Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Imagine arguing coaching doesn’t matter in the NBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

cosmin posted:

Imagine arguing coaching doesn’t matter in the NBA.

:v:

e: Russ wants me to like him but I refuse until he delivers a ring ;)

https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1302086019538464768

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 5, 2020

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Carlosologist posted:

This is also a good point. Miami was an awful matchup for Milwaukee, especially considering the bubble scenario

I think mourningview’s take the other day was right. Those Atlanta teams were never beating the big 3 heat. Milwaukee’s second best player should be a beloved third banana. Bud consistently gets incredible regular season results from solid but unspectacular rosters. That’s good coaching. Giannis was -13 tonight, -7 in game two, and -14 in game one. “Just play Giannis more” doesn’t solve anything

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If you need to be delivered a playoff win you need Jim Harden not Giannis (e: my jokes were dumb despite a few edits)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Carlosologist posted:

I think Milwaukee definitely cans Bud once this series is over. Completely asinine to not run your best player out there for 40+ a night

Not a single player played 40 minutes tonight. Giannis played more than Butler did, and still was playing more minutes than him even when the Heat were down.

I feel like I'm going crazy. I think Bud has some culpability but tonights minutes for the Bucks look like every other playoff teams'.

Giannis was hobbling bad on that ankle. I think he only sat for like 2 minutes of the 4th. They has way bigger problems than just that two minutes.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 5, 2020

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Intruder posted:

:v:

I've been waiting for Jimmy Butler to stare down a baby.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Russ making a 3 then yelling poo poo at imaginary fans makes up for the final minute of Game 6.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Anthony Davis is big Jeff green with a national title

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Metapod posted:

Anthony Davis is big Jeff green with a national title

jesus christ

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Not a single player played 40 minutes tonight. Giannis played more than Butler did, and still was playing more minutes than him even when the Heat were down.

I feel like I'm going crazy. I think Bud has some culpability but tonights minutes for the Bucks look like every other playoff teams'.

Giannis was hobbling bad on that ankle. I think he only sat for like 2 minutes of the 4th. They has way bigger problems than just that two minutes.

I'm using inspiration from the Alien Covenant thread, people may not know specifically why PrometheusBud sucks, but the movieBucks clearly sucks so they latch on to things like the scientists are dumbGiannis' minutes suck

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 5, 2020

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Intruder posted:

ESPN unmute Russ you cowards

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm using inspiration from the Alien Covenant thread, people may not know specifically why PrometheusBud sucks, but the movieBucks clearly sucks so they latch on to things like the scientists Giannis' minutes suck

Have you read that big essay about the symbolism and poo poo in that movie. I don't know that I buy it or the interpretation at least as the movie was filmed and edited

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Interestingly, I recall a lot of calls for Pop to step down as HC after the 1st seed Spurs got rolled by the 8th seed Grizzlies in the 2011 WC first round. That was a horrible matchup for the Spurs as well.

If Bud can win 1 or 2 games and the front office is willing to chalk this up to a bad matchup, I think he's safe for another season. If the Bucks get swept though...

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lakers Rockets is an interesting series because the Lakers are a good deal better, but it’s literally the worst matchup in the league for them (specifically with AD at the 4)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It could be a bad matchup, but then AD posts up and the Rockets put Harden on an island with that for some reason

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Intruder posted:

It could be a bad matchup, but then AD posts up and the Rockets put Harden on an island with that for some reason

That's traditonally an assigment , bodying 4's in the post, that he's done well. AD is in hos own class, of course.

I guess we'll see what VogelKidd try to do to adjust, because the jumbo lineups don't seem like a good idea.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Dejan Bimble posted:

I guess we'll see what VogelKidd try to do to adjust, because the jumbo lineups don't seem like a good idea.

man i did not even realize that dwight howard played 10 minutes tonight.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

chunkles posted:

man i did not even realize that dwight howard played 10 minutes tonight.

Every time Jim managed to get him 1 on 1 was a treat

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/BenGolliver/status/1302100024726257665

Lebron putting some respeck on the Rockets

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Intruder posted:

Harden is a good post defender to the point I can see why the Lakers weren't going to him when it was Javale posting him up.

I dunno AD is really turnover prone in the traditional post. When he does stuff where he can take a dribble and turn he can pretty much score on anyones and I thought he was doing pretty good at that. I'm really surprised he's apparently the scapegoat of the night and the lack of shooting lives to fight another day.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 5, 2020

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1302134919142019072

and

https://twitter.com/DMoreyBurner/status/1302086835271761925

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

any nba player can stare down a crowd of drunk basketball fans. but to mean mug and cuss out a crowd of toddlers, it takes true killer instinct

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Rick posted:

Harden is a good post defender to the point I can see why the Lakers weren't going to him when it was Javale posting him up.

I dunno AD is really turnover prone in the traditional post. When he does stuff where he can take a dribble and turn he can pretty much score on anyones and I thought he was doing pretty good at that. I'm really surprised he's apparently the scapegoat of the night and the lack of shooting lives to fight another day.

