Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I swear that Packard Bell PC was the same one my aunt bought around that time. No wonder she got pissed at me when she thought I broke the damned thing because I didn't shut it down properly.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

For some reason i can only picture that paint being on a Chevy Beretta for some reason (i think someone down the street had one like that?) but google has no examples. It does have this gem though:

I could never figure out what the Beretta was supposed to be. What niche it was supposed to fill. It just looked like a cavalier with a different rear end.

The Beretta rode on the same platform as the 4-door Corsica, which itself was a special snowflake version of the N-body platform other GM cars like the Buick Somerset and Cutlass Calais rode on.

So yeah, basically a jumped-up Cavalier coupe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Laterite posted:

I'm the tucked in t-shirt

It's the Dwight Yoakum t-shirt for me.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think if I had to wear one of those sets of clothes in public I might give my apologies to the chuck e cheese rat and take his weird tux top and hope the plastic hat distracts people from the fact that I'm pantless.

pangstrom has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Sep 3, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Wait, Hewlett Packard and Packard Bell are different companies?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

90s Solo Cup posted:

The Beretta rode on the same platform as the 4-door Corsica, which itself was a special snowflake version of the N-body platform other GM cars like the Buick Somerset and Cutlass Calais rode on.

So yeah, basically a jumped-up Cavalier coupe.

Those GM cars from the late 80s-early 90s had a knack for feeling incredibly dated even when new off the lot. A friend in high school (mid-90s) had like an '89 or '90 Corsica and it was already unreliable with a rapidly degrading interior. And the Corsica was a relatively well-reviewed car for the time!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

wesleywillis posted:

Wait, Hewlett Packard and Packard Bell are different companies?

And Packard Bell didn't exactly go out of their way to make sure the customers were made aware of that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hewlett Packard Bell Telephone

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Well wait till I tell you about a little company called Packard and the cool cars they made.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Winamp Skin Museum

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Nice try buddy, i'm not going to your skin museum

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcMpJlYynBw

International Coffees.

lovely, instant, flavored coffee.

But to ten-year-old me, I thought that these were some sort of super sophisticated, fancy coffee you'd break out if the President came to visit or whatever.

Edit:
In the same vein:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

In ‘99 I got an HP Pavilion 600MHz Pentium III with 128mb memory for art school (computer animation), but when I bought Half Life in 2000, the drat thing would freeze up and crash during the opening scene when you’re on the rail car to Black Mesa. Every single time. I couldn’t figure out what it was, messed around with the video card and DirectX and all that poo poo, but I ended up uninstalling it. I had no problem with other games, just that one.

I finally beat Half Life a few months ago. In tyool 2020. On Ubuntu. Because my 7yo daughter was all into it.
That's a pretty 90s/early 2000s thing: buying a new PC game and installing it only for it to just be somehow unplayable despite your computer having adequate specs. And even if you did have internet access you weren't gonna easily find forums threads full of people posting solutions for edge cases, especially if it was something less popular.

I swear it happened at least once to basically everyone I knew back then. "Oh awesome you have Red Alert 2!" "Yeah but it doesn't work." "How come?" "Don't know." "Oh. Oh well."

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Pretty good posted:

That's a pretty 90s/early 2000s thing: buying a new PC game and installing it only for it to just be somehow unplayable despite your computer having adequate specs. And even if you did have internet access you weren't gonna easily find forums threads full of people posting solutions for edge cases, especially if it was something less popular.

I swear it happened at least once to basically everyone I knew back then. "Oh awesome you have Red Alert 2!" "Yeah but it doesn't work." "How come?" "Don't know." "Oh. Oh well."

Oh god I hated this. I saved up money to buy Worms Armageddon, got it home and installed it... only for it to crash on the opening credits screen. Could never figure out what happened.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DrBouvenstein posted:

International Coffees.

But to ten-year-old me, I thought that these were some sort of super sophisticated, fancy coffee you'd break out if the President came to visit or whatever.

That commercial is pretty accurate because coffee in France used to be notorious for being terrible. Of course we Dumb Americans ate it up because it was French.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Jean luc!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DrBouvenstein posted:

International Coffees.

Edit:
In the same vein:

Both of these looked delicious to me when I was a kid. Like you, I'd probably hate International Coffee now; too sweet. But Viennetta still looks pretty good, to be honest. Is it sold anywhere?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

This is amazing. It's cool that they all actually work as well.

The best skins were always the ones that did something neat with the equalizer bars. :colbert:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Both of these looked delicious to me when I was a kid. Like you, I'd probably hate International Coffee now; too sweet. But Viennetta still looks pretty good, to be honest. Is it sold anywhere?
Sure, in every lovely corner store in the UK. :britain:

(It is delicious. And terrible.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Der-Wreck posted:

Oh god I hated this. I saved up money to buy Worms Armageddon, got it home and installed it... only for it to crash on the opening credits screen. Could never figure out what happened.

