Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

lol I've got tickets for Takeover Dublin.

I bought some for a group of friends and thank gently caress I got them to pay in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ever know the question to every rhetorical question you want to ask but feel compelled anyway? (oh who am I kidding that's basically what this thread is).
Well maybe not every question but...
Does anybody in any creative position realize that WWE's creative issues are incredibly self evident but can't punch anything through the Vince-dominated hivemind?
"We need more narrative consistency. We need to mitigate repetition. We need more character consistency. Repeating the things that got us into this mess isn't going to get us out of this mess. We need to let our performers perform" just to be constantly caught ripping their hair out as an endless stream of Bruce Pritchards laugh them down for nerd poo poo. (I think they all got driven out except for HHH which explains how he's aged a decade in a year).

How badly does Vince want to fix this? Is the central grain of thought in whatever passes for his mind these days come down to "I am capable of doing this my way and succeeding and no compromises will be made?" (Yes, gently caress yes. He wants to have his cake and eat it too. He will not accept this isn't possible. He will not go down with the ship because the ship isn't going down).

Does Vince even care about ratings, or having fans? (Yes, they are pieces on a board in a game and right now he is losing that game. That it doesn't affect the bottom line is immaterial).

Is Dolph Ziggler the X-pac of his generation? In that the fans are sick to hell of him but he sticks around because the boys love wrestling him for some reason? (Probably not. He just won the inertia lottery).

Why do I still care even a little bit? (Because I was a WWF fan before I could form memories. It will always be a part of me no matter how much I want it destroyed).

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 2, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ChrisBTY posted:

Is Dolph Ziggler the X-pac of his generation? In that the fans are sick to hell of him but he sticks around because the boys love wrestling him for some reason? (Probably not. He just won the inertia lottery).

Comparing Sean Waltman to loving Dolph Ziggler is one of the meanest things I've ever read.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
X-Pac Heat lasted for about 18 months, tops. Ziggler's been hated for over 5 years now.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

forkboy84 posted:

Comparing Sean Waltman to loving Dolph Ziggler is one of the meanest things I've ever read.

nic nemeth and sean waltman are both very talented wrestlers who, as characters, long outstayed their welcome. i don't think that's an unfair comparison at all. the main difference is syxx/x-pac was never pushed as anything beyond a lower card guy who could occasionally hang with midcarders, while dolph got main event level over and nabbed a couple of, in hindsight now viewed as flukey, WHC runs before getting stop-started into oblivion and becoming the "has a boring feud that goes on way too long with every new guy" guy.

also he revealed himself to be an unlikable dickweed on social media (which i guarantee waltman would've done in the 90s if given the opportunity)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ziggler has the misfortune to exist in the limbo point where he's never pushed enough to have a string of great matches and a storyline that goes somewhere and advances his character, but he's always around so you don't have a chance to miss him.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ChrisBTY posted:

Ever know the question to every rhetorical question you want to ask but feel compelled anyway? (oh who am I kidding that's basically what this thread is).
Well maybe not every question but...
Does anybody in any creative position realize that WWE's creative issues are incredibly self evident but can't punch anything through the Vince-dominated hivemind?
"We need more narrative consistency. We need to mitigate repetition. We need more character consistency. Repeating the things that got us into this mess isn't going to get us out of this mess. We need to let our performers perform" just to be constantly caught ripping their hair out as an endless stream of Bruce Pritchards laugh them down for nerd poo poo. (I think they all got driven out except for HHH which explains how he's aged a decade in a year).

How badly does Vince want to fix this? Is the central grain of thought in whatever passes for his mind these days come down to "I am capable of doing this my way and succeeding and no compromises will be made?" (Yes, gently caress yes. He wants to have his cake and eat it too. He will not accept this isn't possible. He will not go down with the ship because the ship isn't going down).

Does Vince even care about ratings, or having fans? (Yes, they are pieces on a board in a game and right now he is losing that game. That it doesn't affect the bottom line is immaterial).

Why do I still care even a little bit? (Because I was a WWF fan before I could form memories. It will always be a part of me no matter how much I want it destroyed).

They're following the classic Homer Simpson advice of "don't quit if you're dissatisfied, just show up for work everyday and do it really half assed"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think it was last year where Ziggler had a Mania match with Goldberg and it was the most hilariously pathetic thing I've ever seen.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think it was last year where Ziggler had a Mania match with Goldberg and it was the most hilariously pathetic thing I've ever seen.
It was Summerslam, I don’t think even WWE is dumb enough to waste a Goldberg Mania match on Ziggler

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/RavenCyarm/status/1301025850750451712

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

amazing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ChrisBTY posted:

Given the huge amount of turnover on the "creative" staff I think there are no illusions for anybody working there. I wonder how long it takes for somebody to go from showing up thinking this is their dream job to realizing it's a madhouse and their attempts to write anything consistent are doomed to failure?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Given the huge amount of turnover on the "creative" staff I think there are no illusions for anybody working there. I wonder how long it takes for somebody to go from showing up thinking this is their dream job to realizing it's a madhouse and their attempts to write anything consistent are doomed to failure?

No lie that sounds kinda fun depending on how you feel about writing "it's the caterpillar not the worm!" Fifty two thousand times.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

especially lolling that the women's title barely got any more attention at all

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Who could have guessed that desperately trying to sink a competitor instead of focusing on making a good product would lead to a decline in quality?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ha. Glad to see my "why is everything a gimmick match now" question was valid.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Honestly, AEW are doing a mix of dumb things and smart things but the very smartest thing they're doing is making their own show and not anyone else's. Sure, individuals get in a few digs like the "we don't run a sloppy shop" line or the "that's Adam Cole's girlfriend!" joke, but booking decisions aren't being made based on what WWE is up to.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

WWE literally WCWing itself into death is never going to not be funny

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
This the same company that had a best-of-seven series end in a tie.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dango Bango posted:

Ha. Glad to see my "why is everything a gimmick match now" question was valid.

The wrestles have no heat, and the gimmick matches are used to attempt to generate interest. It should be that the gimmick match makes sense in the context of the feud and is how they end it. But you can't get people to tune in to see Rhea Ripley vs. Mercedes Martinez, so you promote it as "NXT has a cage match next week!"

Why was the 6-man tag a street fight? Why is Ripley challenging Mercedes to a cage match? Why was the ironman match an ironman match?

And okay, so you have the cage match next week. Will it just be a normal match that takes place in the cage? Probably.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lamuella posted:

Honestly, AEW are doing a mix of dumb things and smart things but the very smartest thing they're doing is making their own show and not anyone else's. Sure, individuals get in a few digs like the "we don't run a sloppy shop" line or the "that's Adam Cole's girlfriend!" joke, but booking decisions aren't being made based on what WWE is up to.

Except for Cody who just wants to be NWA.

But he's dead now, so it's all good.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/NXTUK/status/1301142937607311362?s=19

HHH posting a video begging our defensive midfielder to not leave is one of the weirder things about being a West Ham fan. Let's hope it goes better than when he did it for Payet

I still can't believe that HHH chose a favourite football team because they have hammers on the badge

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ewwwww HHH is a hammer?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Lamuella posted:

Agreed AEW doesn't have that stink of desperation and it's so refreshing. Don't agree with everything they do but it's pro wrestling so there is going to be dumb poo poo even during the best of times.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
PWI reports that WWE are planning to bring back Nigel McGuinness now that Mauro's left

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Mauros done done, or just taking a break done?

Mauro could be really good on AEWs (eventual) B show.

A booth with Taz, Veda, and Mauro would be dope.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sounds like he’s done done.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Mauros done done, or just taking a break done?

Mauro could be really good on AEWs (eventual) B show.

A booth with Taz, Veda, and Mauro would be dope.

He's done done. His statement said he fulfilled his childhood dream, and now he wants to move on.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Isn’t this like the third time he’s left?

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Yeah I think his intention is to be done done, but he also strikes me as the kind of guy to get the itch again in a few years

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
do you think trips has ever sung "forever blowing bubbles"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Absolutely gone at them ending a four way Iron Man Match in a draw. My initial reaction was "It'll probably be a great match but gently caress me does this all not feel like a gigantic waste of everyone's time" and they couldn't even give me the first part without putting a giant turd on the outcome.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Takeover dublin infection rate

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Gonzo McFee posted:

Absolutely gone at them ending a four way Iron Man Match in a draw. My initial reaction was "It'll probably be a great match but gently caress me does this all not feel like a gigantic waste of everyone's time" and they couldn't even give me the first part without putting a giant turd on the outcome.

Somewhere, sitting in Hawaii, Bret Hart wants his loving belt back.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Was there a reason why NXT was yesterday? USA doing basketball games tonight or something?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

explosivo posted:

Was there a reason why NXT was yesterday? USA doing basketball games tonight or something?

There was a hockey series that would have preempted NXT but it ended early.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dango Bango posted:

There was a hockey series that would have preempted NXT but it ended early.

Ah okay, I was originally thinking this is them testing the waters to move to a Tuesday show to stop people comparing it to AEW but that makes more sense.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1301196914386513920

Sean's thought for a while NXT might move to Tuesdays long term. Numbers being better for that day than they have been for a long time on Wednesday would help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1301196914386513920

Sean's thought for a while NXT might move to Tuesdays long term. Numbers being better for that day than they have been for a long time on Wednesday would help

lol if wwe admits defeat to dynamites timeslot before we even hit 1 year