Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

M_Sinistrari posted:

I guess my biggest gripe with the superhero films is it seems like the writers barely skim a wiki article when it comes to material. If they actually dug into the source material, there's so much they could roll with for movies. If X-men ever progresses to where they do the Inferno storyline, that's at least two movies there considering the full on demonic possession of New York City. If they ever branch into the other superteams like Alpha Flight (Canada's big superteam), they'd be able to show Northstar who was the first established gay hero who wasn't a stereotype (and first gay marriage in comics) along with several Indigenous superheros.

Instead it's how many times can things get brought back to Avengers. I have some vestige of hope with Morbius opening the possibility of the Midnight Sons (Marvel's grouping for all the horror themed heroes) since they've already done Blade, Ghost Rider, and Dr. Strange, but with all the stuff I'm hearing from the rumor mill about Marvel and Disney I'm just not sure what'll happen.

A proper adaptation of Final Crisis would be amazing in that regard

Also watching a documentary about Action Park right now, and now I'm imagining a horror movie based on the concept, like a modern Troma film in terms of ludicrous gore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

drrockso20 posted:

Also watching a documentary about Action Park right now, and now I'm imagining a horror movie based on the concept, like a modern Troma film in terms of ludicrous gore

I still need to sit through that. My fiance did and as a former EMT, he was cringing through it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Instead it's how many times can things get brought back to Avengers. I have some vestige of hope with Morbius opening the possibility of the Midnight Sons (Marvel's grouping for all the horror themed heroes) since they've already done Blade, Ghost Rider, and Dr. Strange, but with all the stuff I'm hearing from the rumor mill about Marvel and Disney I'm just not sure what'll happen.
I actually think the MCU is shifting a bit in that direction. Doctor Strange 2 will be directed by Sam Raimi and its believed it will be more horrory. WandaVision doesn't sound horror but it does sound weird and is supposed to tie in with Strange, as is the Loki show. A Blade film has been announced for Phase 5. There's a Moon Knight TV show coming to Disney+. There's also a Helstrom show coming to Hulu, although that's like what's left of the pre-Disney+ tv deals so its probably one and done. There was also supposed to be a Ghost Rider show on Hulu.

I don't know if its deliberate or just Marvel fishing for more ideas but it does sound like they're gonna be adding supernatural/horror stuff into the MCU and that opens doors.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

I actually think the MCU is shifting a bit in that direction. Doctor Strange 2 will be directed by Sam Raimi and its believed it will be more horrory. WandaVision doesn't sound horror but it does sound weird and is supposed to tie in with Strange, as is the Loki show. A Blade film has been announced for Phase 5. There's a Moon Knight TV show coming to Disney+. There's also a Helstrom show coming to Hulu, although that's like what's left of the pre-Disney+ tv deals so its probably one and done. There was also supposed to be a Ghost Rider show on Hulu.

I don't know if its deliberate or just Marvel fishing for more ideas but it does sound like they're gonna be adding supernatural/horror stuff into the MCU and that opens doors.

I'm iffy about Blade since Wesley Snipes kicked rear end in that role. Not to mention I don't think they can top this for an opening scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHBhKbF2xMA

I didn't know about Hellstrom. I remember when they tried to give his book another run and it was this really bizarre Marvel channels Vertigo kinda thing. I wonder if they'd bring in his sister Satanna. Ghost Rider I've heard bounced around as doing some sort of remake/reboot, but as much as some ragged on it, Nicholas Cage was a good Johnny Blaze and the movie's effects were gorgeous for the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPDWJalJcZU

That still leaves Werewolf By Night, and Simon Garth-ZOMBIE. Marvel did have runs of Frankenstein and Dracula but there's probably rights issues that'd come up if they so much as rolled the idea around.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dracula and Frankenstein have been public domain for decades.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the only thing that could possibly be more bland than the PG13 blumhouse-mike-flanagan garbage of the 2010s would be MCU horror movies.

I may not like every horror movie a production company like A24 puts out but theyre at least interesting and usually quite well made. Horror needs to think outside the box more, not get blander. And MCU movies are the very definition of bland.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hollismason posted:

The real question is what's going to be your horror movie horror challenge for this year. Not just watching movies but a challenge you give yourself.

This will be my first year participating but I've been watching a ton of movies since March (mostly horror) when the whole lockdown, working from home thing started. So I don't want to give myself too tough a challenge, but one of the things I will be trying to do is finish series. I haven't watched the last couple Phantasm movies, I recently rewatched the first couple Rob Zombie Firefly movies but haven't watched 3 From Hell, there's a Re-Animator sequel I haven't seen and so on. So that will be part of my goal.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Is there a list of challenges or any good ones recommended? I thought about looking up top 50 horror movies all time on google and then clicked on the one rolling stone magazine did. I could do it but ive seen probably half of them already and a good chunk of those in the past month.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Is there a list of challenges or any good ones recommended? I thought about looking up top 50 horror movies all time on google and then clicked on the one rolling stone magazine did. I could do it but ive seen probably half of them already and a good chunk of those in the past month.

