Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, correct on all counts. If you don't have game pass right now you can demo it for a month for $1 and play Flight Sim. Pretty cool.

Ok I’ve never heard of game pass before so I looked it up and it seems amazing. What is the catch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

blue squares posted:

Ok I’ve never heard of game pass before so I looked it up and it seems amazing. What is the catch

it runs very poorly and can make actually acquiring the games a chore, but right now it's basically in that golden phase like early netflix where the Bad People haven't quite gotten to the "take all of your money for a worse service" part yet

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

blue squares posted:

They offer a $1 sign up and expect a bunch of people to keep paying without really thinking about it or maybe just forget they signed up, which is probably a good bet given the audience.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

blue squares posted:

The catch is it turns into a sub that's like $5 or $9 a month and they wanna get you hooked.

Also if you cancel at any time then you lose access to all the game pass games.

But seriously, it is a suspiciously good deal. Microsoft seems to know they're kinda beaten right now and are trying to actually be nice to customers to win back support or something?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

bakamitai yet again kiryu

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gamepass is a good deal if you are ok with the Netflix concept of not owning the games but having access to tons of stuff. On PC even assuming you are paying full price its 5 bucks a month to have access to hundreds of games and unlike PSNow or gametaps of yore they are both local to your machine and it gets games like CK3 or Spiritfarer at launch.

Gamepass is, unironically, my favorite development of gaming this console generation and it forced PSNow to improve its offering dramatically.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

all I remember of Dune is that his name is a killing word

also Yakuza

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

Gamepass is a good deal if you are ok with the Netflix concept of not owning the games but having access to tons of stuff. On PC even assuming you are paying full price its 5 bucks a month to have access to hundreds of games and unlike PSNow or gametaps of yore they are both local to your machine and it gets games like CK3 or Spiritfarer at launch.

Gamepass is, unironically, my favorite development of gaming this console generation and it forced PSNow to improve its offering dramatically.

If nothing else it seems like a great way to play games you can beat in a single month like Control, Call of Duty (I love the campaigns of all these dumb shooters)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

subscriptions are bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gamepass sucks cause in some small way you are paying for a crackdown 4

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Jesus when you put it like that I actually want to unsub now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only thing keeping me from trying Gamepass is how utterly incompetent Microsoft's PC marketplace is.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Stux posted:

subscriptions are bad

Wrong. There is no inherent bad or good here. If you use it to the point where it is cheaper than not having it, it is good. If you don’t use it enough, then it is bad.

Unless of course the system is set up in such a way that all of the money goes to faceless capitalists and not the creators of games, in which case I may revise my thinking

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Real tired of this trend of retro releases where they arbitrarily split the collection across 2 volumes to double their income.

Couldn't possibly cram 4 more ROMs onto this cart, god no, gotta split it up.

Edit: Seeing the Turrican 30th Anniversary collection and looking into it this morning is what has prompted this. The way they've split the games doesn't even make sense.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 3, 2020

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Dew of Mtn that thumbs acquire speed, the pits acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I enjoyed Crackdown 3 and would play a Crackdown 4.

Crackdown 3 is not a very good game

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

LawfulWaffle posted:

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the Dew of Mtn that thumbs acquire speed, the pits acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

this is haram

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Mode 7 posted:

Real tired of this trend of retro releases where they arbitrarily split the collection across 2 volumes to double their income.

Couldn't possibly cram 4 more ROMs onto this cart, god no, gotta split it up.

Edit: Seeing the Turrican 30th Anniversary collection and looking into it this morning is what has prompted this. The way they've split the games doesn't even make sense.

The splitting is weird, yes.

quote:

Turrican Anthology Vol. 1

Turrican (Amiga)
Turrican 2 (Amiga)
Super Turrican (SNES)
Super Turrican Director's Cut (SNES)
Mega Turrican Score Attack (Genesis/Mega Drive)

Turrican Anthology Vol. 2

Turrican 3 (Amiga)
Mega Turrican (Genesis/Mega Drive)
Mega Turrican Director's Cut (Genesis/Mega Drive)
Super Turrican 2 (SNES)
Super Turrican 1 Score Attack (SNES)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

The only thing keeping me from trying Gamepass is how utterly incompetent Microsoft's PC marketplace is.

Gamepass/Xbox has its own desktop app and it's significantly better than the old method of going to the Microsoft store and just browsing through games blindly and hoping you see one for Gamepass. They also have deals all the time, around Christmas I got three months for 5$.

There's some good stuff on there but usually just things that make me sign up for a month and then let it lapse. I played Forager, State of Decay 2, and Dead Cells on there, mostly, but there's a lot of other stuff on there I'd like to play but for some reason don't, like Wargroove

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

blue squares posted:

Wrong. There is no inherent bad or good here. If you use it to the point where it is cheaper than not having it, it is good. If you don’t use it enough, then it is bad.

Unless of course the system is set up in such a way that all of the money goes to faceless capitalists and not the creators of games, in which case I may revise my thinking

subscription models remove the concept of ownership and only serve to hand publishers arbitrary control over what you can play. its a model they want to move to because people can currently buy a game and then play it over and over again without paying more, and they may even skip newer installments if theyre not very good. with a sub they still have to keep paying, and if you ever do want to incentivise a newer title, likely with a new microtransaction model people need to buy into all over again, you simply remove the game and they can no longer play it. it also destroys the ability to mod or otherwise alter the game, something which has created countless popular genres and is still where lots of new developers get their start, but also extends playtime with no extra income and can be actively detrimental if a mod becomes the main reason people play the game and the developers of the mod then spin it out into its own title.

its also an incredibly unsustainable model without pushing even more microtransactions, and microsoft have already confirmed this will be the case for their first party titles coming to gamepass. these companies are not all suddenly pushing subscriptions out of a newfound desire to give you a better deal.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1160220/Paradise_Killer/

I can't tell if this game looks really cool or not

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

One thing that is new compared to when I used to play games more several years ago is all these free to play games. What’s up with that? Do you have to wind up paying a bunch of money to be able to compete?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

blue squares posted:

One thing that is new compared to when I used to play games more several years ago is all these free to play games. What’s up with that? Do you have to wind up paying a bunch of money to be able to compete?

Oh god, you've missed the market shift. Basically the new video game market is to make your game exactly like Fortnite. You release the game for free, and the way you monetize is two-pronged.

First, you do a "Battle Pass." This is basically a play-time logger that give you more rewards the more you play. There's the free tier that gives you meh rewards at a very slow pace, and then there's the paid tier that give you lots of cosmetics and fun dances and outfits and weapon skins. You release these in the form of seasons, so every two months you release a new Battle Pass that players need to purchase.

Secondly is the in-game store. This is a basic microtransaction store, spend money buy outfit. But, the new hook is to make all items rotate from the store on a daily basis, and to only let people buy the "featured items" every day. Say you see a pirate outfit in the store - you'd better buy it now, because if you don't, it might be weeks or months before you see it again!

The third secret method is to encourage kids to bully, both in-game and real-life, other kids who do not spend money on the game and don't have the same cool dances or outfits that you do. This is a real thing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/Harukui_i/status/1300898642149011456

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

blue squares posted:

it can be anything from pure cosmetics to actual in game advantages and its so profitable that the big f2p games make more than most full priced titles do. its also more consistent money over time with a lower development overhead because youre just adding to a single game instead of making new games constantly. unsurprisingly aaa games started adding in the same stuff while also making you pay, and now theyre moving to a sub model with microtransactions instead.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i saw what madden's ultimate team mode actually is and plays like for the first time this week and lol that people have lost thousands of dollars yearly to a mobile game bolted to a bad sports simulation on their console

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

i saw what madden's ultimate team mode actually is and plays like for the first time this week and lol that people have lost thousands of dollars yearly to a mobile game bolted to a bad sports simulation on their console

I wish the mobile game could just be normal Madden NFL season mode. Or at least have that as an option. I would play it all the time if it had the same features but was free cause the real money in the mobile game is the micro-transactions.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they apparently have no franchise mode at all so you can't do cool owner stuff

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I usually just wait for these sports games to drop to $20 and then play them each year. Titles like FIFA, Madden, and MLB the Show could release for free every single year if they wanted and still retain their AAA development costs because the vast majority of the money is in micro-transactions, they blow the actual sales profits out of the water.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Oh god, you've missed the market shift. Basically the new video game market is to make your game exactly like Fortnite. You release the game for free, and the way you monetize is two-pronged.

First, you do a "Battle Pass." This is basically a play-time logger that give you more rewards the more you play. There's the free tier that gives you meh rewards at a very slow pace, and then there's the paid tier that give you lots of cosmetics and fun dances and outfits and weapon skins. You release these in the form of seasons, so every two months you release a new Battle Pass that players need to purchase.

Secondly is the in-game store. This is a basic microtransaction store, spend money buy outfit. But, the new hook is to make all items rotate from the store on a daily basis, and to only let people buy the "featured items" every day. Say you see a pirate outfit in the store - you'd better buy it now, because if you don't, it might be weeks or months before you see it again!

The third secret method is to encourage kids to bully, both in-game and real-life, other kids who do not spend money on the game and don't have the same cool dances or outfits that you do. This is a real thing.

You can also pull a Marvel's Avengers and just have 2 and 3 and charge full price (or 130% of full price to play a few days early) and people will defend it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

You can also pull a Marvel's Avengers and just have 2 and 3 and charge full price (or 130% of full price to play a few days early) and people will defend it.

they also have a battle pass per character which to my knowledge is a new low in the industry

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Part of me thinks Avengers did it this way because they know without the initial cash flow the game is just dead in the water

e: I remember reading through Square Enix's financial statements at their partner meeting back in early 2019 and they were like "hey listen don't worry we've got this HUGE cash cow coming out in November" and it's very funny to think that this is what they were talking about

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

e: I remember reading through Square Enix's financial statements at their partner meeting back in early 2019 and they were like "hey listen don't worry we've got this HUGE cash cow coming out in November" and it's very funny to think that this is what they were talking about

Given that the holiday lineup is looking much slimmer this year, I imagine it'll do really well. It's not gonna get long term GaaS cash but the initial $60 plus MTX is gonna work for them. Unfortunately, they do know how to exploit a market.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

avengers will either be F2P or on multiple subscription services in six months

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thinking I'm starting to get to be hot poo poo in Gundam Maxiboost I looked up some videos of Japanese players who've been playing the series for years

I am but a man, Bandai Namco

I can only hit so many buttons in a tenth of a second

Real hurthling! posted:

Way to ruin it for everyone

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 3, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Codeacious posted:

Given that the holiday lineup is looking much slimmer this year, I imagine it'll do really well. It's not gonna get long term GaaS cash but the initial $60 plus MTX is gonna work for them. Unfortunately, they do know how to exploit a market.

Oh no, Avengers comes out tomorrow. This was back before they delayed the game three times, both this and I think FF7 were slated to be Holiday 2019 releases originally

instead, they have hit now the WORST timing window where school has just now started for almost everyone in America, when parents would be least likely to buy a new game

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Real hurthling! posted:

they also have a battle pass per character which to my knowledge is a new low in the industry

Which is why the PC and Xbox versions are the superiors ones you're spending less money overall if you have either of those cuz you won't feel pressured into buying Spider-Man's battle pass and alternate outfits.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been reading that the actual Avengers story is good especially Kamala Khan's stuff?

Is this a Horizon Zero Dawn in the making?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Avengers is absolutely going to sell a ridiculous amount of copies and anybody thinking otherwise is a precious gem worth protecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is this a Horizon Zero Dawn in the making?

yeah it looks bad