Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

He could put an eye out with that mustache

Perhaps the most preferred outcome possible here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dumb question : is there any practical reason you'd ever make a knife-blade out of brass?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Dumb question : is there any practical reason you'd ever make a knife-blade out of brass?

Steel will keep an edge better, but I don't see why brass would be terrible. You can get knives in various copper-based alloys for applications where sparking is a concern.

Edit: I could also see someone making a diver's knife out of brass or bronze, though I think top-end ones these days have titanium blades, or advanced stainless steel alloys.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Cessna posted:

You aren't?

I hear this all the time from my fencing coach - that is, I'm trying to be be strong when I should be fast, gripping the weapon tight and using muscle slows you down.
Tensing up does slow the strike down, but wouldn't make it more powerful.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Cessna posted:

You aren't?

I hear this all the time from my fencing coach - that is, I'm trying to be be strong when I should be fast, gripping the weapon tight and using muscle slows you down.

You aren't. A good, clean cut is what does the actual damage in swordfighting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Beardless posted:

Steel will keep an edge better, but I don't see why brass would be terrible. You can get knives in various copper-based alloys for applications where sparking is a concern.

Edit: I could also see someone making a diver's knife out of brass or bronze, though I think top-end ones these days have titanium blades, or advanced stainless steel alloys.

I can see it having specialty uses, but no idea why you'd use it for just some random knife. But what do I know, I'm just some rear end in a top hat.

Dance Officer posted:

Even just cutting firewood and stuff you don't want to be tense. You're basically doing more work to fight yourself from being effective.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

CommonShore posted:

All of the Okinawan martial arts claim to be anti-authoritarian in their origins.
This was a really good post! I just wanted to grab onto this because this is a really weird Western marketing thing. Gichin Funakoshi, who was invited to teach karate in Japan proper in 1922, came from the Okinawan upper class and so did his teachers. We can't even really speak of a "Okinawa versus the Japanese occupier" myth because Funakoshi did a lot of work to make his karate-do appeal to the Japanese people and the Japanese state.

Edit: Which isn't to say this doesn't happen! I did karate for a bit before Covid hit and I had to bite my tongue when the instructor started telling folk tales about Okinawan peasants fighting samurai.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 2, 2020

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I can see it having specialty uses, but no idea why you'd use it for just some random knife. But what do I know, I'm just some rear end in a top hat.

Nobody does use it for random knives, as far as I can tell. Brass is fairly commonly used on knife handles or hilts, though. What prompted the question, if you don't mind my asking?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Beardless posted:

Nobody does use it for random knives, as far as I can tell. Brass is fairly commonly used on knife handles or hilts, though. What prompted the question, if you don't mind my asking?

I was watching this show called Hunters and the main character found a brass (I'm assuming rather than like bronze) knife his grandmother had. It looks like a pretty nice full-tang knife but seems to be all brass and it made me go what the gently caress?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

I was watching this show called Hunters and the main character found a brass (I'm assuming rather than like bronze) knife his grandmother had. It looks like a pretty nice full-tang knife but seems to be all brass and it made me go what the gently caress?

Ahh okay. Yeah, I have no idea about that. A brass or bronze knife would still set off a metal detector as far as I know, so it likely wouldn't be for sneaking through any kind of security. Actually, having looked into the show, I have an idea. Was the knife clearly in view? I'm wondering if it might have been a Fairbairn-Sykes Commando knife, which did sometimes have brass handles:

That's exactly the sort of thing someone who had been a Nazi-hunter might have had, and might easily appear to be made entirely of brass, depending on how the scene was lit.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Beardless posted:

Ahh okay. Yeah, I have no idea about that. A brass or bronze knife would still set off a metal detector as far as I know, so it likely wouldn't be for sneaking through any kind of security. Actually, having looked into the show, I have an idea. Was the knife clearly in view? I'm wondering if it might have been a Fairbairn-Sykes Commando knife, which did sometimes have brass handles:

That's exactly the sort of thing someone who had been a Nazi-hunter might have had, and might easily appear to be made entirely of brass, depending on how the scene was lit.

Nah it had a curved blade similar to an under-sized bowie knife. Not that size but that kind of edge. And then then the handle looked like some slightly decorated bone/ivory kind of deal. Never seen a knife like it.

And definitely it's all brass on the blade (or coated at least) with a visible tang. How weird of a knife it was is part of what made me perk up and be curious. I don't know if it'd be a bad knife but it reminds me of that Saab that had a joystick instead of a steering-wheel. You've clearly made some uh non-standard decisions what is going on.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Xiahou Dun posted:

that Saab that had a joystick

Lots of Saabs have joysticks

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I walked into that one. You got me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Disillusionist posted:

I'm also reading Winning a Future War by Norman Friedman (also from this thread) and would enjoy something similar, whether it's naval doctrine or just the history of how military organizations evolved between wars.

Winning a Future War is $1.99 on Kindle at this exact moment, not a bad book but I wanted a lot more on what scenarios they actually gamed out.

Learning War: The Evolution of Fighting Doctrine in the U.S. Navy, 1898–1945 has a ton of material on how the US Navy developed a world class professional officer corps that could solve really hard problems in doctrine and tactics in a distributed fashion. It is not on sale (:20bux:), but is very much worth cover price. You'll learn about how organizations change, grow, and learn over the course of decades. If you want to know more about the importance of doctrine and how it is developed and applied, get this book.

One of my favorite sections is on the development of the modern CiC. When the SG radar got to the fleet, nobody knew how to integrate it into the tactical operations of the fleet. It gave the operator a god's eye view of the battlespace, but that doesn't automatically translate into decision support for the officer in tactical command. Some early SG-equipped ships had the XO watching the radar plot and updating the captain by yelling from the door to the radar room. This came to CinCPAC's attention in late 1942 during the Solomons surface actions. The word went out to the fleet: every ship needs a CiC to concentrate information from signals and sensors, and relay that to the officer in command; build one and tell us what you did. They didn't say how, they weren't prescriptive, they didn't even get the type commands to prescribe specific spaces in the ship for the CiC. They let hundreds of bright, well-educated officers loose on the problem, collated the various solutions, and then issued orders for a standard CiC layout and procedures for each type of ship. The USN got a better CiC layout and superior procedures, faster, by distributed problem solving than they ever could have by having the rear area admirals impose a solution gleaned from brainstorming in Pearl Harbor.

https://smile.amazon.com/Learning-War-Evolution-Fighting-1898-1945-ebook/dp/B07BF86ZH2/

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Sitting discourteously to own the king

It probably speaks volumes about how obsessed with propriety they were that they felt compelled to note that the guy sat wrong :monocle: after failing an assassination attempt, having a cut across his thigh (probably exposing an artery), and being stabbed eight times.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Brass is used in particularly naval knives for being rustproof for the handle, diving knives in the pre plastics era would have brass sheaths, wood or leather being unsuitable for fairly obvious reasons. Brass still sets off most metal detectors, ones in airports for instance are active detectors that generate their own EM field, this works by creating electromagnetic fields that are disrupted by any conductive material entering them, ferrous materials will set off all detectors because they generate their own magnetic field that can be detected even by detectors who don't generate their own field (passive). I don't know if any security scanners use passive means, I don't see why they would so it's more things like handheld metal detectors.

Brass will blunt pretty quickly if you try to use it as a cutting surface, hardening it so it lasts a little longer is a right pain in the behind and I believe that hard brass is incredibly brittle so it would likely shatter if it hit bone. So even in old divers knives they will make the blade out if steel, it's easier to just sub the blade out, clean it or in extremis use a new knife after a few dives. The alternative being that you have a knife you might need to cut something like naval rope with in order to save someone's life, not work because brass won't stand up in that situation at all. If it's in it's sheath it should be pretty well protected in any case and corrosion doesn't happen that quickly.

Broadly no there isn't a reason you'd make a blade out of brass other than as just a cool looking thing. You could conceivably make one out of bronze and it would be better but again there isnt really a reason to other than looks if steel is available.

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 2, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It wasn’t like he was randomly thrust in to the role from an ordinary unit, or even an ordinary Cheka/NKVD unit. He was noted even as a Chekist for his skill at wetwork, came to the attention of Stalin, and was notable enough that he was put in charge of a special secret wetwork group within the NKVD. He enjoyed and was good at his job, which was killing people.

