Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I think Twilio do faxing as well

Yeah, and I actually have experience with Twilio's SMS API, but at the top of the documentation page for their fax stuff is a giant warning that says "This is in beta, we know there are quality issues and we are working on them"

captaingimpy posted:

Faxes and POTS will never go away. They're kinda like the sun. Let it bring you warmth and hope everyday instead of fear of an eventual solar flare or heat death of our solar system.

I'm looking forward to the time when all fax's are sent and received by efax solutions but no-one will talk about it.

edit: I made a project.log https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938743

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
How long until somebody automates an unencrypted efax solution to send massive amounts of sensitive data back and forth between sites because is technically legal and then the inevitable happens

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
eFax is not an acceptable solution as far as I've been informed. At least for police reports to the Magistrate and whatnot.
I offered to set up an eFax solution to send faxes to a physical recipient and I was told that it had to be a POTS line connected to a physical device.

I do not know if the same applies to HIPAA or lawyers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It definitely doesn't for HIPAA, although lot's of people pretend it does.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

eFax is not an acceptable solution as far as I've been informed. At least for police reports to the Magistrate and whatnot.
I offered to set up an eFax solution to send faxes to a physical recipient and I was told that it had to be a POTS line connected to a physical device.

I do not know if the same applies to HIPAA or lawyers.

My hospital doesn't have a single pots line in any facility. :iiam:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Having physical lines that tie numbers and services to physical locations is a huge liability and the death of POTS cannot come soon enough. Even our fire alarm monitoring is ethernet with an LTE backup now.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have a feeling that faxing is so integrated into pol/pro at most banks, insurance companies and government, that its cheaper and less hassle to just license enterprise fax software.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
You can have my copper when you-

OH.

The ILEC took my copper. :smith:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dick Trauma posted:

GOOD.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dick Trauma posted:

You can have my copper when you-

OH.

I'm actually fighting Verizon on this right now.
They showed up one day and ripped all the copper out of our building leaving us with no service while they did their transformation to FIOS.
Luckily we were mid-renovation so the building was unoccupied but still WHAT THE gently caress?!!?

Anywho... fast forward to 2 years later where we are still being billed for a service that doesn't even physically exist at our location. It was a CO-switched block of DIDs that used to be delivered to us via a single copper pair but apparently they can't replace the service as it was. Our only other option is to receive it via PRI which won't directly hook up to our existing fax service and costs 10x as much as the original line did.

Billing is asking us for a ticket number where we requested the copper be removed and I'm like, "yo gently caress YOU. We never requested it be removed in the first place."

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

POTS will never truly go away because elevators emergency lines need them. Other than that :shrug:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

George H.W. oval office posted:

POTS will never truly go away because elevators emergency lines need them. Other than that :shrug:

meh, I got our elevators and fire panels working over SIP with some ATA adapters.
But TECHNICALLY you're not supposed to do that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

meh, I got our elevators and fire panels working over SIP with some ATA adapters.
But TECHNICALLY you're not supposed to do that.

My VoIP provider decides to be a dick every 6 months and changes our configuration just enough to break this :haw:

Then we call back:

"Our pots lines quit working"
"Well you have voip, thats why it don't work"
"They've worked for a year. you guys had to change xxxx"
"We can try it but we can't gaurantee it!"
"Whatever just put it back you just changed it this morning"

stevewm
May 10, 2005
We have a new location opening and for the first time I am going full VoIP with no dedicated fax line.

This should be interesting.

Some of the big players in our industry are still married to fax, and it isn't likely to change anytime soon. However with all new staff at a new location getting them used to email to fax might actually work.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bob Morales posted:

My VoIP provider decides to be a dick every 6 months and changes our configuration just enough to break this :haw:

Then we call back:

"Our pots lines quit working"
"Well you have voip, thats why it don't work"
"They've worked for a year. you guys had to change xxxx"
"We can try it but we can't gaurantee it!"
"Whatever just put it back you just changed it this morning"
If your VoIP provider can't keep an ATA working ~forever basically untouched they are terrible and you should find a new one.

I have a bunch of Adtran TA924s (24 port channel bank/ATAs) that have been in service for well over a decade on the exact same config files. They occasionally get a firmware update when a security issue or potentially service-impacting bug is discovered but that's it. We actually recently discovered that one of our sites had one installed at the other end of the building that had been forgotten about because no one ever saw it or had to think about it until we couldn't figure out how the site had 113 lines while the tech on site was looking at 96 ports worth of equipment.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

wolrah posted:

If your VoIP provider can't keep an ATA working ~forever basically untouched they are terrible and you should find a new one.

I have a bunch of Adtran TA924s (24 port channel bank/ATAs) that have been in service for well over a decade on the exact same config files. They occasionally get a firmware update when a security issue or potentially service-impacting bug is discovered but that's it. We actually recently discovered that one of our sites had one installed at the other end of the building that had been forgotten about because no one ever saw it or had to think about it until we couldn't figure out how the site had 113 lines while the tech on site was looking at 96 ports worth of equipment.

This. But also maybe run your own FreePBX install if you feel so emboldened? Then you can pick whatever lovely SIP provider you want!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Alright can anyone help me brain this? I've got too much going on to wrap my mind around this simple task.
I need to remove all security groups from disabled users and add all disabled users to a new security group: "Disabled Users"

So obviously Powershell:
Find all disabled users. Easy.
Pipe that output to - Remove all security groups from all disabled users. Easy? I'm not sure I can remove ALL groups, can I. Like don't they have to have a primary group?
Then find all disabled users again and pipe that to add them to "Disabled Users" security group.

Maybe I should test this first. Let's see if I can remove my boss from all security groups...

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Alright can anyone help me brain this? I've got too much going on to wrap my mind around this simple task.
I need to remove all security groups from disabled users and add all disabled users to a new security group: "Disabled Users"

So obviously Powershell:
Pipe that output to - Remove all security groups from all disabled users. Easy? I'm not sure I can remove ALL groups, can I. Like don't they have to have a primary group?
Then find all disabled users again and pipe that to add them to "Disabled Users" security group.

Maybe I should test this first. Let's see if I can remove my boss from all security groups...

I think the usual recommendation is to make their primary group a group you created that has no rights anywhere, since the normal default of Domain Users is granted all sorts of permissions (read, mostly, but still) all over the domain.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So obviously Powershell:

Don't do this as a one-liner. Write a ps1 that is easy to read and make changes to.

quote:

Yes, and store the list in a variable so you have it for later.

quote:

You'll need to loop through your list of users and get a list of group memberships for each user. Then you can loop through the list of groups and remove the user from them using Remove-ADGroupMember

quote:

No need to find them all again if they're stored in a variable you can just loop through your list of users and use Add-AdGroupMember

quote:

Absolutely finish this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Fool posted:

Don't do this as a one-liner. Write a ps1 that is easy to read and make changes to.

Yes, and store the list in a variable so you have it for later.

You'll need to loop through your list of users and get a list of group memberships for each user. Then you can loop through the list of groups and remove the user from them using Remove-ADGroupMember

No need to find them all again if they're stored in a variable you can just loop through your list of users and use Add-AdGroupMember

Absolutely finish this.

ah yeah good point. I ate dinner and this seems much easier now. recursive remove-adgroupuser was my hangup. I for some reason thought I might have to assign a new primary group first and then I was trying to figure out how to remove all except the 'Disabled Users' group.
I'm also gonna output everything to a file so I know what their permissions were before all of this and who was affected.

Definitely gonna test it out on my boss for removing all my o365 permissions. He made me his guinea pig for poo poo he never followed through on so turnabout is only fair play right?

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I think the usual recommendation is to make their primary group a group you created that has no rights anywhere, since the normal default of Domain Users is granted all sorts of permissions (read, mostly, but still) all over the domain.
Well... yeah. Security isn't the primary concern here (I mean it IS a concern, just not the goal in this case). It's actually getting a usable set of people into our KnowBe4 campaign. OUs were out from the start so I have to use a security group. Since all users are part of 'Domain Users' it seemed like the easy choice.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I love it when people who dialed the wrong number try to argue with me. I've never loved it more than when it was on the elevator's emergency phone.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

skipdogg posted:

You guys are missing my point. I'm well aware of Shadow IT, the I means information, and all the other points you brought up. I have been doing this for like 16 years now, been around the block plenty of times.

I just don't get organizations where IT dictates things to the business. If an HR director came to us and said we want to start using this software solution, we create a project and go through all the stuff that you all have covered. Our response is not "lol good luck getting that approved" or "you need to justify why you want to use this software to IT". Why should IT have any input in what software HR uses?

This person didn't sign up for Workday with the company credit card and 6 months later ask to integrate it into IT systems. There's no Shadow IT, it was a seemingly valid request from a senior-ish member of management (directors have some pull in my org, but they're not VP's).

