Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's gonna be real funny when the iron man match with no ending serves to hype a singles match that only ends because Pat McAfee interferes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I would like to state I find ending a hyped up hour long 4-way without a finish to be abolutely loving hilarious.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/JohnnyGargano/status/1300873061734981635?s=20

Gargano this afternoon with the “I know everyone will hate this finish” tweet

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Here's what's awesome about the decline of NXT:

Before they hit USA Network they would trust these two guys to put together a match with not much more instruction than "you have <x> minutes, <this dude> is winning, try to do some callback spots" and unless something got royally botched it'd be a MOTY candidate.

This will end up as an overbooked clusterfuck with, oh, let's say three different instances of interference, someone turning on their stable, and then another rear end in a top hat turning up after the decision to declare he's the REAL champion.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CarlCX posted:

It's gonna be real funny when the iron man match with no ending serves to hype a singles match that only ends because Pat McAfee interferes.

Oh god... this is it isn’t it.

Did anyone actually watch the match? I watched the last two minutes.

Gargano/Ciampia are literally the only ones fighting for the last 3 minutes of the match. Balor shows up at 27 sec left and gets a fall with 18 seconds left. Cole shows up with 8 seconds left and gets the fall to tie with like a fraction of a second left.

I just imagine that they wrote the finish and the rest is going through the motions.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
LeRae invited Tegan Nox to come have dinner at her house.

Pylons posted:

SUDDEN DEATH (one week later)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Regal specifically said,"One fall to a finish" and the commentators said,"It'll be a singles match!" so they're just using Sudden Death as a marketing term with no actual thought to what it actually means, apparently.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Very proud of Vacant for managing to defend his title for the first time in... gosh, years? Years and years.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Teddybear posted:

Very proud of Vacant for managing to defend his title for the first time in... gosh, years? Years and years.

Vacant now has more successful title defenses than Sasha.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i mean it could be a good match but they're probably going to be agented to not do anything too flashy and keep it under 5 minutes :(

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Teddybear posted:

First I can remember, Abeyance got one or two during the orton-bryan horseshit way back when

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

NXT 9/1:
  • Detailed Results here.
  • A memorial graphic aired for the late Bullet Bob Armstrong.
  • Breezango and Isaiah "Swerve" Scott defeated El Legado del Fantasma in a six-man street fight.
  • Candice LeRae defeated Kacy Catanzaro in a singles match. Postmatch, LeRae invited Tegan Nox to come have dinner at her house.
  • Rhea Ripley challenged Mercedes Martinez to a cage match. Later in the show, Mercedes accepted and the match will be next week.
  • Timothy Thatcher defeated Bronson Reed by submission following interference by Austin Theory, who has been accused of trying to groom a 13-year-old girl in real life.
  • The 60 Minute Iron Man Fatal Fourway ended in... a draw, when Adam Cole got a last second pin to match Finn Balor's two falls (Gargano and Ciampa had one each).
  • William Regal proclaimed that next week Adam Cole and Finn Balor will face each other in a singles match to decide who is the NXT Champion.
  • Show Discussion here.

First, a hearty :laffo: to the main event finish. But is Austin Creed booking NXT now? Why is everything a gimmick match?

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Since it’s SUDDEN DEATH it should operate on 24/7 rules. I want to see Finn Balor show up Adam cole’s house dressed like a pizza delivery guy Friday afternoon and pin him for the championship

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

4 busts

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The sudden death of WWE is at hand

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hahahahah poo poo

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Is it wrong of me to want the weird UK Vampire guy to run in and cost Finn the title next week?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

So was this finish better or worse than Gargano/Ciampa ending their decades-long blood feud with a Toru Yano comedy spot from 2015?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Eat My Fuc posted:

How would ya’ll feel if Retribution was a vehicle for CM Punk’s return?

I like Punk but I don’t know how i’d feel. He was always kinda sloppy and he’s getting up there in age. It might save the angle for some though he still has a lot of fans.

Bringing this over from last page, I was a big fan of Punk during his WWE tenure but I definitely don't want him to make an in-ring return. Him coming back as an announcer or commentator or whatever already felt like he was selling out, I don't need to watch him sell out some more just because of the faint hope that he will have a good match every other PPV. The WWE's overall shittiness has me at a point where good matches don't make up for all that other stuff anymore.

Purely from a story perspective it would fit. Punk lead the dorky new Nexus that just kinda became the Corre before it disappeared, that would be a nice parallel. Without Punk or any other huge reveal, and with the current state of WWE's booking Retribution can only hope for such heights.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tato posted:

I feel bad for Ali, but The NEW Daniel Bryan vs Kofi was a fantastic match and moment in a sea of poo poo (not giving any credit to WWE for the build, anything good came from DB and The New Day)

A good company would have gotten the ball rolling on Ali again after he was healed but, lol

Imagine how much better these guys could be doing if the company they worked for gave two tugs on a dead dog's cock about writing or making anyone they employ look good.

