Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kimbo305 posted:

Hunh, I didn't know that generation was square taper bottom bracket.
Are you talking about replacing just the crankset? It's not a huge change going up to Hollowtech or sticking to a lower tier of square taper. I'd say get whatever's a deal online.

It isn't, its octalink.
https://www.performancebike.com/shimano-105-bb5500-octalink-v1-spline-bottom-bracket-english-ebb5500b18/p562820

Also, are all your rings trashed, or just one? You can replace the rings individually if only one is worn.

nm fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Oh, in that case, prob want to upgrade, unless you find a NOS BB and crankset.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Hunh, I didn't know that generation was square taper bottom bracket.
Are you talking about replacing just the crankset? It's not a huge change going up to Hollowtech or sticking to a lower tier of square taper. I'd say get whatever's a deal online.

I am probably using some wrong terminology. The BB is actually octalink... however!

My wife really dislikes her bike (yay bikesdirect order years ago) and she would like to trail ride a bit with me ... so the road bike was put up for sale. Until I realized that hey, those 105 components will fit on my bike no problem. So I've swapped about 80% of what is needed so far, no fitment problems. I will just find a cheapo groupset to put on hers and put it up for sale.

This is my first time ever ripping apart a bottom end on a bicycle, so much less mystery now.

nm,

In regard to your statement all three front chain rings were mangled and the backs were looking toasty too, I really never paid close attention to it (because I was a moron). Since I have the parts from the "donor" bike I am happy .. less money outlay right now.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Pulled the BB out of my bike today to find ... its totally trashed and sadly after looking at the chain rings they are toast. Teeth are mangled, etc.

Yay.

The BB is a BB-5500 118.5, triple chain ring in the front and a 9 speed cassette. Crank arms are an FC-5505.

The question I guess is .. how does the "lower" end stuff compare to the 105 of 2006? I am just riding or fun, am I really going to notice the Tiagra or whatever it is a step below if I were to transition to that? I just wish bikes weren't so insanely expensive right now, would make the choice much easier.

Tiagra is fine. Anything with a hollowtech II bottom bracket is fine, imo (with the caveat that I haven't ridden the relatively new, extremely cheap, claris-level and below 2-piece cranks). If it makes you feel better you can splurge :10bux: and get a dura ace bottom bracket

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I am probably using some wrong terminology. The BB is actually octalink... however!

My wife really dislikes her bike (yay bikesdirect order years ago) and she would like to trail ride a bit with me ... so the road bike was put up for sale. Until I realized that hey, those 105 components will fit on my bike no problem. So I've swapped about 80% of what is needed so far, no fitment problems. I will just find a cheapo groupset to put on hers and put it up for sale.

This is my first time ever ripping apart a bottom end on a bicycle, so much less mystery now.

nm,

In regard to your statement all three front chain rings were mangled and the backs were looking toasty too, I really never paid close attention to it (because I was a moron). Since I have the parts from the "donor" bike I am happy .. less money outlay right now.

If the crank is still ok, it is almost certainly cheaper to buy a new BB and new rings (they're standard 110/74 rings, you can use 9, 10, or 11 speed rings) than a new crank.
As for the cassette, you can just stick any 9-speed cassette on there. A slightly fancier one might shift marginally better and be a few grams lighter, but there are no really fancy 9-speed cassettes anymore I think. I'd just buy the tiagra/deore or SRAM equivalent. Remember to put a new chain on.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

nm posted:

If the crank is still ok, it is almost certainly cheaper to buy a new BB and new rings (they're standard 110/74 rings, you can use 9, 10, or 11 speed rings) than a new crank.
As for the cassette, you can just stick any 9-speed cassette on there. A slightly fancier one might shift marginally better and be a few grams lighter, but there are no really fancy 9-speed cassettes anymore I think. I'd just buy the tiagra/deore or SRAM equivalent. Remember to put a new chain on.

Good to know, I'll see what BB I can find and compare the pricing of going this route. It's still kinda pricey even at the low end on groupsets for the other bike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I miswrote -- should have been "wasn't square taper"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Neat story of a builder able to work on a frame he built a long time ago:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEcDRZDluXG/?igshid=1pz27caaybo4t

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I crashed my dang road bike. I was cranking hard in an ascent and I realized I hadn't shifted onto my small chainring, so I did that :shepicide: , and the chain dropped, and then I swerved into a concrete drainage ditch curb.

Some nice road rash and a few open abrasions. The bike's fine other than two small scrapes on the drive side brake lever.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 3, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

rope kid posted:

I crashed my dang road bike.
The bike's fine other than two small scrapes on the drive side brake lever.

Sounds like you crashed you.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

numberoneposter posted:

disc on road is an answer to a question that no one asked

:can:

Why would anyone want to only ride on the road?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

rope kid posted:

I crashed my dang road bike. I was cranking hard in an ascent and I realized I hadn't shifted onto my small chainring, so I did that :shepicide: , and the chain dropped, and then I swerved into a concrete drainage ditch curb.

Some nice road rash and a few open abrasions. The bike's fine other than two small scrapes on the drive side brake lever.
Which bike? Hopefully not the one with wood wheels :ohdear:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

My steel Milwaukee road bike (it's fine).

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So im browsing to get a newer bicycle, so far i know i want:
1) a gravel/allroad bike
2) Aluminum
3) I been looking at Giant, Specialized, Canyon and Kona
4) Any US manufacturer i should know about?
5) No Trek please

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ElMaligno posted:

1) a gravel/allroad bike
2) Aluminum
5) No Trek please

Kona Jake the Snake

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Kona rove

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

rope kid posted:

I bought a road bike after two years of riding a hybrid and immediately crashed it riding over tram rails

I didn't break my collarbone and it got me over my worries about riding on public roads

Apr 7, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

1) a gravel/allroad bike
2) Aluminum
5) No Trek please

Giant Contend AR 1

Any Giant Contend AR, really, but if you're buying one just get the 1 for the carbon fork + seatpost and the R7000 groupset

It just feels fast, more so than any other bike I've ever rode

The paint job sucks, other than that it's a solid bike.

At some point in time I'll find a better and faster bike to brag about here. It will not be anywhere near as good for the price point as the AR 1 has been for me this year.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Jamis Renegade is another solid option.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I should add:
6: My max budget is about $2500

e.pilot posted:

Kona Jake the Snake

Jake the snake - Pros: Cool name, cool paint j ob
Rove DL - Pro: Nice paint job, con: dorky name

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Giant Contend AR 1

Any Giant Contend AR, really, but if you're buying one just get the 1 for the carbon fork + seatpost and the R7000 groupset

At some point in time I'll find a better and faster bike to brag about here. It will not be anywhere near as good for the price point as the AR 1 has been for me this year.

Its in available in red so i like it

Edit:

Crumps Brother posted:

Jamis Renegade is another solid option.

They also have good frame color options

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

You have to get the one with the best paint, so which is it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
still like my jamis renegade, almost had it two years!

Apr 7, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

still like my jamis renegade, almost had it two years!

My dealer does Giant + Jamis and tried to sell me a Renegade vs. my Contend AR

I like the Jamis bikes but the fact that they stick aluminum, steel, and fiber frames in the same product name range kinda turned me off as a new buyer.

Giant is pretty clear on what they offer, Contend is Aluminum, Defy is all fiber.

I appreciate that.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

You have to get the one with the best paint, so which is it?

I like the Jamis one the most with Kona being a close second.

Also i lowkey want a bike that i can kinda climb hills with it so the Kona Rove LTD, Jamis Renegade C2 and Canyon Endurance AL 7.0 and Canyon AL Grail 7.0.

Apr 7, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

I like the Jamis one the most with Kona being a close second.

Also i lowkey want a bike that i can kinda climb hills with it so the Kona Rove LTD, Jamis Renegade C2 and Canyon Endurance AL 7.0 and Canyon AL Grail 7.0.

Giant Contend AR comes with a compact chainset

I climb a lot of hills, being in Pittsburgh, just saying

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

funkymonks posted:

Why would anyone want to only ride on the road?
It's the road bike that goes up to the watershed gate and back in less than 4 hours. I've outrun gravel bikes. Not CX bikes mind you, I'm talking about the big name gravel bikes. You think 31s and rim brakes are fast enough for you old man? Wheres my beer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just did 335 miles in 36 hours, most on gravel and in the pouring rain. A lot of things hurt.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

My dealer does Giant + Jamis and tried to sell me a Renegade vs. my Contend AR

I like the Jamis bikes but the fact that they stick aluminum, steel, and fiber frames in the same product name range kinda turned me off as a new buyer.

Giant is pretty clear on what they offer, Contend is Aluminum, Defy is all fiber.

I appreciate that.

Pretty sure the Defy isn’t made out of cereal. And I do appreciate that.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
+1 for the Renegade.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Just did 335 miles in 36 hours, most on gravel and in the pouring rain. A lot of things hurt.

Ouch but good job dude.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Before you pass out, :justpost: pics

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

:drat:

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
This might be a weird thread to ask in, but it's tangentially cycling related.

My Favero pedals arrived today from Italy. I paid in euros and no taxes were collected. The value of the pedals was clear on the packaging but apparently they didn't get caught up at customs. Was I supposed to pay an import duty?

Apr 7, 2003

rip

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Andy Dufresne posted:

This might be a weird thread to ask in, but it's tangentially cycling related.

My Favero pedals arrived today from Italy. I paid in euros and no taxes were collected. The value of the pedals was clear on the packaging but apparently they didn't get caught up at customs. Was I supposed to pay an import duty?

Probably, but it's 2020 and laws aren't real

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I hammered around Lake Tahoe today and missed the KOM by 4 minutes, hell of a ride though

https://strava.app.link/n2eN1a3iw9

Started at sunrise.

Hopefully my last ride messing with clip-ons on a road bike, going to be building up a TT bike v soonish.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 5, 2020

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Giant Contend AR 1

I'm +1ing this, I got one. The paint is good, I got the candy red and it looks pretty hot. I would counter it's not especially fast on the scale of road bikes to be honest, but it's very good and will clear a truly fat tire, but maintains road geometry so it's nice and sprightly. I couldn't deal with the gravel bikes I tried. Quite close to an aluminum version (geo-wise) of a TCR with a lot more tire clearance. Front end is a little higher but it is not a Defy, fits nicely in the middle.

Tires are kinda poo poo, bartape is pure poo poo, but this is true for 90% of all bikes off the showroom floor and easily and cheaply fixable. Any competitors' bikes will be at least +$500 and have the same tape and tire problem (equivalent Emonda has wire bead tires FFS).

P.S. for others reading, "carbon fork" means full carbon, including steerer. Rare at this price point. The seat post is a neat idea too.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

e.pilot posted:

Hopefully my last ride messing with clip-ons on a road bike, going to be building up a TT bike v soonish.

Wow, that's bike actually looks really good with the aerobars.

I feel like clip-ons almost always looks like poo poo.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

numberoneposter posted:

disc on road is an answer to a question that no one asked

:can:

Brother, the day I had to say goodbye to a beautiful and expensive set of Campy wheels because the brake track wore through was the day I fully bought in to road disc.

That said if you want primo carbonne rim brake wheels for cheap these days, browse any buy/sell group for the dentists and lawyers divesting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Was tracking an auction for a NOS Shimano FC-5503 crankset to replace mine. $161 ending bid. No thanks, I’d rather just buy a new group set and update. Sheesh.