Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m actually wondering how they could have made Endgame work without the 2012 NYC 3 stone multiball that they accidentally ended up with. I guess getting each stone was separate enough it wouldn’t have padded the runtime that much, but it was cool they managed to bring the first avengers movie into the last one like that without it being planned in advance.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Avengers ends with him talking about courting death.

Ultron ends with him saying "I'll do it myself", at which point he gets another army, another group of minions and almost immediately begins delegating.

I don’t think he has any of his agents running around independently after that. There’s the black order but infinity war shows them under his direct command decades before and his collecting the stones starts with him tearing poo poo up personally at the end of Thor 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yeah, the early post-credits scenes don't really work at all and I think the Russos or the screenwriters straight up said at one point that they didn't really care too much about them because they didn't make those films and didn't want to be constrained by them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ah, my bad. Like I said I haven't watched those early ones since I've seen Endgame. So I haven't really tried to piece it all together to see if it works yet.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Maybe the "I'll do it myself" ending was him grabbing his oven glove because people had hosed up baking so he was gonna bake those cookies himself

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rewatching BP now and I never noticed that Killmonger takes the Black Panther necklace that T'Challa rejects earlier in the movie as too flashy, heh

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think retroactively you can assume Thanos wanted Earth invaded so he could wipe out half the population manually like he did with Gamora's planet. If the Avengers had lost, Loki would be king and Thanos would let him be so long as Loki was happy to arrange the mass executions of half of the humans of Earth. I'm not sure it is clear when Thanos really started going after the stones proper but my head canon is that he probably considered it perhaps never happening, so was happy to do the culling with executions as much as possible on certain planets. My read on Thanos is that he's a psychopath who gets off on murder but likes to wrap it up in philosophical justifications, bit like Jigsaw in Saw.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well he has Gamora and Ronan going after the Power Stone in Guardians. But yeah, my head canon is that the Stones were a long term goal but they were all hidden/lost/protected so its not like he could just grab them any time. So he was trying to genocide the old fashioned way while also working on that easier solution on the side. Then like Jane Foster finds the Reality Stone and Strange awakens the Time Stone. I like the poetic idea of Thanos only being able to find the Stones because of the Avengers' adventures exposing them all. And then Ragnarok probably creates the perfect time for Thanos to go after them all.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Don't they literally say in endgame that he didn't seriously make a grab for all the gems until he discovered that gamora knew where the soul gem was

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He gets the information originally from torturing/hacking Nebula so yeah, I guess that was the last one. Then time travel gets him that info pre-Guardians but I can't really remember the timeline or if he just found out where the Soul Stone was from Nebula or the location of all the Stones.

I gotta give Endgame a second watch. Which means just doing the whole drat thing over.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Karloff posted:

I think retroactively you can assume Thanos wanted Earth invaded so he could wipe out half the population manually like he did with Gamora's planet. If the Avengers had lost, Loki would be king and Thanos would let him be so long as Loki was happy to arrange the mass executions of half of the humans of Earth. I'm not sure it is clear when Thanos really started going after the stones proper but my head canon is that he probably considered it perhaps never happening, so was happy to do the culling with executions as much as possible on certain planets. My read on Thanos is that he's a psychopath who gets off on murder but likes to wrap it up in philosophical justifications, bit like Jigsaw in Saw.

See that I get, the issue is that there's this whole complicated plot to get there when he could have just headed over

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Thanos being dishonest, even with himself, about his motives would fit really well with the comic character, but I don't think it would mesh very well with the movie character's ending in Infinity War and Endgame.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It can all be written off as the Russos having to work around Whedon's bullshit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the official explanation was that Thanos didn’t want to move openly until the location of the Soul gem was found because then other forces could gather to oppose him.

Once he has a way to get that info, he gets them all within like a day.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

No matter how you justify it narratively it still comes across like he spent decades sitting on his rear end before getting even a single stone.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

So he’s a bit of a schlub, it’s endearing.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

His chair might not look comfortable, but trust me, it's very ergonomic. He didn't want to have to get up unless it was really go time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

No matter how you justify it narratively it still comes across like he spent decades sitting on his rear end before getting even a single stone.

He had the Mind Stone and lost it in one of his many bad hiring decisions.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

THANOS: Oh, that’s great. The guy who’s dirty dancing with his niece is going to tell the guy in the thirty-six hundred dollar gauntlet how to run the business. Come on.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Retro Futurist posted:

Rewatching The Avengers, and man Thanos' involvement makes less sense here than in Ultron.
He hands Loki the mind stone and sends him to invade earth to take the tesseract (presumably he also knows the time stone is there), but the entire plot is based around Loki powering the tesseract up enough to pull the Chitauri army through, and there's just no reason to believe he can't just roll up and do it himself anyways. Space travel in the later movies shows it to be nothing, and even if it took him a while he's not really in a rush at any point anyways.

Well actually the tesseract has the space stone in there so I believe you will find that Thanos' actions make complete sense.

:goonsay:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The wife and I watched Civil War on Saturday to commemorate Chadwick Boseman's death. Even though I had to keep assuring her that he was in the film and didn't just show up at the ending.

One thing I noticed is the speech King T'Chacka gave he is upfront about Wakanda having Vibrinium, where as in the Black Panther movie it's a major secret.

Goof? Or is it a sign that T'Chacka was going to change Wakanda's role in the world before his untimely death.

Speaking of, the speech Boseman gave after his father died is really haunting, especially now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Isn't the secret how much Vibranium they have (and their overall technological status) rather than its existence? I can't remember.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Also, remember, Thanos is insane.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Isn't the secret how much Vibranium they have (and their overall technological status) rather than its existence? I can't remember.

Yeah I think in Black Panther Ross has some dialogue that suggests they know it was there, but that they'd been assured it was all gone now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Yeah I think in Black Panther Ross has some dialogue that suggests they know it was there, but that they'd been assured it was all gone now.

Tony Stark mentions in Age of Ultron that Wakanda is known to have vibranium, that's Ultron was working with Klaw.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yes. People know they have vibranium, but they claim that it takes decades to mine even small amounts, that all their mines are played out, and that Klaw essentially stole their entire working supply.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Tony Stark mentions in Age of Ultron that Wakanda is known to have vibranium, that's Ultron was working with Klaw.

Cap's shield is made of vibranium. Howard Stark talks about it in Cap 1.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

notthegoatseguy posted:

Cap's shield is made of vibranium. Howard Stark talks about it in Cap 1.

Howard Stark totally stole that Vibranium. Or at least paid someone who stole it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

Howard Stark totally stole that Vibranium. Or at least paid someone who stole it.

Really wish they'd stuck with "Your industrialist dad was a bad person" in Iron Man 2 instead of making it a big misunderstanding.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Really wish they'd stuck with "Your industrialist dad was a bad person" in Iron Man 2 instead of making it a big misunderstanding.

Yeah, most definitely.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I feel like Howard was as bad as most capitalist industrialists. Which is to say, he probably never had anyone directly murdered but like, he's a little responsible. Howard Stark would get the guillotine is what I'm saying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That would genuinely have been such a ridiculous improvement.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I feel like Howard was as bad as most capitalist industrialists. Which is to say, he probably never had anyone directly murdered but like, he's a little responsible. Howard Stark would get the guillotine is what I'm saying.

I mean to be fair so would most of the Avengers. They are either absurdly wealthy, war criminals, or propaganda tools.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 31, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Rewatching it now and he straight up accuses Klaue of stealing "all of it".

Also I hope they somehow do BP2 as a prequel, because Sirkis is just absolutely delightful in this, and Sterling K. Brown is great with what he has but he's pretty wasted on a 2 min role.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 31, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Don't they literally say in endgame that he didn't seriously make a grab for all the gems until he discovered that gamora knew where the soul gem was

Did they ever say how Gamora knew that? I haven't rewatched either Guardians in a long while but it seemed really random.

ImpAtom posted:

That would genuinely have been such a ridiculous improvement.

I mean to be fair so would most of the Avengers. They are either absurdly wealthy, war criminals, or propaganda tools.

Tony's all three!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They never say, it’s just on an old mission before she even turned on him. She found out and kept it secret.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Hey, welcome aboard Cartridgeblowers as the new thread IK!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

How Wonderful! posted:

Hey, welcome aboard Cartridgeblowers as the new thread IK!

Thank you! I hope to be able to keep us talking about movies here in the brave new world that is one where people have seen New Mutants.

Thread IK
Cartridgeblowers
wait why is his name plural?

Release Date: August 31st, 2020
Cast:
The Poster FKA Little Mac as Cartridgeblowers
Brie Larsen as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel
Stan Lee as Himself
Directed By: Carty "it's the name of my twitch channel, jeez" B
Plot: The Snyder Cut is coming. People have LIVES. So just, like, be chill.
Pandemic Challenges In Filming: Listen, I don't want to talk about MY pandemic experience. I teach from home. It's actually awesome.
Real Trailer
Fake Trailers

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Carty B is a really good pun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah sins-of-the-fathers stuff worked really well for Ragnarok and Black Panther. Replacing "your dad was a flawed person, you should do better" with "he was always right you idiot" was a baffling choice.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Dan Didio posted:

Carty B is a really good pun.

Someone in my chat said it and I loved it. It's very silly and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
no news on what Marvel Studios is actually going to do (obviously, given that it's only been a few days), but it's surprising that Boseman was apparently able to keep his diagnosis from everyone at Marvel and Disney

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1301168805759115266