From Wikipedia: After Beria's fall from power in June of the same year, Blokhin's rank was stripped from him in the de-Stalinization campaigns of Nikita Khrushchev. He reportedly sank into alcoholism and serious mental illness, and died on 3 February 1955, with the official cause of death listed as "suicide".

Now SU being SU, it's hard to say what really happened. He might have enjoyed his job so much that he was sad when he couldn't do it anymore, or perhaps the job made him mentally ill, or most likely, he was that to start with. He definitely was good at his job, but did he enjoy it?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

glynnenstein posted:

Some regular posters seem to mostly hang in the discord these days.

Yeah, and it has made this thread more quiet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ChubbyChecker posted:

From Wikipedia: After Beria's fall from power in June of the same year, Blokhin's rank was stripped from him in the de-Stalinization campaigns of Nikita Khrushchev. He reportedly sank into alcoholism and serious mental illness, and died on 3 February 1955, with the official cause of death listed as "suicide".

Now SU being SU, it's hard to say what really happened. He might have enjoyed his job so much that he was sad when he couldn't do it anymore, or perhaps the job made him mentally ill, or most likely, he was that to start with. He definitely was good at his job, but did he enjoy it?

It’s very hard to advance to being The Guy without enjoying your work. He was absolutely hosed in the head. I’m just trying to push back on the idea that was advanced that Noble Comrade Blokhin decided to be the trigger puller to spare his men’s sanity. It seems very improbable given his body of work.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Nah it had a curved blade similar to an under-sized bowie knife. Not that size but that kind of edge. And then then the handle looked like some slightly decorated bone/ivory kind of deal. Never seen a knife like it.

And definitely it's all brass on the blade (or coated at least) with a visible tang. How weird of a knife it was is part of what made me perk up and be curious. I don't know if it'd be a bad knife but it reminds me of that Saab that had a joystick instead of a steering-wheel. You've clearly made some uh non-standard decisions what is going on.

There's the standard historian response:

Could it be a ritual tool?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

Preamble - I'm an MMA dork with quite a bit of training experience, and I have some academic credentials on top of this. I've seen a few academic presentations on 18th century boxing too. TL;DR is that your friend is not entirely wrong, but he's not so far from wrong for me to say that he's right.

This is something that gets tossed around a lot and has for some time, but it turns out that it's basically a half truth. Wyoming has recently started to sanction bare-knuckle boxing matches and many experienced fighters are able to head hunt and KO opponents without breaking their hands. Meanwhile, Floyd Mayweather has been known to break his own hands wearing full-weight competition boxing gloves, and he's not known as a hard puncher. Some fighters are better at taking punches on the crown of the head - allegedly Nick Diaz broke both of BJ Penn's hands like that (4 oz gloves).

Honestly I've hosed my own hands up once or twice with big rear end puffy 16oz gloves on. The gloves make a difference but less than having toughened up your own hands and having good punching technique. If we put 4 oz gloves (mma gloves) on someone who has no experience and told them to go hit a heavy bag as hard as they could, they'd probably hurt themselves. At the point I'm at, with years of practice, I can tear into a heavy bag bareknuckle and I'm fine so long as I don't cut the skin on my hands.

Many Japanese martial arts claim descent from Bodidharma. Whether this is true who the gently caress knows. Martial arts are full of liars and braggarts, and they always have been, and they're always trying to one-up each other on being the most ancient and secret. None of this can be tracked because everyone used to be super secretive. Really it all goes back to 19th-20th century nationalism. Look at Muay Thai though - from what I know it doesn't claim Chinese heritage, though its history does have a nationalist legend. All of the Okinawan martial arts claim to be anti-authoritarian in their origins.

The other thing to consider is that there are only a finite number of ways to attack someone. In my experience competition rules have a greater influence on how a martial art looks than anything.

Regarding "pancrase" as being the channel through which asian martial arts came into MMA? That's not true. There were pancrase fighters at UFC 1, and there were Kempo Karate guys. Japanese martial arts came to the West largely in the first half of the 20th century, with a gigantic resurgance following WW2.