They Shoot Zombies, Don't They? is a top 1000 horror movie list if you want something that big.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

There's a pretty comprehensive list of the 1000 best horror movies that you can find on Letterboxd, it's called They Shoot Zombies Don't They?

Other than that, I like to just choose weekly themes. If you give the thread a theme and ask for recommendations you'll get a ton of options. Vampires, Werewolves, Slashers, Lovecraft, Gothic horror, Italian horror, Ghost stories, Creature Features, Folk Horror, you name it. The genre is so broad, there's more potential themes than you could get through in one October.

A lot of people have also done a chronological theme, where you watch a certain # of movies from each year or each decade. That can be a good way to be exposed to stuff you may not have known about before.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's going to be an insane atrocity if Marvel doesn't cast Snipes as Whistler in the Blade reboot.

It's going to be an insane atrocity if Marvel doesn't cast Snipes as Count Dracula in the Blade reboot.

It's going to be an insane atrocity if Marvel doesn't cast Snipes, Sticky Fingaz, and J.D. Hall as Blade in Blade: Into the Skaterverse

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Do a google search or a Letterboxd search for "Hooptober". It's a yearly theme-based challenge of 31 movies, and it's good for helping come up with ideas.

edit-- this year's challenge:

quote:

6 countries
6 decades
7 2nd films of franchises
4 body horror films
2 films from this year
3 disease based films
The highest rated horror film from the 50s that you haven't seen and can access.
1 film that is set entirely inside one location
1 Invisible Person film
1 Non Dracula Hammer Film
2 films with a black director or predominantly black cast or lead.
1 film with a movie theater in it.

And 1 Tobe Hooper Films (There must ALWAYS be a Hooper film)

***FOR THOSE THAT LIKE TO DO EXTRA WORK: WATCH The Witch Who Came From the Sea and Cube 2: Hypercube

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 4, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Think I'm going to do a nostalgic stream of Halloween episodes and specials this year if anyone's keen to watch. I'll probably go chronologically starting in the 50s and then go through the early 00s. Maybe the weekend before Halloween if it's not competing with another stream?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Think I'm going to do a nostalgic stream of Halloween episodes and specials this year if anyone's keen to watch. I'll probably go chronologically starting in the 50s and then go through the early 00s. Maybe the weekend before Halloween if it's not competing with another stream?

The weekends are usually Scream Stream territory but they're in the evenings so you could probably do like a Sunday daytime stream or something. Or weekday evenings, obviously.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Edgar Wright’s Top 100 Horror is essential

Slant’s 100 Horror Movies is also very good, and what I used before Wright’s. I think Wright’s is better, especially for a more UK bent curation.

I’m now using IndieWire’s Top 100 Horror movies is my current list, cuz I have a dozen left from that

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Slant’s 100 Horror Movies is also very good, and what I used before Wright’s. I think Wright’s is better, especially for a more UK bent curation.

I don't normally split hairs on what is/isn't horror, but a couple of those are pretty questionable. Bigger Than Life? Last Year at Marienbad?? Most of those are good picks though, and I like that Zombie's Halloween II is on there.

Franchescanado posted:

I'm now using IndieWire’s Top 100 Horror movies is my current list, cuz I have a dozen left from that

That's a good list too, and I also have exactly a dozen left! If I finish Edgar Wright's list I can try to work on that afterwards

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The official Slant list is just the first 100, so that’s all I considered. But all of these lists have weird exceptions.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: The Fly vs Rebecca, AND Lair of the White Worm vs Special Effects, FRIDAY TONIGHT on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1900 EST Rebecca
2120 EST The Fly
2300 EST The Lair of the White Worm
0040 EST Special Effects

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm iffy about Blade since Wesley Snipes kicked rear end in that role. Not to mention I don't think they can top this for an opening scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHBhKbF2xMA
Snipes is iconic but casting Mahershala Ali as Blade is a drat good swing at it.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I didn't know about Hellstrom. I remember when they tried to give his book another run and it was this really bizarre Marvel channels Vertigo kinda thing. I wonder if they'd bring in his sister Satanna. Ghost Rider I've heard bounced around as doing some sort of remake/reboot, but as much as some ragged on it, Nicholas Cage was a good Johnny Blaze and the movie's effects were gorgeous for the time.
Hellstrom is Damion and Satana trying to stop their dad or something. Ghost Rider was supposed to be the Robbie Reyes version from Agents of SHIELD with the same actor with . To be honest I don't have high expectations for Hellstrom. But the fact that they planned Hellstrom and Ghost Rider shows together seems relevant. The announced them as the first of a series of Hulu "Adventure into Fear" shows similar to the Netflix Defenders stuff. Plans changed with Disney+ but it does seem like maybe MCU is starting to tap into the supernatural/horror stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9XTA2DkHm4

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

This is not movie-related, but I just found this and I'm incredibly excited. Archive.org has a collection called "It Was Once Music Television" which is mostly composed of full MTV VJ sets, complete with music videos, introductions, commercials, everything. It also includes the full 5 hour MTV Elvira Halloween special from 1984!!!

https://archive.org/details/1984.10.31_MTV_Halloween_Special_5_Hours_with_Guest_VJ_Elvira_October_31st_1984

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

Snipes is iconic but casting Mahershala Ali as Blade is a drat good swing at it.

yeah as much I like Snipes in that role, he's not half the actor Ali is

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
While Ali can act circles around Snipes, no argument, he lacks the primal insanity necessary to fully flavor the role.

