Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/daniela_witten/status/1301632149951410177

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

:hmbol:

Edit:

https://twitter.com/drakegatsby/status/1301520343065128964?s=21

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Sep 4, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Imagine a perfectly spherical undergrad

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

I don't know much about the omega verse but the knotting thing seems to be the crux of it

Would you like to know more?

that's a lindsay ellis video that jenny nicholson was a part of which is probably what prompted the tweet

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

drat

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Son of Rodney posted:

- Carthago delenda est
ceterum censeo poopoo peepee

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

[moments later, overheard at a krispy kreme]

"Yeah she said I know my rights, and I was like, TASTE 200 DEGREE ASPHALT SCUM. She died, but it's whatever got my paid admin time."

e: just a remind there's a 40% chance this dude would Self Report that he beats his wife or husband.

e2: Just so people don't think I'm being an rear end in a top hat, this cop is Arius George, and he makes 100k a year to beat protesters in los angeles.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Sep 4, 2020

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Boba Pearl posted:

e2: Just so people don't think I'm being an rear end in a top hat, this cop is Arius George, and he makes 100k a year to beat protesters in los angeles.

poo poo, I'd do it for half that.

Edit: actually I wouldn't I'm just broke.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/ShammaBoyarin/status/1301310590544044032?s=20

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

nice AD. MODS?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Paging Moon Slayer™, LLC.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Trickshotcop is probably not the best name.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What they don't show you is how many courts full of children they went through until he made the shot.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

christmas boots posted:

Imagine a perfectly spherical undergrad

Easy. Just turn off your monitor.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Easy. Just turn off your monitor.

All monitors should come in randomly-determined funhouse mirror designs. No labels on the packaging, either: you won't know whether your reflection will be super skinny or make your head look huge or what until you get home and unpack the thing.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Pookah posted:

Just spent the last half hour finding and listening to everything he's done, with occasional excited breaks to run off and show it to other people. So goddamn talented.

edit: pretend this is a tweet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nbw9wrDNh4

From a few pages ago, but you should listen to Vulfpeck/Fearless Flyers if you like that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7nCDrf90V8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72_zXigcOrA

Here's a tweet
https://twitter.com/FreneticSqueak/status/1301190403803303937

E:
https://twitter.com/nameshiv/status/1301684041612058624

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/GameObjectives/status/1301693965851193344

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

[moments later, overheard at a krispy kreme]

"Yeah she said I know my rights, and I was like, TASTE 200 DEGREE ASPHALT SCUM. She died, but it's whatever got my paid admin time."

e: just a remind there's a 40% chance this dude would Self Report that he beats his wife or husband.

Ok I'm sorry to derail the thread again but this right here? This, in general, is the kind of posting I'm trying to discourage in PYF. Not because of the content of the post but because it's talking about something we all know already. Oh you say cops are bad? Gee, I've never heard that opinion before and my mind is just completely blown. It's preaching to the choir, AND we have a perfectly good subforum for discussing the actual details of the issue.

It just ... to me it just seems like proselytizing, or that every time someone posts "hey did you know cops are bad" they are just waiting for someone to pipe up and say "I don't think so" so that they can dogpile on them because it would just feel so good to have a tangible target for your very real frustration. But PYF is not that place. PYF is the place to chill out and post funny/interesting things.

And I know at least someone is going to unironically either say or PM me or think "what are you saying, that I can't say cops are bad? That must mean you think cops are good!" or replace "cops" with "Trump" or "racists" or "putting two spaces after a period." But come ON you know that's not what I'm saying.

Again I'm sorry to derail the thread and I'm not calling you out specifically Boba Pearl. I just want PYF to be a fun place to hang out and not have to think about anything too serious for a while and not have to wade through "did you know capitalism is bad" post #564 because yes, we did already, thank you.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm not a mod, and I don't want to step on your shoe, but maybe a moratorium on the kind of posts that generate those posts would be best then. It's a lot easier to enforce a "Don't have this content" rule than a "Don't react to this content in x/y/z way." It's more fair, and it's more clear cut. Just my 2 cents, and I get what you're trying to say, and will try to avoid it in the future.

e: I've also been pepper sprayed, and had friend who were brutalized by the police, seeing stuff that tries to white was them, and make you more sympathetic and cool with them disgusts me in a visceral way I have a problem not reacting too.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 02:47 on Sep 4, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

No, please, I will always welcome feedback, in public or in private.

I'm coming from a place where I don't really want to make hard and fast rules, ie "if you do this I'll probate you" because I trust PYF posters to want to have a fun, chill subforum instead of an angry political one. We just need a nudge in the right direction now and then.

Just like I trust you all to be reasonable, smart, good people who don't NEED a poster to come in and tell you that systemic racism is a problem.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I added in an edit more about why *cool police does thing* videos frustrate me, but also. From my point of view, defending one type of reaction but not another ends up looking like taking a side. Obviously, I'm not saying you're a boot licker who wants to gently caress pigs, that's really extreme, but it makes it so saying positive things about the cool police officer is ok, but negative things aren't. This police officer is known for abusing protesters, even if I went over board in being upset, that's information people should know about him.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I added in an edit more about why *cool police does thing* videos frustrate me, but also. From my point of view, defending one type of reaction but not another ends up looking like taking a side. Obviously, I'm not saying you're a boot licker who wants to gently caress pigs, that's really extreme, but it makes it so saying positive things about the cool police officer is ok, but negative things aren't. This police officer is known for abusing protesters, even if I went over board in being upset, that's information people should know about him.

See, now, again, I'm coming at this from a place where I trust that people in PYF won't have a positive reaction to that. I'm not arguing with you and I appreciate the feedback; it's just that you seem to be assuming that goons are maybe worse than they really are? The forum culture war is over, people: we won. Yes we need to be vigilant about people with terrible opinions popping up but for the most part everyone posting here agrees on like 99% of things. That's why I keep using the phrase "preaching to the choir."

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm not a mod, and I don't want to step on your shoe, but maybe a moratorium on the kind of posts that generate those posts would be best then. It's a lot easier to enforce a "Don't have this content" rule than a "Don't react to this content in x/y/z way." It's more fair, and it's more clear cut. Just my 2 cents, and I get what you're trying to say, and will try to avoid it in the future.

e: I've also been pepper sprayed, and had friend who were brutalized by the police, seeing stuff that tries to white was them, and make you more sympathetic and cool with them disgusts me in a visceral way I have a problem not reacting too.

Moon Slayer asked people not to respond to jokes by acting like boring dorks and your response is "but I can't help acting like a boring dork, maybe you should just ban jokes instead"?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps an issue is that choir preaching is how some people chill out, like if everyone supposedly agrees on 99% of things then you are going to get political jokes.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
cocaine bear posted that bad cop-lover tweet ironically in an attempt at protesting moon slayer so there was actually nobody involved who thought it was good

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I disagree, but I see your point and will try my best not to get pissy when people post pro cop propaganda, but that does not change the fact that it's pro-cop propaganda.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Isn't Cocaine Bear the one who compared brand posting to copaganda? Then posted that Tweet deliberately to stir poo poo up?

I too come to PYF to destress and look at things that make me happy, if I want to hear about how Capitalism is a disease destroying our world I'll just read the news, or go to C-Spam.

I think copaganda might be a bridge too far in terms of content for sure, I would love to see some sick burns from Wendy's or whatever, they're funny and if you're so burned out on the world you can't handle it, I dunno what to tell you, at some point I need to shut up the thoughts of climate disaster and whatnot.

It's not like people are posting their favorite hits from companies like Union Carbide, Goldman Sachs, and Bechtel ITT.

E: for full disclosure, I was tear gassed protesting the Iraq War, and later joined the military, so I'm probably an idiot.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boba Pearl posted:

but that does not change the fact that it's pro-cop propaganda.

Okay cool maybe try giving people here enough credit to assume that we are adults and we also know that

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

Boba Pearl this is the part where you ironically post a ben shapiro tweet in protest and then captain monkey gets angry and we just continue in an ouroboros

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I disagree, but I see your point and will try my best not to get pissy when people post pro cop propaganda, but that does not change the fact that it's pro-cop propaganda.

Point to one "pro-cop propaganda" tweet posted in this thread.

Not including Cocaine Bear's earlier.

(btw they and I exchanged PMs where we both acknowledged that we didn't handle those exchanges the best and apologized to each other so we're cool)

But if people want rules, okay, here's rules: No pro-police tweets allowed. Anti-police tweets only if they are legitimately funny on their own merits. There you go. A Rule.

\/ it is a thing that I very much do NOT loving enjoy

basically:

Crane Fist posted:

Okay cool maybe try giving people here enough credit to assume that we are adults and we also know that

Moon Slayer has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Sep 4, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Not to reignite drama, but posting and responding to these sorts of posts with more information about the bad cop and stuff is obviously a thing at least some PYF posters (myself obviously included) actually enjoy!

I like knowing that cop’s name. I like that the thread points out problematic media. It’d be pretty easy to ignore, and not calling it out runs the same risk of normalizing police-as-good-guys or whatever the topic is as it does in any other forum. At this point Moon Slayer’s outrage that someone posted ‘cop bad here’s more info’ is taking up far more of the thread than the actual post itself did.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can fix a lot of terrible discussion in threads by requiring every post to have a picture (or a tweet here). It doesn't need to be enforced all the time, but a month every now and then does wonders.

https://twitter.com/kebeansprouts/status/1301234295571279872

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I think corporate tweets are fine though, I love it when wendy's bitch talks McDonalds or whatever, that might make me a hyppocrite or w/e but you're supposed to hate all of them, and most of the time they do that effectively.

Plus arby's video game / tv tweets are cool

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/1289214232857387009/photo/1

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I like tweets that are funny (police on fire counts as funny)

https://twitter.com/adamgknox/status/1301696891013357568

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you goddamn monster, don't you know that by engaging with #brands you are literally travelling back in time and shooting allende

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

You can fix a lot of terrible discussion in threads by requiring every post to have a picture (or a tweet here). It doesn't need to be enforced all the time, but a month every now and then does wonders.

I think I pulled the trigger on that a few too many times early on when I first became a mod. I got the impression people didn't really like it all that much. :(

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

There’s an alternate universe where someone posted a low content dig against brand posts, no moderator weighed in, and it was forgotten before the end of the page.

Moon Slayer, Please moderate less assertively or noticeably. A tremendous portion of the last several pages is about you in one way or another. No one likes it when the referees are the most memorable part of a game of basketball.

By being more judicious about when you assert yourself as a mod, you will be more effective and credible when moderation is required.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Moon Slayer posted:

I think I pulled the trigger on that a few too many times early on when I first became a mod. I got the impression people didn't really like it all that much. :(

It takes us back to the brutal tyrannies of BroJo and the Eggplant Wizard, which was not in fact a delightful children's cartoon but an awful pedantic era of dogshit moderation

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yoshi Wins posted:

Moon Slayer, Please moderate less assertively or noticeably. A tremendous portion of the last several pages is about you in one way or another. No one likes it when the referees are the most memorable part of a game of basketball.

NEVER.

I will always, and I mean ALWAYS, take any opportunity I possibly can to just really, really stick my foot in it. I mean to just completely bollocks a situation up. You think this is bad? There is NOTHING that I cannot make worse just by participating in it. Just ask my middle school gym teacher. Challenge loving accepted, "Yoshi Wins," if that is your real name. I'm going to follow you around PYF and post off-topic, leading questions about tipping and circumcision now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If corporate tweets ever get banned I think Arbys should get a pass. That one's obviously just some nerd who somehow fell into a paid gig doing little arts and crafts and I'm happy for them

Plus it will never trick anybody into eating at Arbys, because it is Arbys