Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Stux posted:

its a space sim game, and probably the best one out currently given that star cit is fake and elite is a void of content

I'd rather spent 5hours in E:D going from A to B instead of fumbling through NMS loving systems.

/bad page snipe. Here is a cat with a bear hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

nms is really fun. ed isnt a game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Stux posted:

What about EVE?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

eve is simultaneously the best and worst at it and also a game i would never recommend anyone play

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

haldolium posted:

What about EVE?

Fancy spreadsheet UI.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Stux posted:

ed isnt a game.

Oh god, then what am I?!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Stux posted:

i feel like NMS isn't really a game. I am not smart enough to articulate why, it just feels like its pretending to be a game but doesn't actually have mechanics or depth to speak of. Like a mobile game or something.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I like No Man's Sky a lot and I really enjoy how meditative it is exploring planets and building my farm and just being chill.

e: Installing it now and whoops irritated my brother who was playing WoW and the latency went bad sorry pal this'll be done soon. We gotta get better at coordinating this.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 3, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Hub Cat posted:

Oh wow I guess Ultrakill surprise released today.

ULTRAKILL is a fast-paced ultraviolent old school FPS that fuses together classic shooters like Quake, modern shooters like Doom (2016) and character action games like Devil May Cry.

Mankind has gone extinct and the only beings left on earth are machines fueled by blood.
But now that blood is starting to run out on the surface...
Machines are racing to the depths of Hell in search of more.

:sickos:

I was wondering what was the release date, after playing the demo in the first indie booth promotion. I am buying the gently caress out of this.

MANKIND IS DEAD
BLOOD IS FUEL
HELL IS FULL

EDIT: :sickos: :sickos: :sickos:

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 3, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
No amount of time and patches will make No Man's Sky not a vanilla survival game. You're going to like it or hate it based on it being a game where you grind credits or what's its or both to build a base or buy a cooler space ship etc.

It's like 66% the quality of a Subnautica so anyone on the fence should play it instead and if you come out like "this is neat but the survival bit is annoying" you can widely avoid NMS.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I've played and bounced off No Man's Sky a bunch of times since release, but in the last couple of months I fired it up randomly and ended up putting like 45 hours of my 55 total played hours into it. It's been improved quite a bit and if you go in expecting a chill exploration/building experience with light star trekking, you'll like it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

haldolium posted:

What about EVE?

Only if you really, really like PvP because once the novelty wears off (it does look beautiful), you'll have to contend with other players if you ever want to get out of the high security systems. All the mid-to-endgame stuff requires you to constantly risk your ship, and if you go bust, you'll have to regrind your way back. You can actually figure it out and everything, but basically at that point EVE becomes other players. If you like that, you'll love it. Otherwise you're grinding for stuff that gives you a boatload of nothing at all unless you use it against other players or play with other players (lots of high level encounters force you to play with groups of other people because they're impossible otherwise). If you go solo, you might as well put up an animated wallpaper on your screen (Wallpaper Engine is mandatory) to simulate a good chunk of the EVE experience.

Don't bother with epic arcs. If you've ever played Freespace 2, imagine something like that except much less involved, much more cumbersome (because everything costs money), everything happens from 20 kilometres away, and maybe you'll get unlucky and the LARP pirates have decided to enter the system you're in. If something is 20 systems away, get ready to babysit your game for half an hour because you never know if LARP gankers and pirates have decided to flip tables at a particular warpgate. By the way, the Sisters of EVE epic arc is a textbook example of a giant wet fart of a campaign.

I've enjoyed my time with it as I got to really take advantage of dual screens and I love the serenity of space. But EVE is made for a certain type of player that gets really involved with a clan. I am not that type of player.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Stux posted:

eve is simultaneously the best and worst at it and also a game i would never recommend anyone play

I would never recommend NMS but rather EVE or E:D since both are somewhat space games (with heavy flaws, no doubt) but NMS is a loving world generator inventory management collectathon with no means and nothing to it. And it's definitively not chill in any way but suffocates the player with those exact system failures that have been there from day one.

Personally I never cared about the marketing expectation thing versus the actual outcome of NMS, but funny enough the above critized things are the exact stuff that annoyed me at the start and were never changed. It's just a bad game. It wants to be everything and it wants to be that on every platform, but does not offer a UI solution to what it want's to be. So it becomes a chore, hassle, annoyance very soon and throughout the entire game because it makes management and collection of ressources a major thing but cannot handle it in a chill way.

And of course, depending on the generator, your first 5-10 planet visits might be very underwhelming.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

No Man's Sky is very good, this has been No Man's Sky Corner from resident No Man's Sky Defender Black Griffon.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

NMS is the kind of 'okay' game you put 1000 hours into. If it doesn't grab you in the first hour or so you've probably seen most of what it has to offer.

I come back to it every so often and it's decent :shrug:

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 3, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

haldolium posted:

Personally I never cared about the marketing expectation thing versus the actual outcome of NMS
I can second that I never paid attention to game before it was released and I'm entirely judging it based on how fun I've found it to play in the time since. Even with the numerous improvements that were patched into the game since its initial release, I think that it is fundamentally still a shallow, boring and incredibly repetitive game. I wouldn't even recommend trying it out for the Steam return period, because the game is interesting enough for the first handful hours - it just rapidly comes crashing down once you reach a certain point and realize that this is all there really is to it and it'll never really get any more interesting than that, at which point you can't return it anymore.

Why yes, I am talking from personal experience there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hub Cat posted:

Oh wow I guess Ultrakill surprise released today.