From what I understand, Greek Boxing was different from modern boxing. The version of boxing that came out of 18th century England, credited to Daniel Mendoza, is based largely on fencing footwork. If you look at illustrations of old boxers they're not doing a bad job of guarding their faces with their hands - their hands are up at chin level but away from the face to protect from straight punches, and they'd defend hooks with head movement. Edwin Haislet's boxing manual (available for free online) has some about this.

Some fighters have used open handed slaps. Go watch Bas Rutten fights from early Pancrase, where closed fists were not allowed. Go watch Bare Knuckle bouts (BKFC). Nick Diaz's striking style has been compared to Daniel Mendoza's. The 4 oz gloves don't make that much of a difference in striking. You'll see less of a difference between BK boxing and MMA than between MMA and boxing or MMA and K1 or Glory kickboxing. The big puffy gloves that the pure striking sports wear make a bigger difference to stance and hand position. Some really high level kickboxers have come to MMA and tried to shell up with the gloves to protect themselves and the thin little gloves split the guard and that's all she wrote. gently caress, go watch some Lethwei. That's bareknuckle with headbutts allowed. Their hand position is relatively similar to that you see in MMA.

The reason that the old boxers kept their hands out like that was for defending double leg shots. On the pre-queensbury rules, it was legal to throw your opponent to the ground. In some of the old rulesets, that counted as a knockdown.

This is an awesome answer, thanks!

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s very hard to advance to being The Guy without enjoying your work. He was absolutely hosed in the head. I’m just trying to push back on the idea that was advanced that Noble Comrade Blokhin decided to be the trigger puller to spare his men’s sanity. It seems very improbable given his body of work.

I mean it might not require ”noble comrade Blokhin” for him to realize that nobody else can pull off 35 executions an hour So better just have them as the hosemen and bodyhaulers. Gotta meet that quota, otherwise Stalin might get unhappy, and having half of your detail collapse from mental breakdown isnt going to mean the dead people carry and bulldoze their own remains.

You can be hosed in the head and still figure out the most functional way to mass-produce atrocities.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Valtonen posted:

I mean it might not require ”noble comrade Blokhin” for him to realize that nobody else can pull off 35 executions an hour So better just have them as the hosemen and bodyhaulers. Gotta meet that quota, otherwise Stalin might get unhappy, and having half of your detail collapse from mental breakdown isnt going to mean the dead people carry and bulldoze their own remains.

You can be hosed in the head and still figure out the most functional way to mass-produce atrocities.

I agree with this! Blokhin was The Guy and it was his responsibility, so better be sure that it's done correctly. However, you don't get to be the Guy without talent, initiative, and an affinity for the work. I'm specifically pushing back on this post:

Fly Molo posted:

...given his past experience with executions, it almost seems like that could've been a horrifying attempt to spare the mental health of the guys under his command.

B: Nope, can’t do it, last time a quarter of my men shot themselves afterwards.
A: Stalin says do it, figure it out.
B: ...blyat. Go get my briefcases full of guns. I’ll do it myself. :geno:
A: :stonk:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Kinda TFR, but - still working on my Jedburgh thing, and am wondering:

- Which marks of Sten Gun were dropped to resistance fighters in France 1944?

- What might be normal makes and brands of hunting shotgun/rifle in France 1944?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tias posted:

- What might be normal makes and brands of hunting shotgun/rifle in France 1944?

The Mk. II was the most common Sten pattern and the one I can immediately find in photos of the French resistance. The Mk. III was even cruder and I wouldn't be surprised if it was supplied as well. Resistance groups across Europe also manufactured thousands of Sten copies in garages and basements.

The potential make and model of a hunting gun in France at this time is one that's hard to answer simply because there were so many manufacturers across Europe of varying sizes and prestige. Verney-Carron, Didier-Drevet, Mauser, Sauer, FN, L. Douard, Meteor, Mannlicher-Schönauer, etc. You could easily find a few dozen double-barreled shotguns in 12 gauge or 16 gauge that were virtually identical to each other and only differentiated by name and minor details. I believe Lebel M1886 rifles were also sold on the commercial market in addition to dedicated commercial hunting rifles.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 2, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tias posted:

I don’t know about the sten gun thing but the hunting gear is going to depend entirely on who it was for. Someone with money might have a super nice Mauser Model B, for example, that would be functionally identical to a military Mauser sniper rifle only prettier and frankly better made.

Meanwhile a farmer might have a piece of surplus from the last war, sporterized or not, or an older commercial gun like one of the various Mannlicher designs. A poor farmer might have something fairly ancient, up to and including black powder. To give an idea, military surplus guns from the American Civil War were not uncommon as hunting guns for dirt poor people during the Great Depression. Remember, that’s only ~60-70 years after the civil war so it’s about the same as someone hunting with a cheap surplus Mosin in 2010.

BasicallY when it comes to civilian guns the answer is just about anything you care to come up with.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

A spiral of alcoholism and for example depression and dementia could just be the "normal" reactions for an old dude who suddenly fell from grace, lost his job, and maybe didn't have that much of a social support network to begin with. You'd need more info on that mental illness at the very least.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

A spiral of alcoholism and for example depression and dementia could just be the "normal" reactions for an old dude who suddenly fell from grace, lost his job, and maybe didn't have that much of a social support network to begin with. You'd need more info on that mental illness at the very least.

There's no way we can armchair diagnose him at this point. This is setting aside how problematic a ruling of "suicide" in a post-Stalin USSR is for someone who obviously knew so many of Stalins dirty little secrets.

That said, depression and alcoholism are very well established as being problems with German soldiers who were involved in the big shooting actions. Both the Soviets and the Germans also made copious amounts of alcohol available to their soldiers after those kinds of massacres. I don't know about the particulars of the Soviets, but in the German case it was basically considered a ration. They'd start them drinking during the killing and keep it going after it was done, and then just leave them alone to keep drinking for a few days afterwards.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lots of old single shot service rifles in large calibers received conversions to shotguns were kicking around. The Tabatiere was commonly converted.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Lots of old single shot service rifles in large calibers received conversions to shotguns were kicking around. The Tabatiere was commonly converted.

How does the conversion happen?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sniper Party posted:

Tensing up does slow the strike down, but wouldn't make it more powerful.

If you can find a way to use strength without tensing up let me know. Maybe we have imperfect terminology here - I can't think of a way to use strength without some sort of muscle tension, let alone describe it.

Dance Officer posted:

Sure, I don't care about doing actual damage. Fencing is a sport, not a real swordfight. I do not (or, more accurately, should not) CARE how hard I hit someone, all I have to do is make contact - that completes the circuit, the scoreboard lights up, I get a point.

But, that said, I've done other martial arts for decades, and they require force and strength behind the strikes, so when I strike all of my prior training is telling me "use strength" and I tense up, while I should be more about "use speed" and less tension, more quick movement. It's tough to change that mindset.

Here's me fencing, I'm the guy on the left. I get this point, "in preparation."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7n7joTINmI

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 2, 2020

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don’t know about the sten gun thing but the hunting gear is going to depend entirely on who it was for. Someone with money might have a super nice Mauser Model B, for example, that would be functionally identical to a military Mauser sniper rifle only prettier and frankly better made.

Meanwhile a farmer might have a piece of surplus from the last war, sporterized or not, or an older commercial gun like one of the various Mannlicher designs. A poor farmer might have something fairly ancient, up to and including black powder. To give an idea, military surplus guns from the American Civil War were not uncommon as hunting guns for dirt poor people during the Great Depression. Remember, that’s only ~60-70 years after the civil war so it’s about the same as someone hunting with a cheap surplus Mosin in 2010.

BasicallY when it comes to civilian guns the answer is just about anything you care to come up with.

Not really a gun guy (like I know how to shoot and that's kind of it), but isn't this really the same as asking "what were the common civilian guns of [Canada in 1983]/[California in 1910]/[Swindon in 1920]/etc.?" Where you might be able to google what was the new hotness that was the largest seller or something, but in practical terms the answer is going to be [whatever the gently caress was available that some rando might have including something weird for contrived reasons].