It was 00s, but this happened to me with Ghost Master. We had a demo and it ran fine, then I got my hands on a copy only to find it crashed immediately. It wasn't until years later I got to play it for real

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yeah the Sierra Games Mac version of Shivers would load and run just fine, but always crash when trying to load a saved game. Can't tell you how many times I tried to play through the whole game without having to quit...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Decided to rewatch a couple of episodes:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/c100f53e19d847da7aadbb363b6d4ec9/tumblr_p661q36g3L1sznjqyo6_250.mp4

pantsofdoom
Nov 20, 2003

i like pants

empty baggie posted:

gently caress! I have the ringer shirt from that tour somewhere. That shirt you posted is from later in the run, because it has Elastica listed instead of Sinead O’Conner. She got pregnant and dropped out right before the Cincinnati show I saw and Elastica took her place, but my shirt still has Sinead listed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it definitely wasn't mine, but i can assume it was from a California (most likely Southern) show since i've really only ever lived with Californians.

it's a three day weekend so i brought a little somethin for the thread.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Der Kyhe posted:

The thing was to buy Pentium 75 instead of 486/DX4, pray that you didn't get the miscast one, and then a couple of years later to upgrade to the first Pentium2 (and then to the first 3 or the revised Celeron which overcloked to near-gigahertz with a reasonable air cooling). This cost like motherfucker but was probably the cheapest way of not getting electronic garbage delivered to you as a home computer.

And yes, there was a PC gaming culture in the early 90's or so, but unless you really liked PC Speaker and games that looked great on EGA, you went Amiga.

The 486/DX4 was actually a good chip. The P75 was junk. The Pentium Pro was really good. Came out in '95 or so. The P133 wasn't terrible. The regular Pentium series didn't get good until P3s. That would have been in about '02 to my memory though.

Even a P133 worked well though if you dropped an Open GL card in it. A lot of games ran Open GL at the time and it was really fast with a FireGL card. I used my FireGL card all the way until about 2002.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

You can actually click through and use them in a functional web-based Winamp, it's extremely cool.

(I was just going to say AIMP is an up-to-date player that still supports ancient Winamp skins.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

mostlygray posted:

The regular Pentium series didn't get good until P3s. That would have been in about '02 to my memory though.

Pentium III was available in ‘99, that’s when I got my HP that wouldn’t run Half-Life. It didn’t live very long either; in 2001, just as I was working on my 3D animation portfolio for graduation, the motherboard puked all over the place and I had to get another computer like immediately. I ended up building one with an AMD Athlon and way better components for probably a third of the price of the HP.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Yeah I remember getting into custom homebuilt computers in the early 2000s and feeling smug as hell that my more powerful computer was about $1000 cheaper or so than a Dell/Gateway/HP system.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Yeah I remember getting into custom homebuilt computers in the early 2000s and feeling smug as hell that my more powerful computer was about $1000 cheaper or so than a Dell/Gateway/HP system.

Me too

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

mostlygray posted:

The 486/DX4 was actually a good chip. The P75 was junk. The Pentium Pro was really good. Came out in '95 or so. The P133 wasn't terrible. The regular Pentium series didn't get good until P3s. That would have been in about '02 to my memory though.

Even a P133 worked well though if you dropped an Open GL card in it. A lot of games ran Open GL at the time and it was really fast with a FireGL card. I used my FireGL card all the way until about 2002.

Technically P54C and later (which used socket 5 or newer) were better for new systems but upgrading stuff this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am5x86 used 486 sockets and was better than Pentium 75.

Pentium 2 wasn't terrible if you uncased it so it cooled properly. However, the "budget model" Celeron-A was better in almost every way, and even with the basic air cooling it could run 33, even 66 MHz above its retail speed without any changes besides shorting the lockout pins, since most cases were designed for the boxed-in Slot 1 processors.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I recognize that hardcase anywhere, we used to carry them at the Blockbuster I worked at.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

pantsofdoom posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it definitely wasn't mine, but i can assume it was from a California (most likely Southern) show since i've really only ever lived with Californians.

it's a three day weekend so i brought a little somethin for the thread.

And in an instant it's the mid 90's and I'm taking :catdrugs: at my buddy's house and we have this on his TV while CD's play and we will be amazed that "the music TOTALLY syncs up with that animation man ..."

I don't think I've ever actually watched those tapes with the real audio.

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??
https://youtu.be/hPD_RHVFlys?t=200

Outakes from my childhood Saturday morning show

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/garaujo1/status/1302362922350522370

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Marvel was ahead on hating Segal.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Tag yourself I’m Geographic Undesirability.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Having Bo Jackson so far down the uncool thing a few months after the hip injury that effectively ended his sports career is... odd to me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fartknocker posted:

Having Bo Jackson so far down the uncool thing a few months after the hip injury that effectively ended his sports career is... odd to me.
He was in a bunch of TJ Max BoGo commercials at the time?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't know who's writing this but the idea that the Infinity Gauntlet was cooler than the Ninja Turtles in 1991 is just a little bit suspect.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Did Penn always have a Ponytail? I guess on this scale, Teller is the only cool one, which isn't exactly wrong.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ultrafilter posted:

I don't know who's writing this but the idea that the Infinity Gauntlet was cooler than the Ninja Turtles in 1991 is just a little bit suspect.

Marvel, creators of the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, created it.

Edit: Around the same time, I remember seeing a LOT of comic ads for X-Men that used the tagline:
"Kids' favorite mutants ain't turtles!"

Early 90s Marvel had a bug up their butt about TMNT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dialhforhero posted:

Tag yourself I’m Geographic Undesirability.

You mean Geographic Undesirieability.