Can you see Ali giving an in-character interview?

It's the Kinski factor.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

This is not movie-related, but I just found this and I'm incredibly excited. Archive.org has a collection called "It Was Once Music Television" which is mostly composed of full MTV VJ sets, complete with music videos, introductions, commercials, everything. It also includes the full 5 hour MTV Elvira Halloween special from 1984!!!

https://archive.org/details/1984.10.31_MTV_Halloween_Special_5_Hours_with_Guest_VJ_Elvira_October_31st_1984

This is amazing! Also Oingi Boingi's Little Girls song is loving insane.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nic Cage was way too old to play Ghost Rider. The guy's supposed to be a James Dean rebel youth type.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

This is amazing! Also Oingi Boingi's Little Girls song is loving insane.

I respect the punk impulse to offend but, yeah, that song was a choice. Danny Elfman would have made an amazing Joker though, I love how unhinged he is in that video.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Speaking of the They Shoot Zombies list, what are people’s viewing percentages on that? Not as like a competition, I’m just curious how common some of these movies are. Sometimes I feel like all I do is watch horror movies, and I think I have a 43% on that list. My percentage on the IndieWire list is much higher, as there’s maybe 10-12 of those I haven’t seen

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Benito Cereno posted:

Speaking of the They Shoot Zombies list, what are people’s viewing percentages on that? Not as like a competition, I’m just curious how common some of these movies are. Sometimes I feel like all I do is watch horror movies, and I think I have a 43% on that list. My percentage on the IndieWire list is much higher, as there’s maybe 10-12 of those I haven’t seen

27%, a real poser. Not having watched a horror movie older than Psycho probably scuppers my score more than anything, and I'd say maybe 90% of the movies I watch are horror

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm at 40% (403 of 1000) Amer is on the list, so I approve.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I'm at 81% on They Shoot Zombies, but I've been purposefully making my way through it so I've probably done like 20% just this year. I think I'm just about finished with it though, going through the lower ranked entries I'm giving out a lot of 2.5 ratings so it's gotten to be a slog.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm at 55%. The pre-1950 stuff is definitely dragging my score down.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Stink Billyums posted:

I'm at 81% on They Shoot Zombies, but I've been purposefully making my way through it so I've probably done like 20% just this year. I think I'm just about finished with it though, going through the lower ranked entries I'm giving out a lot of 2.5 ratings so it's gotten to be a slog.

I’m trying to go through it myself. I don’t think I want to 100% it, but I’d definitely like to have seen, say, the top 200. It’s tricky, because some of them can be hard to find. Thread favorite, Possession, for example, isn’t streaming on any service I have, and there’s no dvd available from Netflix, and I’m not interested in torrents or whatever.

I also have a friend who’s been hassling me for years about not having seen the Frederic March Jekyll and Hyde, but afaik the only way to see that is to rent it on Youtube, and I’m just old enough that that feels very stupid to me. Like, I would buy it blind on dvd, but Amazon only had the 41 Spencer Tracy version last time I looked

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I bought Possession on Blu-ray in Edinburgh partly because I was like "poo poo better own a physical copy of this because no way it'll stay on any streaming service."

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This is extremely awesome and thank you so much for posting it.

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

drrockso20 posted:

Thank you for posting this, I was super interested in the subject and watched it last night. Was way better than I hoped, even with the rough transition in tone about an hour through. I've watched a ton of random videos and read a lot about Action Park online, but this had so much extensive footage of parts of the park I had no idea was around.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:vince: 30 mins! :vince:

:spooky: The Fly vs Rebecca, AND Lair of the White Worm vs Special Effects, FRIDAY TONIGHT on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1900 EST Rebecca
2120 EST The Fly
2300 EST The Lair of the White Worm
0040 EST Special Effects

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Benito Cereno posted:

I'm at 33%, and yet I've seen 376 horror movies. I think that just tells me that They Shoot Zombies have total poser taste in horror movies :colbert:

e: Or that I'm bad at math and nearly all the horror movies I've seen are on the list. Either one.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I’m at a respectable 61% on the They Shoot Zombies list. Only 387 left to go!

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
I’m only at 23% on TSZDT :( I still have a lot of catching up to do

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I still have 80% of the greatest horror movies of all time to experience for the first time, suckers :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Benito Cereno posted:

50%, with 508 seen. There's a lot from the '30s-50's on there that I haven't seen.