ETBs floating around just means every single match up vs a blue deck is this count down until they draw it and if you don’t have the perfect piece of interaction the game is over.

Historic Brawl would be a truly unique, high power format and I hope WotC pushes it out

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

thespaceinvader posted:

On a completely different note, because I keep wondering about it, what's the theoretical maximum power you can swing with on turn 2 that doesn't involve one-round pumps?

Is it possible to do better than 3 Fervent Champions?

7 is doable if you don't care about it staying on the board with any 1-power drop and 2 Infuriate, can you get to 8? I can't think of a red 2-x for 1 though.

If your opponent kills like 12 creatures to your him you can attack with a 15 power kraul harpooner given haste with a torch courier from turn 1.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I am playing the Turbo Ikoria draft. I went first, cast my mox-that-taps-for-three-colors, used it to cast thoughtseize-but-it-doesn't-hurt-me and took my opponent's only crystal, leaving them with a hand that they could cast none of the cards in. They immediately hit me with the GG and scooped. It felt good but man I don't know if I've ever seen a format with a bigger draw/go first gap.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Grifter posted:

I am playing the Turbo Ikoria draft. I went first, cast my mox-that-taps-for-three-colors, used it to cast thoughtseize-but-it-doesn't-hurt-me and took my opponent's only crystal, leaving them with a hand that they could cast none of the cards in. They immediately hit me with the GG and scooped. It felt good but man I don't know if I've ever seen a format with a bigger draw/go first gap.

Check out Omniscience drafts if/when they come back. It's this but every spell costs 0 so you don't even bother with land in your deck and just grab all the draw spells.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Lone Goat posted:

Check out Omniscience drafts if/when they come back. It's this but every spell costs 0 so you don't even bother with land in your deck and just grab all the draw spells.
I have never played that but I'll definitely check it out when it comes around. Drafts like that can only get better as Arena continues to grow its card base.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Played in three drafts, went 1-X, 5-X and 7-1

Sadly this format will be unplayable tomorrow as everyone will have figured out to take Crystals and sleeper darts and run 12 land

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Can I get help with 7 Cuts? 18 Creatures 10 lands, 3 Crystals

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
lotta people not playing cycling or decks that beat cycling in this 2021 q smh

planedriver
Jun 2, 2013
Having a lot more fun with this draft compared to Omniscience (I'm still getting quite a few opponents slamming multiple crystals so it's not like it's soft competition)

Thoughts (from two 7 wins):
- Crystals and Shimmerers go last in the packs
- Be wary of blowout Thwart the Enemy, Lurking Deadeye and Blitz Leech (Blitz can pop Shimmerers and other +1/+1 counters)
- Just force Sultai (White feels pretty lackluster and Red is ok)
- Pick 1-2 protection spells (indestructible or Keep Safe), as much hard removal as you can, 1-2 Memory Leak, 5-6 draw two effects
- Start with 13 lands then cut one for each Farfinder or Crystal you pick up
- Don't just play out all your Crystals turn 1 (you might need to cycle them for gas later on)
- Usually better to play 1 threat and hold up mana for removal/counterspells than tap out completely; Ikoria was already pretty swingy but Turbo dials it up to 10
- Do not play any ETB tapped lands (no triomes or gainlands)

odinson posted:

Can I get help with 7 Cuts? 18 Creatures 10 lands, 3 Crystals

I'd cut:
Heightened Senses, Frost Lynx, Anticipate, Facet Reader, 2 Tentative Connection

Then one of:
- Godzilla (4 drop is prob overkill and you have 2 Ivy Elemental already)
- Gust of Wind (Haven't been impressed since most things get played again with almost no tempo loss)
- the last Tentative Connection (Haven't seen this in action but it fits with the deck's fast beater + tempo plan)

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Silly historic deck a friend sent:

Deck
4 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria (DAR) 207
4 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
1 Teferi, Master of Time (M21) 75
4 Gideon of the Trials (AKR) 19
4 Pact of Negation (AKR) 73
4 Chance for Glory (GRN) 159
2 The Royal Scions (ELD) 199
4 Censor (AKR) 52
2 Commit /// Memory (AKR) 54
3 Wrath of God (AKR) 46
4 Raugrin Triome (IKO) 251
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
2 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
3 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
2 Clifftop Retreat (DAR) 239
1 Plains (UST) 212
1 Island (UST) 213
2 Shark Typhoon (IKO) 67
1 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74

Sideboard
2 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
2 Chandra, Awakened Inferno (M20) 127
3 Grafdigger's Cage (M20) 227
2 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
2 Aether Gust (M20) 42
2 Baffling End (RIX) 1
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
1 Whirlwind Denial (THB) 81

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Been playing some Arena since not touching MtG since some casual play back in college. Some of these color challenges are dumb. Like I feel like some of them have 1 very specific way to beat the AI player that involves the AI taking very obvious baits that I don't think a real player would ever take. Like there's a red challenge that involves getting the AI to attack my card that has an ability to add +1 that I would never make if I was on the opposite side.

But I'm prob just trash at magic like I remember being so whatever :shrug:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's not just you the tutorial stuff is dumb and very basically introductory.

Like, that one is designed to teach you not to attack into opposing pump abilities.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sometimes it's hard to teach things without coming up with extremely contrived situations to avoid overwhelming with information

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Replace the tutotials with those Possibility Storm puzzles, Wizards

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, I also found the tutorial a bit tiresome but when you’re trying to make an MTG tutorial that isn’t too intimidating for someone totally unfamilliar with any of the basic concepts, you have to be careful with how much you introduce at a time.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Corbeau posted:

What the actual gently caress. That U/G pile I posted trying to make Amonkhet Nissa work? After a few tweaks, it's winning. Repeatedly. Against meta archetypes like UW control, Rakdos sacrifice, Rakdox/Grixis xerox, multiple Collected Company archetypes... I don't know what's going on. I dropped multiple tiers with the first couple builds, but have gained them all back in a day of near-constant winning. Most opponents just... run out of gas trying to deal with the constant stream of stupid fat asses this deck drops on the table. Pact has to be the all-star though, given that it lets you tap out to apply pressure while still monkey-wrenching the other guy's key component using your mana advantage.

Like by any objective measure this thing cannot be good. There's a better build of this out there somewhere. But just a few card tweaks to add some broken endgame (Henge has been nuts every time I drew it) and Pact to catch stuff like Teferi after I tap out and it's just suddenly rocking people. Gotta be variance, what with all the 1x-2x cards, but that means there's a distilled version out there in the ether that'll do this consistently.

You're playing simic ramp, how do you not expect to do well? You literally ramp and play good cards and win

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“This deck full of chase mythics from the last two years is... good?”

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Bust Rodd posted:

“This deck full of chase mythics from the last two years is... good?”

I don't get it, I must just be so good at magic with my unique deck

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That turbo ramp that 10-0 the Historic Arena tournament is actually really good. 4x Cultivate thins out your deck so much that if you haven't won from a fast ramp you're basically just constantly drawing gas.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Went 7-2 with this in Turbo Draft. Possibly too many lands still; one of my losses was when I drew 4 lands in a row. Obosh was very good, its ability won two games where opponents chose not to block. Dark Bargain is another very good card, given how cheap it is to cast and then play what you find. I didn't run into as much removal as I expected. Anything with menace or a mutate ability like Cavern Whisperer was also good.

Also, I didn't pick up any because I missed the second half of its ability, but Blitz Leech had a good effect on a couple games. Removing all counters is powerful if you've pumped up a creature or played something like Adaptive Shimmerer.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Eej posted:

That turbo ramp that 10-0 the Historic Arena tournament is actually really good. 4x Cultivate thins out your deck so much that if you haven't won from a fast ramp you're basically just constantly drawing gas.

Anything with Shifting ceratops is just beautiful. Watching a monoblue who left up spell pierce but not aether gust go from highlighting their hand to highlighting the ceratops and back before watching two curious obsession self saccing is a perfect sunday afternoon.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Sedisp posted:

Anything with Shifting ceratops is just beautiful. Watching a monoblue who left up spell pierce but not aether gust go from highlighting their hand to highlighting the ceratops and back before watching two curious obsession self saccing is a perfect sunday afternoon.

No that’s a terrible Sunday afternoon

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Has anyone been playing with -1/-1 counters with the Amonkhet cards in Historic? I've been having so much janky fun with Nest of Scarabs, Obelisk Spider, and Carnifex Demon. :allears:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

ngl, getting pretty sick of getting paired up against Mythic opponents with busted draft decks despite being permanently stuck in D4

e: getting paired down against plat opponents is fine though, like this fine shame-conceder

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 31, 2020

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

got a shark typhoon in turbo draft and im having the time of my life running every draw/counter i can

this is 100% better than omniscience, and should come back

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Varinn posted:

got a shark typhoon in turbo draft and im having the time of my life running every draw/counter i can

this is 100% better than omniscience, and should come back

Currently I accidently overvalued crystals since they are like moxes and I'm left with a deck of 6 crystals and nothing good to use them on. Oops

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
Turbo draft is pretty fun. I went 7-1 with this pile, helpfully split into 0-drops, 1-drops, and 2-drops:

Between crystals and fairly aggressive mulligans, I could either drop a good bit of my hand on turn 1, reload it with draw spells, or both. I definitely undervalued counterspells, but otherwise it's fun to see what cardss suddenly jump from anything from mediocre to unplayable, all the way up to first picks. All that said, I think playing it a couple times is enough. It's so luck-heavy, and I can't even imagine what the play-draw splits are like.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Billy Gnosis posted:

Currently I accidently overvalued crystals since they are like moxes and I'm left with a deck of 6 crystals and nothing good to use them on. Oops

from what I can tell the bots are drafting normally, so its seems like they're almost guaranteed to wheel, which is nice

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wish I didn’t already have a playset of every Ikoria rare, otherwise Turbo sounds like good value.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Getting in a ceremonial draft before the month ends, and I managed 7-2 with this mono-white pile. P1P1 was Linden and I took it as a sign.

Very few people are playing Eldraine Quick Draft, and my Bronze was matched up against a couple of Gold and a couple of Platinum players because that's all that was available.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Kind of at an impasse. I enjoy playing my own rogue poo poo but want to build an actual meta deck for when I'm running bad and feel embarrassed from dropping into the 80s. With the WCs I have(counting the season rewards tomorrow anyway), I could finish out RUG adventures in Standard, which is also presumably gonna be a good deck po-ro, or save for a little while longer and finish out the obnoxious Bant ramp deck in Historic because I was too dumb to use my spare Mythic WCs on Uros when I was flush with them. Very tough decision!!

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Kind of at an impasse. I enjoy playing my own rogue poo poo but want to build an actual meta deck for when I'm running bad and feel embarrassed from dropping into the 80s. With the WCs I have(counting the season rewards tomorrow anyway), I could finish out RUG adventures in Standard, which is also presumably gonna be a good deck po-ro, or save for a little while longer and finish out the obnoxious Bant ramp deck in Historic because I was too dumb to use my spare Mythic WCs on Uros when I was flush with them. Very tough decision!!
Not to out myself as a ~SICKO~ but Temur Adventures is really fun to play and the mirror matches are great too. The deck scales up really well in the late game thanks to the wishboard and you can do all sorts of cool things.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Alright I hit mythic for the first time ever with 18 hours left in the season!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I built Temur Adventures with a wishboard in best of one and I use Song of Creation as my draw engine instead of Escape to the Wilds. It's seriously some of the most fun I've ever had on Arena. The wishboard was too hard to figure out but luckily Huey jensen was also really into this deck and put work in.

Deck
4 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44
3 Forest (UST) 216
4 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
1 Mountain (UST) 215
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
2 Island (UST) 213
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Beanstalk Giant (ELD) 149
4 Lucky Clover (ELD) 226
3 Song of Creation (IKO) 210
2 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
3 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath (THB) 229
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Ketria Triome (IKO) 250
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
2 Fabled Passage (M21) 246

Sideboard
1 Aether Gust (M20) 42
1 Escape to the Wilds (ELD) 189
1 Rhythm of the Wild (RNA) 201
1 Discontinuity (M21) 48
1 Shadowspear (THB) 236
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
1 Once and Future (ELD) 168
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon (M21) 1
1 Unsummon (M20) 78
1 Fling (ELD) 126
1 Return to Nature (WAR) 175
1 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
1 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries (WAR) 54
1 Storm's Wrath (THB) 157
1 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Funkdreamer posted:

Not to out myself as a ~SICKO~ but Temur Adventures is really fun to play and the mirror matches are great too. The deck scales up really well in the late game thanks to the wishboard and you can do all sorts of cool things.

Hmm I'll probably go that route then, though I'm telling myself I'll wait until season rewards. If I open a Mythic WC I'll probably just wait so I can snap up all my Uros in one go but otherwise Adventures away

Bust Rodd posted:

I built Temur Adventures with a wishboard in best of one and I use Song of Creation as my draw engine instead of Escape to the Wilds. It's seriously some of the most fun I've ever had on Arena. The wishboard was too hard to figure out but luckily Huey jensen was also really into this deck and put work in.

Thanks. I was definitely concerned it might be too on-rails but looks like there's a fair bit of flexibility in the shell too so that's reassuring

Mezzanon posted:

Hell yeah brother. Congrats, the first time is so loving satisfying

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Hell yeah brother. Congrats, the first time is so loving satisfying

Yeah it was entirely on the back of historic best of 3 while piloting bant spirits (I’m still waiting for them to print the rest of the cards for that deck into historic). Tempo forever

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Congrats? Thoughts on the list and how it matches up vs the field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

fadam posted:

Congrats? Thoughts on the list and how it matches up vs the field?

Well it seems fine against citadel because you’ve got tempo and countermagic game 1 and Rest In Peace game 2.

Good against the 3 color (bant, grixis, etc) piles because you just out value them.

Iffy against goblins (I’m running settle in the side)

Elves is an absolute dogshit game 1