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cessna posted:

If you can find a way to use strength without tensing up let me know. Maybe we have imperfect terminology here - I can't think of a way to use strength without some sort of muscle tension, let alone describe it.
In this case I think they’re meaning tension throughout the limb. Because muscles can only contract, you need to train to relax some muscles so that others have room to move your limbs. Imagine trying to throw a punch while relentlessly clenching your bicep – you'd rob your punch of both speed and power because a key muscle is not participating. The same thing happens when you squeeze the life out of a fencing sword.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

Generally you just bore out the chamber for a shotgun gauge approximately appropriate to the barrel size. Maybe bore the barrel out too if it’s too small. You see a fair number of old ~.30 cal rifles turned into .410 shotguns this way.

Occasionally it gets a bit more complicated (the Geha Mauser shotgun conversions took off the front locking lugs for example) but in general they’re simple and involve removing rather than adding material. Otherwise it would be expensive enough to not bother.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

The reason so many were converted is because the breech lock design required almost no modification. With the Tabatiere, the rifle caliber was pretty close to 12ga in the first place (,69-.71 vs .73 inches), just with a short overall length. You just bore the thing out a bit. Mechanically, the hammer still strikes a firing pin that strikes the primer at the base of the shell. Since a shotgun barrel and chamber is essentially a big tube, you can use any length shot since the case does not have a neck or shoulder. Guys shoot commercial loads today in them although evidently they strongly prefer brass hulls.

The conversions also included modifications to the stocks, but that's not strictly necessary from a functional perspective.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cyrano4747 posted:

Generally you just bore out the chamber for a shotgun gauge approximately appropriate to the barrel size. Maybe bore the barrel out too if it’s too small. You see a fair number of old ~.30 cal rifles turned into .410 shotguns this way.

Occasionally it gets a bit more complicated (the Geha Mauser shotgun conversions took off the front locking lugs for example) but in general they’re simple and involve removing rather than adding material. Otherwise it would be expensive enough to not bother.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The reason so many were converted is because the breech lock design required almost no modification. With the Tabatiere, the rifle caliber was pretty close to 12ga in the first place (,69-.71 vs .73 inches), just with a short overall length. You just bore the thing out a bit. Mechanically, the hammer still strikes a firing pin that strikes the primer at the base of the shell. Since a shotgun barrel and chamber is essentially a big tube, you can use any length shot since the case does not have a neck or shoulder. Guys shoot commercial loads today in them although evidently they strongly prefer brass hulls.

The conversions also included modifications to the stocks, but that's not strictly necessary from a functional perspective.

:tipshat:

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Siivola posted:

In this case I think they’re meaning tension throughout the limb. Because muscles can only contract, you need to train to relax some muscles so that others have room to move your limbs. Imagine trying to throw a punch while relentlessly clenching your bicep – you'd rob your punch of both speed and power because a key muscle is not participating. The same thing happens when you squeeze the life out of a fencing sword.

Yeah, it's the same thing as if you were playing tennis. Death-gripping your sword or racket inhibits proper technique, which is where your real power comes from.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Siivola posted:

Exactly this.

In sport fencing actual power is functionally meaningless most of the time since you're just trying to make a touch. (Yes there are obviously edge-cases like some ripostes but that's why it's called a generalization rather than a universal truth.)

Meanwhile even on the other end of the spectrum, something like cutting wood or using a sledgehammer : you still shouldn't be tensing up any muscles. You're just gonna get tired sooner and do a lovely job. You're much better off swinging from the hips and kind of pretending like your arms are a rope with a weight at the end. (Source : I grew up with a wood-stove and have done construction ; I don't want to think about the amount of times I've swung a heavy object to break things.)

When I did traditional Chinese martial arts a big part of training was teaching us to relax the muscles in our arms so you can get more power from the hips/footwork. Then, eventually, adding in the right muscles so we're not fighting ourselves.

If you're death-squeezing your fencing saber you're not helping anything.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thanks everybody!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The, er, tobacco tin? Is this slang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

When I did traditional Chinese martial arts a big part of training was teaching us to relax the muscles in our arms so you can get more power from the hips/footwork. Then, eventually, adding in the right muscles so we're not fighting ourselves.

Right, yes. I may be describing this badly. I'm used to using different muscles than the ones used in fencing. You don't really get any sort of hip-swing, instead it's lunges and quick snappy strikes.

Xiahou Dun posted:

If you're death-squeezing your fencing saber you're not helping anything.

True; I tend to hold it too tightly when I extend in a lunge, that's something I'm working on.