IT should be helping to facilitate that request, not dictate what tools the HR department gets to use. Maybe it's just the way my current org is setup, but IT is here to facilitate IT needs of the business. If a factory manager or engineering director comes to us, we make it work in a supported frame work. They're the ones that make the company money and create and ship products. IT is 100% a cost center in our org. Don't get me wrong they don't get to dictate everything, we have supported hardware and software platforms, authentication standards and make sure the laundry list of other things gets taken care of but all that gets hashed out in the planning and implementation stages of the project.

My favorite personal example of ShadowIT is when a Director of a 15 person team signed up for NetSuite CRM and used it for over a year while charging the cost to their company credit card every month. We found out about it when they came to ask IT to setup SSO for them. Contracts were not reviewed by legal, paying for the service on the credit card broke company policies, etc. We had both Salesforce and SugarCRM available to use, but this guy decided he wanted to use NetSuite instead. Developers setting up their own AWS accounts is another big one.
Maybe just to contextualise my point (sorry to jump back a few pages)

I am not sure if this is a case of 'I want to use google sheets' and we are saying 'well we use excel for spreadsheets and it's a well established bit of software within the company'

or if this is a case of 'I want to use _software' and the answer is going to be 'oh I don't think we have anything in the authorised catalogue for this request'

my gut feeling is I think it will be some advanced part of the o365 package, so it's a bit more like 'I want to use _software_' and we are going to say 'we use _other_software_'
I also suspect only like 5 other people will bother to use whatever it is she is after, so HR will fuss because you aren't familiar and I suspect knowledge and support wont be widely available

If this new HR person can justify to the greater IT department that there is a reason to go with this software then sure, I don't care, but there is a process and we are about to go through it.

I'm not saying the process should say no and IT should 'win' - as a spectator I'm professionally interested in if she has the clout to get her way as that doesn't usually happen - in principle I agree we should support business getting done.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

You'd think so, but we had a major power outage at my old job, no UPS or backup generator and our loving *CEO* got stuck in the elevator , aaaaand the emergency phone WAS going through the PABX... which was down.

It was awesome.

edit: Oh the security/fire alarm WAS direct. Guess they never thought the elevator line was ever going to be an emergency. Id hate to think what would happen in a fire. Fireys turn up , conclude nobody was in the elevator and depriotitize it, Boss gets ovened.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 1, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Wow. People are really loving terrible at video chat.
I just joined an "Employee Committee" meeting and is it a shitshow.

Mute / mute are just completely foreign concepts to people apparently. As is using headphones, so the whole meeting is just one giant echo chamber.
And the one guy who was talking the whole time on mute just unmuted himself when he was done and his phone is constantly ringing.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So obviously Powershell:

Now I'm mad all over again that my job deletes AD users instead of moving them to a disabled OU. :sigh:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Oh it gets better. For a while my boss had the bright idea to move them to an OU that did not sync to o365 so it broke the sync and my boss was all :surprised pikachu face: when o365 stopped syncing them and their data was gone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

When employees leave I place them in a Disabled Users OU. Before we have O365 I would use PS to export their mailbox to a PST for archiving and after a certain amount of time delete the mailbox from the on-prem Exchange server.

With O365 our MS rep said that instead I could convert the employee's mailbox into a Shared Mailbox because that doesn't require a license. I gave that a try, but after the conversion when I removed the employee's E3 license the mailbox vanished, never to be seen again. Either there's an intermediate step to disconnect the shared mailbox from a specific user's license, or that MS rep was wrong.

I've been using the O365 compliance features to do a content search so I can export mailboxes to PST, just like before, but I feel like there has to be a better way to keep mail available after an employee leaves that doesn't use an E3 license.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh it gets better. For a while my boss had the bright idea to move them to an OU that did not sync to o365 so it broke the sync and my boss was all :surprised pikachu face: when o365 stopped syncing them and their data was gone.

Fun fact: If you convert a sync'd active directory user mailbox into a shared mailbox (that can't be logged into) , if you ever break the sync from the old active directory acount in the future the mailbox goes poof.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

duck monster posted:

You'd think so, but we had a major power outage at my old job, no UPS or backup generator and our loving *CEO* got stuck in the elevator , aaaaand the emergency phone WAS going through the PABX... which was down.

It was awesome.

edit: Oh the security/fire alarm WAS direct. Guess they never thought the elevator line was ever going to be an emergency. Id hate to think what would happen in a fire. Fireys turn up , conclude nobody was in the elevator and depriotitize it, Boss gets ovened.
While I've heard that some jurisdictions require elevator phones to be connected to "real" POTS lines, as far as I can find where I'm at in Ohio all that matters at least statewide is the ASME A17.1 standard, which explicitly allows for VoIP, PBX, and cellular-based systems as long as they have at least four hours of backup power and a method to notify users of failure.

Regarding your scenario, elevators are designed to return to a given safe landing area when the fire alarm is triggered. If someone were to get extremely unlucky and be experiencing an elevator failure at the same time as a fire, fire crews arriving at the site would know that something's up because the elevator isn't there.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Dick Trauma posted:

When employees leave I place them in a Disabled Users OU. Before we have O365 I would use PS to export their mailbox to a PST for archiving and after a certain amount of time delete the mailbox from the on-prem Exchange server.

With O365 our MS rep said that instead I could convert the employee's mailbox into a Shared Mailbox because that doesn't require a license. I gave that a try, but after the conversion when I removed the employee's E3 license the mailbox vanished, never to be seen again. Either there's an intermediate step to disconnect the shared mailbox from a specific user's license, or that MS rep was wrong.

I've been using the O365 compliance features to do a content search so I can export mailboxes to PST, just like before, but I feel like there has to be a better way to keep mail available after an employee leaves that doesn't use an E3 license.

We do the shared mailbox thing in our organization when we offboard. The mailbox is no longer visible in the mailboxes area of Exchange though, you have to go to the Shared Mailboxes area. I don't think there's an intermediate step when we do it. We just use the Set-Mailbox cmdlet in powershell with the -"Type Shared" switch.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Definitely gonna test it out on my boss for removing all my o365 permissions. He made me his guinea pig for poo poo he never followed through on so turnabout is only fair play right?

A previous job I was in I removed my boss's admin permissions after I discovered he was reading everyones emails on the exchange server (This was around the NT4 era, not sure if thats still possible). Caused big drama, but he accepted it after I told him I'd restore it only if he announced to to the company that he was reading all their emails.

I didnt want that job anyway and left a couple of months later

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

With all this talk, just a friendly PSA to turn on Active Directory recycling bin. And consider looking at a product that can back up and restore AD in a granular fashion, you can restore just a single object or properties of an object.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

And consider looking at a product that can back up and restore AD in a granular fashion, you can restore just a single object or properties of an object.

Veeam has one, and it works a treat.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

With all this talk, just a friendly PSA to turn on Active Directory recycling bin. And consider looking at a product that can back up and restore AD in a granular fashion, you can restore just a single object or properties of an object.

Quoting this. Literally, go check that it's on as soon as you can.

I had been at a job for 3 months and was taking my first day off due to lots of 12-14 hour days. Get a panicked call from my manager that a dev had deleted one of the OUs and all of the users and groups in it from the development AD. Told him it was no big deal, because it should be in the recycle bin. Long story short, a developer was "trying to save money" so he turned it off thinking it would reduce the amount of space required. That was not a fun weekend.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The Dreamer posted:

We do the shared mailbox thing in our organization when we offboard. The mailbox is no longer visible in the mailboxes area of Exchange though, you have to go to the Shared Mailboxes area.

They disappeared from the shared mailboxes area. They were visible and working until I removed the original user's license. MS confirmed that they were completely gone, and that there's no recovery options. I had archived backups from the on-prem Exchange server so I can at least extract their old mailboxes from the time of our switch to O365. Better than nothing.

Sickening posted:

Fun fact: If you convert a sync'd active directory user mailbox into a shared mailbox (that can't be logged into) , if you ever break the sync from the old active directory acount in the future the mailbox goes poof.

The Disabled Users OU is part of the sync between on-prem AD and Azure AD. They all show up in my O365 licensing view. I have to do some testing to see if I can figure out what's going wrong.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

duck monster posted:

A previous job I was in I removed my boss's admin permissions after I discovered he was reading everyones emails on the exchange server (This was around the NT4 era, not sure if thats still possible). Caused big drama, but he accepted it after I told him I'd restore it only if he announced to to the company that he was reading all their emails.

this owns. gently caress managers.

The way the NHS emails work, anyone whose a local admin can give themselves any access to an account under their organisation. One guy in another team gave himself access to his managers' account and when an email would come in, he'd call out "you seen this email!?!?!" to his boss. He was reading them before his boss even saw them.

It became such a thing that one of my co-workers in that team would start all his emails to his boss "to manager and that employee" because he knew he read them all.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've been migrating 15 mailboxes for about 30 hours now from Exchange on prem to Exchange Online. poo poo takes for loving ever. They're all less than 10 gig mailboxes too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/Slav636/status/1300576650153750529?s=20

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

duck monster posted:

I love you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What in the hell is this guy talking about? Modern Auth is great.