Wow, I haven't been watching this year, but Finn's hairline is really running for the hills isn't it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Punk should've gone to AEW if he wanted people to give a poo poo about him again.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jerusalem posted:

Regal specifically said,"One fall to a finish" and the commentators said,"It'll be a singles match!" so they're just using Sudden Death as a marketing term with no actual thought to what it actually means, apparently.

But how is Sudden Death different than a 1 on 1 match? I assume tonight's match was No DQ, so next weeks match will also be no DQ

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dimebags Brain posted:

Vacant now has more successful title defenses than Sasha.

if we're counting NXT then Sasha probably has more

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sudden dearth.....of ratings.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Astro7x posted:

But how is Sudden Death different than a 1 on 1 match?

Because it happens immediately (hence the sudden part) after the time expired, as opposed to a week later. Sudden Death is also supposed to mean there is no set time for the match, it just finishes when it finishes, so it would be doubly hilarious if Finn and Cole fought to a time limit draw next week.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Wow, I haven't been watching this year, but Finn's hairline is really running for the hills isn't it.

A more dangerous widows peak than Victoria.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEfGgVI6l2A

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

fuckin nice

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dank loving owns.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Renee Paquette posted:

I generally just like to be transparent about everything. I like to just be honest. There's no shame in having got it. Again we don't know what's going on with anything. We're all trying to figure it out. So when I tweeted that I had it, I wasn't doing it as, like, 'I GOT COVID.' That was not my MO when I tweeted. It was mostly, 'Hey, I have it.' Also, in case there were people that could've been around me and maybe seen that I had it, I felt a responsibility to make sure people knew that I was sick. But, yeah, it was NOT well received. They weren't even like 'You shouldn't have posted it.' But it was like, 'We wish you gave us a heads up.' It was bad for PR and whatnot. But again, I wouldn't have even thought to be like, "Hey guys, I'm gonna tweet that I have Covid, ha, ha. Like, that was just not what I was thinking about when I posted it.

Listen, anything I say on this is gonna end up seeming like controversial or like I'm making GBS threads on it or whatever, but, yeah, did I feel a little slighted? I didn't really feel like anyone was all that concerned that I got sick. That bothered me for sure. But, you know, it's hard to say. Again, it's like, poo poo, the show goes on and now they're working at the Amway Center and they're essentially doing the best that they can NOW. Now doing the proper tests. I think that was something that should've been implemented from the beginning. Since everything that's gone down and however many people ended up getting sick, now it feels like a much safer environment. Even when I was there for SummerSlam, I was definitely less concerned about it knowing that everyone in the building has been properly tested with the nose swab and whatnot.

It was shocking. It really shocking to see that this was deemed essential business. That made it seem like, hold on a second here. I was not traveling for a while. I was doing stuff from home. I was like, 'I just don't need to be there.' Especially when you look at what I was going on the shows at that time. ... For me to fly from Las Vegas to Orlando when you have Kayla Braxton local in Orlando, you have Sarah Schreiber local in Orlando, Charley Caruso was spending most of her time in Florida, there were hands on deck that didn't have to travel, so for me to feel like I had to actually still had to get on a plane and go do it was like, "Oh my God. For what? What are we doing here? It felt insane to me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also here's the NXT UK set

https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/1300894888058384384

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

As much as I like Renee, she makes a point in that there are at least three local broadcasters in Charly, Sarah and Kayla that can cover her tasks during this pandemic. She's not essential enough that she has to be brought in from Vegas for shows or PPVs. What are you doing, WWE?

Was any reason provided as to why Miz was on Talking Smack two weeks in a row? Did they do back to back tapings? I'm asking because Xavier was initially announced to be a co-announcer and I'm hoping that's not changed to have Miz as a permanent fixture going forward.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The universal sign for good, a red X

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Holy poo poo someone outside WWE spent money on NXT UK.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Isn't the BT Sports set out at Stratford? That's not really the heart of London, it's the East End.

This was your pedantic UK geography update

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Isn't the BT Sports set out at Stratford? That's not really the heart of London, it's the East End.

It's like London Luton Airport

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

forkboy84 posted:

It's over next to the Copper Box Arena, meaning that no matter what NXT UK do it won't even be the best wrestling show to be produced on that road.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

This looks bad. Why won't it just die

Holding the UK wrestling scene hostage for 3,000 viewers a week

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NXT UK Takeover Dublin was rescheduled to October. It's in a 9,000 seater arena and the current Govt social distancing guidelines and rise in cases in Ireland mean there isn't a chance in hell it's going ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
lol I've got tickets for Takeover Dublin.