Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Inceltown posted:

Just you baby :pervert:

Can we retitle this thread PYF Post/Username Combos? I don't want to derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Splicer posted:

An entire life of just having gotten out of the shower

You poor bastard

A city where there are two seasons: "your washing is dry before you finish hanging it up" and "all fabric in your house is mouldy".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I went up to Darwin after high school during the hottest part of the year and I don't think I ever adjusted back.

You should really cut back on your drinking and drug use :ohdear:.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mind you, might just be from growing up in the country and being raised by cats, I consider 30c a good relaxing day.

Breetai posted:

A city where there are two seasons: "your washing is dry before you finish hanging it up" and "all fabric in your house is mouldy".

Also, cicadas.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should really cut back on your drinking and drug use :ohdear:.

Can't, it's mandatory in NT

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Can't, it's mandatory in Australia

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Can't, it's mandatory in 2020

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Does that mean I shouldn't be wake n baking?

Because I gotta tell you 2020 gives me anxiety by 10am if I'm sober

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So I've learned that Darwin is the Houston of Australia.

Explains a lot.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Captain Monkey posted:

So I've learned that Darwin is the Houston of Australia.

Explains a lot.

It also got bombed once, blown away by a cyclone and briefly taken over by communists.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

beep by grandpa posted:

Hillary Clinton could not save one SA poster much less three hundred.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It also got ... briefly taken over by communists.

So it’s cooler than Houston.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

All I know is that pretty much no one lives in the entire northern part of Australia (not even on the coasts), and Darwin is basically the only real city there. It's so isolated that I imagine it's developed a bunch of idiosyncrasies, especially before the Internet age. They probably have some insane subculture that exists nowhere else, it's not like anyone could quickly pop over to Cairns to see what the scene was like there.

Why am I interested in things like this

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

Using "pants making GBS threads" or "diaper wearing" or "crap encrusted" as a slur is very offensive to those of us that have only imperfect or sporadic control of our bowels please do better

e: sorry wrong thread

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Phlegmish posted:

All I know is that pretty much no one lives in the entire northern part of Australia (not even on the coasts), and Darwin is basically the only real city there. It's so isolated that I imagine it's developed a bunch of idiosyncrasies, especially before the Internet age. They probably have some insane subculture that exists nowhere else, it's not like anyone could quickly pop over to Cairns to see what the scene was like there.

Why am I interested in things like this

lmao, white Australia doesn't have culture. The only real difference between Melbourne and Darwin is that in Darwin the drinks come in smaller glasses so your beer doesn't warm up too much before you finish it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Australian culture actually seems very distinctive to an outsider, but I get what you mean. Anyway, don't dash my hopes like that. I was hoping to learn about Darwin's thriving Papuan-influenced punk scene or something.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inceltown posted:

lmao, white Australia doesn't have culture.

Someone's never heard AC/DC!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inceltown posted:

lmao, white Australia doesn't have culture. The only real difference between Melbourne and Darwin is that in Darwin the drinks come in smaller glasses so your beer doesn't warm up too much before you finish it.

Melbourne's a very multi-cultural city, while Darwin just has a shitload of people drinking and doing drugs every day in a vain effort to try and forget they're in Darwin.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Inceltown posted:

Pretending white people don't have a culture is because white culture is the default, "normal" isn't "normal". This is not the edgy burn you think it is lol

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Melbourne's a very multi-cultural city, while Darwin just has a shitload of people drinking and doing drugs every day in a vain effort to try and forget they're in Darwin.

Darwin sounds more interesting to be honest

Do they wear stillsuits during the dry season

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Inceltown posted:

There's no such thing as not having a culture. There's places that aren't noticably distinct from certain other places, but if you ever think "these people have no culture" what you're really seeing is an area where the culture is the stuff you view as the default.

Edit: someone beat me to it, but it's important to point out.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The idea that a group of human beings, any group, has 'no culture' or that they might have more or less culture than a different group (as if it's something that can be objectively quantified), is indeed profoundly stupid and would imply a childlike understanding of the concept of culture if put forward seriously.

But also I'm pretty sure Inceltown is a (white) Australian and it's just one of those lazy self-deprecating comments that goons love to sprinkle around, so let's chill.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Phlegmish posted:

But also I'm pretty sure Inceltown is a (white) Australian and it's just one of those lazy self-deprecating comments that goons love to sprinkle around, so let's chill.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phlegmish posted:

... so let's chill.

Never.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
My culture is being pointlessly hostile on the internet

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If you really want to know about white australian culture, the documentary YOLO: Crystal Fantasy has you covered

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Joe Bogan posted:

My culture is being pointlessly hostile on the internet

One of the best short descriptions of SA goons I've heard yet.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

cultures have values like telephones have conversations

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

If cultures don't have quantifiable value then how come I can get a cultural victory in Civilization? Check and mate.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Moon Slayer posted:

If cultures don't have quantifiable value then how come I can get a cultural victory in Civilization? Check and mate.

Have you ever got a cultural victory as an Australian?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yes. Don't know how anyone can say Australia lacks culture when they built the pyramids, Stonehenge, the Hagia Sofia, and Hoover Dam.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Phlegmish posted:

The idea that a group of human beings, any group, has 'no culture' or that they might have more or less culture than a different group (as if it's something that can be objectively quantified), is indeed profoundly stupid and would imply a childlike understanding of the concept of culture if put forward seriously.

Yeah nah mate, we've got poo poo all in terms of culture unless you count all the crap we've stolen from other countries or cargo culted from the mother country.

Profoundly stupid with a childlike understanding of the concept of culture is pretty Australian tho.

E: burgers with beetroot, egg and grated carrot are probably uniquely Australian. Maybe you're right?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Outrail posted:

Yeah nah mate, we've got poo poo all in terms of culture unless you count all the crap we've stolen from other countries or cargo culted from the mother country.

Profoundly stupid with a childlike understanding of the concept of culture is pretty Australian tho.

E: burgers with beetroot, egg and grated carrot are probably uniquely Australian. Maybe you're right?

Where's your pineapple on that burger?

Moon Slayer posted:

Yes. Don't know how anyone can say Australia lacks culture when they built the pyramids, Stonehenge, the Hagia Sofia, and Hoover Dam.

Ahh so you didn't play as white Australians then. Using the longest surviving continuous culture in history to get a 'cultural victory' seems like using easy mode.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

lipstick thespian posted:

I DONT THINK SO GBS. HOW COULD YOU loving GAS MY THREAD YOU loving MODS?

I WISH TO BE BANNED AS A MARTYR TO THE YES DEAR CAUSE.

11/12 NEVER FORGET!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moon Slayer posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Moon Slayer posted:

Cultural victories aren’t won by generating culture.

They’re won by attracting tourists.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Moon Slayer posted:

All my victories involve space travel and genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Blue Footed Booby posted:

All my victories involve space travel and genocide.

A pleasure to meet you Gul Dukat