ULTRAKILL is a fast-paced ultraviolent old school FPS that fuses together classic shooters like Quake, modern shooters like Doom (2016) and character action games like Devil May Cry.

Mankind has gone extinct and the only beings left on earth are machines fueled by blood.
But now that blood is starting to run out on the surface...
Machines are racing to the depths of Hell in search of more.

Note that it was supposed to just be released into EA but either steam glitched or they hit the wrong button because it showed as a full release for a bit. Its fixed now

Cool thing you can do in this game: punch bullets back at enemies. You can also punch your own bullets as they come out of the gun to supercharge them

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Most of what you'll be doing in NMS is:
- collecting resources to replenish various meters that deplete as you play
- collecting other resources to get upgrades to extend how long your meters last
- spending currency to increase various inventory sizes so you can pick up more resources

It has base building, but it wasn't designed into the game originally so it feels very shallow and optional. There's combat both on the ground and in space, but it's like the most basic 1-day-prototype level of combat, with no depth and bad gamefeel. The best the game has to offer is that sometimes you'll arrive at a planet and say "ooh this place looks neat". Even that isn't super common because often the planet will look just like one you've already seen.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

haldolium posted:

I would never recommend NMS but rather EVE or E:D since both are somewhat space games (with heavy flaws, no doubt) but NMS is a loving world generator inventory management collectathon with no means and nothing to it. And it's definitively not chill in any way but suffocates the player with those exact system failures that have been there from day one.

Personally I never cared about the marketing expectation thing versus the actual outcome of NMS, but funny enough the above critized things are the exact stuff that annoyed me at the start and were never changed. It's just a bad game. It wants to be everything and it wants to be that on every platform, but does not offer a UI solution to what it want's to be. So it becomes a chore, hassle, annoyance very soon and throughout the entire game because it makes management and collection of ressources a major thing but cannot handle it in a chill way.

And of course, depending on the generator, your first 5-10 planet visits might be very underwhelming.

i bought ed at launch and pop back into it once a year and i still feel like i was ripped off but i can jump into nms every few months and have fun with it for a week

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Everyone that plays space games sounds so sad.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’m playing Xenocrisis now. It kicks rear end.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

No Man's Sky is good if you like seeing pretty planets and mining poo poo. It's a chill game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Anonymous Robot posted:

Imagine experiencing Freespace 2 in the previous millenium and the game STILL hasn't been topped.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mobile Eve is really fuckin good FWIW. They took out almost all the bullshit and streamlined it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Blattdorf posted:

Imagine experiencing Freespace 2 in the previous millenium and the game STILL hasn't been topped.

This right here. Freespace 2 still has yet to be topped, it had such a good story

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My space game as a kid was escape velocity nova

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Starsector, Endless Sky and Transcendence are the current top 3 EV:Nova-esque games as far as I know. Starsector is the least like, the others are more or less direct clones.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

Starsector, Endless Sky and Transcendence are the current top 3 EV:Nova-esque games as far as I know. Starsector is the least like, the others are more or less direct clones.

Transcendence is a roguelike so not really the same gameplay loop.

There's also Not Another Escape Velocity.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/598530/Naev/

The remaster of EV: Override (now Cosmic Override) got funded on Kickstarter and is chugging along, sounds like they're mostly working on engine stuff right now.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtH9Zs51Hyk

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

3DO music is better

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Freelancer was a pretty goddamn fun space game and I wish it would at least get a remaster or GoG release to run on modern systems.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, Freelancer was great and it had some very fun mods as well. I liked it more than Freespace, personally. It was my real first experience with that kind of open world space game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hwurmp posted:

3DO music is better

This is correct and it's not even a competition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjpAE_inNlE

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you're right but it's not the one i played back in olden times so I didn't post it. i still have a place in my heart for that old mod tracker stuff.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I know it's nostalgia talking but I like the original better than the 3DO version.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
NMS would be fine if it didn't deliberately waste your loving time. There are far too many repetitive chores in the game and the GUI is unhelpful garbage. Repairing frigates in your fleet stands out as being especially blatant busywork.

The bits of story in the game are actually kind of interesting. It deals with a similar sense of doom as The Talos Principle does, which few games manage to pull off. NMS actually does fairly well in this regard because of its austere delivery.

Eve is not a space game. It's a game about the social relationship of Internet Nerds with a thin veneer of space.

E:D is probably the least good on this list because it's just utterly, completely, devoid of interesting gameplay. NMS is infuriating at times but at least there's a vision. E:D has an orgasmic soundscape and a great flight model and does gently caress all with it.

FWIW, I prefer X4 to all of those because it plays like a space 4X where I can fly the ships myself.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Unrelated: Spiritfarer makes me feel :smith:

Both in terms of themes, but also because it sets a trap for people like me who Must. Optimise. Things.
So I was stuck in a loop of constant busywork until I forced myself to stop watering the crops, to stop doing all the minigames, to stop scouring every island for resources. The game immediately became much more pleasant to play, crops grew on their own anyway, feeding people isn't that hard either.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Privateer was probably my favorite and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is finally getting a Steam release:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/910830/Rebel_Galaxy_Outlaw/

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wonderful 101 still owns but I am real bad at getting decent combo scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

NMS is an overbearingly grindy experience that at least gives you cool planets to look at so that might be enough to carry it for you, hell it might be enough to carry it for me if it weren't for the glaring fact that after all these years it's still buggier than a Bethesda title at launch.

If you want to spend a hundred hours assembling a fleet that's neato, but good luck getting it to not arbitrarily loving vanish, or end up with ghost geometry manifesting somewhere that gets you stuck inside a nonexistent wall or :suicide: