Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
wow, officer Miltwitter is loving hot this morning about E vs. O punishment double standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

GD_American posted:

wow, officer Miltwitter is loving hot this morning about E vs. O punishment double standards

What happened to LT tiktok? I thought he got a sabot round to the chest?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Basically the eternal argument about whether a GOMOR which carries no extra duty or financial hardship but puts you on clear ETS glidepath is worse than or better than an article 15 which has time/finance hardship but is recoverable as far as not being forced out.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I've found that higher ups love, LOVE, a dude who fucks up and recovers. I think it validates their personal beliefs in bootstraps or something.

I have seen guys, of whom I was certain had committed career ending fuckups (multiple times even), "correcting" course (getting better at hiding it) and ending up flying through the ranks and commanding brigades and divisions.

But that could also simply be my birds of a feather theory about high ranking people.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

I've found that higher ups love, LOVE, a dude who fucks up and recovers. I think it validates their personal beliefs in bootstraps or something.

I have seen guys, of whom I was certain had committed career ending fuckups (multiple times even), "correcting" course (getting better at hiding it) and ending up flying through the ranks and commanding brigades and divisions.

But that could also simply be my birds of a feather theory about high ranking people.

"Got to get de-moted to get pro-moted"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

GD_American posted:

"Got to get de-moted to get pro-moted"

My dad was promoted to E-4 three times. lol

I couldn't make E-4, so I got a commision.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

spacetoaster posted:

Ducks pick ducks. The biggest problem in the Navy O leadership. This is how we ended up with USS Fitzgerald and USS John S. McCain collisions where sailors died while asleep in their berthing because officers couldn't manage risk and drive ships.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Howard Phillips posted:

Ducks pick ducks. The biggest problem in the Navy O leadership. This is how we ended up with USS Fitzgerald and USS John S. McCain collisions where sailors died while asleep in their berthing because officers couldn't manage risk and drive ships.

Yeesh. But yeah.

The Army is trying to fix that by making selection boards even more blind so that an infantry ranger COL with a combat deployment and combat medals can't select another officer with a similar background. Also your official photo is gone too.

I understand what they're trying to fix, but holy poo poo will it probably allow dirtbags to slip through more often.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
They needed to get rid of the photos. One of the officers from my deployment tried to get at her expense the official background for her promotion board to CPT(national guard) shipped to Africa. Of course she didn’t get it there because they found a way to not ship it, but it serves nobody having DA photos and just wastes money and time.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

White Chocolate posted:

They needed to get rid of the photos. One of the officers from my deployment tried to get at her expense the official background for her promotion board to CPT(national guard) shipped to Africa. Of course she didn’t get it there because they found a way to not ship it, but it serves nobody having DA photos and just wastes money and time.

AR 640–30 allows you to be exempt from photo requirements if you're in a place where you can't get one.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Just checked the status of my disability appeal on the VA's website. Says they closed it on April 30 due to them not hearing back from me.

Someone in my attorney's office has some 'splaining to do.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

McNally posted:

Just checked the status of my disability appeal on the VA's website. Says they closed it on April 30 due to them not hearing back from me.

Someone in my attorney's office has some 'splaining to do.

SSA is being extremely lenient on reasons for late filing of appeals, hope VA is too.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

PeterCat posted:

I'm watching my unit slowly turn into Nazis. A while ago one of the guys told me he was listening to a Jordan Peterson recommended audio book about how the people who perpetrated the Holocaust justified it mentally.

Next time I saw him he was talking about how people should be allowed only one dose of Narcan (emergency anti-overdose medicine) and after that the paramedics should let them die. Literally talking about letting undesirable people die.

Then he started going on about how there will be a Civil War if Biden is elected.

I need to be done but I've got a service obligation and I'm 2 years from retirement, but gently caress I'm starting to figure out why people I've known have gotten out at 18 years.

Yeah it's pretty loving bad. You'll get TARP briefs about ISIS but none about loving boogaloo. I found a bunch of "boogaloo 2020" stickers near our building and had to explain to my (older) commander what they were so he could put out a statement against it.

Also had a another fellow company commander a couple years ago who made his LTs read Peterson - this was before I really knew who he was. That commander is super, super misogynistic and I hope he has a bunch of female subordinates who won't put up with him.

Ashmole fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 5, 2020

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Ashmole posted:

Yeah it's pretty loving bad. You'll get TARP briefs about ISIS but none about loving boogaloo. I found a bunch of "boogaloo 2020" stickers near our building and had to explain to my (older) commander what they were so he could put out a statement against it.

Also had a another fellow company commander a couple years ago who made his LTs read Peterson - this was before I really knew who he was. That commander is super, super misogynistic and I hope he has a bunch of female subordinates who won't put up with him.

Is Boogaloo a bunch of retards LARPing or is it actually organized and have a political mission?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

No.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Howard Phillips posted:

Is Boogaloo a bunch of retards LARPing or is it actually organized and have a political mission?

Loosely affiliated I think. Some dudes just got busted by the FBI for trying to sell weapons to Hamas. I mean, it's hard to be in the military when you're hanging out with people who want a second civil war (electric boogalo)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Boogaloo is a meme on the internet that a handful of idiots and the media (also idiots) have taken too seriously.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Suntan Boy posted:

Hunter Liggett? The smoke from the fires was fun, too.

Worse. Camp Shelby.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Sooooo anyone gone to airborne school recently? It may or may not be in my future because of the unit I'm transferring to. Just wanted to get a feel for what to expect. Also I've been in for a long time so I'm not in OCS shape anymore so I've got to work on that, which I intend to.

Thoughts about the non-physical aspect of the schoolhouse? All I remember from benning is seeing the huge airborne towers when we marched to class, and being all jelly.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My class didn’t even do the big towers, too much wind (this was 2009, but I doubt a whole lot has changed there). Keep your chin tucked as much as you can, and learn to do your parachute landing falls (PLFs) right. It’ll save you from getting your bell rung too much on the swing landing trainers, or an actual jump.

Also, bring plenty of medical tape. Your hands are going to be blistered in ways you never knew existed, either from pull-ups every time you enter the company area or those drat straps on the swing landing trainers. Actual jumps won’t be so bad, the chutes respond to your tugging easier than the training rigs do.

As for the actual jumps...the zip line towers are pretty close to what you’ll feel on the plane, plus a shitload of wind (and bad Air Force piloting). The running joke for my class was “nobody ever wants to jump out of a plane, until an AF pilot is in control :v:” As long as you aren’t the first person out the door, it’ll feel about like jumping out of the little zip line towers until the wind and free fall hits you and “OH HOLY gently caress MEEEEEEEE HAIL SATAN MY CHUTE ACTUALLY OPENED”

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

White Chocolate posted:

Sooooo anyone gone to airborne school recently? It may or may not be in my future because of the unit I'm transferring to. Just wanted to get a feel for what to expect. Also I've been in for a long time so I'm not in OCS shape anymore so I've got to work on that, which I intend to.

Thoughts about the non-physical aspect of the schoolhouse? All I remember from benning is seeing the huge airborne towers when we marched to class, and being all jelly.

It's a joke of a school that shouldn't be three weeks long

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Your back and joints have my sympathies.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
It could easily be shortened to one week and accomplish exactly the same thing. As long as you’re in good shape you’ll be fine.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Pretty much all of my medical disability comes from being airborne. I'm 30 and only jumped for 3 years in my early 20s. Good luck!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm waiting on imagery of my knees to confirm how hosed they feel from my five years in the Airborne(!)

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
My back, neck, and knees look like they’re from someone twice my age because I spent months chasing jumps so I could attend Jumpmaster.

Want to know the trick to being in an Airborne unit? Jump as little as you possibly can.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

Pretty much all of my medical disability comes from being airborne. I'm 30 and only jumped for 3 years in my early 20s. Good luck!

Both my knees were replaced before 40. My back has three distinct areas of compression and pinched nerves. Every time I sneeze, I get shooting pains down my arms. Ask me about my Airborne career.

That's not even counting the massive concussion I got doing everything right- except being Airborne and being forced to jump in winds way over what is allowed for operations.

According to Airborne school, if ever needed, school can be compressed to 4 days.

Hope you like running at a bone crunching pace. It's not fast, just slow enough to be extra painful.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Well there goes all my super hooah

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

School is pretty easy. If you get assigned to a Jump Status unit, then things become more dicey over time. You can absolutely everything right, and still get hurt. Human beings weren't designed to car crash into the ground on the reg. It's not an If, it's a when. The more jumps, the greater role luck will play.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

iKon posted:

It could easily be shortened to one week and accomplish exactly the same thing. As long as you’re in good shape you’ll be fine.

your av loving owns.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I forget what the injury rate is for airborne school, but I remember it being stupidly high (even by army standards) and everything from a sprained ankle to high-speed lawn dart is on the table. The stories of someone shattering their spine on a lovely landing are all probably true, and I imagine the scenario of Blood On The Risers had to have happened FAR too many times for that to not have a basis in reality.

e:

Mr. Nice! posted:

your av loving owns.

Holy poo poo :stwoon:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
One of the commanders at my last unit broke his leg and hip at airborne school after a piece of equipment broke. So, err, good luck?

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Things are supposed to be a little better with the T-11 parachute. Slower rate of descent.

Also, av courtesy of goon Barcley.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

iKon posted:

Things are supposed to be a little better with the T-11 parachute. Slower rate of descent.

Also, av courtesy of goon Barcley.

yeah but 6 second open from 800-1200 feet is, uhh, not a lot of room for error

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

iKon posted:

Yup. It’s like being stuck in lovely high school gym class for three weeks.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You don't even need to be in good shape. I had a whole bunch of stress fractures when I went through.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Someone I know almost had the their head ripped off on their first jump in jump school because the jumpmaster didn't grab the static line. He's lucky to be alive. Caught him around and slashed his neck while it ripped his helmet off, shearing the bolts.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If the school can be that short, why don't we knock active Airborne down to a battalion that can cadre up the draftees in WWIII and quit pretending Operation Market Garden 2 is right around the corner?

Seems like the money we save on the VA side would be substantial at least.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

GD_American posted:

If the school can be that short, why don't we knock active Airborne down to a battalion that can cadre up the draftees in WWIII and quit pretending Operation Market Garden 2 is right around the corner?

Because gently caress You, that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

But then the 82nd wouldn’t get to huff it’s own farts NEAR as often all around Fayetteville! :byodood: