Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
every decade has good music and crap music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

get out of here with that nonsense

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the only decade that has good music is the decade I was in high school

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yes, it took me 10 years to complete high school

what of it

wanna fight about it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I like all music except rap and country.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I like all music except rap and country.

what if i told you that there were good musicians in all genres

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the 2020s so far haven't been too impressive

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

like my main squeeze t-swizzle

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Fool posted:

yes, it took me 10 years to complete high school

what of it

wanna fight about it
in retrospect it’s kind of crazy how relatively insignificant those 3-4 years are compared to other 3-4 year spans, but how bad they seemed at the time. hosed up

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

MononcQc posted:

the 2020s so far haven't been too impressive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folklore_(Taylor_Swift_album)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Fool posted:

like my main squeeze t-swizzle
she’s a triple threat: first boring country music, then boring pop music, now boring indie music

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Uptime Sinclair posted:

in retrospect it’s kind of crazy how relatively insignificant those 3-4 years are compared to other 3-4 year spans, but how bad they seemed at the time. hosed up

I'm constantly blown away by how many people talk about high-school as if it was the best years of their life

it's not just a pop culture trope, it is a real thing that I encounter regularly

like seriously dude, it was at most 10% of your life and you were a lovely teenager

in my experience all of the people that are like this are boomers or gen-xers

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

The Fool posted:

funny how this coincides with a relatively low level of school shootings (and now pandemics), they would have lived through :shuckyes:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

im a millenial and my freshman year of hs was awesome. it got worse from there.

Apr 7, 2003

The Fool posted:

I'm constantly blown away by how many people talk about high-school as if it was the best years of their life

it's not just a pop culture trope, it is a real thing that I encounter regularly

like seriously dude, it was at most 10% of your life and you were a lovely teenager

Al Bundy talking constantly about how he got three touchdowns in one game at Polk High once was a pretty pointed criticism and that was over thirty years ago

nostalgia poisoning will ruin a society

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

The Fool posted:

these people were generally, in my experience, high school athletes.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i had a fine time in high school and it still sucked extremely badly. pretty sad for the peak of your life to be as a child imo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Fool posted:

Trying to relive high school as the popular kid is the reason twitter is so popular.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nobody is a worse adult than people who were super mad about their popularity when they were young and see social media or internet communities as "now's my time to shine"

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

MononcQc posted:

I recall going to a Jethro Tull concert in the early 2000s, telling about it to my dad who was like "this is way too old for me, go talk about it to this older uncle of yours", and so I did and he was like "Jethro Tull? Aren't they dead?"

Recently they had tickets on sale for another show so I went to check it out. Everyone is gone from the band except the singer who's now too weak to play flute so what you can go do is watch a 73 year old guy sing terrible (the singing was never great) while a bunch of 20 years old you never saw before play music from the 70s and 80s as a backdrop.

watching bands die like this is the saddest thing. that's definitely the terminal stage, the phase before that is the big reunion concert/tv special (to be aired on PBS most likely) where 3-5 original band members (all in their late 60s, probably fat, varying degrees of ailments showing, all needing money) perform with 20 random backing musicians. suddenly a song originally with only guitar, bass, and drums has 3 other percussionists, a grand piano, some dude with more keyboards than rick wakeman, far more guitars than needed, and a small gospel choir.

the original band members don't do much, maybe the front man dances around a bit on stage with a tambourine while the small orchestra behind him carries the song. it doesn't sound particularly good. the audience looks like a nursing home.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

high school was a good time to try a bunch of pursuits, many basically for free, and to more easily make friends, through forced confinement and maybe just a little solidarity, before cell phones and social media

no idea if there’s anything redeeming left about it in 2020 tho

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Things got so much better after high school for me. I had decently good high school years and decent results, but things got noticeably better later when people started choosing what they'd study or work in and generally it was easier to find a few people more motivated by the same stuff.
Also getting over the stress of "what the gently caress am I gonna do in life" and figuring a few things out. I'd not go back.

SO DEMANDING posted:

watching bands die like this is the saddest thing. that's definitely the terminal stage, the phase before that is the big reunion concert/tv special (to be aired on PBS most likely) where 3-5 original band members (all in their late 60s, probably fat, varying degrees of ailments showing, all needing money) perform with 20 random backing musicians. suddenly a song originally with only guitar, bass, and drums has 3 other percussionists, a grand piano, some dude with more keyboards than rick wakeman, far more guitars than needed, and a small gospel choir.

the original band members don't do much, maybe the front man dances around a bit on stage with a tambourine while the small orchestra behind him carries the song. it doesn't sound particularly good. the audience looks like a nursing home.

I mean yeah. I bought their christmas album over 15 years ago and they had launched "j-tull dot com" in 1999 so the writing has been on the wall for decades for them.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Uptime Sinclair posted:

90s rap is better than 80s rap tho

struth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXJc2NYwHjw

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

SO DEMANDING posted:

Hey look, Metallica just released another symphony album!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

Oh, in the millennial range of things and know a good number of these people. All still living near (or still at) home, hanging around with the same core group of people, doing the same things as they were almost 20 years ago now. The ones that send out invites for the "13 year early high school reunion bash". No, I will not fly across the country so you can try to relive the party you threw when your parents were on vacation that one time.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

tk posted:

Oh, in the millennial range of things and know a good number of these people. All still living near (or still at) home, hanging around with the same core group of people, doing the same things as they were almost 20 years ago now. The ones that send out invites for the "13 year early high school reunion bash". No, I will not fly across the country so you can try to relive the party you threw when your parents were on vacation that one time.

i live in the city where i grew up and went to college and I still keep up with some good friends from high school and college.

i have never been to a reunion and i have no interest in helping to plan one tho, going to a high school reunion is a sure sign of an insane mind. 20 year reunion would be this year, I guess. if I care, i already know what you are up to, though.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

apparently the rolling stones were on tour? like this year?

like how much more money do you need? just retire and take up gardening or trainspotting or whatever. Mick it's ok, you're like 74, relax.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i saw the stones on tour 14 years ago and they were incredibly old and outrageously irrelevant then

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

rotor posted:

like how much more money do you need? just retire and take up gardening or trainspotting or whatever. Mick it's ok, you're like 74, relax.

jesus christ :corsair:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
High school was absolutely 100% the worst time is my life. I was an awkward nerdy yoposter who was bored with 90% of my classes, had to wake up every morning before the sun, dealing with power tripping teachers/faculty, and no disposable income to spend on things.

High school absolutely felt like a prison sentence.

College was a complete 180 from that experience.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Oh, and I went to one of the good schools! /Eyeroll

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Roosevelt posted:

jesus christ :corsair:

like for a reference point, the rolling stones were old person music when I, rotor, was in junior high school

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I got tickets for the RATM and run the jewels tour that was postponed to next year.

I hope rage is still good.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this guy I used to know at my local [rip, thanks corona and idiot landlords] was almost 30 but still talked about college constantly, most of his friends were in his frat or his cs program, goes to every alumni event, etc.

it’s only slightly less sad than high school, like my man you live in a city find some other stuff to do

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

power botton posted:

I got tickets for the RATM and run the jewels tour that was postponed to next year.

I hope rage is still good.

I really like Tom's solo stuff like Night Watchman. and Zach's One Day As a Lion was loving amazing

So maybe they will be

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Al Bundy talking constantly about how he got three touchdowns in one game at Polk High once was a pretty pointed criticism and that was over thirty years ago

nostalgia poisoning will ruin a society

FOUR touchdowns!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I haven't listened to anything from prophets of rage yet

maybe I should

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

listening to one day as a lion for the first time in a few years right now though

Apr 7, 2003

rotor posted:

Was he mouthy to you when he was a kid or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol if you didnt have a teacher in hs that would remind the class that some of them should stop acting like this is their peak because then the future held sadly wearing their letterman jacket and hearing four important words regularly "last call for alcohol"

dude was the football coach at one point and did not let up on reminding everyone that you would be a sad sack if you tried to keep reliving your past for too long