Yeah Harden's a good post defender against the likes of Javale but AD is gonna eat him up. Thankfully the Rockets switched things up

As for the clip, you can't blame Russ for getting big headed about the one three he's going to hit in these playoffs

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

magic getting into dangerously spicy territory here

https://twitter.com/magicjohnson/status/1302090758074187777

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

DeimosRising posted:

I think mourningview’s take the other day was right. Those Atlanta teams were never beating the big 3 heat. Milwaukee’s second best player should be a beloved third banana. Bud consistently gets incredible regular season results from solid but unspectacular rosters. That’s good coaching. Giannis was -13 tonight, -7 in game two, and -14 in game one. “Just play Giannis more” doesn’t solve anything

I agree with this.

On paper, this Bucks team is not a number one seed title favourite. It just isn't. That's why it was so stunning when they dominated the East in 2018-19 and then this year they were even better (until the bubble). Would Middleton be the second best player on any other team left in the playoffs? Brook Lopez has transformed under Bud from a solid defender for the Nets and Lakers to a top five defensive big man in the league. Eric Bledsoe is Eric Bledsoe. George Hill was on the scrapheap until they picked him up. I think that Bud's system is wringing a lot out of most of the roster and their regular season performance the last two years has outperformed their talent level. In the playoffs though teams are specifically matching up against your strengths and weaknesses and making adjustments, and when that happens these flaws can be exposed more readily.

Is Bud a perfect coach? Obviously not. Is he the reason why the Bucks haven't won the title the last two years? No.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 5, 2020

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Intruder posted:

Know what would be cool? The #1 seed getting swept in the semis in both leagues

I think we should all root for this

I’m in

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Intruder posted:

Know what would be cool? The #1 seed getting swept in the semis in both leagues

I think we should all root for this

I hate the Heat AND the Rockets and I hope they both somehow lose.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Chairchucker posted:

I hate the Heat AND the Rockets and I hope they both somehow lose.

Whaaaa this heat team rules

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Bud is lousy and he's always been lousy.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

a new study bible! posted:

Bud is lousy and he's always been lousy.

i wouldn’t say that, he just sucks poo poo at making adjustments like dwayne casey or nate mcmillan

there’s a finite ceiling to all of his teams, and sometimes it exceeds the talent level (like in atlanta) and sometimes it’s far below the talent level like the bucks are

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The playoff stuff is annoying. He should play his best players more and change up his pick and roll coverages so he doesn't have guys dropping against loving Duncan Robinson. He has also had the most wins in the league in 3 of the last 6 seasons and I don't think anyone would argue he had the most talented team in any of those years. He is obviously not lousy. Things do not have to be either the greatest of all time or terrible, there is a big gap between those!

MourningView fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 5, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quizzlefish posted:

Whaaaa this heat team rules

I don't like Jimmy Butler.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

it's really easy to blame Bud for telling the defence to keep going under on Duncan Robinson after he's gotten like 25 clean shots in 3 games, but trying to get a team to change their defensive scheme after rigidly doing it one way to good success all season is a recipe for disaster. Not every team has a roster full of big brained defenders like toronto or boston. THat said, Bud should eb fired and Giannis should ditch those bums, join a real team dude

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

chunkles posted:

any nba player can stare down a crowd of drunk basketball fans. but to mean mug and cuss out a crowd of toddlers, it takes true killer instinct

buying a Russ jersey now.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Is Bud fired yet

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Katana_Warrior posted:

it's really easy to blame Bud for telling the defence to keep going under on Duncan Robinson after he's gotten like 25 clean shots in 3 games, but trying to get a team to change their defensive scheme after rigidly doing it one way to good success all season is a recipe for disaster. Not every team has a roster full of big brained defenders like toronto or boston. THat said, Bud should eb fired and Giannis should ditch those bums, join a real team dude

I don't think there's any reason to assume the Bucks players are too stupid to handle occasionally mixing up the defense. It seems like the big issue is that they just never practice anything else and that's a failure in coaching when you already know it can be an issue in the playoffs.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Especially when your MVP caliber player already has half a foot out of the door

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Professorjuggalo posted:

Especially when your MVP caliber player already has half a foot out of the door

I'm not sure this Giannis has actually done or said anything around this. He might leave but blaming Giannis for a bunch of speculation seems lazy.

In the 4th when the Bucks shooting dried up they responded by getting into this lazy "pass 3 times and jack a contested 3" that of course didn't work and just death spiraled them. Some of that is on the players (I doubt those were set calls) but Bud has to get his team buying into taking advantage of their transition prowess or just bullying in to get some cheap points at the foul line.

Giannis played 10 minutes of the 4th, which taking a 2 minute breather early seems like not-a-big deal especially since they were up like 8 when he sat and the dude was hobbling every time he took a hard landing. Bud couldn't play Giannis more minutes than they played at the end. Last game Giannis was sitting in some really weird times but now I don't know if that was managing a wrecked ankle or not.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

I don't think there's any reason to assume the Bucks players are too stupid to handle occasionally mixing up the defense. It seems like the big issue is that they just never practice anything else and that's a failure in coaching when you already know it can be an issue in the playoffs.

Totally, but I'm looking mostly at Brook Lopez, who was important in their drop scheme all season, but also was a pretty bad defender in every other system that he played in before it. Bud definitely should have did more earlier on to give the team a chance to be more versatile earlier in the season, but yeah he's definitely not in the Nurse/Spo/Brad Stevens echelon of coaches who are willing to make scheme adjustments after training camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

chunkles posted:

It's why he's the best